Power Ranking 2021-22 Roster

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ericf0120
Frenchy Tomlin

Power Ranking 2021-22 Roster

Unread post by ericf0120 »

Slow week news wise so thought I’d throw this one out there - obviously our roster will be extra thin this season with the transfers not likely being cleared by the NCAA. So how would you guys rank the players we’ll have for the 2021-22 season (assuming we don’t lose anyone to the transfer portal, which isn’t a given at all sadly). As far as I know, these will be the players that will be on the roster and eligible, plus any recruits we add later on:

Jermaine Harris
Antwan Walker
Jeremy Sheppard
Makhi Mitchell
Makhel Mitchell
Allen Bertrand
Jalen Carey
Malik Martin
Ishmael Leggett
Tres Berry

Obviously it’s anyone’s guess who will develop come the 2021-22 season but it is interesting to think about. We should run 8-9 deep full of experienced and talented players. Let me hear what you guys think (my sleeper pick for #1 is Leggett)
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Re: Power Ranking 2021-22 Roster

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

Sheppard isn’t with us next year but DJ will be
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Minus something really unusual happening, this will be Sheppard's last year. That is my understanding.

It stinks, but do to various circumstances, he only ended up getting two years at Div 1: his freshman year at ECU and now his final year at URI. He would have had a 3rd year last year, but he was academically ineligible.

So one way or the other, this will be Fatts and Sheppard's final season, minus a pandemic surge coupled with some very unusual rulings by the NCAA, like a solar and lunar eclipse coming together at the same moment.

DJ Johnson will still have another year of eligibility.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Sheppard good for this year? Everything cleared up academically?
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Um, without knowing who will transfer between now and October 2021 isn’t looking at our roster or our NCAA chances awfully premature?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Are you listing them in order of who you think will be the best player on the team down to the worst?

Also who knows if all those kids will even be on the team.

Why is there even a thread on this? I swear this board posts more threads about things 1+ year in the future than any other board I’ve ever seen.
Go Rhody
ericf0120
Frenchy Tomlin

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Are you listing them in order of who you think will be the best player on the team down to the worst?

Why is there even a thread on this? I swear this board posts more threads about things 1+ year in the future than any other board I’ve ever seen.
Yes i know it’s premature looking ahead, anything can happen. But with so many transfers coming in I was just curious how people compared everyone to each other. Forgive me for thinking a little too far out of the box here I just need sports back
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

One of the things that will give URI an advantage moving forward is that with 5 transfer student athletes, they cannot transfer again, so we will have a 5 player nucleus or core to work around. I suspect that there will be more transfers in the future, for this very reason. Probably not 5 in one year, but avg two per year x 4 years will give this team a revolving nucleus of around 8 players at all times that will be here, with a few scholarships left over for freshman, JUCO and grad transfers.

Brave new world. This was actually a great move by Cox, shows a lot of foresight, anticipation, and patience, while balancing enough players to field a team on what will be an interesting and possibly truncated season this year.

This could quickly become a team that freshman are reluctant to leave after their first or second years.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ericf0120 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Are you listing them in order of who you think will be the best player on the team down to the worst?

Yes i know it’s premature looking ahead, anything can happen. But with so many transfers coming in I was just curious how people compared everyone to each other. Forgive me for thinking a little too far out of the box here I just need sports back

I’ll go easy with the next statement because everyone already knows I feel.

If Jermaine Harris is our best player in two years, we are in trouble.
Go Rhody
ericf0120
Frenchy Tomlin

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
ericf0120 wrote: 4 years ago

I’ll go easy with the next statement because everyone already knows I feel.

If Jermaine Harris is our best player in two years, we are in trouble.
Oh no no i didn’t list them based on any rankings, just random essentially. Wouldn’t rule out a jump from Harris but agreed if he’s our go-to guy...would be interesting to say the least
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhodyfan3000, all of our transfers can transfer again down the road without having to sit out if they earn their degree and considered a post grad.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago One of the things that will give URI an advantage moving forward is that with 5 transfer student athletes, they cannot transfer again, so we will have a 5 player nucleus or core to work around. I suspect that there will be more transfers in the future, for this very reason. Probably not 5 in one year, but avg two per year x 4 years will give this team a revolving nucleus of around 8 players at all times that will be here, with a few scholarships left over for freshman, JUCO and grad transfers.

Brave new world. This was actually a great move by Cox, shows a lot of foresight, anticipation, and patience, while balancing enough players to field a team on what will be an interesting and possibly truncated season this year.

This could quickly become a team that freshman are reluctant to leave after their first or second years.
Assuming they are finding playing time I agree - still shocks me on Tyrese leaving, but I think I will like Martin’s game more anyways
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

When did the twins become eligible for 2020-2021?
NCAAs or Bust!