Kenny Green request

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Kenny Green request

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Forgive me mods, I couldn't find a proper place for this.

Just had a chat with Kenny Green, haven't talked to him in 7 years.

He's getting into coaching and I believe is the coach at a high school in CT?

He is pushing hard to get into college coaching and asked if I would keep my ears open for him. Well YOU guys know the coaching world, I don't, so if anyone hears of a job Kenny might be a good fit for, please let him know.

Wouldn't he be a good Big Man coach for URI? Just sayin
Last edited by RhodeIslandRams 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Re: Kenney Green request

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Perfect coach for the bigs at URI.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Hoopdirt.com
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Thanks Bos8
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago Perfect coach for the bigs at URI.
Can't fill a position that doesn't exist can you?
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Bump

we need one of these, you know a coach that develops post players...
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

We know he could play the position. It doesn’t mean he can teach it. Still I hope he gets a shot somewhere.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago We know he could play the position. It doesn’t mean he can teach it. Still I hope he gets a shot somewhere.
Well we know none of our existing coaches can coach them that's for sure. I talked to Kenny at length last year at one of the games. He has an understanding of how to coach kids. He was talking about how the kids need time for the game to slow down for them, how to handle each kids emotions and give them confidence. That sounded like a coach to me. I am sure teaching the physical part of the game will be the easy part.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Can Kenny physically get out on the floor and teach? Those knees (sadly), were horrible 30+ years ago.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I've never met Kenny Green - I'm sure he's a good guy, judging from past posts and threads on here about him. However, expecting that if we hire Coach X, and suddenly your players are going to be good low post players, kind of ignores how basketball is now played.

Like, the days when you'd throw it into the post and expect to get a bucket are gone - zone defenses have gotten better to swarm big men, individual defenders are faster and longer, etc. It's not a coincidence that Georgetown had a seven-footer put up a line of 15.5/9.8 this year, and they went 15-17. You're going to get teams that have some success with it still, like teams that still manage to post winning seasons while relying on midrange jumpers, but I think it's foolish for teams to attempt emulating them. (Maybe I can call this The Gonzaga Problem - I feel like every year, they have some seven-foot dude that posts gaudy numbers and they win games, but it doesn't matter once they hit the NCAA tournament.) Heck, you can even see it in Texas high school basketball - Before the season shutdown, I was watching teams with traditional centers that they couldn't play, because they couldn't switch quick enough on a pick and roll.

If anything, I'd argue we should go the other direction - One big guy who can rebound, block shots, set picks and rim run. The other four guys shoot 3s. Find the best possible offensive efficiency and shooting coaches you can, and steer hard into the "Running Rams" image of the past, with an emphasis on pace and 3-point shooting.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago I've never met Kenny Green - I'm sure he's a good guy, judging from past posts and threads on here about him. However, expecting that if we hire Coach X, and suddenly your players are going to be good low post players, kind of ignores how basketball is now played.

Like, the days when you'd throw it into the post and expect to get a bucket are gone - zone defenses have gotten better to swarm big men, individual defenders are faster and longer, etc. It's not a coincidence that Georgetown had a seven-footer put up a line of 15.5/9.8 this year, and they went 15-17. You're going to get teams that have some success with it still, like teams that still manage to post winning seasons while relying on midrange jumpers, but I think it's foolish for teams to attempt emulating them. (Maybe I can call this The Gonzaga Problem - I feel like every year, they have some seven-foot dude that posts gaudy numbers and they win games, but it doesn't matter once they hit the NCAA tournament.) Heck, you can even see it in Texas high school basketball - Before the season shutdown, I was watching teams with traditional centers that they couldn't play, because they couldn't switch quick enough on a pick and roll.

If anything, I'd argue we should go the other direction - One big guy who can rebound, block shots, set picks and rim run. The other four guys shoot 3s. Find the best possible offensive efficiency and shooting coaches you can, and steer hard into the "Running Rams" image of the past, with an emphasis on pace and 3-point shooting.
Sweet 16 or better for Gonzaga for the last 5 years.

Those big men must be doing something well for them!
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago I've never met Kenny Green - I'm sure he's a good guy, judging from past posts and threads on here about him. However, expecting that if we hire Coach X, and suddenly your players are going to be good low post players, kind of ignores how basketball is now played.

Sweet 16 or better for Gonzaga for the last 5 years.

Those big men must be doing something well for them!
Ha, touche! I suppose that image of Gonzaga disappointing yearly with my NCAA bracket is still in my head... However, I would note that their current coaching staff doesn't really have a "big man" coach either.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

It is clear that a big man coach will help - look at the difference when ARD was here to before and after. That tells you what you need to know. That is a different question than if KG is the guy.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Matt Keebler »

This whole thread is absurd. He has zero experience and we aren’t hiring. (For the record, I love Kenny and some of my earliest memories of Rhody hoops are watching him and the 88 team!)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Why did so many rate Cox an A or B for the 2019-2020 Season and yet his ability to hire adequate Assistant Coaches continues to get criticized.

