Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: Fatts

Unread post by DC_Rams »

nchof wrote: 4 years ago
Dino611 wrote: 4 years ago Decision is coming next week
Fatts announced on his Instagram next Monday he will making his decision... whether that is going pro (nba or Europe), staying at Uri, or transferring to another college he left ever possibility open! He was calling rhody home and stuff but I’m gonna be completely honest it didn’t sound too good in terms of coming back to rhody! Hopefully I am wrong I want to him stay!
There is nothing on his IG.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

He was on IG live about an hour ago. Not sure what was said
nchof
Abdul Fox

Unread post by nchof »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Fatts announced on his Instagram next Monday he will making his decision... whether that is going pro (nba or Europe), staying at Uri, or transferring to another college he left ever possibility open! He was calling rhody home and stuff but I’m gonna be completely honest it didn’t sound too good in terms of coming back to rhody! Hopefully I am wrong I want to him stay!
There is nothing on his IG.
It was on his Instagram live... you need to be on the app when Fatts is to view it. It wasn’t a picture that he posted.
nchof
Abdul Fox

Unread post by nchof »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
Did he actually say he was consider Transferring?
He didn’t say he was transferring but he mentioned how if he returns to college it may or may not be URI... he basically left me thinking that any type of move is still possible with him... whether it’s becoming a pro, coming back to uri, or transferring... To be announced next Monday
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

There is absolutely no way he announces he is transferring before the rule passes or doesn’t pass. The transfer “option” must be there to build suspense and show support for the program that it was a possibility.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would think he would wait until after May 20th, if it involves transferring.

If it is a decision between returning to URI or going pro, he could announce that any time.

I'm getting the feeling he's gone, one way or the other. If he was indeed staying, just say it and get it over with, like JH did.

No need for dragging this out if that's the case.

But since he is, that's not a good sign imo.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

So, maybe or maybe not in Fatts' case, but, we're basically waiting for the NCAA to pass a rule that will make it easier/faster for players to be able to transfer...to get some stability to the roster. Makes sense.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Is Fatts able to graduate this summer and transfer as post grad and be eligible?
Clapton is God
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Fatts is acting like a real leader????
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Fatts is going to do what's best for Fatts, at least in his mind.

Can't say I blame him.

Will say this: If the rule doesn't pass or it's not effective this season, I don't see him transferring. He's not going to want to sit out.

I doubt he'll be eligible as a grad transfer either.

I think it's likely that his decision is between turning pro or staying.

With a very limited roster without the 4 transfers, how good will we be? And would that help Fatts?

Teams will key on him big time, and he could have many more games with poor shooting.

That won't help his pro prospects.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

It is a tough call between going pro and coming back - it’s possible there is no college season (unlikely but possible). It is also possible that any pro league that would pay him will be making less money next season and so he will make less money next season, added to that the dilution of the pro pool by what I think will be more guys trying to go an make a buck while they can, I think his pro prospects are actually better staying a year more. Be the best of the rest.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts is going to do what's best for Fatts, at least in his mind.

Can't say I blame him.

Will say this: If the rule doesn't pass or it's not effective this season, I don't see him transferring. He's not going to want to sit out.

I doubt he'll be eligible as a grad transfer either.

I think it's likely that his decision is between turning pro or staying.

With a very limited roster without the 4 transfers, how good will we be? And would that help Fatts?

Teams will key on him big time, and he could have many more games with poor shooting.

That won't help his pro prospects.
I think you are right that if the transfer rule doesn’t pass he will play somewhere professionally. If the rule passes it would not be the least bit surprisingly to see him transfer unless Fatts feels there is enough talent for an NCAA run.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I don't see the downside to staying. He can only get better. Guys can get injured anytime, whether in the pros or in college or walking down the street and stepping in a pot hole, so I don't place much stock in the whole injury excuse. Another year of basketball at URI would do him a lot of good in my opinion. He's talented, but I feel like he's not quite a well rounded as Terrell was when leaving URI and Terrell wasn't able to make it in the NBA for more than a year or so. Fatts is talented, but in my opinion, he's not NBA type caliber talented...YET.
One can only hope this kid isn't sipping too much Kool-Aid and listening to people tell him b.s. about having great shot at playing decent minutes in the NBA...because in my opinion, that would be a big pile a manure at this particular point in time.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think he might be concerned about how good we're going to be next season, and whether or not that could hurt his chances of playing at the next level.

