Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by ramster »

Iowa State changes from allowing 25,000 for first game to zero
Iowa will not be playing football

Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Athletic directors and coaches only care about wins and money. University presidents and chancellors have to worry about the university writ large.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The lawsuit filed by 8 Nebraska Football Players against the Big10 has already resulted in the Big10 revealing that Vote results.
The vote was 11-3 with Nebraska, Iowa and Ohio State voting against postponing the season to 2021.

These 8 Nebraska Players could save Big10 Football. Big10 Did not want to reveal voting results.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.c ... atform=amp
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Could re-vote tomorrow - Friday

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago When a poster calls the President of the United States an asshole in this thread then you should address that. That is clearly politics and should never, ever be allowed.

It is still unaddressed :roll:

Sorry my context was nebulous to you. It came right after RhodyKyle had Posted the CNBC article to support what Chico was saying. You chose to mention me but not the obvious political discord poster(s).

The only mention I made of politics was the tweet of the President Trump meeting with the Big 10 Commissioner regarding getting the Big 10 Football Season going. To me that’s not Politics, it is newsworthy. I’m one if the few here wanting College Football
Played along with fans in attendance.

Big 10 will play I think and hope.

High school football now approved by Governors of Pennsylvania and Ohio is making Ohio State and Penn State look bad for not playing. Imagine the Big Time State Schools not playing while High Schools play?

The Governor decisions are not political but newsworthy.

You could infer that the Michigan Governor not approving Football is political but I’d prefer to stick to the news implications than conjecture about political biases.
I'm the one who called him an asshole. I will forever stand by my comment. My wife's life is on the line.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Imagine protesting over high school football with all the other stuff going on in this country? Like, I get that people love football, and I even get that the players want to play. It’s a complicated situation and no matter what is decided some people will be upset and think the decision was absolutely crazy. But to protest about it just seems like a pretty damning statement about where we are at as a culture in terms of our priorities and our ability to focus.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The only mention I made of politics was the tweet of the President Trump meeting with the Big 10 Commissioner regarding getting the Big 10 Football Season going. To me that’s not Politics, it is newsworthy. I’m one if the few here wanting College Football
So there is political gain there and I'll tell you why I think so. Look at the "perennial" swing states:

Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Wisconsin.

What do 6 of those 12 states have in common? They are home to Big 10 football programs (7 of them), major state universities with many alumnus who like yourself, want to see football played.Why aren't we hearing stories about how Donald Trump is pleading with Larry Scott and the Pac-12 to play football the way he has spoken about Big 10 football?

Politics ... The President doesn't want Big 10 football because he looks forward to watching Indiana play Northwestern on a Saturday afternoon in November. When the President speaks, like most politicians, there are usually political reasons for it.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
So there is political gain there and I'll tell you why I think so. Look at the "perennial" swing states:

Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Wisconsin.

What do 6 of those 12 states have in common? They are home to Big 10 football programs (7 of them), major state universities with many alumnus who like yourself, want to see football played.Why aren't we hearing stories about how Donald Trump pleading with Larry Scott and the Pac-12 to play football the way he has spoken about Big 10 football?

Politics ... The President doesn't want Big 10 football because he looks forward to watching Indiana play Northwestern on a Saturday afternoon in November. When the President speaks, like most politicians, there is usually political reasons for it.
For the same reason he's telling the CDC to tell states to get ready for a vaccine by late October. Everything he does is so obvious.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
Athletic directors and coaches only care about wins and money. University presidents and chancellors have to worry about the university writ large.
Absolutely. The elephant in the room here is that the NCAA, historically, is *insistent* that athletes can't possibly ever be paid for their sports, BUT, the financial hit that the schools are taking are so substantial that they have to allow athletics with safeguards. It's a really, really thin line of distinction they're making here. (And also frequently left out when mentioning "the players want to play!" is that they also asked to be recognized as a group with bargaining rights.)
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Could re-vote tomorrow - Friday

With 495 Positive Cases, Ohio State Becomes Ohio's Second Worst Active COVID-19 Outbreak
https://spectrumnews1.com/oh/columbus/n ... er-in-ohio
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PSU football doctor: 30-35 percent of COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes had myocarditis

Read more here: https://www.centredaily.com/sports/coll ... rylink=cpy
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

When we looked at our COVID-positive athletes, whether they were symptomatic or not, 30 to roughly 35 percent of their heart muscles (are) inflamed,” Sebastianelli said. “And we really just don’t know what to do with it right now. It’s still very early in the infection. Some of that has led to the Pac-12 and the Big Ten’s decision to sort of put a hiatus on what’s happening.”

