2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: 2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Ramster,

I think the difference, which you omit, is that in all those scenarios where you mention back-to-back games being played (not specifically the NBA or conference tournaments where teams are punished by needing to play more games), both opponents are roughly in the same place from a fatigue standpoint, as both teams played on the previous day.

I do remember an extreme case for PC, in 2004, where PC played 3 games in 4 days. They played then #1 Wake Forest and lost by 12 on Wednesday in the semi-finals of the preseason NIT, played Michigan and won by 9 on Friday in the 3rd place game of the preseason NIT, and then traveled down to Florida to play a "neutral" court game on Saturday against the #23 Gators, and ran out of gas in the second half and lost by 18. Conversely, Florida had not played since Tuesday.

This scenario is not nearly as dramatic, as playing a game at PC isn't exactly traveling (although I'm guessing the team stays over in a hotel in Providence the night before the game), but you do run into the scenario that depending on Boise's schedule, they could be sitting there with much fresher legs on the 5th. It's certainly unusual and not common practice to give the opponent that type of potential advantage.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Ramster,

I think the difference, which you omit, is that in all those scenarios where you mention back-to-back games being played (not specifically the NBA or conference tournaments where teams are punished by needing to play more games), both opponents are roughly in the same place from a fatigue standpoint, as both teams played on the previous day.

I do remember an extreme case for PC, in 2004, where PC played 3 games in 4 days. They played then #1 Wake Forest and lost by 12 on Wednesday in the semi-finals of the preseason NIT, played Michigan and won by 9 on Friday in the 3rd place game of the preseason NIT, and then traveled down to Florida to play a "neutral" court game on Saturday against the #23 Gators, and ran out of gas in the second half and lost by 18. Conversely, Florida had not played since Tuesday.

This scenario is not nearly as dramatic, as playing a game at PC isn't exactly traveling (although I'm guessing the team stays over in a hotel in Providence the night before the game), but you do run into the scenario that depending on Boise's schedule, they could be sitting there with much fresher legs on the 5th. It's certainly unusual and not common practice to give the opponent that type of potential advantage.
RJ,
Boise State was scheduled long ago for Saturday December 5th

PC just this week scheduled their home game vs URI for Friday Dec 4th

So PC screwed URI

It doesn't matter to me being back to back as I said, but URI's AD, President and Coaches obviously had to agree to the game

Why did PC screw URI like this?
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
RJ,
Boise State was scheduled long ago for Saturday December 5th

PC just this week scheduled their home game vs URI for Friday Dec 4th

So PC screwed URI

It doesn't matter to me being back to back as I said, but URI's AD, President and Coaches obviously had to agree to the game

Why did PC screw URI like this?
That's not how it works ... Both teams work together to find a common date -- they look at their existing schedule of games and try to find a common time to play. So if PC scheduled the game for December 4th, it came with the approval of URI. The likely answer is that the A10/MWC is not happening, or dates have moved. The unlikely answer is that URI agreed to play back-to-back OOC games.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

PC - URI game is usually the first Saturday in December. Although they played on the first Friday in December last year for TV purposes. Not sure it really changed from last year and with BE going to 20 conference games I am pretty sure keeping it around the date is is normally scheduled is locked in. I don't think PC tried to screw us on this one.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'd bet PC is playing a Conference Game on that same weekend. Some conferences that went to 20 games are using that same weekend to open their conference season.

URI and PC agreed to the Friday Night game

PC probably doesn't have too many dates available due to their 20 game season. Plus ESPN probably wanted Friday night.

I have no problem with playing Boise State on Saturday. Apparently URI has no problem with it either

And I agree PC was not trying to screw URI.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

An attendance advantage is alums could come in town and see two of the best OOC games on the schedule in one trip
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago PC - URI game is usually the first Saturday in December. Although they played on the first Friday in December last year for TV purposes. Not sure it really changed from last year and with BE going to 20 conference games I am pretty sure keeping it around the date is is normally scheduled is locked in. I don't think PC tried to screw us on this one.

The URI-PC game has been held on dates other than the first Saturday of December since 2000. In fact, five of the last ten meetings have not been on a Saturday. Reasons have included scheduling issues (both sides) and dates with better tv viewership potential.

