Roster 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Re: Roster 2020-21

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago So with the guys we have now, assuming no transfers are eligible. What’s our depth chart?

G - Fatts
G - Sheppard
G - Ish - Tres
F - Walker - Johnson
F - Harris

I almost think we go after 2 immediately eligible bigs (frosh or grad). I’d have no issues with Fatts, Sheppard, Ish and Tres playing 30+ min a game but we need more bodies in the front court. The Ousman decommit stings.
There is actually playing time available for a freshman big for at least 3 out of his 4 years on the team. He could play as a freshman, mostly sit as a sophomore and then have playing time available again as an upperclassman after Jermaine and Antwan graduate. If a guy is really concerned he could redshirt his second season. You always need at least 3 bigs. I think Ousmane made a mistake.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago So with the guys we have now, assuming no transfers are eligible. What’s our depth chart?

G - Fatts
G - Sheppard
G - Ish - Tres
F - Walker - Johnson
F - Harris

I almost think we go after 2 immediately eligible bigs (frosh or grad). I’d have no issues with Fatts, Sheppard, Ish and Tres playing 30+ min a game but we need more bodies in the front court. The Ousman decommit stings.
There is actually playing time available for a freshman big for at least 3 out of his 4 years on the team. He could play as a freshman, mostly sit as a sophomore and then have playing time available again as an upperclassman after Jermaine and Antwan graduate. If a guy is really concerned he could redshirt his second season. You always need at least 3 bigs. I think Ousmane made a mistake.
It is highly unlikely unless an injury is involved that a guy would play for the team this year and than sit out next year because he is behind players on the depth chart. If it is a developmental player that isn’t ready for the D1 like DJ is than the redshirt would be an option. It sounds good on paper, but no kid wants to sit.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I can't wait to see Dj play.
GO RAMS
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

G - Fatts
G - Sheppard
G - Ish - Tres
F - Walker - Johnson
F - Harris

I am happy Fatts is back. Here's our major issue as I see it. What happens when Walker and Harris pick up their second fouls with 10 minutes left in the first half? Or their 4th with 18 minutes left in the game. Cox has to find 2 big men that can run and chew gum at the same time. No wing no guards but 2 bigs
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago I can't wait to see if Dj plays.
FIFY
bmat07
Abdul Fox

Unread post by bmat07 »

Assuming we can’t find/fill the last two scholarships with bigs, what’s the likelihood we run 4 guards and 1 F in the lineups? I know this move has burnt us against bigger teams (i.e. Virginia game —watching a guy like Stan Robinson’s size to try and guard a big is rough), but I feel like with our guard depth and athleticism this might be our best play. Thoughts?
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Considering:

1. No non conference games
and
2. The biggest team we are probably going to face is St Louis

I would say... sure, why not?
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

bmat07 wrote: 4 years ago Assuming we can’t find/fill the last two scholarships with bigs, what’s the likelihood we run 4 guards and 1 F in the lineups? I know this move has burnt us against bigger teams (i.e. Virginia game —watching a guy like Stan Robinson’s size to try and guard a big is rough), but I feel like with our guard depth and athleticism this might be our best play. Thoughts?

Yes, agree. Put your best guys on the floor.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

bmat07 wrote: 4 years ago Assuming we can’t find/fill the last two scholarships with bigs, what’s the likelihood we run 4 guards and 1 F in the lineups? I know this move has burnt us against bigger teams (i.e. Virginia game —watching a guy like Stan Robinson’s size to try and guard a big is rough), but I feel like with our guard depth and athleticism this might be our best play. Thoughts?
I think with the 4 guards currently eligible on the roster that it would be a painful experience. We have two small guys and two freshman. The two freshman both have good size to play the traditional shooting guard roll and can probably handle the wing. We would absolutely get killed on the boards if we tried it for more than five minutes a game. We need an additional forward on the team.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Let's schedule UNH, ECSU etc with this line-up.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago Let's schedule UNH, ECSU etc with this line-up.
Imagine who we’d have to schedule without your boy Fatts coming back ?