This is scary stuff, these aren't people in the risk pool with pre-existing conditions. They are 18-22 year old
well conditioned athletes. The top of the food chain and one third of positive tester had potentially fatal
heart conditions.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

How about the dozens of professional baseball players that were positive then stepped back on the field a week later and still have no issues? Does it eventually heal?
GO RAMS
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

CHICO 78 wrote: 3 years ago When we looked at our COVID-positive athletes, whether they were symptomatic or not, 30 to roughly 35 percent of their heart muscles (are) inflamed,” Sebastianelli said. “And we really just don’t know what to do with it right now. It’s still very early in the infection. Some of that has led to the Pac-12 and the Big Ten’s decision to sort of put a hiatus on what’s happening.”

This is scary stuff, these aren't people in the risk pool with pre-existing conditions. They are 18-22 year old
well conditioned athletes. The top of the food chain and one third of positive tester had potentially fatal
heart conditions.
CHICO - I agree it is scary. The question is (and no one really has a good answer) is how often Myocarditis occurs after any virus. The reason we know that it is happening to these top athletes after COVID is because we are looking for it. Does it also happen after a cold virus or any number of viruses our bodies fight off in a given year? Do we check the size of someone's heart after they get over the sniffles?

Maybe this is significant concern. Maybe it is just a fairly routine reaction to a virus that we are catching because we are really examining people now after this virus. I agree it is something that needs to be considered and reviewed but I would not go so far as to say "one third tester had potentially fatal heart conditions." A lot of top college athletes have undiagnosed heart problems before COVID. If COVID gets the colleges to examine the health of their athletes in a more comprehensive way maybe that is a good thing.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Shocking probably nobody, schools aren't willing to divulge how much testing they're doing: https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... -test-data
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago

With 495 Positive Cases, Ohio State Becomes Ohio's Second Worst Active COVID-19 Outbreak
With this breakout at Ohio St I don’t see how the Big Ten can reverse its course and play in 2020 ??
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago Why even engage at this point? This small group has been posting takes by every charlatan or “doctor” twisting statistics since this started. It’s exhausting and pointless to argue. Clearly there’s a deadly virus and clearly it will have an effect on basketball this year, none of us know what will happen, but anyone with half a brain knows this isn’t just some overhyped global conspiracy.

To those who think otherwise, I can’t believe you actually graduated college with your ability to filter data. I’d love to know what your major was...
BS Accounting
MBA
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago Why even engage at this point? This small group has been posting takes by every charlatan or “doctor” twisting statistics since this started. It’s exhausting and pointless to argue. Clearly there’s a deadly virus and clearly it will have an effect on basketball this year, none of us know what will happen, but anyone with half a brain knows this isn’t just some overhyped global conspiracy.

To those who think otherwise, I can’t believe you actually graduated college with your ability to filter data. I’d love to know what your major was...
And you... you must be an epidemiologist?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

you just wanna bomb majority brown countries, don't you? Why do you hate those people?
Yeah,
I guess Dr Fauci does too because what I posted came straight from the CNBC article. Damn facts.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/01/fauci-d ... in-us.html
ramster - I think if you had linked to an article without the commentary that it is “interesting that only 6% died of Covid as the sole cause of death” we’d have been fine. Obviously if you ignore the context of all the other discussion prior to your post in this thread, that seems innocent enough. But as has been a explained in this thread by me and others, cherry-picking a data point without any contextualization can be misleading and doing that during a public health crisis irresponsible. The “fact” that you shared without context has become a talking point for certain people trying to make an argument that the COVID threat is overstated, when it actually doesn’t suggest that at all when you consider the context - which had also been discussed in this thread prior to you post. I’m not sure whether you know all this and are playing dumb about or not, but either way we aren’t going to make this ptc back up youroe a source for misleading information that could potentially jeopardize people’s health.
Can you make more stuff up? Please share this post to back up your claim. I have not seen anyone post “interesting that only 6% died of Covid as the sole cause of death” . Please enlighten us.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

Yeah,
I guess Dr Fauci does too because what I posted came straight from the CNBC article. Damn facts.

