Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode Island didn’t protest much. The press might make it look so but feared protests at Warwick Mall and at Garden City never happened.
Even in Providence there weren’t massive numbers and still masks were worn by most except for some delinquents.

Rhode Island has done well because of its conscientious people and leadership at the top which started 2x per day Televised updates, then 1x per day 7 days per week, then 5 days per week and now down to 3 Governor/RIDOH updates on MWF. RI took this seriously from the start.
Even checking cars at the border and requiring 14 day quarantine based on border checking of cars, at the airport, train station and bus stations. Even is spite of Cuomo threatening to sue R.I. so the Governor brilliantly said ok, we will check ALL out of state cars not just NY - shut that blow hard, who ruined NY Nursing homes, right up.

RI also leads by far the per capita testing and now focusing on antibody testing

National Guard is conducting weekly testing at Nursing Homes

It’s no accident or fluke RI is one of only 2 states with declining cases.

Makes me proud.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago I still don't understand how the virus in Florida didn't have a major hit on the elderly. Its Senior citizen galore down there (my grandparents included and hopefully me one day). Makes no sense. Seems like most who are infected are young kids at the beaches and things.

But politics aside, lets not forget that hundreds of thousands of people protested in the streets shoulder to shoulder (1-3 weeks ago) and now theres an unexpected spike. Now that makes sense.
Massachusetts had some huge protests and is still seeing a decline in cases some 3-4 weeks later. They're actually one of four states on track to completely contain the virus (CT, NY, and NJ are the others).
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago I still don't understand how the virus in Florida didn't have a major hit on the elderly. Its Senior citizen galore down there (my grandparents included and hopefully me one day). Makes no sense. Seems like most who are infected are young kids at the beaches and things.
1) I suspect that wealth in Florida has something to do with it. Think about the New England snowbirds that retire to Florida - they're typically in decently plotted subdivisions. Especially if you're not working, or if you can work from home, you can minimize a lot of the risk. Excluding the daily walks of the dog, I leave my house about twice a week now, and that's only to pick up a pizza and to pick up groceries.
I think that hits on it -- The seniors getting hit hard were the very old, often in poor/poorer health, getting exposed day-after-day by staff or other sick seniors entering or moving around nursing homes or assisted living facilities.

The seniors who live on their own, took special precautions, barely left their house, they were less likely to be infected. That is a significant portion of the snowbird population.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Its the indoor spaces being open without mask restrictions thats hurting those southern states. From the data, by just being outside or everyone wearing a mask inside you kill most of the probability of transmission. Otherwise there would be spikes from the protests, which there wasnt. My fear is restraunts opening back up with patrons indoors not wearing masks drives another wave here, especailly as in Southern RI the tourists are out and they dont give a fuck about the health of the local servers/service people at all from all accounts I have heard.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago

But politics aside, lets not forget that hundreds of thousands of people protested in the streets shoulder to shoulder (1-3 weeks ago) and now theres an unexpected spike. Now that makes sense.
Massachusetts had some huge protests and is still seeing a decline in cases some 3-4 weeks later. They're actually one of four states on track to completely contain the virus (CT, NY, and NJ are the others).
I am sorry but there is no way we completely contain the virus
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Deaths are no longer going down. It's double today compared to yesterday. Cases----->Hospitilizations------>Deaths. About a 2 week lag. We'll start seeing it now.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodysurf wrote: 3 years ago Its the indoor spaces being open without mask restrictions thats hurting those southern states. From the data, by just being outside or everyone wearing a mask inside you kill most of the probability of transmission. Otherwise there would be spikes from the protests, which there wasnt. My fear is restraunts opening back up with patrons indoors not wearing masks drives another wave here, especailly as in Southern RI the tourists are out and they dont give a fuck about the health of the local servers/service people at all from all accounts I have heard.
They were also protesting in the south and according to CNN only Conn and RI haven't seen an uptick in cases.

Just about every young person I know in this country is hanging with their friends and family.

I follow our players, other athletes and people I know on social media and practically everybody is hanging out with people all the time.

With the reopening and the protests and people getting sick of it of course there is an uptick.

We are also testing way more than we had been early on. We know back in March or April, if there was more testing there would be more cases.