URI-PC Games since 2000
12/2/2000 (PCC) 72-95 L A SAT
12/1/2001 (PCC) 59-71 L H SAT
12/7/2002 (PCC) 73-71 W A SAT
12/6/2003 89-79 W H SAT
12/4/2004 58-65 L A SAT
12/3/2005 77-69 W H SAT
12/2/2006 66-95 L A SAT
12/4/2007 77-60 W H TUE
12/6/2008 65-66 L A SAT
12/5/2009 86-82 W H SAT
12/4/2010 74-87 L A SAT
12/23/2011 61-80 L H FRI
12/6/2012 57-72 L A THU
12/6/2013 49-50 L H FRI
12/10/2014 60-68 L A WED
12/5/2015 72-74 L H SAT
12/3/2016 60-63 L A SAT
12/2/2017 75-68 W H SAT
12/1/2018 50-59 L A SAT
12/6/2019 75-61 W H FRI
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 4 years ago I'd bet PC is playing a Conference Game on that same weekend. Some conferences that went to 20 games are using that same weekend to open their conference season.
I suppose it's possible, but I do believe it's unlikely and I'll supply my evidence. The Big East scheduling pattern, specifically in the last 2-3 years, is to never have a team play a game with only one day of rest in-between. I don't see a situation where PC would know they were starting the BE season on a Sunday and also schedule an OOC game for the Friday night. You'd have to go back to December 20th and December 22nd, 2017, for the last time PC played two games in three days (not in a tournament setting).
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago PC - URI game is usually the first Saturday in December. Although they played on the first Friday in December last year for TV purposes. Not sure it really changed from last year and with BE going to 20 conference games I am pretty sure keeping it around the date is is normally scheduled is locked in. I don't think PC tried to screw us on this one.

The URI-PC game has been held on dates other than the first Saturday of December since 2000. In fact, five of the last ten meetings have not been on a Saturday. Reasons have included scheduling issues (both sides) and dates with better tv viewership potential.

URI-PC Games since 2000
12/2/2000 (PCC) 72-95 L A SAT
12/1/2001 (PCC) 59-71 L H SAT
12/7/2002 (PCC) 73-71 W A SAT
12/6/2003 89-79 W H SAT
12/4/2004 58-65 L A SAT
12/3/2005 77-69 W H SAT
12/2/2006 66-95 L A SAT
12/4/2007 77-60 W H TUE
12/6/2008 65-66 L A SAT
12/5/2009 86-82 W H SAT
12/4/2010 74-87 L A SAT
12/23/2011 61-80 L H FRI
12/6/2012 57-72 L A THU
12/6/2013 49-50 L H FRI
12/10/2014 60-68 L A WED
12/5/2015 72-74 L H SAT
12/3/2016 60-63 L A SAT
12/2/2017 75-68 W H SAT
12/1/2018 50-59 L A SAT
12/6/2019 75-61 W H FRI
8 of the last 10 have been held during the first weekend of December and 17 of the last 20 were on the first weekend of December. I am so sorry that some were on a Friday. Does it make you feel better that I word it that way or do I let you win this one? WTF.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

ramster wrote: 4 years agoI see no problem playing PC and Boise back to back
I bet Boise is not playing back to back games, Boise will have more rest, that is not fair. All of your examples required all teams to play on the same days.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years agoI see no problem playing PC and Boise back to back
I bet Boise is not playing back to back games, Boise will have more rest, that is not fair. All of your examples required all teams to play on the same days.
Maybe so. But their schedule is not out yet so who knows.

Boise is flying across 3 times zones

But again, PC has the home game. They hold the cards. Boise was schedule a long time ago. PC scheduled it 2-3 days ago.

URI could have said no I assume.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago I'd bet PC is playing a Conference Game on that same weekend. Some conferences that went to 20 games are using that same weekend to open their conference season.
I suppose it's possible, but I do believe it's unlikely and I'll supply my evidence. The Big East scheduling pattern, specifically in the last 2-3 years, is to never have a team play a game with only one day of rest in-between. I don't see a situation where PC would know they were starting the BE season on a Sunday and also schedule an OOC game for the Friday night. You'd have to go back to December 20th and December 22nd, 2017, for the last time PC played two games in three days (not in a tournament setting).
Boise was scheduled long ago

PC home game. I don’t know why your school scheduled it the night before a URI long ago scheduled inter conference home game at URI. I’ll do some digging.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

PC home game. I don’t know why your school scheduled it the night before a URI long ago scheduled inter conference home game at URI. I’ll do some digging.
That's not how scheduling work. When teams schedule games, they share open dates and find a date that they have in common. That's why it is my belief that the A10/MWC is not happening. It's either that, or they moved the Boise game to a different day, which I personally think is unlikely given this date was publicly announced by both conferences months ago. Thus, you heard it here first, there are no plans for the A10/MWC challenge to happen next season due to COVID.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

That's not how scheduling work. When teams schedule games, they share open dates and find a date that they have in common. That's why it is my belief that the A10/MWC is not happening. It's either that, or they moved the Boise game to a different day, which I personally think is unlikely given this date was publicly announced by both conferences months ago. Thus, you heard it here first, there are no plans for the A10/MWC challenge to happen next season due to COVID.
That wouldn't surprise me. It also wouldn't surprise me if the NCAA decided to make as many OOC games local as possible this coming season.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ok. So URI accepted the PC Game in Friday night because the A10/MWC Challenge is off.