ramster - I think if you had linked to an article without the commentary that it is “interesting that only 6% died of Covid as the sole cause of death” we’d have been fine. Obviously if you ignore the context of all the other discussion prior to your post in this thread, that seems innocent enough. But as has been a explained in this thread by me and others, cherry-picking a data point without any contextualization can be misleading and doing that during a public health crisis irresponsible. The “fact” that you shared without context has become a talking point for certain people trying to make an argument that the COVID threat is overstated, when it actually doesn’t suggest that at all when you consider the context - which had also been discussed in this thread prior to you post. I’m not sure whether you know all this and are playing dumb about or not, but either way we aren’t going to make this ptc back up youroe a source for misleading information that could potentially jeopardize people’s health.
Can you make more stuff up? Please share this post to back up your claim. I have not seen anyone post “interesting that only 6% died of Covid as the sole cause of death” . Please enlighten us.
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Interesting that only 6% died of Covid as the sole cause of death.

There were more than 161,300 death certificates that listed Covid-19 among the possible causes of death as of Aug. 22, according to NCHS. About 6% of the certificates that mention Covid-19 list it as the sole cause on the death certificate. The remaining 94% included other causes alongside Covid-19.
People who are older are at greater risk for serious illness, and possibly death, from Covid-19. The CDC reports that 8 out of 10 Covid-19 deaths reported in the U.S. are people over 65 years old.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago When a poster calls the President of the United States an asshole in this thread then you should address that. That is clearly politics and should never, ever be allowed.

It is still unaddressed :roll:

Sorry my context was nebulous to you. It came right after RhodyKyle had Posted the CNBC article to support what Chico was saying. You chose to mention me but not the obvious political discord poster(s).

Big 10 will play I think and hope.

High school football now approved by Governors of Pennsylvania and Ohio is making Ohio State and Penn State look bad for not playing. Imagine the Big Time State Schools not playing while High Schools play?

The Governor decisions are not political but newsworthy.

You could infer that the Michigan Governor not approving Football is political but I’d prefer to stick to the news implications than conjecture about political biases.
I'm the one who called him an asshole. I will forever stand by my comment. My wife's life is on the line.
I know, but I am the poster that got blamed for bringing politics into the discussion - which I did not do.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Interesting that only 6% died of Covid as the sole cause of death.

There were more than 161,300 death certificates that listed Covid-19 among the possible causes of death as of Aug. 22, according to NCHS. About 6% of the certificates that mention Covid-19 list it as the sole cause on the death certificate. The remaining 94% included other causes alongside Covid-19.
People who are older are at greater risk for serious illness, and possibly death, from Covid-19. The CDC reports that 8 out of 10 Covid-19 deaths reported in the U.S. are people over 65 years old.
This was directly from the article.........
RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago
CHICO 78 wrote: 3 years ago Don't look to Trump for science info. Not from a man who thinks research should be conducted to see if you inject a toxin (bleach , Lysol) into your veins it will cure Covid. Maybe he CDC should have thought about the fact that many, many people are to stupid to understand the concept of Comorbidity when they put out those numbers. Here's the science below. Some of you need to read this VERY SLOWLY SO YOU WILL UNDERSTAND IT!!!

White House coronavirus advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci debunked online theories promoted by President Donald Trump that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has changed its guidance for tallying coronavirus deaths, showing a fraction of total Covid-19 fatalities.

On Sunday, Twitter removed a post retweeted by Trump that claimed the CDC had "quietly" updated its guidance to indicate only 6% of the country's coronavirus death toll — roughly 9,000 deaths — was actually caused by the virus, according to a
The tweet said the remaining 94% had "other serious illnesses."
Fauci told the ABC program "Good Morning America" on Tuesday that the CDC guidance, last updated on Aug. 26, indicates that of the people who have died from the virus, "a certain percentage of them had nothing else but just Covid." However, people with underlying illnesses also die from Covid-19, he said.
"That does not mean that someone who has hypertension or diabetes who dies of Covid didn't die of Covid-19. They did," Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told the program. "So the numbers you've been hearing -- there are 180,000-plus deaths -- are real deaths from Covid-19. Let (there) not be any confusion about that."
"It's not 9,000 deaths from Covid-19, it's 180-plus-thousand deaths," Fauci said.
[/b]
Just to throw the source for Chico's post.

Explains the misrepresented facts in the CDC link.
So here you go theblueram and tp...........

If you read the entire article you will see that only 6% of deaths have Covid-19 as the sole cause of death.

Why I find this interesting from the CNBC Article is that the vast majority of College Football Players do not have other medical issues that people 65+ often have such as weight issues, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart related issues, etc. The 6% in the article tells me that College Football Players statistically should have much less fear of Covid than 65+, something that is very obvious to all so I am surprised I was accused of bringing politics into the discussion, It was never, ever my intent to being in politics so I sincerely apologize that people interpreted my comment that way.