Then you gotta think that the places that were hit hardest early on have more immunity.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

The only way you “get” immunity is to have either gotten sick and recovered or to have been vaccinated. There is no vaccine. You don’t transfer your antibodies to someone else without a blood transfusion. So people aren’t “getting” immunity .
The reason things are better in the northeast is that people have been isolated with the states locked down, lots of people wear masks and social distancing is more observed than in other parts of the country. The virus is much harder to pass outdoors and even many of the protesters were wearing masks. If we go back to “Normal “ behavior ,especially indoors, it will come back like the way it has in California which had done a really good job initially. Don’t get complacent with us entering Phase 3, the virus is still among us, anyone who hasn’t been infected and recovered is not immune and this could turn. Bad in a heartbeat. There is a reason when something spreads fast it called going “VIRAL”!!
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Just a follow up to yesterdays mentions of Herd Immunity.

[quote]Fauci warned Sunday that the U.S. is not likely to achieve herd immunity to the corona-virus if a portion of the population refuses to get a vaccine once it's available. If enough people in a population are immune to a disease, generally through vaccination, this helps suppress outbreaks and provide protection to people who are not immune.

He said in an interview that was part of the Aspen Ideas Festival that he'd "settle" for a COVID-19 vaccine that is between 70% and 75% effective. However, with that level of effectiveness, if 25% of Americans do not get vaccinated, Fauci said it's "unlikely" the U.S. will reach herd immunity. According to Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, the percentage of a population that must be immune ranges between 70% to 90% to achieve herd immunity, depending on how contagious a disease is.
[/quote]

No vaccine No herd immunity. 70% or greater of population would have to get sick and recover to have herd immunity >>> if antibodies are
PERMANENTLY PRESENT after infection. If It is 2 months after exposure it is only achievable by repeated periodic vaccinations.

So no we are not getting immune to the virus any time soon. Lower numbers based on effective protective measures. PERIOD Also just an FYI
there are 188,000(17.7%) people 65 and over in RI and only ~9000 of those live in nursing homes,Housing for elderly, etc. that leaves 180,000 free to move about in the corona cloud.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

If you have had the virus, then you have some amt of antibodies in your system, which would offer you some protection from getting it again.

You know what the human resources for one of the best hospitals in this state was telling it's employees about a month ago?

That if you get the virus, and you haven't been coughing for three days, get your butt back into work.

Now ask yourself, I'm supposed to be worried about getting it from somebody at the Ryan Center, or at a local state beach? Really?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

No one knows how long immunity lasts if you get it. Recent studies show antibodies start to disappear in two or three months.
Slava Ukraini!
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago If you have had the virus, then you have some amt of antibodies in your system, which would offer you some protection from getting it again.

You know what the human resources for one of the best hospitals in this state was telling it's employees about a month ago?

That if you get the virus, and you haven't been coughing for three days, get your butt back into work.

Now ask yourself, I'm supposed to be worried about getting it from somebody at the Ryan Center, or at a local state beach? Really?

Are you sure about that about for said hospital? I was under the impression they had to test negative before coming back to work. I work very frequently with all the emergency departments in Providence and this is the first i have heard of this. Not to mention all staff in hospitals are wearing masks at work round the clock so yes you do have a higher chance of getting it at the ryan center where you will have people either refusing to wear a mask or not wearing it properly.

Note to all you look like a fool if you wear a mask and leave your nose exposed. Completely defeats the purpose.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I'm sure.

"If you haven't been coughing for three consecutive days, you are expected to return to work"

If you're not an employee, and in particular an employee who was specifically told this by their supervisor or HR when they were feeling ill, then you probably aren't likely to be bitching about it to the guy that frequents the ER. No offense, but not all employees are willing to spill their guts to make small talk or casual conversation. I mean, if I were told that, and I was fuming, I might tell a couple of coworkers who I am working with for at least 7 hours on the following shift (which is what happened), not vent to someone who doesn't even work there.
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Note to All: Unless properly cited, ignore all posts that amount to baseless "I've heard/I've seen" comments. Now - if the above post says: "John Smith, director of Human Resources at the Providence HCS Hospital, sent out a memo to employees saying get your butt back to work if you don't show symptoms." And it's been verified/reported on by a credible news source, I'm all in. Otherwise, it's just another bit of virtual water cooler BS.

