General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by Bill Koch »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Also, the NCAA punished Seton Hall for recruiting violations, which they were clearly guilty of. It's not even open for discussion. They contacted him mom like 160 times by text message without Syracuse's approval, and they have all of the evidence.

Why would they target Taurean Thompson himself? They don't typically target the actual student involved. If anything, they consider the student athlete the "victim".
Because it's the NCAA. Being petty and cashing TV checks is their whole deal.

He's also been connected with zero schools - like, there is zero news out there except for the March stuff about his transfer - which makes me think it is more likely he's done with college ball, then him suiting up for a college in 2020-21. There's barely any indication we offered him years ago, and at that time, we didn't make his cut list of like, seven or eight schools. I would be happy to be wrong - he's tall, we need anyone tall and breathing at this point - but again, there have been crickets about him.
To be a grad transfer requires actually graduating in the first place. Might not be the case here. And if that's known among potential recruiters, they'll be far less likely to devote any attention his way.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I hate technicalities
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Wait a minute.

1st year: Syracuse
2nd year: Sit out at Seton Hall
3rd year: Seton Hall
4th year: Seton Hall

So, if he graduated Seton Hall, why would he have to sit out again?
Either he is a grad transfer or he's done with basketball.
You get 5 years to play 4 years. So sitting a year to play in '21-'22 isn't an option.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Did he graduate or not? Their graduation was Monday. Does anyone know?
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Did he graduate or not? Their graduation was Monday. Does anyone know?
Hell man, maybe you can call their enrollment office and ask - You seem to be the lead recruit on this from a URI perspective. Like if we're involved with Thompson, or if anyone is, it is a very, very low-key effort.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Well, not for nothing, but Bill Koch took time out to answer on here. Do I work for the Providence Journal? He proposed the question, yet he's the only one with professional expertise on here to find out.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Oh, sorry, my mistake. If it's not listed on VerbalCommits, we don't know. Nevermind, Greenwell! I decided I don't care anyway.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago
That would be a great get
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

That would be a great get but I would be shocked if we get him
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Absolutely no chance he goes from big 10 starter to the A10
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Patrick Ewing announced he has tested positive for Covid-19.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

It’s starting to feel like we are banking on the twins getting a waiver. I’m sure they working quietly rn, but it would be nice to see an offer to a Big
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Obviously, the roster strategy was built around the one-time transfer rule passing.
I actually have little problem with taking that risk - at some point you have to make a decision and go with it.

The NCAA has historically moved at glacial speeds when considering waivers. P5 schools seem to get preference.
The number of waiver requests will likely quadruple this year due to the number of kids that were counting on the transfer rule passing (and no, I have no math to back that opinion up). (Question: How did so many people misread this situation? Anyway ...)
To my knowledge, the NCAA has not hired additional resources to deal with this surge.
A such, I doubt the non-P5 waivers will even get looked at before the season begins.

My biggest fear is that we will wait too long to sign another big so as not to 'upset' anyone, then all our waivers requests get rejected or not even considered by the NCAA, then the one time transfer rule passes for next year and the four guys sitting out all leave for P5 schools.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago Obviously, the roster strategy was built around the one-time transfer rule passing.
Was it? I think the strategy by URI was pretty smart, with or without the transfer rule.

Yes, it sucks for next season, but based on the names of the 4-year guys URI was recruiting in the spring, it seemed to be all "potential" guys, guys ranked 250-300+, limited high-level offers, etc.

How many of those guys do you want on your team? How many projects? Yes they could have been a body for this season, but how many of them turn into key long-term high-caliber pieces?

Instead, URI grabbed transfers, some guys who are proven at the D1 level (Martin/Bertrand) with some much higher level potential players w/ former 4-star, still young players.

From a long-term team building perspective, I think grabbing those 4 players was smarter than grabbing 2 or 3 4-year lottery tickets, praying to get even just one of them to pan out.

