Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Talk about censorship and having an agenda when it comes to deleting posts and keeping others which are incredible asinine and ignorant.
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Talk about censorship and having an agenda when it comes to deleting posts and keeping others which are incredible asinine and ignorant.

Just because they may be extremely ignorant doesnt necessarily mean they stoop to a level that they need to be deleted.

Ignorance is a huge problem in todays society. Sorry your opinion doesnt trump scientific facts and it never will. Valid opinions are which restaurant is better who was a better athlete what is your favorite season? All valid opinion arguments. But your opinion going against 90% PLUS of people actually educated in said field is complete BS and shows your complete lack in the ability to educate yourself and conform to actual facts. And frankly makes you look like an idiot.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea opinions are opinions unless the first amendment doesn’t apply to a college sports forum. I agree, don’t delete something you disagree with unless it’s a threat or something.
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Major breakthroughs yesterday:

- Made it to the beach. Didn't go near the restroom/concession area, saw virtually no masks. Folks were pretty spread out, not crowded at all. Good time.

- The return of the Friday night "have a beer and order takeout." Had a brewhoffer at Twisted at their outdoor bar. It's "twisted" how they get to do that. I guess they can't serve drinks at a bar from a 'working bar', so....the outdoor 'bar' is just a bartop and chairs...and they run back and forth inside to make/pour and bring out drinks to the now "non-working" bar. So, it's like you're at the bar, but you can't see the booze. And it's slower, but whatever, if you're in a rush, stay home. Other than that...no masks and no enforcement of social distancing at the bar. Seemed most just went for an empty chair between groups. The staff was seating people outside, maybe they were stricter than that...not sure. Also good time.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

FDshoes wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Talk about censorship and having an agenda when it comes to deleting posts and keeping others which are incredible asinine and ignorant.

Just because they may be extremely ignorant doesnt necessarily mean they stoop to a level that they need to be deleted.

Ignorance is a huge problem in todays society. Sorry your opinion doesnt trump scientific facts and it never will. Valid opinions are which restaurant is better who was a better athlete what is your favorite season? All valid opinion arguments. But your opinion going against 90% PLUS of people actually educated in said field is complete BS and shows your complete lack in the ability to educate yourself and conform to actual facts. And frankly makes you look like an idiot.

Uh, I think you have my opinion mixed up with someone else’s.
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

D2 HBCU Morehouse in Atlanta, GA:

FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 3 years ago

Uh, I think you have my opinion mixed up with someone else’s.
Nope, sorry if i you felt that way. I was just saying no need to delete non offensive comments. No matter the case or view point. The 2nd paragraph was just expanding on your ignorant comment. Was not directing anything at you 👍
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Yea opinions are opinions unless the first amendment doesn’t apply to a college sports forum. I agree, don’t delete something you disagree with unless it’s a threat or something.
First Amendment doesn’t apply here. This is a private business and, as such, the proprietor — not the government — sets the rules.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Yea opinions are opinions unless the first amendment doesn’t apply to a college sports forum. I agree, don’t delete something you disagree with unless it’s a threat or something.
First Amendment doesn’t apply here. This is a private business and, as such, the proprietor — not the government — sets the rules.
I seriously don’t understand the mental leap people make from “congress should pass no laws prohibiting” to “I can say whatever I please on any platform without consequence.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So now the CDC says 10x more people have been infected so 24 million instead of 2.4 million

This means the Death Rate is 10 times lower than has been continually reported

Keep people over 50 away from those under 50

Let everyone under 50 intermingle just as they are now anyway. Everyone go back to college and protect the professors.

Herd immunity will take over and defeat the Covid-19

Let people under 50 go to all the baseball, football and basketball games they want. Everyone over 50 watches on TV or attends at their own risk

Everyone under 50 gets it = herd immunity. Over 50 work from home, stay secluded as they are now anyway as much as possible.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... es-larger/
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The young people are getting Covid-19 in droves in some states.