Facts. Science. Citations...NOT opinions, emotions, and rumors.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago No one knows how long immunity lasts if you get it. Recent studies show antibodies start to disappear in two or three months.
I have read that also. However, after suffering the entire 18-19 day ordeal myself, and coming out in pretty good shape, I like my chances for round 2, if it comes to that.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

NHRamFan wrote: 3 years ago Note to All: Unless properly cited, ignore all posts that amount to baseless "I've heard/I've seen" comments. Now - if the above post says: "John Smith, director of Human Resources at the Providence HCS Hospital, sent out a memo to employees saying get your butt back to work if you don't show symptoms." And it's been verified/reported on by a credible news source, I'm all in. Otherwise, it's just another bit of virtual water cooler BS.

Facts. Science. Citations...NOT opinions, emotions, and rumors.
Uh huh. Okey dokey. Wingnut
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Hey, you know what? I'm living it, 24/7 since February. Last night, someone projectile vomited right in my face and all over my clothes. You can contract it through your eyes, it went in my eye. I couldn't do a lot about it until I got home this morning, just change my scrub top. You believe what you want to believe. I live with empirical evidence.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

God bless ya 3000.
GO RAMS
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Hey, thanks, man.

I was lucky, we are only a family of three, and we all had it and we all did ok. My son had it for 3 days, my wife 10 days, me 19 days. I'm the oldest and most vulnerable. But we were done with it by March 1. I take every precaution there is not to get it again or spread it. I am good to my patients, and my coworkers, I constantly "take one for the team".

If you are over the age of 60, I'm not saying you shouldn't be scared, because you should be. Everyone should be, but particularly if you are an advanced age. They say "if you are compromised" but the older you are, the more compromised you are going to be, naturally. That's just how we were designed as people. We lose the ability to fight things like this with age. Everyone has to be responsible, even younger people, so that they protect people who are more vulnerable, no one denies that.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago

Medical experts disagree. https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeikleb ... 0b170117ba
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I was just about to post this. While This idea may have merit, I can’t help but wonder what Pitino’s real motivation is. I trust him about as much as I trust he who must not be named.
Slava Ukraini!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Bad for everyone else -- tournament selection would likely be determined entirely off of eye test which means even higher levels of power conference bias.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

First of all , rhodyfan3000, God Bless you for your service to all of us. We would all be so screwed with out people like you.

• If you are over the age of 60, I'm not saying you shouldn't be scared, because you should be. Everyone should be, but particularly if you are an advanced age. They say "if you are compromised" but the older you are, the more compromised you are going to be, naturally. That's just how we were designed as people. We lose the ability to fight things like this with age. Everyone has to be responsible, even younger people, so that they protect people who are more vulnerable, no one denies that.

and DITTO!!!!! to that!!
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Hey, thanks. I appreciate it.

Remember what Mike Tyson used to say? Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth? That's kind of what this is like, you can strategize, and that's a good thing. Because this gives you that foggy headache on top of everything else and fatigue, and you may need to lean on other people to help you make decisions, based on the symptoms you are experiencing. That's what people don't plan for, when you are in the meat of this, it's hard to make the kind of decisions you would normally make if you didn't have it and were sharp. It's actually better if your significant other and you get it staggered and not at the same time, because you can help each other when you are having difficulty. That's what happened with me and my wife, she got it before I did, and when she didn't know what day it was or what planet she was on, I could "nurse" her, and vice versa a couple of weeks later when I was at that stage.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago If you have had the virus, then you have some amt of antibodies in your system, which would offer you some protection from getting it again.

You can't go get a haircut or go to a bar and have a brew with a buddy either...
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Well, my wife comes from England. They are all still in phase 1. They can't go down the street. They can't go to a restaurant. They can't fly. Her parents are retirement age and are cooped up. They did open the beaches there a few weeks ago, and it was worse then here in Narragansett, from the pictures, they were packed like sardines with no social distancing.

I just hope when all is said and done, we don't lose the courtesy aspect that social distancing brought, that was a refreshing change.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago Hey, thanks. I appreciate it.