If the transfers aren't eligible and we have a bad year, and by extrapolation he has a bad or not-so-good year, that could be a difference maker in his decision.

I'm sure he's waiting on May 20th like all of us are.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah best case transfer rule passes Fatts returns and we make a run at the big dance
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I don't intently follow basketball outside of URI, but how many kids leave college go pro overseas and eventually make it to the NBA? I'm thinking few.

Does being on a losing team hurt Daly for his ability to play overseas?

Talent is recognized wherever you are, as long as you have it. I think Fatts has it in droves but needs another year to polish to goods.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago I don't intently follow basketball outside of URI, but how many kids leave college go pro overseas and eventually make it to the NBA? I'm thinking few.

Does being on a losing team hurt Daly for his ability to play overseas?

Talent is recognized wherever you are, as long as you have it. I think Fatts has it in droves but needs another year to polish to goods.
There is zero Fatts can from this year to next other than increase his counting stats because he will (probably) take more shots. It is 2020...we can't keep saying a guy needs his senior year to get better. At best, he is 5% better but that goes along with all of the downside of being exposed without JD and CL (and the obvious injury risk). If he wants to come back because he is loyal to his coach/teammates, he likes the college experience, or he wants one more shot at the dance. The leaps that happen from junior to senior year are almost always a result of role. He has played probably 3000 minutes at URI. I honestly think the downside of playing his senior year is real. I don't think he is a 36% 3pt shooter. But, really, my point is "polish the goods" is, usually, that is just a mask for "I want him to play for my team for one more year". The clock is ticking on his economic value as a basketball player. He is not NBA good but he is certainly good enough to make, say, $3 million bucks over the next ten years in Europe.
raminwarwick
Abdul Fox

Unread post by raminwarwick »

If Fatts makes $150,000 for next year in Europe can anyone say he made a mistake? How many of you started at that figure your first year out of school? His game is more suited for Euro ball. He can always come back after he is done playing ball to finish his degree.
As far as being seen by the NBA. Take a look at the predictions for this years draft and notice how many are from overseas.
I hope he comes back but see little for him to gain by doing so.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Brace yourselves people, he’s likely gone. Would be happy if I was wrong.

We will be okay.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Brace yourselves people, he’s likely gone.

We will be okay.
Any idea where
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago

We will be okay.
Any idea where
No, just not here.

Again, this is based off speculation and hearsay. I’ve prepared myself to go through the 5 stages of grief with the board.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

raminwarwick wrote: 4 years ago If Fatts makes $150,000 for next year in Europe can anyone say he made a mistake? How many of you started at that figure your first year out of school? His game is more suited for Euro ball. He can always come back after he is done playing ball to finish his degree.
As far as being seen by the NBA. Take a look at the predictions for this years draft and notice how many are from overseas.
This might be the sad reality and I wouldn't blame him for a minute, I can't imagine any of us would. If I'm a college junior/senior and I'm offered 150K to play basketball in say Spain then adios amigos e amigas!

If he goes to another school and risks injury etc. before getting paid, I might feel differently about his departure.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Brace yourselves people, he’s likely gone. Would be happy if I was wrong.

We will be okay.
I’m prepping myself for Fatts not returning- but how will we be okay without him? Is there a fallback plan besides what we know is coming in????
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

We will be okay.
Any idea where
No, just not here.

Again, this is based off speculation and hearsay. I’ve prepared myself to go through the 5 stages of grief with the board.

If Fatts leaving means we have a shot at Jalen Carey I'll take it. With or without Fatts we aren't winning anything next year so let's focus on the future. I'm loving the team Cox has built.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Any idea where
No, just not here.

If Fatts leaving means we have a shot at Jalen Carey I'll take it. With or without Fatts we aren't winning anything next year so let's focus on the future. I'm loving the team Cox has built.

We mat not be winning anything with Fatts next year, but he would be considered " box office" to an extent in my opinion, someone everyone could look forward to going to watch, a borderline AA player, who could go off for 35 on any given night.

Without him, who on the team brings the casual fan out to watch? (If we even can go watch.)
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Brace yourselves people, he’s likely gone. Would be happy if I was wrong.

We will be okay.
I’m prepping myself for Fatts not returning- but how will we be okay without him? Is there a fallback plan besides what we know is coming in????
Long term, we will be okay. Next season will be a wash if the transfer rule doesn’t bail us out.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Who they gonna put on ticket promo materials?????
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Is Fatts were to leave, does that push anyone else out as well?