Let the College Life begin

ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago So now the CDC says 10x more people have been infected so 24 million instead of 2.4 million

Let everyone under 50 intermingle just as they are now anyway. Everyone go back to college and protect the professors.

Let people under 50 go to all the baseball, football and basketball games they want. Everyone over 50 watches on TV or attends at their own risk

Everyone under 50 gets it = herd immunity. Over 50 work from home, stay secluded as they are now anyway as much as possible.

I hope you are kidding.. if not you're a 🤡
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ram1980 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago So now the CDC says 10x more people have been infected so 24 million instead of 2.4 million

I hope you are kidding.. if not you're a 🤡
no I am not kidding.

I already stay away from everyone so it's no problem for me.

CDC now says 24 million have exposure to Covid on this - that's a humongous leap from 2.4 million. The antibody tests are showing this 10x factor - way above what was expected.

Ultimately everyone is going to get exposed such that the herd immunity takes over and the Covid dies out. The R Factor will go below 1.0

It's playing out now in Florida, Arizona, Texas, North Carolina, Florida, California........they are getting Covid in droves. The young people are partying together. Nobody can effectively stop them.

When the $600/week Unemployment Covid bonus stops at the end of July millions of people will have to go back to work - they don't now as the $600 is such a nice "gift" on top of the roughly $385/week normal Unemployment. That's about $4000 per month in Unemployment for sitting home mingling with friends and sharing the Covid. Might as well go back to work.

You can't keep the economy closed down much longer as small businesses are going bankrupt big time.

The key is to keep the older citizens away from the younger citizens - which is what we are all doing now anyway.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I'm almost 62 yrs old. I deal with the public every day. We are considered an essential business so I have been on the front line through this horror show. I wear gloves all the time and a mask. I wear glasses so they are constantly fogging up. It makes for an annoying 8 hour day. I have been to the beach multiple times. I wear my mask to the bathroom.. or any common area wherever I go because that is what I am asked to do. My wife and I are season ticket holders and if we can go to games with a mask that's what we want to do. There are a lot of people over 50 that want to enjoy the social life.. just wear the damned mask like we are asked to and hope science figures this out sooner rather than later. Oh yeah my mom just passed away in Colorado and I have to fly.. not thrilled about wearing a mask and flying now but again it's the right thing to do .. I just wish people would be less selfish and do what is right. I totally agree the economy needs to be firing on all cylinders soon.. my son has lost his job. My daughter teaches pre k. My wife works in a school. It's awful for all of us.. let's get back at it as safely as we can and with some compassion for everyone around us.. this is the first and last time I have and will comment on this subject. We are all hurting. Let's alleviate the pain and do what is right😷😷
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ABC News today reports 10 million confirmed Covid-19 Cases - in the whole world

US CDC now says there are 10X the 2.4 million confirmed US Cases so there are 24 million - entire US has 327 million people so that's 7.3% of the population already and hitting daily record highs of infection

Masks should be worn as instructed

Looks like with states opening up they have thrown in the towel.

Many of the filled up hospitals in NY, NJ, RI, MA, etc were with people over 65 and/or with other existing health issues. As young people spread the Covid-19 they will not fill up the Hospitals and require respirators.

Wear Masks, Social Distance.....but with 24 million cases in the US alone there is little to do to stop this without a vaccine. Old people MUST keep away from others. Walk in the woods, go to secluded beaches, walk anywhere with few people, stay inside.......just stay away from others until this thing fizzles out - most likely from herd immunity

FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Herd immunity is most likely not an option in fighting this. Currently thru many studies the antibodies are only effective for ~2 months. Was hoping that wasnt the case but its looking like "herd immunity" is not an option.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I feel like herd immunity is already happening. Northern states were crushed before and southern states breezed by. Now we are declining and they increasing. Same lifestyles with warm weather everywhere. I was at the beach yesterday In gansett. Thousands of people, only 4 people had a mask, 4!. Steady decline in cases and hospitalization here. (and no spike from protest)
GO RAMS
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Only two states are reporting a decline, RI & CT.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