There are many political comments in this thread that have gone uncommented upon, but I digress.

I am 100% for all College Football to be played. Period. And I have been all along. I know that pisses posters off here.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago

What do 6 of those 12 states have in common? They are home to Big 10 football programs (7 of them), major state universities with many alumnus who like yourself, want to see football played.Why aren't we hearing stories about how Donald Trump is pleading with Larry Scott and the Pac-12 to play football the way he has spoken about Big 10 football?

Politics ... The President doesn't want Big 10 football because he looks forward to watching Indiana play Northwestern on a Saturday afternoon in November. When the President speaks, like most politicians, there are usually political reasons for it.
I don't care about politics, I just want College, Professional and High School Football to be played - period.

RJ, you have stated how proud you were that the Big10 and Pac10 decided not to play football. Many thought the SEC, ACC and Big12 would follow the example of the Pac10 and the Big10 - they didn't. The AAC, Conference e USA and the Sunbelt didn't follow either.

All Big10 Athletic Directors and Head Coaches wanted to play - it was the 11-3 vote by the University Presidents led by the Commissioner who turned down playing til next season.

Notre Dame threw a major wrench in when they chose to play with the ACC and they were allowed to play for the ACC Conference Championship. That was welcome news for the ACC and for Notre Dame - smart move by both.

Nebraska, Ohio State and Iowa Presidents voted against moving Football to next year. That was not revealed to the Public until the 8 Players from Nebraska got together with a hired Lawyer to sue the Big10 to reveal information that the decision to not play was based on. ESPN was able to obtain the 11-3 vote.

We wait and see what the Big10 does - my guess is they chose to play starting October 10 or sooner - but if they don't they don't.

My comments are politics neutral - not going near that trap. (again???)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago

Ohio State reported 882 positive coronavirus tests among students through Monday. While the overall student positivity rate stands at 3.13%, the 24-hour positivity rate for off-campus students Monday was 9.66%.

Positive coronavirus tests among students at Ohio State University jumped by nearly 400 since late last week, according to new data released by the university late Wednesday.

Ohio State’s updated data dashboard showed 882 total positive cases among students from Aug. 14 through Aug. 31. That’s about 3.13% of the total student tests. However, that figure reflects the number of positive tests, not individuals, and because Ohio State is testing students every week, it’s possible the total could include some students tested more than once, university officials said.

The university’s seven-day and 24-hour statistics, though, reflect the number of individuals who test positive, not the number of positive tests.

Test results for Monday, the most recent 24-hour testing period for which data was available, showed that 171 on-campus students, or 5.7%, tested positive during that period. On the same day, 98 off-campus students, or 9.66%, tested positive. Wednesday was the first time that the university separated on-campus and off-campus data on student testing.

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200903/ ... g-students
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In a relatively stunning reversal compared to what the world was like even just last week, the state of Michigan has reversed course and is reinstating Fall sports to begin in two weeks — September 17th. This, of course, includes football season. Padded practices return next week.

It was just August 26th that Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer said she was “glad” that the Big Ten opted to postpone Fall football season. She had previously been alleged to be a “roadblock” in the conference returning to play. This news affected Michigan and Michigan State, obviously.

The path for high school sports to return to play was set forth by an executive order from Whitmer.

“With 25 states practicing and playing games and another eight states ready to go in a couple of days, it’s different than three weeks ago,” Michigan High School Athletic Association executive director Mark Uyl told the Detroit Free Press. “You’re seeing states, whose COVID-19 numbers are far worse than Michigan’s. It has been, nationwide, a very successful start to the year.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

from the article....

“Thirty three other states are currently participating in all fall sports, and the MHSAA and its member schools are committed to doing this as safely as possible. We are ready to again provide those experiences to students and communities that have hoped for a return of some normalcy. Given the challenges of online education in many school districts across the state, providing sports and a daily routine may be more important than ever in motivating students and providing a safe outlet for physical activity, competition and socialization.”

The state of Ohio announced last month it would allow for high school football in the fall.