Remember what Mike Tyson used to say? Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth? That's kind of what this is like, you can strategize, and that's a good thing. Because this gives you that foggy headache on top of everything else and fatigue, and you may need to lean on other people to help you make decisions, based on the symptoms you are experiencing. That's what people don't plan for, when you are in the meat of this, it's hard to make the kind of decisions you would normally make if you didn't have it and were sharp. It's actually better if your significant other and you get it staggered and not at the same time, because you can help each other when you are having difficulty. That's what happened with me and my wife, she got it before I did, and when she didn't know what day it was or what planet she was on, I could "nurse" her, and vice versa a couple of weeks later when I was at that stage.
I just quoted that Mike Tyson line to my son and friends today, in a totally different context. Thanks for doing what you do Rhodyfan 3000!!!
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago They did open the beaches there a few weeks ago, and it was worse then here in Narragansett, from the pictures, they were packed like sardines with no social distancing.
And they're not exactly swimming in bathwater in England either! We all become unruly teenagers when someone tells us we can't do certain things then all of a sudden have freedom, even if it is going to like a 70 degree beach with mid 50s water temperature. :lol:

Thanks for your work during this.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Was listening to WEEI, wiggy brought up a good point. If we can pack the streets with thousands of protesters week after week, with And without masks with no spike in cases. Then why not allow fans to outdoor sport events? (With masks)
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago

Medical experts disagree. https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeikleb ... 0b170117ba
The same Andrew Cuomo who said he would sue Rhode Island when Raimondo said R.I. would check cars from NY and have them quarantine for 14 days because so many in NY had the virus. Now here he is doing the same thing for people from certain states entering NY - can’t make this stuff up.
Raimondo countered the blowhard by saying fine, we will check and quarantine 100% of people coming to R.I. for 14 days, not just NY, shut him right up. CNN and his brother very quickly stopped broadcasting that story after Raimondo shut his pie-hole.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Cuomo has always been about what is great for him and his people.

When it leaked that Trump was considering a "lockdown" of that area when COVID was nearing it's worst, Cuomo lost his mind. That was when Trump said "It was just a thought, not sure why it got leaked."

The goal was simply to isolate the tremendous number of cases in New York from surrounding areas. Didn't work for Cuomo, it was "unconstitutional" and he "wouldn't stand for it."

It was the same approach he took with Gina when she was stopping New York plates. In fact, it probably worked out better for RI to check all rather than just New Yorkers, but to me he just has this tough guy attitude of "You ain't gonna mess with me."

Funny coming from a guy whose mayor of it's biggest city is rapidly dismantling it's police department.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Raimondo countered the blowhard by saying fine, we will check and quarantine 100% of people coming to R.I. for 14 days, not just NY, shut him right up. CNN and his brother very quickly stopped broadcasting that story after Raimondo shut his pie-hole.
I was proud of her for this. I was telling everyone up to a month ago, that I was ashamed that I didn't vote for her last time around, she is doing a great job. Not that she needs my vote, mind you, but she deserves it. It's more a vote of confidence, than it's going to make or break her winning at this point.

I'm still going to vote for her this time, even though I was annoyed at her and the state troopers for going outside without a mask on to go meet BLM. Otherwise, she has been really good overall.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

She's done serving as Governor, she's reached her term limits, you can vote for her in her next political endeavor
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Oh, I forgot about that. Anyway, yeah, we'll see. Depends on what she is running for? I'll remember the good job she did during this pandemic though.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Was listening to WEEI, wiggy brought up a good point. If we can pack the streets with thousands of protesters week after week, with And without masks with no spike in cases. Then why not allow fans to outdoor sport events? (With masks)

While many people were not wearing masks, I was kind of shocked at the amount of people who were wearing masks
at the protest. But the spikes have not followed the protests the way it does people going to bars, etc.
It does appear that the virus is harder to spread out of doors. Its indoors where everything is contained that
you see the super spreader stuff. Like one sick person infecting 90% of a church Choir after one practice.
Football and baseball may be possible with the exception of the rest rooms and concession stands.
Hockey and basketball not so much.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Update on NK Walmart.

I trounced these guys the other week for an incident that happened, now I have to praise them today.

Today, in line, when they first opened, there was one woman, about 45, not wearing a mask, who tried to walk right in past the door attendant.