We will see a new surge. The data on herd immunity being a successful strategy is looking increasingly grim.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago I feel like herd immunity is already happening. Northern states were crushed before and southern states breezed by. Now we are declining and they increasing. Same lifestyles with warm weather everywhere. I was at the beach yesterday In gansett. Thousands of people, only 4 people had a mask, 4!. Steady decline in cases and hospitalization here. (and no spike from protest)
Being outdoors does help the curb of the spread. That has been studied and they believe this to be true. One bar in Michigan has been traced to 85 cases in less then a week.

You cant just "feel" like something is happening. While that could be true short term it shows no signs of holding true long term. IE the 2 month effectiveness of antibodies.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

We are not remotely close to “herd” immunity!!
The declines we are seeing are the results of social distancing, wearing masks, the shut down, and the slow methodical reopening.
Stop following this and the number of cases will increase! Don’t get complacent!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Isn't herd immunity somewhere around 80% of the world's population? That would take years to get to that number. And obviously, if immunity only lasts a couple of months, it will never happen.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Isn't herd immunity somewhere around 80% of the world's population? That would take years to get to that number. And obviously, if immunity only lasts a couple of months, it will never happen.
The concept of "herd immunity" generally takes generations to accomplish.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

he concept of "herd immunity" generally takes generations to accomplish.
And usually happens in conjunction with vaccinations. There is significant disparity in necessary levels and as you just stated if the immunity from infection is only 2 month herd immunity won’t ever be achieved without a constant vaccination program
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 3 years ago
he concept of "herd immunity" generally takes generations to accomplish.
And usually happens in conjunction with vaccinations. There is significant disparity in necessary levels and as you just stated if the immunity from infection is only 2 month herd immunity won’t ever be achieved without a constant vaccination program
If having defeated the actual virus will not give one immunity a vaccine is certainly not going to help. I suggest we all do what we can to strengthen our immune systems by getting enough sleep and taking some vitamins. I have nothing against wearing masks but think its of secondary importance.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Well whatever is it. Walk around town people, the masks and social distancing are not consistent, yet decline is happening. I’m not “feeling”, I’m living and observing it. Plus that article later observed additional states that have no decline OR increase in cases.
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 3 years ago We are not remotely close to “herd” immunity!!
The declines we are seeing are the results of social distancing, wearing masks, the shut down, and the slow methodical reopening.
Stop following this and the number of cases will increase! Don’t get complacent!
until what/when?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
CHICO 78 wrote: 3 years ago We are not remotely close to “herd” immunity!!
until what/when?
Here’s your slow methodical reopening

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The biggest problem facing this country with the virus, is the fact that we have 50 states that each have their own agendas when it comes to what's allowed to open and what's not. Same for mask policy.

Almost every other country has leadership at the top that is dictating policy for their entire country.

The US has no leadership or direction at the top....everything the federal government does is politically driven.

This has and will continue to cost lives by the thousands.

Leaving the states to make their own policies has been a total disaster.

At least we are living in a state [both CT and RI] that has managed their response really well compared to most.

I feel safer going out around here, much more than just about anywhere else, for sure.

Let's hope that continues...but of course there are some that aren't wearing masks and distancing as they should....there is always a percentage of stupid people anywhere you go.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Why Covid appears to be petering out at lower than expected herd immunity percentages

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus- ... 14328.html
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Why Covid appears to be petering out at lower than expected herd immunity percentages
Look at Arizona, Fla, Texas, California, etc. 36 states are showing a significant upswing in the spread of Covid.
Florida has doubled their previous highs. Hospitals in the hot spots are close to or at maximum ICU
capacity.