The Big Ten Conference canceled the fall football season on Aug. 11, drawing sharp criticism from players, coaches and athletic administrators. There are reports, however, that the conference is in talks to begin a football season later this fall, either in October or November.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

This was directly from the article.........
RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago
CHICO 78 wrote: 3 years ago Don't look to Trump for science info. Not from a man who thinks research should be conducted to see if you inject a toxin (bleach , Lysol) into your veins it will cure Covid. Maybe he CDC should have thought about the fact that many, many people are to stupid to understand the concept of Comorbidity when they put out those numbers. Here's the science below. Some of you need to read this VERY SLOWLY SO YOU WILL UNDERSTAND IT!!!

White House coronavirus advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci debunked online theories promoted by President Donald Trump that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has changed its guidance for tallying coronavirus deaths, showing a fraction of total Covid-19 fatalities.

On Sunday, Twitter removed a post retweeted by Trump that claimed the CDC had "quietly" updated its guidance to indicate only 6% of the country's coronavirus death toll — roughly 9,000 deaths — was actually caused by the virus, according to a
The tweet said the remaining 94% had "other serious illnesses."
Fauci told the ABC program "Good Morning America" on Tuesday that the CDC guidance, last updated on Aug. 26, indicates that of the people who have died from the virus, "a certain percentage of them had nothing else but just Covid." However, people with underlying illnesses also die from Covid-19, he said.
"That does not mean that someone who has hypertension or diabetes who dies of Covid didn't die of Covid-19. They did," Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told the program. "So the numbers you've been hearing -- there are 180,000-plus deaths -- are real deaths from Covid-19. Let (there) not be any confusion about that."
"It's not 9,000 deaths from Covid-19, it's 180-plus-thousand deaths," Fauci said.
[/b]
Just to throw the source for Chico's post.

Explains the misrepresented facts in the CDC link.
So here you go theblueram and tp...........

If you read the entire article you will see that only 6% of deaths have Covid-19 as the sole cause of death.

Why I find this interesting from the CNBC Article is that the vast majority of College Football Players do not have other medical issues that people 65+ often have such as weight issues, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart related issues, etc. The 6% in the article tells me that College Football Players statistically should have much less fear of Covid than 65+, something that is very obvious to all so I am surprised I was accused of bringing politics into the discussion, It was never, ever my intent to being in politics so I sincerely apologize that people interpreted my comment that way.

There are many political comments in this thread that have gone uncommented upon, but I digress.

I am 100% for all College Football to be played. Period. And I have been all along. I know that pisses posters off here.
See, the highlighted is all I needed to be included in the original post to get your application to college football. I think you'd understand how just saying it is interesting with no context would give us the impression this is just one of those "alternative facts" used by virus deniers. To address the above point, I would disagree because A) the players aren't in a bubble so there is nothing stopping them from interacting with people having comorbidities and being a spreader while not impacted themselves, B) So much is unknown in regards to heart impacts (see ERod of the Red Sox, he may be an isolated case or maybe this will be more common among athletes, no one knows for sure), and C) Colleges are opening themselves up to major liability if they get an unlucky draw and one of the (likely) few deaths occur to one of their players. Maybe a Big Ten will do the calculus and conclude that the money at stake in the TV contract is worth the risk.

But this is a debate we can have. I just can't get into a discussion when my eyes are rolling into the back of my head from someone sharing a "hoax" infowars-type facebook post or twisting a fraction of a sentence way out of proportion. And yes, I'll preemptively say on the left there are some who have a "negative Nancy" viewpoint that everyone should be holed up in their homes 24/7 with no exception. Fact is that the virus has really slowed down here in the northeast because people are taking precautions as directed by the northeast governors in particular. There was a spike in RI likely as a result of the typical 4th of July social celebrations but it was a very small blip. Based on the national numbers later this summer I can't have the same rosy outlook on the country as a whole yet which is why I don't want to "spike the football" (pun not intended?) just yet.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

ramster, you attest that young people have less to fear from Cv than 65+ers. Please understand that there is plenty to fear from contracting Cv19 no matter the age of the infected, it should be fear of the unknown, as I've mentioned we have no idea yet what the long term implications are of contracting Cv19. As far as we know, once you contract a virus it's in you forever, kids could get it now and feel or suffer complications from it years from now. Could get it and it be a factor for future generations or it could render sterility, etc. etc.. We don't know yet the vastness of what we don't know about Cv19. This is a REAL concern. I'm really eager to watch CBB and CFB, but as I've said people need to be aware that there is far less known about Cv19 than there is known.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Selfishly, I hope we have some sort of college basketball season. But to the degree that the attempt at a football season is a barometer, it’s not looking great. What a farce.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Selfishly, I hope we have some sort of college basketball season. But to the degree that the attempt at a football season is a barometer, it’s not looking great. What a farce.
I think it’s pretty early to judge the College Football Season a farce.