RIC and Roger Williams woulda given us a run for our money without him.
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

Maybe Hendricken.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

G - Fatts
G - Sheppard
G - Ish - Tres
F - Walker - Johnson
F - Harris

This assumes nobody else leaves between now and whenever the season starts. I wouldn’t bet on that.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Even with Fatts, we will not break .500 in the A10. This is on Cox - he has control, so he is responsible.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago

Even with Fatts, we will not break .500 in the A10. This is on Cox - he has control, so he is responsible.
Yea I also think it’s going to be a struggle to get to .500 in conference play.

All depends on how strong/weak our H&H opponents are.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

As the roster is right now I think .500 in conf sounds right we need a couple good grad transfers then maybe we can get above that
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I believe there are 800+ transfers at this point and I expect the NCAA will get about that same # of waiver requests. I have a bad feeling they are going to simplify the parameters to speed up the process. I think it’s going to be was there a head coaching change, or do you have a family emergency ( mom’s got cancer and I need to be closer to home, etc). If so step to the front of the line. Anything else sit down, stop whining and wait a year. I hope I’m wrong but I have a bad feeling about very many waivers being granted.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I agree with Chico. With everything that is going on related to the Virus the NCAA no doubt does not have the staff that has the time to deal with all these transfer waiver requests.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago I believe there are 800+ transfers at this point and I expect the NCAA will get about that same # of waiver requests. I have a bad feeling they are going to simplify the parameters to speed up the process. I think it’s going to be was there a head coaching change, or do you have a family emergency ( mom’s got cancer and I need to be closer to home, etc). If so step to the front of the line. Anything else sit down, stop whining and wait a year. I hope I’m wrong but I have a bad feeling about very many waivers being granted.

Total 2020 Transfers To Date: 923 and still increasing.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2020

I also found this for the Transfer Portal:

At the time, of 302,000 student-athletes competing in Divisions I and II during the 2018-19 academic year, more than 15,000 had entered their names in the Transfer Portal.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

There has been some speculation that the reason the NCAA put the sit-out free transfers up for discussion in the first place is because they no longer want to go through all of the waiver requests. As we've seen in the past, being closer to home and coaching changes are not the only reasons why waivers are given. There's limitless personal reasons that can be claimed for why a player needed to transfer so none of us really know what any of our transfers' case will be.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

There has been some speculation that the reason the NCAA put the sit-out free transfers up for discussion in the first place is because they no longer want to go through all of the waiver requests. As we've seen in the past, being closer to home and coaching changes are not the only reasons why waivers are given. There's limitless personal reasons that can be claimed for why a player needed to transfer so none of us really know what any of our transfers' case will be.
That's my point. They are tired of the endless scenarios put forward for waivers so the 1 time no penalty transfer.
Because of Covid/ etc. no decision made and they are left to deal with even more players with transfer requests.
What to do? Simplify waiver parameters to a few easy to verify reasons Coaching change ( black and white). Sick
parent /Relative (Dr's Letter) again easy to verify. Anything else - GO AWAY and take a seat- The wizard isn't seeing anyone else today.
Going forward they will meet in January 2021 to rule.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

all these transfers are awful for the sport

i hate it
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

If we could get everyone eligible for next year that would obviously make this an extremely deep team, but if we can even just get the Twins eligible we will be in very good shape. Fatts and Sheppard make us set at PG and also between them playing shooting guard and Berry/Leggett we would be in good shape. They could move Walker to play some time at the small forward spot and the rest of the time could go three guard lineups to Berry and Leggett. In the front court having Harris and the Twins rotate would be huge and give any remaining minutes to Walker. If we land Carey having him sit with three years left and practicing with Fatts and Sheppard would be a positive thing for his development. Also having Martin and Betrand ready to go with two years left in 2021-22 would make this team stacked for potentially three more years. Granted if they all could be eligible that would be the best case, although it could lead to complaints about playing time. The first scenario of just the twins eligible would get Leggett and Berry time for this upcoming year behind Fatts and Sheppard. If they land Carey and get all the transfer eligible this could be one of the deepest teams we have had in many years. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Let's hold off on the Carey talk until we get the paperwork signed and he's here. Hasn't even committed yet.