And at this point, do you really want to tie up scholarships on random no-name projects who almost no one is going after just so you have a body or more depth? Unless someone legit shakes free, you are better off keeping some scholarship flexibility for next season.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I do like the transfers we got but would still like to balance out the roster. In our basketball world today, I don't see any team tying up scholarships for the long haul because of all the player movement. Our entire freshman class from last year is gone and 3 out of 4 from the prior class gone and some left mid year. We are allowed 13 scholarship, I like using them because you don't know what you will be left with. Who is to say that our transfers won't eventually leave and be immediate grad transfers somewhere else in 2-3 years.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Sure I think we’d all love to use 13 scholarships but there still needs to be some level of responsibility of using them on the right players. If you throw out Hail Mary late May offers to 4-year eligible players who both are basically Aris, what good does that eligibility do? You have two guys who are complete liabilities who you hope never have to see the court and when they do you hold your breathe because you know how bad they are? I’m sure if the staff had their sights on someone they thought could come in and be a valuable contributor they would be trying to bring them in.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I don't think we should just give a scholarship to any warm body, but someone that can play some play some meaningful minutes. There have been many schools adding some key pieces as of late that would be immediately eligible. That is why I think our staff is working hard behind the scenes on the recruiting circuit.
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Let’s just get two more transfers and add to the waiver, if NCAA doesn’t pass 1-2 of them then we will red-shirt our team and play the best pickup team we can find in Mackal gym. Put the pressure on them. That’ll work won’t it? 🤣
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 years ago I do like the transfers we got but would still like to balance out the roster. In our basketball world today, I don't see any team tying up scholarships for the long haul because of all the player movement. Our entire freshman class from last year is gone and 3 out of 4 from the prior class gone and some left mid year. We are allowed 13 scholarship, I like using them because you don't know what you will be left with. Who is to say that our transfers won't eventually leave and be immediate grad transfers somewhere else in 2-3 years.
I'd certainly like to use them all this upcoming season. A grad transfer who can play at this level would help a lot given the need. I wanted Jonah Antonio not because I thought he would be a superstar but that he was experienced and probably would not hurt us when he was on the floor. We need at least one more player. I would have given a scholarship to Richards to have some big man depth even if he was seen as maybe a borderline prospect. Does anyone know if we would have accepted his commitment?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like our current strategy with the transfers, Fatts keeps us at least competitive next year then the next 2 years we back at top of conference and competitive for big dances
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago I like our current strategy with the transfers, Fatts keeps us at least competitive next year then the next 2 years we back at top of conference and competitive for big dances
Sorry guys. Love the optimism, but as currently constituted and with none of the transfers eligible this is not a competitive team. Obviously that can change with an eligible big or 2 that is or are not just warm bodies. Nothing against Harris and Walker. Expecting improvement in both their games, but we are not deep enough in the frontcourt to compete. Obviously Cox is working tirelessly to address this and time will tell. Hoping for the best..🏀🏀..
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Given we could not even get Antwan Walker eligible last year for the first semester after sitting out a FULL year with no basketball and being kicked off his team, I have little expectation URI will see much success in getting waivers this year. It seems the NCAA mostly only fast tracks and approves waivers for the cartel conference teams. Rhody rarely ever has gotten a break from the NCAA.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Maybe because the rule change is supposedly coming the next year anyway... with no sit-out....they grant 100% of all waiver requests this year...with or without a valid reason...ask for waivers on all transfers is my advice...
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Or it could go the other way and the NCAA says why bother, we are approving in a year anyway. Why risk continued controversy and potential lawsuits while trying to grant exceptions equitably - which they have been terrible at to this point.

I'd say move on, plan on the season with what we have. It is also unsettling for the players who are eligible to not know what the final roster is going to be. If these 4 guys do get waivers I could see a player of two moving on. DJ Johnson would have his amount of playing time in jeopardy if the transfers get waivers. It's time to fish or cut bait.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Or it could go the other way and the NCAA says why bother, we are approving in a year anyway. Why risk continued controversy and potential lawsuits while trying to grant exceptions equitably - which they have been terrible at to this point.

I'd say move on, plan on the season with what we have. It is also unsettling for the players who are eligible to not know what the final roster is going to be. If these 4 guys do get waivers I could see a player of two moving on. DJ Johnson would have his amount of playing time in jeopardy if the transfers get waivers. It's time to fish or cut bait.
So you would rather just go with what we have because it might be unsettling for DJ Johnson? If they get the four players eligible I’m not too concerned about who moves on. These 4 transfers combined with Fatts back is very strong and has NCAA tourney talent. They aren’t going to the Tourney with the talent they have. If they were able to get two more immediate eligible players than I would be alright with the transfers sitting, but there just it doesn’t look like there are a lot of options at this point.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Or it could go the other way and the NCAA says why bother, we are approving in a year anyway. Why risk continued controversy and potential lawsuits while trying to grant exceptions equitably - which they have been terrible at to this point.