TCU and SMU was not a scheduled game until August 15, 2020. It’s not a conference game as TCU plays in the Big12, SMU plays in the AAC.

They have only postponed the game to hopefully reschedule to later in the season, the game is not cancelled.

SMU plays in San Marcus Texas vs Texas State today to kick of their season on ESPN at 3:30pm today

Article on the practices SMU Football has put into place to Prevent Covid 19 with their football players and staff.

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago FBS off to a great start...

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/09/04/tcu ... tests/amp/
The SMU vs TCU game was not put together until August 15, 2020 as both teams had an OOC scheduling opportunity.

TCU has the highest number of cases of any Texas School as per The NY Times with 883.

Missing in NY Times is the number of people tested at each school - it’s not in a per capita basis.

SMU has 113 cases while Texas State University 232 cases.

SMU opens their season today, Saturday at 3:30pm at TSU on ESPN. It was TCU’s decision to postpone the Sept 12 game with SMU.

C9973807-70EE-4339-8369-D6B61052FB1D.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Atlantic 10 Covid Cases as per NYTimes. NY Times does not provide number of tests conducted so is not on a per capita basis

Dayton 911
VCU 122
St Louis 54
URI 17
Davidson 14
St Joseph’s 12
UMASS 12
George Mason 10
Richmond 9
LaSalle 2
St Bonaventure 1
George Washington 1
Duquesne 0
Fordham 0

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... acker.html
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago ramster, you attest that young people have less to fear from Cv than 65+ers. Please understand that there is plenty to fear from contracting Cv19 no matter the age of the infected, it should be fear of the unknown, as I've mentioned we have no idea yet what the long term implications are of contracting Cv19. As far as we know, once you contract a virus it's in you forever, kids could get it now and feel or suffer complications from it years from now. Could get it and it be a factor for future generations or it could render sterility, etc. etc.. We don't know yet the vastness of what we don't know about Cv19. This is a REAL concern. I'm really eager to watch CBB and CFB, but as I've said people need to be aware that there is far less known about Cv19 than there is known.
I don’t disagree with anything you say. All true.

That’s why I support players choosing not to play Sports at any level, it’s absolutely their choice.
Some Players in the NFL, NBA, MLB, College Football, High School Football, Little League Baseball, etc have chosen the path not
Play.
Some Doctors and Nurses have chosen to not work during Covid because of their fears and concerns. Perfectly ok.

I also think it’s a players choice TO play College Football, High School Football and even PeeWee Football if their Team/Conference/Community offers it.

37 States have now approved High School Football. Let the players and their families choose whether to play or not play.

Here is an article citing players whose families have moved from California to Iowa and from Illinois to Florida so they can play High School Football. (This is a non-political statement):

Iowa and Florida are among 37 states that delayed but permitted fall football, while 17 have postponed the sport until 2021 and 14 — most of them in the Midwest and Mountain regions — have decided to allow all fall sports seasons to proceed as usual during COVID-19.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pa ... y-n1238736

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/qiL5GOXkF ... ndemic.htm
D66AB2D0-7519-436E-8F3A-DADDD5D413FD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago ramster, you attest that young people have less to fear from Cv than 65+ers. Please understand that there is plenty to fear from contracting Cv19 no matter the age of the infected, it should be fear of the unknown, as I've mentioned we have no idea yet what the long term implications are of contracting Cv19. As far as we know, once you contract a virus it's in you forever, kids could get it now and feel or suffer complications from it years from now. Could get it and it be a factor for future generations or it could render sterility, etc. etc.. We don't know yet the vastness of what we don't know about Cv19. This is a REAL concern. I'm really eager to watch CBB and CFB, but as I've said people need to be aware that there is far less known about Cv19 than there is known.
I don’t disagree with anything you say. All true.

That’s why I support players choosing not to play Sports at any level, it’s absolutely their choice.
Some Players in the NFL, NBA, MLB, College Football, High School Football, Little League Baseball, etc have chosen the path not
Play.
Some Doctors and Nurses have chosen to not work during Covid because of their fears and concerns. Perfectly ok.

I also think it’s a players choice TO play College Football, High School Football and even PeeWee Football if their Team/Conference/Community offers it.