Wherever he goes (hoping for URI obviously), I'm sure he will be petitioning the NCAA for last year and will look to be immediately eligible with 3 years left to play.

We are all counting our chickens before they hatch, myself included, but we could be looking at having some high caliber A10 teams here at URI for the next several years.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Let's hold off on the Carey talk until we get the paperwork signed and he's here. Hasn't even committed yet.

Wherever he goes (hoping for URI obviously), I'm sure he will be petitioning the NCAA for last year and will look to be immediately eligible with 3 years left to play.

We are all counting our chickens before they hatch, myself included, but we could be looking at having some high caliber A10 teams here at URI for the next several years.
No more holding off!
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Chickens hatched. Jalen Carey added.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Now let's get crazy with our roster talk. Sweet 16 run in 21-22????
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

It’s tough to even talk about the 20-21 roster with so much uncertainty around waivers. But a lot of things to be excited about this year and for the future. Cox and co did a nice job of turning what could have been a tumultuous offseason into a strong roster make up for the future.
It’s aged us all, but hopefully it’ll be a lot to cheer about.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

So we are confident about a waiver for Jalen Carey?

Anybody else?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Who knows with the NCAA , I wouldn’t be optimistic but maybe they will throw us some kind of bone ??
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago So we are confident about a waiver for Jalen Carey?

Anybody else?
I am confident we get a waiver for Carey. I don’t think anyone else gets a waiver.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago So we are confident about a waiver for Jalen Carey?

Anybody else?
I am confident we get a waiver for Carey. I don’t think anyone else gets a waiver.
Why would Carey’s situation be any better? He was injured, but still was part of the team and at Syracuse the whole year. It only helps in terms of getting an extra year of eligibility.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

Anybody else?
Why would Carey’s situation be any better? He was injured, but still was part of the team and at Syracuse the whole year. It only helps in terms of getting an extra year of eligibility.
Because the NCAA in denying the waiver would be limiting Carey to only 3 years of playing eligibility. Carey will get or may already have the medical waiver.
Year 1: Played full season
Year 2: Played only 2 games then injured. Medical extra year.
Year 3: Sit our penalty
Year 4: Play 2nd full season at URI
Year 5: Play 3rd full season at URI
Finished

The NCAA will give Carey a better chance since he will lose a year playing

From the article below........

Two years ago, Carey played in 25 games, mostly as a freshman reserve, and then started the first two games of this past season.

However, he struggled in part because of an injured thumb. He underwent surgery and missed the remainder of the season.

He announced his decision to transfer in March. He has not yet decided to which school he will transfer.

The 6-foot-3 guard was able to take a medical redshirt, meaning he still has three years of eligibility left.

Even though he was injured this past season, Carey would still be subject to the NCAA’s rule forcing players to sit out a year following their transfer.

Carey would seem to be a strong candidate to have a waiver approved, but it’s no guarantee.

If he doesn’t receive a waiver, Carey would lose a year of eligibility as he would have to sit out the 2020-21 season, leaving him with just two years left to play.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syracu ... utType=amp
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Medical or injury causing a redshirt season has been one of the few reasons that the NCAA has granted a 6th year of eligibility, so even if Jalen is not granted a waiver this season it is possibly he may still may get 3 seasons of eligibility here. This is more common in football, because most basketball players move on and many decide to play professionally somewhere.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 years ago Medical or injury causing a redshirt season has been one of the few reasons that the NCAA has granted a 6th year of eligibility, so even if Jalen is not granted a waiver this season it is possibly he may still may get 3 seasons of eligibility here. This is more common in football, because most basketball players move on and many decide to play professionally somewhere.
This is true. An exception could be made in the future to give Carey a 6th year. It’s also the reason why some are saying just approve the waiver now, let Carey play, because ultimately you will be asked to approve a waiver later.
So give the waiver now, the kid might not to want to be in college for 6 years. Why make him go 6 years when you can give him 4 years of playing time now with 5 years in college? Plus you are going to grant instant eligibility anyway most likely approving the Big 10 Transfer Proposal.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Ramster, I agree with your logic, but whoever says the NCAA does what makes sense? In this particular case because of his injury last year, maybe they will make an exception.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Carey’s case makes the most sense. If he doesn’t get eligibility then for sure the other 4 URI transfers shouldn’t get waivers.
My guess is we get the Carey Waiver for 2020-2021 eligibility and the other 4 transfers sit til 2021-2022.