So why not announce it’s off then? why keep it secret?

Better to just call it off so URI can start looking for replacement games. That makes us 3 games short approaching June.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And a week ago some here were wanting the Brown Long time series cancelled

Welcome to Covid 19
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Better to just call it off so URI can start looking for replacement games. That makes us 3 games short approaching June.
I think in the next month or so we are going to find a lot of teams short on their schedules. I think we'll see a lot of teams push home-and-homes against non-geographic foes into future years, as well as other "challenges" like the Gavitt Games, BE/Big 12, ACC/B1G, A10/MWC etc, in addition to miscellaneous neutral court and OOC Tournaments being cancelled.

That's before certain conferences make uniform decisions. The Pac-12 seems to be in a precarious situation due to some of the COVID restrictions out west, which also impacts the MWC (and subsequently could have an impact on this conversation) as 3 MWC teams (San Diego St., Fresno St., and San Jose St.) are located in California. Will either conference participate in first semester games if they have schools unable to participate?

It seems like the mindset of safety is going to mean reducing travel. I think if college basketball is played, the schedules are going to look at lot different than they do on paper today.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Let's buy UCONN to come to Kingston.

:D :D :D
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Not specifically related to URI's schedule but it highlights the difficulty of schools from a league such as the A-10 in trying to get games from the cartel members.

Pitt Backs Down from City Game Pledge, Won’t Play Duquesne in 2020
https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/05 ... e-in-2020/
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Not specifically related to URI's schedule but it highlights the difficulty of schools from league such as the A-10 in trying to get games from the cartel members.

Pitt Backs Down from City Game Pledge, Won’t Play Duquesne in 2020
https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/05 ... e-in-2020/
Just sad RF1. And the game was already scheduled!!!
In town game, no travel required and Pitt cancels it.
Historic rivalry to boot
Duquesne with a solid Head Coach and a good team heading into 2020-2021 season.
Welcome to 20 game conference schedules And P5 teams displaying their selfishness.

College basketball is going to the dogs.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ramster, who knows what's going to happen with this season.....scheduling is up in the air along with everything else.

Might be a lot of wait-and-see going on here.....could be many last minute changes and additions to the schedule....
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

The Pitt move is just chicken shit from a second rate ACC school that doesn’t belong there. Everyone in the freakin world is worried about this virus and they cancel an in city game! BS. If you told me we had college basketball next year but our team can’t leave New England - sign me up! UMass Lowell, Merrimack, Bryant, UNH...whoever.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

As for long distance games, URI at least has charters to their most distant road games.

Those can be made safe. The team likely would have to stay in their hotels while on the road.

All the rest are bus trips.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
I'm guessing the AD's know it would not be a good idea. Nice move A10.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Now this is a better H/H we’ve been looking for
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Wow this is a nice surprise
Clapton is God
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Good get, especially starting at Ryan Center this year.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago
This will be Seton Hall's third visit to the Ryan Center. Played here in the NIT and as part a previous H&H series. Have met five times since 2003 (2003 RC-NIT, 2004 Away, 2005 RC, 2012 Mohegan, 2017 Barclays). URI is 2-3 those games.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

Is this another back to back game? FGCU the day before
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

More good news!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody19/21 wrote: 4 years ago Is this another back to back game? FGCU the day before

Yes. FGSU is Monday In Southwest Florida. Seton Hall Tuesday at Ryan Center. Then PC Friday at Dunk, Boise State Saturday at Ryan.