37 States have now approved High School Football. Let the players and their families choose whether to play or not play.

Here is an article citing players whose families have moved from California to Iowa and from Illinois to Florida so they can play High School Football. (This is a non-political statement):

Iowa and Florida are among 37 states that delayed but permitted fall football, while 17 have postponed the sport until 2021 and 14 — most of them in the Midwest and Mountain regions — have decided to allow all fall sports seasons to proceed as usual during COVID-19.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pa ... y-n1238736

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/qiL5GOXkF ... ndemic.htm

D66AB2D0-7519-436E-8F3A-DADDD5D413FD.jpeg
For the pro leagues, I agree. They have collective bargaining and can work out the parameters, payments and service time in the event some players do not play. However for those without this leverage, despite what the individual leagues or conferences may say about not penalizing those who sit out, there doesn't tend to be a level playing field without something in writing.

Johnny Wildpitch in Little League may have his future spot on the traveling all-star team in jeopardy due to sitting out ("he can't be counted on"), or while being careful to not say the reason is due to their sitting out during Covid, a college player may get called in by the coach next year and be told "it's not working out here, I think it is best you look into transferring rather than being stuck to the bench."

Unless there is more than of a collaborative effort such as at the pro level, the players are not going to feel free in making their own choice regarding sitting out this fall/winter.*

Some families will go the other way to seek out opportunities to play and that is expected, but I wouldn't ask states that are uncomfortable with proceeding with sports to change course because of "freedom". We're in the middle of a pandemic with so many unknowns out there.

* Of course there are exceptions, such as guaranteed high draft picks who have millions waiting for them when being drafted in 2021, or athletes from well-to-do families who will not need to drop out if their scholarship is lost.

Edit: Added last point to address the traveling athletes in your example.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

yeah ramster, I agree personal choice should be a factor, if there are enough players and coaches still willing to give it a go after hearing/learning all the current info and fully understanding the point I've been making about how much is unknown, then great! Entertain me. And I don't want to be poking around for negatives, but how about the adult support staff with the lower reward, higher risk jobs that will be required to work and essential to the product? Yes they also have a choice but they're likely at a little more of a disadvantage in terms of financial options. For sure a minor hurdle compared to some others, but people to be considered none the less.

I will say, I do have a friend who has been working in a university setting right along in lab teams, about 2 dozen people in total and they have been fine, no cases. Also have a friend who is a reporter in Orlando for one of the local news stations and they have been covering all manner of things throughout this period, including "protests" with large crowds. They are working in small teams only rotating people in and out of teams under urgent circumstances and no cases in the building since the beginning. So, anecdotally, I'm inclined to believe that if your group is truly committed to limiting contact, wearing their masks etc. outside of the group, then your group, team, organization should very likely stay Cv free.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Atlantic 10 Covid Cases as per NYTimes. NY Times does not provide number of tests conducted so is not on a per capita basis

Dayton 911
VCU 122
St Louis 54
URI 17
Davidson 14
St Joseph’s 12
UMASS 12
George Mason 10
Richmond 9
LaSalle 2
St Bonaventure 1
George Washington 1
Duquesne 0
Fordham 0

In other news, Duquesne and Fordham actually at the top of A-10 standings in something! :lol:
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

NHRamFan wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Atlantic 10 Covid Cases as per NYTimes. NY Times does not provide number of tests conducted so is not on a per capita basis

Dayton 911
VCU 122
St Louis 54
URI 17
Davidson 14
St Joseph’s 12
UMASS 12
George Mason 10
Richmond 9
LaSalle 2
St Bonaventure 1
George Washington 1
Duquesne 0
Fordham 0

In other news, Duquesne and Fordham actually at the top of A-10 standings in something! :lol:
I look at it the other way, they are in dead last. Fordham doesn't try hard enough in basketball or at catching Covid even though they are in the middle of a damn city!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago
NHRamFan wrote: 3 years ago

Dayton 911
VCU 122
St Louis 54
URI 17
Davidson 14
St Joseph’s 12
UMASS 12
George Mason 10
Richmond 9
LaSalle 2
St Bonaventure 1
George Washington 1
Duquesne 0
Fordham 0

I look at it the other way, they are in dead last. Fordham doesn't try hard enough in basketball or at catching Covid even though they are in the middle of a damn city!
Yep, so's Duquesne. Weak. Boot 'em.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Slava Ukraini!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Based on his character and track record, I'm pretty confident Coach Cox will be able to send a message to his players to act responsibly.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on URI party responsibly
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

email sent out by Governor Raimondo in advance of the Labor Day Weekend...........President Dooley should put all URI Students, Faculty and Staff and Student Athletes on the Governor's Email Distribution List for Covid. Labor Day Weekend was specifically targeted.