He goes "Ma'am, you can't come in here without a mask"

Lady: "Oh, they have let me in before" She tries to keep walking past him.

He says "You can't come in the store without a mask"

Lady: "I come in all the time without one." Pauses, but still takes another step towards the inside door.

Him: "You cannot go into the store without a mask on, State Law"

Lady: "I can't wear a mask!"

Guy: "NOT MY PROBLEM!" "Now, please put a mask on or leave"

Lady: "I don't have a mask with me!"

Attendant: "If you walk into that store without a mask, you WILL be physically removed from the building"

Finally, she starts having a tantrum that I didn't bother to stay and watch and left.

Great job, Wallyworld! Don't give an inch!
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Was heartened on the one hand today by all the mask wearers around Iggy's at Oakland Beach when ordering...however a good percentage were wearing it below the nose which makes no sense. I don't know why people would think you SHOULDN'T cover your nose when the mask is that tall top to bottom.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago Was heartened on the one hand today by all the mask wearers around Iggy's at Oakland Beach when ordering...however a good percentage were wearing it below the nose which makes no sense. I don't know why people would think you SHOULDN'T cover your nose when the mask is that tall top to bottom.
Wolfrock Package store had exposed nose dude at the register today. I have seen them make people leave for not wearing one, but wth...if that guy can wear it like that...I should have the option to just hang it off one ear, wear it around my neck (those folks crack me up) or not wear at all.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Haven’t seen the nosey dude but wolf rocks works for me can grab my brewski and be gone in a flash. I sometimes lurk a bit outside for a clear pkg lot then...

Whoosh! Gone!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Worst states for Covid now are hot weather places in July

What happened to all the talk a couple of months ago about sunlight and hot weather minimizing Covid?

68F556BB-6028-4ED3-8B6A-E445FF8C216E.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Worst states for Covid now are hot weather places in July

What happened to all the talk a couple of months ago about sunlight and hot weather minimizing Covid?

If Idaho is a state that is a hot weather place in July...are there any states that are not a 'hot place in july'?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Worst states for Covid now are hot weather places in July

If Idaho is a state that is a hot weather place in July...are there any states that are not a 'hot place in july'?
I figured somebody would question Idaho :D
Point remains, worst case counts are in hot weather states in the peak times of summer. Some were predicting the opposite to occur

Will be interesting to monitor the death rate now that states working with nursing homes have improved performance. If we can continue to minimize nursing home deaths the actual death rate should decrease significantly.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

I figured somebody would question Idaho :D
Point remains, worst case counts are in hot weather states in the peak times of summer. Some were predicting the opposite to occur

Will be interesting to monitor the death rate now that states working with nursing homes have improved performance. If we can continue to minimize nursing home deaths the actual death rate should decrease significantly.
This is OJT for all....
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

There must be a high correlation between those who do not wear masks in public and those that care first and foremost about themselves. (I admit that I am in the highest category of having a fatal outcome if I get the virus.)
NCAAs or Bust!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Given the cavalier attitude towards the virus by (fill in your favorite group - national leaders/local leaders/young people/FB 'experts'/HS Bro's/anti-maskers/pundits) this is how it's going to be. The virus doesn't adhere to edicts, wishes, threats, etc. Until there's a medical solution and/or a unified NATIONAL effort, we can kiss athletics on all levels adieu. You want a return to normal?? Then we ALL need to play a part.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

This is an honest question and not meant to start anything. Now that we have a lot athletes in college and professional ranks testing positive are there any known to be in serious condition?

The more athletes who get it and pass it, the more likely that sports will return without fans.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago This is an honest question and not meant to start anything. Now that we have a lot athletes in college and professional ranks testing positive are there any known to be in serious condition?

The more athletes who get it and pass it, the more likely that sports will return without fans.
Freddie Freeman of the Atlanta Braves tested positive recently, after testing negative four days previously. He told a reporter that “it hit him like a ton of bricks”. His wife said he was in a bad way for a few days. Teammate Nick Markakis spoke with him about it and this is why he decided to opt out of the season today.
I think we’ll see more and more of this in MLB, the NBA and the NHL as we get closer to these seasons starting. It’s easy for us fans to say, stick it out, you’re young and healthy, but they are taking the risk. There’s no mask wearing and social distancing element that can be incorporated in these games.