Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Re: Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

Very well said Blueman.

What can we as fans do about that though?? At the end of the day we can donate and show up to support Rhody, but if the administration isnt on the same page then we are kind of screwed.

I'm all for holding them accountable and questioning the lack of going "all in" on the program. But they already have a long history of half assing things and then watching positive progress (2016-2018) vanish away.

So do we stop buying tickets and going to games?? I'd be lost without my Rhody hoops in the winter.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago WIth all the butthurtness going on in this thread - I will once again pose this question, which is the most important of all.

What are we not doing to keep players around?

I don't care about where players go, what relationships they have...whatever. We need to answer 2 questions for our program moving forward:

What are we not doing as well as other programs?
What can we do to make URI a destination?

Otherwise this bitching is just awful to read. It makes this fanbase look naive and childish.

Why doesn't a starting player feel like he can make the NBA after playing at URI?

Is it the conference?
Is it the TV time?
Is it the NCAA prospects?
Is it the facilities?
Is it the schedules?
Is it the travel perks?
Is it the staff?
Is it the attendance?
Is it the crowd?
Is it the school itself?

Whatever it is - THESE should be the questions we ask ourselves on this board.

Martin is gone. He's a UConn. Why the hell we're sifting through he said/she said and crying tampering without any context...INSTEAD of asking those above questions about ourselves is the problem.

I've NEVER seen an underclassmen starter leave URI to transfer somewhere else. Someone more seasoned than I could probably lend their memory to this, but since I can recall (figure late Penders/early Skinner) I don't EVER remember losing a key piece with a defined role here.

Sure the sport landscape has changed with transfers...Hurley never lost a starter. Baron never lost a starter. Jerry D. Harrick. Skinner. I don't ever remember that happening.

WHY now. We SHOULD be in a high enough level conference, competing for an NCAA spot, with enough nationally relevant games to help our players get to the next level if they're capable.

That's what I want to know. What are we lacking in and why aren't we upping our investment to correct those issues. THAT should be the echo-chamber on this board right now. Demanding accountability for our own failings as a program, and wondering how things have improved or not based on our first NCAA credits to come into this program in almost 2 decades.

Where has that money gone? How has it improved the basketball program? How has it helped our student athletes and coaches?

If we don't address those problems, Rese will only be the first of many to continue to rotate around and through here.

Correct our own problems before we start bitching like jilted teenage lovers.
Spot on Blue Man!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

further backing up Blue Man's post on how rare this is for Rhody the next best player I can think that transferred is Sean Colson in mid 90s...and that's bc he had a guy named Tyson to compete against.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Well despite everything discussed here and elsewhere on the forums I believe our team is dramatically better (on paper) than it was 4 weeks ago.

Good time for URI to show Cox his crafty recruiting work is appreciated. A contractor selection for Tootell hoops facility would be a welcome announcement. A significant price reduction in cost commitment perhaps now due to the covid19 drama?

Edit:
Yeah scratch those comments,

President and trustees likely won’t spend a penny now.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago WIth all the butthurtness going on in this thread - I will once again pose this question, which is the most important of all.

I don't care about where players go, what relationships they have...whatever. We need to answer 2 questions for our program moving forward:

Otherwise this bitching is just awful to read. It makes this fanbase look naive and childish.

Why doesn't a starting player feel like he can make the NBA after playing at URI?

Is it the conference?
Is it the TV time?
Is it the facilities?
Is it the schedules?
Is it the travel perks?
Is it the staff?
Is it the attendance?
Is it the crowd?
Is it the school itself?

Martin is gone. He's a UConn. Why the hell we're sifting through he said/she said and crying tampering without any context...INSTEAD of asking those above questions about ourselves is the problem.

I've NEVER seen an underclassmen starter leave URI to transfer somewhere else. Someone more seasoned than I could probably lend their memory to this, but since I can recall (figure late Penders/early Skinner) I don't EVER remember losing a key piece with a defined role here.

Sure the sport landscape has changed with transfers...Hurley never lost a starter. Baron never lost a starter. Jerry D. Harrick. Skinner. I don't ever remember that happening.

WHY now. We SHOULD be in a high enough level conference, competing for an NCAA spot, with enough nationally relevant games to help our players get to the next level if they're capable.