Today I want to share with you two graphs that tell us a lot about where we’ve been, where we are, and what we need to do to keep ourselves and our loved ones safe.

The first graph is today's COVID-19 data released by the Department of Health. As you can see, we administered 8,870 tests, we were able to maintain a 0.7% positivity rate, and thankfully, we had no new deaths. This data shows that Rhode Islanders are working hard to keep COVID-19 contained, and it's working. Thank you. I know we have all had to cancel events and gatherings we were looking forward to, but it's saving lives.

It’s critical that we keep working hard to stop the spread of COVID-19 – especially this Labor Day weekend.

Click the graph to see check the Department of Health's COVID-19 data dashboard.
Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 7.34.25 AM.png
The second graph I want to show you today illustrates what happened after the Fourth of July. Before that, we had days with new cases in the twenties and thirties, and even as low as the teens. It took a lot of time, hard work and sacrifice to get there from our peak at the end of April, when we had days with more than 400 new cases.

But then, soon after the Fourth of July, we saw a spike in cases because people did not follow the rules. People got together in big groups. They had big parties and barbecues. They weren’t wearing their masks and they weren’t practicing social distancing. That's not guesswork - we did extensive interviewing with people who tested positive to learn about where they contracted the virus. We know for a fact that because of that behavior, our daily case numbers jumped into the triple digits.

It’s important to remember that COVID-19 can turn on a dime. The minute we start to go back up the curve, cases can spread exponentially, and the only way to bring it back down is to tighten restrictions. On this slide you see a clear inflection point on the Fourth of July. But you also see a second inflection point a few weeks ago, when new hospitalizations started ticking down again. This timing also has a clear correlation – this time to our lowering of the social gathering limit to 15 and early closures of bars.

COVID-19 does not care what day it is. It will not take the day off on Labor Day, even if you really, really want it to. It is still not safe to gather in large groups over the long weekend, and doing so puts your health, the economy, and the lives of your fellow Rhode Islanders at risk.

Now is not the time to let our guard down. We cannot let Labor Day become another inflection point on this graph. If we wear masks and keep our gatherings small, outdoors, and socially distanced, we can continue on our current trajectory. But if we don’t follow the rules this weekend, if we let up like we did on the Fourth of July, we will see it in the data over the next few weeks, right as kids are getting back to school. Please, be responsible this weekend.

We're all in this together,

-Gina Raimondo
Governor
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Fine, blueram. I don’t care about the semantics of that and it is veering way off topic. I said my piece about it. I think it is super irresponsible to imply that “hey the CDC says only 8% of reported COVID deaths are actually due to COVID” (which is what I’ve been seeing from people for 3 days now) which is either a misinterpretation or misrepresentation of the data (depending on whether you really don’t understand it or you do and are deliberately trying to mislead people). I don’t want to get into a larger discussion about this and every possible peripheral issue. I think it’s important to clarify what the data says because of the public health implications of misinformation on this point. Otherwise I’d rather not clutter the board with stupid political debate.
Thinking about it again, I didn't imply anything. I just quoted the CDC.So how am I being "super irresponsible" by quoting the CDC? It's not a misinterpretation. It's what the gd CDC said. I posted the article for people to read and form their own opinion. Their OWN OPINION. This is coming straight from the CDC. So read the data. It's coming straight from the CDC. If you listen to another source let me known so I can follow them as well.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Taking what the CDC says out context to promote a totally false view of the pandemic is not admirable on any level.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Fine, blueram. I don’t care about the semantics of that and it is veering way off topic. I said my piece about it. I think it is super irresponsible to imply that “hey the CDC says only 8% of reported COVID deaths are actually due to COVID” (which is what I’ve been seeing from people for 3 days now) which is either a misinterpretation or misrepresentation of the data (depending on whether you really don’t understand it or you do and are deliberately trying to mislead people). I don’t want to get into a larger discussion about this and every possible peripheral issue. I think it’s important to clarify what the data says because of the public health implications of misinformation on this point. Otherwise I’d rather not clutter the board with stupid political debate.
It's real big of you to not want to have a political debate after spouting off as usual. :roll:
If you're going to be a moderator, I guess you get to do that. Fine by me, but, don't pretend that this is equal opportunity debate and voice for all...let's just be clear about it. It's not, "no politics at all", it's "no politics unless you're a moderator."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

URI was shown on the NBC nightly news about the party that was held