I also don’t think Tyrese Martin, Toppin or Long should or will get waivers either
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

So we have 7 players and 5 potential waivers. Need at least one waiver to pass. Even if only Carey gets a waiver I think it is a huge improvement. Carey, Fatts and Shepherd gives us 3 experienced and older guards to go along with Ish and Berry. Still thin up front, but with 5 extremely talented guards we can make some noise. Play some 4 guard sets to keep JH and Antwan fresh, cross fingers that DJ can contribute some at the 4 spot.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

The twins are the ones that we really need eligible in order to be a tourney contender next year. Carey is a great fit for 2021-22 when Fatts and Sheppard depart. It might be tough to fit all these guys in at point guard next year. Obviously they would all play together, but we will be a very small team. Carey’s best position is not shooting guard as he not known for being an outside shooter. Carey has stated that point guard is the position he wants to play and needs to excel at in order to be able to play professionally some day. They may have to play 4 guards in a lot of situations next year as they will be their best players. The last spot was originally one Cox was going to hold onto, but he will have to use it on immediate front court player. No way is Harris and an undersized Walker enough in the front court.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cox said last week he would hold the spot for transfer players available at mid year.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago So we have 7 players and 5 potential waivers. Need at least one waiver to pass. Even if only Carey gets a waiver I think it is a huge improvement. Carey, Fatts and Shepherd gives us 3 experienced and older guards to go along with Ish and Berry. Still thin up front, but with 5 extremely talented guards we can make some noise. Play some 4 guard sets to keep JH and Antwan fresh, cross fingers that DJ can contribute some at the 4 spot.
Roster for 2020-2021 - As of June 6, 2020
Starters
Russell G - 5’7”
Sheppard G - 6’1”
Leggett G - 6’2”
Harris F - 6’8”
Walker F - 6’7”

Bench
Johnson F - 6’7”
Berry G - 6’3”
Carey G - 6’2” - expect to get Waiver For 2020-2021

Transferred In
Makhi Mitchell F - 6’10” Eligible Nov 2021
Makhel Mitchell F - 6’10” Eligible Nov 2021
Martin G - 6’6” Eligible Nov 2021
Betrand G 6’5” Eligible Nov 2021

Transferred Out
Martin G - 6’6” UConn Eligible Nov 2021
Toppin F - 6’8” Kentucky Eligible Nov 2021
Long F - 6’7” Old Dominion Eligible Nov 2021
Wood G - 6'5" - prep at Mansannutten
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Carey’s case makes the most sense. If he doesn’t get eligibility then for sure the other 4 URI transfers shouldn’t get waivers.
My guess is we get the Carey Waiver for 2020-2021 eligibility and the other 4 transfers sit til 2021-2022.

I also don’t think Tyrese Martin, Toppin or Long should or will get waivers either
Why does Carey's case make the most sense?

Carey obviously missed all of last year, which sucks and would totally qualify for a medical hardship waiver.

However, he then decided to transfer knowing that the rules state that you have to sit for a season if you transfer unless you qualify for hardship waiver.

Deciding to transfer is a voluntary action. It should be seen as two separate issues.

That is not to say the player won't qualify for a waiver on another merit, but just that I don't believe missing the prior season is automatically some sort of get out of jail free pass to not have to sit the following season if you decide to transfer.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago So we have 7 players and 5 potential waivers. Need at least one waiver to pass. Even if only Carey gets a waiver I think it is a huge improvement. Carey, Fatts and Shepherd gives us 3 experienced and older guards to go along with Ish and Berry. Still thin up front, but with 5 extremely talented guards we can make some noise. Play some 4 guard sets to keep JH and Antwan fresh, cross fingers that DJ can contribute some at the 4 spot.
Roster for 2020-2021 - As of June 6, 2020
Starters
Russell G - 5’7”
Sheppard G - 6’1”
Leggett G - 6’2”
Harris F - 6’8”
Walker F - 6’7”