That's what I want to know. What are we lacking in and why aren't we upping our investment to correct those issues. THAT should be the echo-chamber on this board right now. Demanding accountability for our own failings as a program, and wondering how things have improved or not based on our first NCAA credits to come into this program in almost 2 decades.

Where has that money gone? How has it improved the basketball program? How has it helped our student athletes and coaches?

If we don't address those problems, Rese will only be the first of many to continue to rotate around and through here.

Spot on Blue Man!
Good questions Blue Man
I’d say losing Toppin today is a bigger loss that Tyrese Martin and I like Martin a lot.
Toppin with lots of upside potential.

I’d add “Is it team chemistry? Are players getting along and like one another? Is there a player contributing to this exodus?

Has the AD and President talked to any of these players about their opinions? What can change? What would have made then stay? Any suggestions? What would you change if you were me? (AD or President)

Also consider all teams are not losing players like this or at this rate. Richmond and St Louis are intact.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago

Is it the conference?
Is it the TV time?
Is it the facilities?
Is it the schedules?
Is it the travel perks?
Is it the staff?
Is it the attendance?
Is it the crowd?
Is it the school itself?

Spot on Blue Man!
Good questions Blue Man
I’d say losing Toppin today is a bigger loss that Tyrese Martin and I like Martin a lot.
Toppin with lots of upside potential.

I’d add “Is it team chemistry? Are players getting along and like one another? Is there a player contributing to this exodus?

Has the AD and President talked to any of these players about their opinions? What can change? What would have made then stay? Any suggestions? What would you change if you were me? (AD or President)

Also consider all teams are not losing players like this or at this rate. Richmond and St Louis are intact.
Jesus when I wrote this I mean more of like an "in the future" type way...not like a "2 hours from now" way.

Something is up.

I'm sorry and I know we've tried to explain away a lot of these. Martin and Toppin should be seen as massive failures on the part of this staff and the program as a whole.

If you cannot get STARTERS to want to stay - there is a problem.

Kids will always chase minutes. Bench guys will always think they're worthy of more PT and if they can't get it here they will go somewhere else.

But if your starters (and I think we all assumed Toppin would be the 3 to replace Tyrese) are leaving - you have serious problems to deal with.

If you lose 2 starters in the same offseason - especially guys who were recruited by, and committed to your head coach - there are serious problems that need to be addressed.

I don't know what those problems are...but something needs to be fixed and fast.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Can we end this thread! Who cares about Martin anymore, we have another top player that left to keep us busy for 10 days
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Can we end this thread! Who cares about Martin anymore, we have another top player that left to keep us busy for 10 days
We have recruiting threads live on for years and years who never put on our jersey...
Go Rhody
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I still thinks he sits on the wing with his hands on his hips. Probably will never take a charge and will still get burned by guards going to the basket. Guessing a few more lazy passes and will never pass on a fastbreak. Good luck.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

spookydog wrote: 4 years ago
Who cares??
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......the next posting on him should be in the “former players, where are they now “.......topic
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

From now on, I would rather focus on the players we DO have [or might get], instead of yesterday's news.

There's way too much agita out there as it is......
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

You can read most things into stats based on your bias. The same applies to qualitative measures like the story about Tyrese not wanting to go to the movies after a loss. Some people saw that as dedication and a noble gesture, others may see it as a signal he was not a team player. Tyrese came to URI in a heralded freshman class which disappointed and Tyrese was part of that disappointment. My assessment of Tyrese will always be colored by his irritating body language, his defensive lapses and especially his poor scoring efficiency. But here is a stat comparison in his two URI years. Make what you want of them.

Tyrese Martin Performance
                       1st Season  2nd Season  Differential
•	Scoring, ppg	   7.9	      12.8	  +62%
•	PT, mpg	          26.9	      34.2	  +27%
•	Starts	          16	      30	  +53%
•	Shots Per Game	   7.1	      11.4	  +61%
•	Assists/TO 	  28/40       34/60 	+21%/+50%
•	A/T Ratio	   0.7	       0.5       decline
•	Rebounding Avg.	   5.1         7.1	  +39%
•	FG%	          40.9	      43.2	   +6%
•	3-PT%	          30.1	      32.1	   +7%
•	FT%	          64.8	      66.2	   +2%
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago From now on, I would rather focus on the players we DO have [or might get], instead of yesterday's news.