Is his staff really as bad as so many think it is? Cox hired every last one of them and rehires the staff every year to a 1 - year contract.

I tend to like his hiring choices.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Matt Keebler wrote: 4 years ago This whole thread is absurd. He has zero experience and we aren’t hiring. (For the record, I love Kenny and some of my earliest memories of Rhody hoops are watching him and the 88 team!)
He has zero experience?
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

It's "Kenny" Green. I believe one of Bryant's assistants (Brock Erickson) just left to become an assistant at the University of Illinois-Chicago.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

I blew off the spelling but thought for sure that he coached overseas for a number of years.
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago
Matt Keebler wrote: 4 years ago This whole thread is absurd. He has zero experience and we aren’t hiring. (For the record, I love Kenny and some of my earliest memories of Rhody hoops are watching him and the 88 team!)
He has zero experience?
As of June 2019 he had no coaching experience, forgive me if something changed in the last 10 months but I’m pretty sure it hasn’t. And don’t get me wrong, I love the guy, I just don’t see how this hire would make any sense.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Matt Keebler wrote: 4 years ago
He has zero experience?
As of June 2019 he had no coaching experience, forgive me if something changed in the last 10 months but I’m pretty sure it hasn’t. And don’t get me wrong, I love the guy, I just don’t see how this hire would make any sense.
Matt, I don’t know you, but thank you. I too, love Kenny. Have chatted with him before and after many games. But he would be a terrible hire.
Last edited by DC_Rams 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: Kenny Green request

to be clear Kenny Green didn't suggest anything about URI, at least per the original post by RIR, that was all us.

He only said he desires to get into college coaching and is doing what anyone would do by getting that word out.
Go Rhody!!!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

He has zero experience?
I just viewed an old youtube video interviewing Kenny back in 2012 ,as of then he had worked as an assistant coach in Europe before becoming a head coach in Qatar. I do not know what his experience was from that point forward.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Our beloved TJ only had a few years of HS coaching when he was hired. Start Kenny in the same way they did TJ. Asst of basketball operations.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Would he be willing to volunteer? Or maybe be a graduate assistant? Around 1980 Jack Kraft had a grad assistant named Fran Fraschilla.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago Would he be willing to volunteer? Or maybe be a graduate assistant? Around 1980 Jack Kraft had a grad assistant named Fran Fraschilla.
Can you have people work with the players like that? Maybe only at practices and they work like consultants? Does anyone know the particulars about such things vis a vis NCAA rules et cetera?
Go Rhody!!!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'm happy the Kenny is back in the USA.
NCAAs or Bust!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
He has zero experience?
Matt, I don’t know you, but thank you. I too, love Kenny. Have chatted with him before and after many games. But he would be a terrible hire.
What makes you say he would be a terrible hire? The only thing we know about him as far as coaching is concerned is a lack of experience. We know little else to say if it would be great, terrible, or somewhere in between. Is your position that hiring anyone with so little experience is terrible?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......can he teach big men?......any track record in that area of player development that people and stats can point to?......just asking.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

What makes you say he would be a terrible hire? The only thing we know about him as far as coaching is concerned is a lack of experience. We know little else to say if it would be great, terrible, or somewhere in between. Is your position that hiring anyone with so little experience is terrible?
Terrible in that we don’t know if he can develop players, coach, scout, build/maintain relationships, etc...

No thanks.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Too Funny

who on on current staff is "building / maintaining relationships" now? As 13 players walk out he door in the last two years. That might be the funniest thing I have heard since this outbreak has happened.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago Too Funny

who on on current staff is "building / maintaining relationships" now? As 13 players walk out he door in the last two years. That might be the funniest thing I have heard since this outbreak has happened.
I would say it's comical but it's funny and painful at the same time.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Careful DC, the real KG is beloved by many around here, Can maybe we agree it would be a risky hire instead of terrible? also I'll point out again it's members of the board that are speculating about URI, Kenny G is just trying to get the word out that he would like a shot at coaching somewhere in the cbb world.
Go Rhody!!!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago Too Funny

That’s all you got from my post huh? Smh
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Careful DC, the real KG is beloved by many around here, Can maybe we agree it would be a risky hire instead of terrible? also I'll point out again it's members of the board that are speculating about URI, Kenny G is just trying to get the word out that he would like a shot at coaching somewhere in the cbb world.
I’ve sat next to the guy at games. I love him. I’m sorry, you’re right though, it would be extremely risky.
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

Keeping things in perspective...
Hurley (12-18):
Y1 8-21 (T14th), Y2 14-18 (10th), Y3 23-10 (T2nd, NIT), Y4 17-15 (7th), Y5 25-10 (T3rd, NCAA), Y6 26-8 (1st, NCAA).
Miller (22-?):
Y1 9-22 (14th), Y2 12-20 (T10th).
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