I mean, if you were someone like Harris, would you really want to waste a year on a team that would have 6 scholarship players, 2 of whom are freshman and 1 who has been said should never see the floor?

Just thinking out loud, don't know the answer to that question.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Who they gonna put on ticket promo materials?????
I think you meant to say "Who they gonna put on the floor?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, no Fatts next year gives the team such a depressing outlook for the season.
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Is Fatts were to leave, does that push anyone else out as well?

I mean, if you were someone like Harris, would you really want to waste a year on a team that would have 6 scholarship players, 2 of whom are freshman and 1 who has been said should never see the floor?

Just thinking out loud, don't know the answer to that question.
No, at that point, the guys that are gonna stay are going to stay. It’s not predicated on Fatts.

We have a huge opening for an immediate guard transfer if he goes. More transfers around the league are coming. A second wave, if you will.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago
raminwarwick wrote: 4 years ago If Fatts makes $150,000 for next year in Europe can anyone say he made a mistake? How many of you started at that figure your first year out of school? His game is more suited for Euro ball. He can always come back after he is done playing ball to finish his degree.
This might be the sad reality and I wouldn't blame him for a minute, I can't imagine any of us would. If I'm a college junior/senior and I'm offered 150K to play basketball in say Spain then adios amigos e amigas!

If he goes to another school and risks injury etc. before getting paid, I might feel differently about his departure.
I have always said I will not bash a guy for turning pro - many people out there work their whole lives and never get $150k per year. I do feel for the players that have to make the decision this year. Any other year and Fatts knows he has a Euro gig at good money waiting. This year, who knows? If he gets a deal will he get paid if the leagues have no fans in the arena? So many questions that no one know the answer to so it is impossible to make a goood decision.

If he transfers, he is dead to me. We basically spent the last two seasons letting Fatts figure out how to be an effective basketball player at 5’9”, I think he found that and is going to be awesome next year.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We will be okay.
We won't be ok without him, but we have to keep saying it to distract us from what a disaster the Cox hiring has been for our program
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago We basically spent the last two seasons letting Fatts figure out how to be an effective basketball player at 5’9”, I think he found that and is going to be awesome next year.
Good post and I agree with everything you said accept for this. I know he had his share of struggles where we all wondered why he wasn't on the bench but wasn't Fatts the best player on the floor for us most nights? I think we need to give him a bit more credit.
Keeping things in perspective...
Hurley (12-18):
Y1 8-21 (T14th), Y2 14-18 (10th), Y3 23-10 (T2nd, NIT), Y4 17-15 (7th), Y5 25-10 (T3rd, NCAA), Y6 26-8 (1st, NCAA).
Miller (22-?):
Y1 9-22 (14th), Y2 12-20 (T10th).
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago

We will be okay.
We won't be ok without him, but we have to keep saying it to distract us from what a disaster the Cox hiring has been for our program
It worries me that Cox has lost all our key guys but what he's done to replace them has been amazing. I love the team he's built. Next year will suck with or without Fatts. I'm ready to watch our freshman develop and have a loaded roster the following year. I expect Cox to land a stud with Fatts scholarship.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

He was a POY contender last year. He would be a POY favorite this year.

Finding teammates in a position to score when the shot he has is too impossible to make would probably push this team deep into the tournament and really give him staying power in the NBA.

His best physical attribute is how fast he is.

He must be the first player we have had that everyone speculated was gone all four years of his career.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

It worries me that Cox has lost all our key guys but what he's done to replace them has been amazing. I love the team he's built. Next year will suck with or without Fatts. I'm ready to watch our freshman develop and have a loaded roster the following year. I expect Cox to land a stud with Fatts scholarship.
Don’t feed the troll.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Don’t feed the troll.
I've been here long before you got here (Cox was hired as an assistant) and I'll be here long after you've gone (Cox is fired)
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

How do you figure Cox will land a stud????? We have one and he’s most likely out the door. Martin left, Toppin left.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

we won't be ok without him, but we have to keep saying it to distract us from what a disaster the Cox hiring has been for our program

We will obviously be worse without Fatts and we will not be as much fun to watch. But
this is college basketball and eventually every player leaves. The longest shelf life
a player has is 4 years. They graduate and Everything is reset and inevitably
you move on to the next set of players. It is the way of things. Always has been
always will be.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

We will be okay.
I’m with you on this one. I have been saying since the end of the season that I doubt Fatts returns. The one way that he might stay is if the transfer rule passes. It would than come down to whether he has confidence in this URI team as constructed. He seems to be friendly with Betrand so maybe with him and the newcomers he hangs around. The big factor will be his interest in playing at a power 5 and how hard these teams have or will recruit him to come join them as a difference maker for a deep tournament run.