Home
Drexel
Tuesday 12/1 Seton Hall
Saturday 12/5 Boise State
Brown
Lehigh
Quinnipiac

Away
Monday 11/30 Florida Gulf Coast
Friday 12/4 Providence
Saturday 12/19 Western Kentucky
Harvard

Neutral
Marquette at Mohegan Sun
Central Florida or Minnesota at Mohegan Sun
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Everyone still want to sign up for the two or three road games with no return game to Virginia Tech? Good job by the staff getting this one although I would rather have the home game in 2021-22 when we will have the better team with the four transfers and no worries of the virus. It would have been a real nice slate with PC and Seton Hall st home in 2021-22, but still very good job on this one
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

The schedule actually has panned out much better than I thought and if they ever got the miracle and transfers were eligible this year having Boise State, Seton Hall, PC, Marquette, Minnesota/UCF, Harvard and Western Kentucky is strong enough for an at large bid. Boise State is being projected just outside the Top 25
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Everyone still want to sign up for the two or three road games with no return game to Virginia Tech? Good job by the staff getting this one although I would rather have the home game in 2021-22 when we will have the better team with the four transfers and no worries of the virus. It would have been a real nice slate with PC and Seton Hall st home in 2021-22, but still very good job on this one
Yes. We need to be willing to play anyone good, anywhere, anytime, under any contract agreements.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Everyone still want to sign up for the two or three road games with no return game to Virginia Tech?
I would still have taken that offer. It was a 2 for 1 if I recall correctly, 2 at VT 1 at RI.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That helps , nice get.
GO RAMS
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

That’s a great get for the schedule. Home when roster is weaker and road when loaded
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

As someone with a sports performance background... Coming back from Covid there will be likely be large uptick in injuries (see most recently German soccer, or stats from injuries post any professional sport lockout). Scheduling 2 back to back games in 1 week is a terrible idea, especially if we only have 7-8 eligible players. Good luck to their professionals.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody19/21 wrote: 4 years ago As someone with a sports performance background... Coming back from Covid there will be likely be large uptick in injuries (see most recently German soccer, or stats from injuries post any professional sport lockout). Scheduling 2 back to back games in 1 week is a terrible idea, especially if we only have 7-8 eligible players. Good luck to their professionals.
I'm guessing if they coulda gapped it better, they would have?
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody19/21 wrote: 4 years ago As someone with a sports performance background... Coming back from Covid there will be likely be large uptick in injuries (see most recently German soccer, or stats from injuries post any professional sport lockout). Scheduling 2 back to back games in 1 week is a terrible idea, especially if we only have 7-8 eligible players. Good luck to their professionals.
Yes of course I’m sure it was either no game or back to back. What I’m saying is I don’t think the Risk is worth the reward. The athletes health should come first and foremost, and this isn’t a team with any depth.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody19/21 wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Yes of course I’m sure it was either no game or back to back. What I’m saying is I don’t think the Risk is worth the reward. The athletes health should come first and foremost, and this isn’t a team with any depth.
So...you'd have declined the game?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Let’s see how this post ages.

If those waivers don’t pass, we will pick up two eligible bodies that can play immediately.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Just like I think the it's likely the MWC/A10 challenge is cancelled this year due to COVID, I think it's likely FGCU game has been pushed into the following season. Teams wanting to reduce travel (for health and expense purposes) is going to be prevalent if there is a season, likely a key component why URI and Seton Hall were able to agree to a home and home. I just cannot fathom that URI is intentionally scheduling back-to-backs, not for games located in the same state (PC and Boise), not for games located in difference states (FGCU and Seton Hall), and certainly not in the same freakin week so they are playing 4 games in 6 days.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

They obviously are going to move dates. 4 games in a week?? Come on.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Just like I think the it's likely the MWC/A10 challenge is cancelled this year due to COVID, I think it's likely FGCU game has been pushed into the following season. Teams wanting to reduce travel (for health and expense purposes) is going to be prevalent if there is a season, likely a key component why URI and Seton Hall were able to agree to a home and home. I just cannot fathom that URI is intentionally scheduling back-to-backs, not for games located in the same state (PC and Boise), not for games located in difference states (FGCU and Seton Hall), and certainly not in the same freakin week so they are playing 4 games in 6 days.
I figure that’s what’s going to happen too. But just figured I’d voice my opinion on how it is now
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Teams are gonna want to schedule games within driving distance. Very smart for URI and SH to jump on this trend early.

Anything within a 4 hour drive will start to become much more or a trend. Someone get out a map and compass to check the programs within our radius.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Let’s see how this post ages.

If those waivers don’t pass, we will pick up two eligible bodies that can play immediately.
Isn't the problem with that that the timing on thumbs up or down on the waivers comes too late?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Everyone still want to sign up for the two or three road games with no return game to Virginia Tech?
I would still have taken that offer. It was a 2 for 1 if I recall correctly, 2 at VT 1 at RI.
URI wasn’t getting a home game under the scenario that was discussed. At best they get a game at Mohegan for two road games.