So you would rather just go with what we have because it might be unsettling for DJ Johnson? If they get the four players eligible I’m not too concerned about who moves on. These 4 transfers combined with Fatts back is very strong and has NCAA tourney talent. They aren’t going to the Tourney with the talent they have. If they were able to get two more immediate eligible players than I would be alright with the transfers sitting, but there just it doesn’t look like there are a lot of options at this point.
No. Just make the decisions quickly. Don't drag out the decision making process because it effects more people than just the 4 transfers and fans. That is my only point.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago Maybe because the rule change is supposedly coming the next year anyway... with no sit-out....they grant 100% of all waiver requests this year...with or without a valid reason...ask for waivers on all transfers is my advice...
By all means, seek the waivers as there is nothing to lose in doing so. Just don't expect and plan that they will be granted. Assume and plan on these players sitting out. If any get granted waivers, that is a added bonus.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

My position is if a player transfers into an A10 school they are immediately eligible...if they transfer out of an A10 school they have to sit out 2 years.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago Maybe because the rule change is supposedly coming the next year anyway... with no sit-out....they grant 100% of all waiver requests this year...with or without a valid reason...ask for waivers on all transfers is my advice...
By all means, seek the waivers as there is nothing to lose in doing so. Just don't expect and plan that they will be granted. Assume and plan on these players sitting out. If any get granted waivers, that is a added bonus.
Absolutely. These transfers were never supposed to be eligible. It’s pure unexpected bonus if they get waivers but a long shot at best.
Long, Toppin and Martin were all unexpected transfers - that is what has made waiver granting so critical now. Not sure if that cryin towel will work but worth a try I suppose.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Given we could not even get Antwan Walker eligible last year for the first semester after sitting out a FULL year with no basketball and being kicked off his team, I have little expectation URI will see much success in getting waivers this year. It seems the NCAA mostly only fast tracks and approves waivers for the cartel conference teams. Rhody rarely ever has gotten a break from the NCAA.
1. GTown did not cooperate;
2. I think Rhody relied on precedent, thinking it should be granted instead of fighting for it. Sounds like they are fighting for it this time with lawyers the way the big schools do.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’ll be glad when all this waiver BS is history

Anyone can transfer in any other sport except Football, Basketball, Hockey, Baseball. Stupid money hungry NCAA that can’t even come close to granting waivers equitably.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Good get for Dayton.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

The Big East isn't seeing "a lot" of transfers - certainly no more than any other conference - but some big names moving out for sure.
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

If Mack or Carey were ready to commit... would / should we take one of them? The roster for 2021 would be very exciting. Wondering if we are still pushing for them.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Speculation is a lot of waivers will be granted because of the craziness CV 19 has caused and because they’re going to change the rule in a year anyway.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Speculation is a lot of waivers will be granted because of the craziness CV 19 has caused and because they’re going to change the rule in a year anyway.
Then why not just pass the rule?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah just make em all eligible
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Speculation is a lot of waivers will be granted because of the craziness CV 19 has caused and because they’re going to change the rule in a year anyway.
Then why not just pass the rule?
Too logical. It’s the NCAA.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Speculation was also that the transfer rule would pass - I strongly believe the NCAA will keep most programs in limbo about the waiver decisions until 1 week before the season starts, in a flurry of decisions will grant 30%, mostly from programs that would be likely to have lawyers sue the institution
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

See my post above from 4 days ago.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

That was Thor’s point in the interview with Steve MacDonald.
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago
So just change it.
Dodge the inequities and the lawsuits.
No reason to wait if you are going to do it anyway.

Why not make it simple

Oh yeah

Dan Gavitt.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago
So just change it.
Dodge the inequities and the lawsuits.
No reason to wait if you are going to do it anyway.

Why not make it simple

Oh yeah

Dan Gavitt.
Just seeing the name makes me want to puke.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Andre Adams (PF/C 6'9''/230) grad transfer from Southern Utah just entered the transfer portal, will be immediately eligible. He started his career at Arizona State and was a 3*.
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Jersey77 wrote: 4 years ago Andre Adams (PF/C 6'9''/230) grad transfer from Southern Utah just entered the transfer portal, will be immediately eligible. He started his career at Arizona State and was a 3*.
Sign me up. Where’d you see he is transferring
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Verbal commits transfers recent updates
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody19/21 wrote: 4 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 4 years ago Andre Adams (PF/C 6'9''/230) grad transfer from Southern Utah just entered the transfer portal, will be immediately eligible. He started his career at Arizona State and was a 3*.
Sign me up. Where’d you see he is transferring
It would definitely be someone we would want, but why would he come cross country to play at URI and what connection do we have to him?