Bench
Johnson F - 6’7”
Berry G - 6’3”
Carey G - 6’2” - expect to get Waiver For 2020-2021

Transferred In
Makhi Mitchell F - 6’10” Eligible Nov 2021
Makhel Mitchell F - 6’10” Eligible Nov 2021
Martin G - 6’6” Eligible Nov 2021
Betrand G 6’5” Eligible Nov 2021

Transferred Out
Martin G - 6’6” UConn Eligible Nov 2021
Toppin F - 6’8” Kentucky Eligible Nov 2021
Long F - 6’7” Old Dominion Eligible Nov 2021
Wood G - 6'5" - prep at Mansannutten
Fatts is bound to be taller than 5'7.

Give him 5'8
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Carey’s case makes the most sense. If he doesn’t get eligibility then for sure the other 4 URI transfers shouldn’t get waivers.

Why does Carey's case make the most sense?

Carey obviously missed all of last year, which sucks and would totally qualify for a medical hardship waiver.

However, he then decided to transfer knowing that the rules state that you have to sit for a season if you transfer unless you qualify for hardship waiver.

Deciding to transfer is a voluntary action. It should be seen as two separate issues.

That is not to say the player won't qualify for a waiver on another merit, but just that I don't believe missing the prior season is automatically some sort of get out of jail free pass to not have to sit the following season if you decide to transfer.
Never says it was an automatic get out of jail free card.
Other articles I’ve read are indicating Carey is likely to get the Waiver.
I said he is most likely of the 5 incoming transfers. That’s all.

And just as I heard early this week we had a good shot at landing Carey on Friday, I also heard we have a good shot at him getting a waiver. Time will tell as always.

The good news is a good number of Friar Fans font seem too happy about Carey landing at URI :D

Could be added interest to the PC URI game if Carey gets his waiver and his former teammate at Syracuse, Brycen Goodine, gets a waiver for being homesick.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RJ,

Can you give your opinion on why pathetic PC trolls always tweet nonsense responding to positive Rhody tweets from any national writer?

For a fanbase who says they're not concerned with our program, it’s pretty ironic.
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago RJ,

Can you give your opinion on why pathetic PC trolls always tweet nonsense responding to positive Rhody tweets from any national writer?

For a fanbase who says they're not concerned with our program, it’s pretty ironic.
I believe most trolls on twitter to be under the age of 15 so I don’t quite concern myself where they constant idiocy. Every program has them. I think Twitter in particular is the septic system of our society. I find verified tweets to be useful but don’t need the diarrhea of the mouth that comes from their followers.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Here's the thing that is ruffling my feathers,

right now the NCAA has the ability to make us anything they want next season,

they could approve the lot and we would have the potential to crash the top 25 party.

they could approve no one and we would clearly be in the lower 100 teams, something like 250 maybe 300, with a ton of hard work maybe win 12/13 games.

they could approve select players and design a top 100 team but one with little chance of post season success.

they can do it all without explanation.

and suffice to say we're not the only program in this position. frankly, it gives them too much authority over people's lives, over the university's financial success and multiple local economies.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I think you are being a little pessimistic on our team next year if nobody gets a waiver. We will have a top 4 backcourt, and if Harris and twan improve and johnson is the shooter we have heard I think we could be the 6th best team. Big ifs for sure. We need Harris particularly to be a monster on the glass without fouling too much.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Roz wrote: 4 years ago I think you are being a little pessimistic on our team next year if nobody gets a waiver. We will have a top 4 backcourt, and if Harris and twan improve and johnson is the shooter we have heard I think we could be the 6th best team. Big ifs for sure. We need Harris particularly to be a monster on the glass without fouling too much.
Let's be real.. our frontcourt as currently constituted is not good enough or deep enough, especially deep enough to make any kind of tourney run.. not saying the Mitchell's are the answer because who knows how good they really are, but they appear to be our best hope for a successful 2020-21 campaign. Otherwise this year is probably a punt.. fingers crossed they get the waiver. Only punting I want to see is on the🏈 field....
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Well we have seen A10 success with that Dayton team who made the elite 8 with nobody over 6-7, and Richmond has been running three guards of late.