Does it look like it's burning itself out? Really. Use the eyeball test. Amercan airlines is based
out of texas. Maybe they need to look out their window instead of at their balance sheet!!

Alex Azar finally , finally publicy said yesterday morning on Meet the Press. that people need to act
responsibly wear face covering , social distance, stay home, etc., etc. That we have a 2 week
window to reign in this surge or we in danger of this overwhelming / breaking our
health care system.

And still businesses like American Airlines show that big business has no conscience what so ever.

Say what you want about Gina or Coumo, Baker, up here in the north east but RI is one of the
only 2 states that show their infection rate is on the decline. This doesn't appear like
its going to go away or Burn Out, Not any time soon.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Look at Arizona, Fla, Texas, California, etc. 36 states are showing a significant upswing in the spread of Covid.
Florida has doubled their previous highs. Hospitals in the hot spots are close to or at maximum ICU
capacity.

Does it look like it's burning itself out? Really. Use the eyeball test. Amercan airlines is based
out of texas. Maybe they need to look out their window instead of at their balance sheet!!

Alex Azar finally , finally publicy said yesterday morning on Meet the Press. that people need to act
responsibly wear face covering , social distance, stay home, etc., etc. That we have a 2 week
window to reign in this surge or we in danger of this overwhelming / breaking our
health care system.

And still businesses like American Airlines show that big business has no conscience what so ever.

Say what you want about Gina or Coumo, Baker, up here in the north east but RI is one of the
only 2 states that show their infection rate is on the decline. This doesn't appear like
Did you read the article? It wasn’t referring only to the US

Connecticut is the other state seeing a decline

Rhode Island leads the US in per capita testing and has for some time now. Rhode Island has done an excellent job of managing Covid-19 and continues to focus on controls.

044859E6-951F-4793-9204-D8ADDE45D5FF.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
capacity.

health care system.

Did you read the article? It wasn’t referring only to the US

Connecticut is the other state seeing a decline

Rhode Island leads the US in per capita testing and has for some time now. Rhode Island has done an excellent job of managing Covid-19 and continues to focus on controls.

044859E6-951F-4793-9204-D8ADDE45D5FF.png
The article was basically someone writing down his thought process. Had some fancy terminology but no studies to back it up. I hope the author is right but so many studies out there saying this isnt going to happen.

Again if antibodies only stay in your system for 2 months then the concept of herd immunity is thrown out the window. The fact he is talking about immune systems is funny because it is common knowledge that some people have better immune systems then others but that wont correlate with defeating this virus.

Again i hope the author is correct. But we do need better leadership from the upper echelon of govt.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

We’re doing great right now and that’s awesome along with Connecticut NY and mass. But we paid for it a few months ago. Ny lost more lives then anywhere.
GO RAMS
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago We’re doing great right now and that’s awesome along with Connecticut NY and mass. But we paid for it a few months ago. Ny lost more lives then anywhere.
Yes we are doing well now, but it is mostly because we have been locked down for months. Even if RI has been a little more "open" than Mass and CT, most people have not just gone out and started living their lives even close to normal yet. I still think this is a mistake and the draconian lock-down mentality only prolongs the inevitable surges.

Read this National Geographic article and it is stated far better than I ever could, we are never going to eliminate this risk we just need to manage the risk better not just keep things closed. I was all for the initial shut-downs but they went on too long and now we have the expected backlash. It should have been a 3 week pause with return to mostly normal life with masks and preventative measures for vulnerable populations. Failure to do that has caused a situation where some people are no longer willing to take simple precautions. I fully expect that the Northeast will look like Texas and Florida once the next phases finally start to open things up more in terms of the number of infections - just in time for school to start back up and enter the normal cold/flu season, the governors to panic and we are shut down again for 6 months. The infection rate in the Northeast has been kept artificially low by keeping people from living their lives which cannot be expected for the next year, it is not just "mask-wearing" it is the fear that most people have had to leave their houses generally.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scie ... e-war-cvd/
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

every other state has been locked down too

Rhode Island leads the entire US in Testing per Capita. RI considered testing important from early on and has consistently administered testing.