There's way too much agita out there as it is......
Yep

I’m squarely in the lock 🔒 this thread now please camp

Under the current covid19 circumstances I can flip flip anytime I want
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is pretty clear to anyone with sense that Hurley likely tampered with Martin. He probably did so with Adams as well. Add in that UConn tampered with Hurley during its year long courtship of him. College basketball today has very low ethics.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago It is pretty clear to anyone with sense that Hurley likely tampered with Martin. He probably did so with Adams as well. Add in that UConn tampered with Hurley during its year long courtship of him. College basketball today has very low ethics.
Anybody associated with UCONN, now or in the past, is pure scum. Hurley is no different. He has a great role model in Calhoun, the biggest scumbag of them all.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I agree Calhoun is a douche...but a douche with 3 national championships.

He could coach. Turned a lot of 3 star recruits into NBA players.

Would we have taken that at URI?

You betcha!

Mr. Nice Guys don't win very often...you have to be a prick....but still make your players want to play for you,

Look at Auriemma....same thing.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Calipari won by recruiting Marcus Camby at UMass and riding him.

I guess Bergeron at UMass should have a very high ceiling then. Ever see his social media? He more than fits that bill you just described
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Calipari won by recruiting Marcus Camby at UMass and riding him.

I guess Bergeron at UMass should have a very high ceiling then. Ever see his social media? He more than fits that bill you just described
Well with their center who's going to be a beast in the A10 if he stays...he's already damn good.

Why didn't he transfer yet? Does Bergeron have a magic spell over his Woodstock players?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Calipari won by recruiting Marcus Camby at UMass and riding him.

Well with their center who's going to be a beast in the A10 if he stays...he's already damn good.

Why didn't he transfer yet? Does Bergeron have a magic spell over his Woodstock players?
Bergeron lives with Tre Mitchell’s mom. That is a good start.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I just heard on the Hurley chat call that he mentioned Tyrese received his waiver and is eligible to play this upcoming season. Does anyone know why this was approved and so quickly by the NCAA? Why haven't any of our transfers received a waiver? This was on the UConn fan forum.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Sorry, don't see the post anymore, maybe a mistake
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Spotted this in Lincoln Almond Plaza at Ryan Center.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago Spotted this in Lincoln Almond Plaza at Ryan Center.
Toss it in the pond
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I almost (but definitely do not) feel bad for Tyrese.

I dont see a way he gets a waiver. By the time his senior year comes in 2021-22 and he is eligible, he will have been recruited over and becomes a rotational player his 5th year (if not by midway through his senior year).

Meanwhile in 2021-22 we may have one of the best teams we've seen in the past 20 years (outside of possibly 2016 and 2017).

I hope for his sake that he is able to develop a tremendous mount next season while he sits, but I'd be surprised if he wasnt second guessing this decision now.

Whether I'm right or wrong, good riddance. You don't want to be here, we don't want you here.

But Thorr and URI better start making serious moves on a practice facility now before we lose Cox in 3 years.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago Spotted this in Lincoln Almond Plaza at Ryan Center.
[/quote

Ups it to Hurley.. cod..
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

TrevlontRook3 wrote: 4 years ago
Toss it in the pond
And make a wish <URI NCAAT>
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

looks like a decent skipping rock
steviep123
Sly Williams

Best revenge is for URI to make the tourney the next 2 years.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Best revenge is for URI to make the tourney the next 2 years.
Time to attend AA meetings.
NCAAs or Bust!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Best revenge is for URI to make the tourney the next 2 years.
Time to attend AA meetings.
72, you might want to concern yourself with your own bad takes before commenting. However, while I appreciate your concern, I'm fine. Thank you.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Was there a love note from Slithering Dan on the back?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago ...
72, you might want to concern yourself with your own bad takes before commenting. However, while I appreciate your concern, I'm fine. Thank you.
Stevie lighten up. Your take is an example of why I'm pained to say that the off-season is the best time to be a Rhody basketball fan. When will URI invest in their basketball program, bury its FCS football program, and build a D1 hockey program for men and women? The Title IX multiplier for football and operational costs prevent a realistic expectation of excellence for other sports. The hiring of Cox at a considerable salary savings has set basketball back again. Where will we recover the money to pay a top notch coach more? The basketball program next year will not be in top tier of the A10, Most of my "bad takes" are the painful truth.
NCAAs or Bust!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Stevie lighten up. Your take is an example of why I'm pained to say that the off-season is the best time to be a Rhody basketball fan. When will URI invest in their basketball program, bury its FCS football program, and build a D1 hockey program for men and women? The Title IX multiplier for football and operational costs prevent a realistic expectation of excellence for other sports. The hiring of Cox at a considerable salary savings has set basketball back again. Where will we recover the money to pay a top notch coach more? The basketball program next year will not be in top tier of the A10, Most of my "bad takes" are the painful truth.
Oh, boy, so you make an insensitive comment about going to AA (not to me...but to others who may need it), but I need to lighten up? What is wrong with saying, "the best revenge on Tyrese leaving (if you care) is to make the tourney in the two years he would have been here?"