I like Fatts a ton as he has had a very good career at URI, but also feel we will be fine without him. If the transfer rule passes and Fatts leaves for another school/or to play professionally I think next year will be a talented team that may take until 2021-22 to be an NCAA caliber team. The offense will be more reliant on several players both inside and out rather than waiting for Fatts to bail us out.

If the transfer rule doesn’t pass and and Fatts leaves to play professionally it will obviously be a down year for URI where the focus will be to get Leggett and Berry quality minutes and further develop Harris for the 2021-22 season. I’ve been expecting Fatts to leave all along so it isn’t as crushing to me when he announces his departure. If for some reason he stays it will be a huge added bonus.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Who they gonna put on ticket promo materials?????
.......in no particular order; Frank Keaney, Rhody, EZ Buckets......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

How do you figure Cox will land a stud????? We have one and he’s most likely out the door. Martin left, Toppin left.
I guess you don't like the guys coming in. I do. Unlike you, I view the Mitchell twins, Betrand, Martin, Ish, and Berry as studs. I genuinely believe that they will all make a significant impact. The one recruit I wasn't high on left.

I expect him to land Jalen Carey or Anthony Nelson after this. That's why I think he'll land a stud. Say what you want about Cox, but the guy recruits at a high level.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Stevey, define “stud” to me.

Recently, I consider EC, Jared, Hassan, Fatts, Jeff, to be studs with Kuran, Stan and Cyril right behind them.

You put the twins, Malik, Betrand, and two 3* FRESHMAN as studs comparable with all those players I named?

I can’t consider any on of those players even close to studs at this given time.

Valuable pieces who will make an immediate impact yes sure, but not a stud.
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Stevey, define “stud” to me.

Recently, I consider EC, Jared, Hassan, Fatts, Jeff, to be studs with Kuran, Stan and Cyril right behind them.

You put the twins, Malik, Betrand, and two 3* FRESHMAN as studs comparable with all those players I named?

I can’t consider any on of those players even close to studs at this given time.

I'm exaggerating, saying they are all studs. They have to prove it first. On paper, this team could be special.

I will tell you this. Jalen Carey is a stud in my eyes, and that's who I think/hope we will land.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Studs are standouts and difference makers, time will tell if any of our freshman or transfers will get to that level.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I'm exaggerating, saying they are all studs. They have to prove it first. On paper, this team could be special.

I will tell you this. Jalen Carey is a stud in my eyes, and that's who I think/hope we will land.
If looking down on paper and seeing 12 questions marks = special then YES this is potentially very special.
I don't know how you can be overly positive or negative about the situation bc its way too early to tell. Did we just do a complete roster overhaul or did we replace talented guys with less talented guys...who knows at this point.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Carey will have to sit out. We lose Fatts we have to find an immediate fill.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Well then nevermind. I was hoping we would still go after him because he's so talented.

You all can form your own opinions of this team. I love the player's Cox has brought in, so I'm going to remain positive.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

rhodylocal wrote: 4 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago We basically spent the last two seasons letting Fatts figure out how to be an effective basketball player at 5’9”, I think he found that and is going to be awesome next year.
Good post and I agree with everything you said accept for this. I know he had his share of struggles where we all wondered why he wasn't on the bench but wasn't Fatts the best player on the floor for us most nights? I think we need to give him a bit more credit.
I didn’t mean for that to be a dig at all - I think he has developed into a really good player here and was clearly the best player on the floor most nights. In fact I think his progression should be a selling point to recruits who see that he has developed and been given the space to develop under Cox.

He is going to have a phenomenal senior season. If it isn’t at Rhody, he is dead to me. If it’s at Rhody we win 20 plus games and make a run at the tourney. People call me delusional for thinking that but I assume at least one more grad transfer is on the way, so we will have a roster with 6 guys over the age of 21 (5 of whom are going to be good to really good - DJ is unknown still) and 2 young potential stars. That is a roster that will compete in the A10.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Well then nevermind. I was hoping we would still go after him because he's so talented.

You all can form your own opinions of this team. I love the player's Cox has brought in, so I'm going to remain positive.
We agree there.