Rhode Island people are a conscientious group. I see people all over wearing masks even when they do not have to wear one

Despite a high density of people per square mile, Rhode Island continues to adhere to the requirements, even with steadily dropping numbers of hospitalizations, deaths and new cases

Raimondo early on started checking vehicles entering the state and requiring 14 day quarantines. Cuomo threatened to sue RI and Raimondo for singling out NYers. Raimondo then changed it to say RI would stop all out of state cars entering the state - not just NY cars.

Rhode Islanders took this virus seriously early on and Rhode Islanders have stuck to the rules. It shows in the numbers.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago We’re doing great right now and that’s awesome along with Connecticut NY and mass. But we paid for it a few months ago. Ny lost more lives then anywhere.
NY lives lost were a high percentage of Nursing Home residents. That percentage was much higher than it should have been but Cuomo allowed thousands of hospitalized residents to go to Nursing Homes when discharged from the Hospital, even if they had Covid-19. Needless to say the Covid spread like wildfire in the Nursing homes killing thousands. Cuomo finally reversed his decision on May 12th but the damage was already way out of control.

RI has done great for a long period of time, not just lately.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This is how you base a decision to move on to Phase 3 as was done today in RI -

thumbnail_Slide4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago The biggest problem facing this country with the virus, is the fact that we have 50 states that each have their own agendas when it comes to what's allowed to open and what's not. Same for mask policy.

Almost every other country has leadership at the top that is dictating policy for their entire country.

The US has no leadership or direction at the top....everything the federal government does is politically driven.

This has and will continue to cost lives by the thousands.

Leaving the states to make their own policies has been a total disaster.

At least we are living in a state [both CT and RI] that has managed their response really well compared to most.

I feel safer going out around here, much more than just about anywhere else, for sure.

Let's hope that continues...but of course there are some that aren't wearing masks and distancing as they should....there is always a percentage of stupid people anywhere you go.
If you really wanted to you can get some n95 masks that the hospital workers wear and not worry as much about other's compliance with wearing masks. Just an idea not trying to be argumentative.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think it is tough to say the states that are having a surge now did something wrong - most of those states did not have a first wave, are much bigger than New England states everyone is praising, and have a much lower death rate because they are managing risk better instead of just shutting it all down.

Once small example from my world, Houston is closing courts now that there is a surge (which by the way makes sense because they are generally very disease ridden places). Meanwhile, I have not been allowed inside a court house in New England since March 16th. The rest of the country has been living something much closer to normal life for awhile now, so they are going to take a pause for a couple weeks, let the surge die down and go back to closer to normal life. I bet at the end they will still have a lower mortality rate than New England states.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The biggest reason for the surge right now, besides some states opening too early, is that millions of people in their 20's are ignoring guidelines and not wearing masks or distancing.

They figure they aren't going to die or get really sick, so why should they care?

Good luck trying to rein them in.

Now states are starting to roll back or at least delay certain re-openings.

CT was going to allow bars to reopen around mid July. Not now.

RI hasn't announced any opening dates for bars.

Even restaurants in some areas are being forced to close again, or not open soon.

If we don't get either a vaccine or therapeutics soon, this could get even worse than it was a couple of months ago.

The only thing in the meantime that will stop the spread, is another lockdown...and that's not going to happen for the most part.