Keeping things in perspective...
Hurley (12-18):
Y1 8-21 (T14th), Y2 14-18 (10th), Y3 23-10 (T2nd, NIT), Y4 17-15 (7th), Y5 25-10 (T3rd, NCAA), Y6 26-8 (1st, NCAA).
Miller (22-?):
Y1 9-22 (14th), Y2 12-20 (T10th).
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

I’ll adjust my previous statement, no collegiate experience. He’s a nice guy, but this would be a bad hire. Should we be looking at Luther Clay or Michael Anderson because they were also successful post players here? No, if we were hiring a coach, which we are not, we should look for the best experienced candidate. And it isn’t fair to compare him to TJ, TJ was a recent graduate who was hired to a lower level, low salary position and has done a fantastic job working his way up. Kenny has been out of school for 30 years, you can’t possibly compare the two.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

I'm a little perplexed that while we do not even have an opening people would want to run down the qualifications of Kenny Green to be a college basketball coach. Bless your hearts.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Matt Keebler wrote: 4 years ago I’ll adjust my previous statement, no collegiate experience. He’s a nice guy, but this would be a bad hire. Should we be looking at Luther Clay or Michael Anderson because they were also successful post players here? No, if we were hiring a coach, which we are not, we should look for the best experienced candidate. And it isn’t fair to compare him to TJ, TJ was a recent graduate who was hired to a lower level, low salary position and has done a fantastic job working his way up. Kenny has been out of school for 30 years, you can’t possibly compare the two.
Actually, Mike would be an interesting case. He could barely walk and chew gum at the same time as a freshman. By his senior year, he had become a competent center. He was having his way with Ruben (The Thug) Garces until Garces sucker-punched him that night at the Dunkin Dump. What did he learn, what drills did he do, what techniques were shown him that he could pass on to someone else?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I guess I'll just do this daily until it sinks in deep...

Green suggested he is looking to get into coaching at the cbb level and asked someone he thought might have knowledge or ideas for him to think about it. Any talk of him being hired at URI at this time is all about us fans. No one thinks it would be wise to place a novice in the spot next to the head coach, but some here think KG has potential and want to see him realize that potential somewhere. FULL STOP.
Go Rhody!!!
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

This thread is actually repulsive. You are taking arguably one of the 10 greatest players that have put on our uniform and minimizing him over a random conservation he had with one poster. If he was seriously seeking out a coaching position he has many resources which he could utilize in the way of former coaches (Tom Penders and Al Skinner are still well connected), teammates and competitors. He doesn't need people on this board, myself included to cast judgement on him. He was a warrior on the court; also a gifted shot blocker, rebounder and could score at will. He also did it most of the time on one leg. I'd say he knows the game pretty well. Let's leave it at that. While this is a fan forum where opinions are shared, no one that has the right disparage anyone personally, especially someone that contributed so greatly to our program.
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Update:

Guys I only asked where I could send Kenny to look if we knew anything. It was NOT meant to suggest URI hire him.
Geez corona getting to some of you?

Ok, how about this: would someone be kind enough to post a link to vids of Kenny playing?

Syracuse or anything at all. Gilvydas Biruta has never seen Kenny play.
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

Repulsive? I said he has no experience, which is true. I loved him as a player here, I was only saying that as an assistant coach hire he probably wasn’t the best choice.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Here's the deal with this vid, it's origin is a VHS with tracking issues, the first 10 minutes or so of the video is practically unwatchable but Green was the sixth man of course so you don't miss any of his PT.

This team was the best Rhody team in my lifetime bar none.

Rhody had 4 turnovers and 18 assists in a win over Syracuse to get to the sweet sixteen, let that sink in, 4 turnovers. Syracuse had three major NBA talents on that team. Penders only played six players, starters and Green. Every player for Rhody was confident, finished well, shot open shots without hesitation, great positioning and spacing, rebounding. Never mind the stars who were awesome, John Evans would be an all A10 candidate if he was playing currently. It was a really fun team to watch.

Greens stats in this game were: 23 pts 6 rbs, 1 ast, 1 stl, 2 blks and 1 to in 30 minutes, on a bum knee in their second game in as many days. The commentators talk about how Rony Seikaly and Derrick Coleman couldn't stop Green and how Penders took advantage of it.
Go Rhody!!!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The greatest game in the history of the University of Rhode Island.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Can he recruit? If yes, take him; if no, suggest a lower level.
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago Can he recruit? If yes, take him; if no, suggest a lower level.
Can he teach a big to make a layup? If so, sign him up.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That 88 team was so dam good. So many pros in that game. For context for the younger fans, that Rhody team IMO would have beaten this year's Dayton team by double digits. 3 bona fide stars - Owens, Garrick and Green and 3 excellent role players - Colson, Evans, Sina.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Another game from that season.

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We should don those throwback uniforms some time