Elam Ending

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Elam Ending

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

There has been some discussion on the Scout board regarding an article written on a UMASS Basketball source.

https://www.masslive.com/umassbasketbal ... utour.html

I'm a fan of the Elam Ending, don't think it'll ever invade the college or professional games because of traditionalists, but curious on thoughts.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Elam Ending

Unread post by TruePoint »

Against all my traditionalist instincts, I actually agree that this would improve the game.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I like the idea of trying it in the preseason NIT. I haven’t watched the TBT so I don’t know how it plays out. But it seems intriguing.
Slava Ukraini!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago I like the idea of trying it in the preseason NIT. I haven’t watched the TBT so I don’t know how it plays out. But it seems intriguing.
If you have 15-20 mins, go to your ESPN app and watch the end of TMT/Herd That Round of 16 from the TBT this year.

It was compelling basketball, but the best part is that the two teams are playing basketball.

One team isn't getting a lead and sitting on the ball and getting fouled and taking foul shots.

Both teams have an investment in trying to score while also playing defense.

Even the team up 8 points with 5 minutes left, one strategy might say "Slow if up to try to get to the U4," where another one could be "let's try to score a couple more times and make the number higher."

And then once in the Elam Ending, both teams need to have quality offense and quality defense to win the game.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Interesting concept but right now it’s a No for me
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I love it...then again, I think artificial turf and the DH is cool, too....
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

It takes strategy out of the game.
NCAAs or Bust!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Why does it take strategy out of the game?

I think it rewards a team for playing 40 mins.

In the current system, you can get up 15-20 points U8 in the 2nd half, you basically coast to the finish.

Guys start playing the shot clock, trying to bleed out possessions by playing conservative, just waiting for the clock to read 0:00.

Fans are bored, doing the same thing.

Then if the game gets close enough at the end, fans watch a parade of free throws.

One team hopes for the miss, the other hopes for the make.

Game grinds as between timeouts and fouls, you are lucky to get more than 10 seconds of consecutive action, making 2 minutes become 15-20 minutes.

Elam Ending, you have strategy on how you approach the ending.

You are also encouraged to keep playing with high energy to the finish.

U4, team is encouraged to keep playing basketball, not trying to play the clock.

You can be up 14, but still need to take the best shot and put the ball in the basket.

To me that’s awesome.
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

I love this idea, I just wish it was more then 8 points something like 10. 1 extra possesion sounds more thrilling, more of a chance for a comeback.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Might take away some of the suspense. Watching the TBT, I felt like the ending was too quick.

No need to speed up basketball anymore really. It already has that going for it.

Baseball however...
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

There was one game that sticks out to me for being a snoozy ending to an otherwise exciting game — NC St was playing St. Louis in the tournament in 2014 and STL had a wild comeback to force and win in OT, but in the last 4 minutes of the game, there were 4 timeouts (+ the U4), 11 St. Louis fouls, 20 NC St free throws, 5 NC St fouls, 8 STL free throws, and if you look for continuous action, there was none. It took like 25-30 minutes to play 4 minutes, and then the outcome was OT.

I’d rather watch NC St run up the court and throw up bad shots in an Elam Ending, then watch it become a grind at the foul line for 30 mins.

I was watching the Dayton/Illinois TBT game today (game was played last Friday or Saturday). Dayton was up 80-61 with the Elam Ending at 82. Next thing you know it’s 80-74 and then 81-76. Dayton was running up bricking shots and Illinois was playing some decent D while making shots. High action, exciting, not a grind at all.

It was enjoyable.