Not looking good.
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Correct me if I’m wrong but the survival rate is something like 99.6%. Killing sports to protect a few people is going to drive a greater divide politically. No fans in the stands sure, I can deal with that. If we shut down entire seasons of any sports small business will continue to fall, who wants to go to a bar if nothing’s on and with out anything to distract us we’ll keeping fighting each other
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago I think it is tough to say the states that are having a surge now did something wrong - most of those states did not have a first wave, are much bigger than New England states everyone is praising, and have a much lower death rate because they are managing risk better instead of just shutting it all down.
I think the problem in some of these states, namely Florida, was their overall dismissal of what "hot-spots" like New York were going through. Rather than trying to learn from all of the different issues of what happened there, Ron DeSantis was generally on the side of "We did it right because we didn't have a major spike," and progressed in a very aggressive manner. Florida hosted 3 UFC events at a time where no other state was able to hold them. The only other territory willing to host such an event was an Indian Reservation in California, and Disney told Dana White no F'ing way he was doing that in mid-April. It's only continued with his unwillingness to mandate masks as his state is getting crushed. The difference between the northeast reopening and the south reopening is the measured and calculated approach in the northeast by being slow and steady, mask-wearing, etc. The northeast has been in a decline for the better part of two months and still has certain business types closed or under heavy restrictions. Pretty much everything in Florida was open by mid-May, at a time when Florida was at best in a plateau.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UMass-Amherst will be mostly all virtual classes this coming fall. Only things such as labs and studios which are hands on will be in person. Students will be given the option to live on campus if they choose provided they agree to abide by stringent rules. Classes will start earlier in August and end before Thanksgiving. Remote finals will take place after the holiday.

UMass Amherst Reopens for the Fall
https://www.umass.edu/coronavirus/
Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

D3 Williams in MA will return to campus but have no fall sports.

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Was already addressed before my response
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

The biggest problem Florida faces is the continuous stream of travelers coming in from other hot spots and the fact that they have a ginormous hispanic population, many of which also pour in from other surrounding areas. I've handled over 150 COVID-19 patients by now at the hospital I work at. I average about a half dozen a night. I am subjected to it constantly, over and over.

If you made a pie chart for all of the different kinds of people who have come in on "modified contact and droplet precautions" meaning gloves, gown, n95 respirator and face shield, with the air scrubber (a machine the size of your household dishwasher) on in the room, removing contaminants from the air with the force of a jet turbine and spitting the exhaust out the back... that hispanic piece of the pie would dwarf any other piece on there, whether you made the graph about positive Covid-19 patients, or merely suspected positive Covid-19 patients. They as a community have been hit harder than any other, from what I have seen. And when they get it, they don't tend to be symptom free, they get it in a bad way. I'm not saying they don't survive it, but it does a number on them.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I still don't understand how the virus in Florida didn't have a major hit on the elderly. Its Senior citizen galore down there (my grandparents included and hopefully me one day). Makes no sense. Seems like most who are infected are young kids at the beaches and things.

But politics aside, lets not forget that hundreds of thousands of people protested in the streets shoulder to shoulder (1-3 weeks ago) and now theres an unexpected spike. Now that makes sense.
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago I still don't understand how the virus in Florida didn't have a major hit on the elderly. Its Senior citizen galore down there (my grandparents included and hopefully me one day). Makes no sense. Seems like most who are infected are young kids at the beaches and things.

But politics aside, lets not forget that hundreds of thousands of people protested in the streets shoulder to shoulder (1-3 weeks ago) and now theres an unexpected spike. Now that makes sense.
1) I suspect that wealth in Florida has something to do with it. Think about the New England snowbirds that retire to Florida - they're typically in decently plotted subdivisions. Especially if you're not working, or if you can work from home, you can minimize a lot of the risk. Excluding the daily walks of the dog, I leave my house about twice a week now, and that's only to pick up a pizza and to pick up groceries.

2) Pretty much all of the current spike can be traced to states that "opened up" in haphazard ways, and less so places that protested a bunch. Rhode Island had plenty of protests, and its rate is decreasing, for example. Texas, where I'm at, did have protests... but our governor was also slow to impose a mask order for businesses, and basically ignored that cases were going up, at one point telling Houston hospitals to stop reporting stats that would reveal they were almost at full ICU capacity.