Of course that should always be the goal. If you want to say that is over simplistic and we should have a better plan in place so people like Martin and Toppin don't want to leave, then I'm all on board. It seems like now at least some of your latest comments here are leaning that way. There are definitely items needed to build the program up and keep it moving forward.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Stop. Talking. About. Hockey. It. Will. Never. Happen.

But I do agree that nobody should be talking about going to the NCAA tournament next year. We won’t have a shot.
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Not to get off of the other topics that everyone else is discussing, and to talk about Tyrese, but posters on the UConn Boards are quite optimistic that he is going to get a waiver based on some comments that DH said???

If he gets a waiver....with no good reason, my head is going to explode!!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

In RI, which is a more talent rich sport - football or hockey? Look around us, which sport has greater fan appeal - college hockey or New England college football. Look at all the fantastic college hockey programs in New England with whom we can compete in packed arenas. My advice to URI, do not hire a former college football player as your next AD!
NCAAs or Bust!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I have to agree with you Waldorf, or Statler, whichever, yeah hockey is big in these parts. We've had nationally ranked HS hockey in this state nearly every year for I can't remember how far back...
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

We've already got topics about hockey, so, go use them if you want to argue that once again. Any further posts about it in this one will be deleted. Thanks!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago Not to get off of the other topics that everyone else is discussing, and to talk about Tyrese, but posters on the UConn Boards are quite optimistic that he is going to get a waiver based on some comments that DH said???

If he gets a waiver....with no good reason, my head is going to explode!!
That could be messy....try to be outside when you find out?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well if Tyrese gets a waiver I would bet that at least one of our guys gets one as well
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

reef wrote: 4 years ago Well if Tyrese gets a waiver I would bet that at least one of our guys gets one as well
I cannot fathom any possible reason for a waiver...not closer to his home, no coaching change, no unkept promises, no problems on the team, no injury....just "I want to play at UConn"

What could be the valid reason to substantiate a waiver from NCAA?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
reef wrote: 4 years ago Well if Tyrese gets a waiver I would bet that at least one of our guys gets one as well
I cannot fathom any possible reason for a waiver...not closer to his home, no coaching change, no unkept promises, no problems on the team, no injury....just "I want to play at UConn"

If Tyrese gets waiver it means they would have reconsidered and said that everyone is getting a waiver. It isn’t going to happen. A couple fans UConn’s website that think he is going to get a waiver Ian much of a meaningful insight to me.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Dan Hurley is a very persuasive man.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Maybe it's
" I was promised 16 shots per game and Coach Cox only got me 10 a game.
I need them for my brand to carry me to the next level !! Waaa! Waaa!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

If Tyrese gets waiver it means the NCAA would have reconsidered and said that everyone is getting a waiver. It isn’t going to happen. A couple fans on UConn’s website that think he is going to get a waiver isn’t very meaningful insight to me.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Part of me believes they give everyone a waiver......it eliminates inequity in the decisions.....Player A got one but Player Z didn't....
....and they know the rule is changing next year anyway....

....the next question is if the season blows out due to COVID concerns does the NCAA grant an extra year of eligibility to all players......
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

They would of approved the the no-sit rule for immediate eligibility last month if they were just planning on approving all waivers. All the schools now have to go through the lengthy process of preparing all the paperwork plus the NCAA needs to take the time to review all the waivers. The NCAA would of eliminated this entire process had this been the plan all along.