Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Re: Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Unread post by sevegny7 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago The Mitchell's mom is reading this board, I'm sure. I'm a big fan of the Mitchell's mom. She's sassy.

We need more of that around here.

People were excited when Odom came here. All we saw were a bunch of street games and maybe some had access to some closed session practices. We didn't see him on the court prior to anointing. It's not just interesting times. It's strange times.

We have one poster in particular who managed a trash campaign against Hurley for taking too long just prior to back to back NCAA appearances and got off scott free on this site. That pretty much says it all. Maybe he actually believes he provided the "fire" under Hurley's ass to motivate him to get the job done, else why would he keep doing it? And also, why does quite a few on this site think it's just wonderful that he does?
She definitely is reading ALL OF IT.

Yeah and half of you posters are not helping the cause at all. Quite an embarrassment the way we talk about the team. Antwan walker is not a good player? Kid sat out over an entire year. He has it in him to be very serviceable at the 3 or 4. Just automatically saying he is not a good player is unbelievable. He had plenty of up and down moments. But their is nothing I saw on the court to automatically say he is a bad player come on. How can we turn to the next phase of the program when we got half our fanbase trashing what we have coming in. And just constantly being negative. We have no clue what cox brings in to finish this roster up. Be patient he quickly retooled our roster last time. I have no reason to believe he wont do it again. We constantly shoot ourselves in the foot on this board. How would you feel reading half this shit when you have signed your two sons up for 3 years of ball and read half this shit. Just makes no sense.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago The Mitchell's mom is reading this board, I'm sure. I'm a big fan of the Mitchell's mom. She's sassy.

People were excited when Odom came here. All we saw were a bunch of street games and maybe some had access to some closed session practices. We didn't see him on the court prior to anointing. It's not just interesting times. It's strange times.

We have one poster in particular who managed a trash campaign against Hurley for taking too long just prior to back to back NCAA appearances and got off scott free on this site. That pretty much says it all. Maybe he actually believes he provided the "fire" under Hurley's ass to motivate him to get the job done, else why would he keep doing it? And also, why does quite a few on this site think it's just wonderful that he does?

Yeah and half of you posters are not helping the cause at all. Quite an embarrassment the way we talk about the team. Antwan walker is not a good player? Kid sat out over an entire year. He has it in him to be very serviceable at the 3 or 4. Just automatically saying he is not a good player is unbelievable. He had plenty of up and down moments. But their is nothing I saw on the court to automatically say he is a bad player come on. How can we turn to the next phase of the program when we got half our fanbase trashing what we have coming in. And just constantly being negative. We have no clue what cox brings in to finish this roster up. Be patient he quickly retooled our roster last time. I have no reason to believe he wont do it again. We constantly shoot ourselves in the foot on this board. How would you feel reading half this shit when you have signed your two sons up for 3 years of ball and read half this shit. Just makes no sense.
Bingo!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

I hope she is! I want her to know I’m one of the people who’s very excited to see the Mitchell twins in action next season. I think they’re going to be motivated and hungry with something to prove. That will bode well for us moving forward.

Instead of spending all of our time lamenting the loss of guys like Toppin and Martin, we should be talking about the new guys that are joining the Rhody family. I don’t think Cox is being given enough credit for how quickly he reloaded the roster with quality players. Makhi, Makhel, Malik and Tres. That’s a nice haul for any team. Not to mention Leggett, Wood and (hopefully) Sheppard. There’s plenty to be excited about. Fingers crossed that Fatts and Jermaine return and we have something cooking next season.
steviep123
Sly Williams

NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago

I hope she is! I want her to know I’m one of the people who’s very excited to see the Mitchell twins in action next season. I think they’re going to be motivated and hungry with something to prove. That will bode well for us moving forward.

Instead of spending all of our time lamenting the loss of guys like Toppin and Martin, we should be talking about the new guys that are joining the Rhody family. I don’t think Cox is being given enough credit for how quickly he reloaded the roster with quality players. Makhi, Makhel, Malik and Tres. That’s a nice haul for any team. Not to mention Leggett, Wood and (hopefully) Sheppard. There’s plenty to be excited about. Fingers crossed that Fatts and Jermaine return and we have something cooking next season.
Agreed 100% - Cox does deserve credit for recognizing the talent of the Mitchell Twins and Martin. While it would have been great to watch Toppin grow, that ship has now sailed. He's moved us we should too. We have some good people coming in that want to be in this program. I'm happy to have them and watch them light up the Ryan Center. Is it blind optimism? Maybe, but maybe we need some of that in this time!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago

Yeah, great. ARD must have been practically invisible that year. The most memorable part of that season was having one guard in Preston Murphy and Odom's first game of the season, and his game winning shot in the A-10 finals.
Dude you bring up many valid points to the board but this is not one of them. Admit you made a mistake about ARD and move on.
Of course Lamar and ARD Played together and ARD was far from invisible.

He averaged 13.2 ppg and 6.7 rpg and 2.6 apg playing alongside two High School All American Big Men in Odom and Clay. What a front line.

Antonio Reynolds-Dean was one of the all time great big men at URI. He teamed with Lamar Odom and Luther Clay to form a formidable front line. ARD was a Senior and had his best year as a URI Ram in 1998-99.

URI won that incredible game vs Temple to get the Automatic bid
URI was a 12-seed and played UNC Charlotte at the Bradley Center in the NCAA tournament.

We lost in OT but Antonio Reynolds-Dean had the big bucket to tie the game and send it to OT

87FECD9D-787D-4801-8FCB-A5EC0601E474.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago

Agreed 100% - Cox does deserve credit for recognizing the talent of the Mitchell Twins and Martin. While it would have been great to watch Toppin grow, that ship has now sailed. He's moved us we should too. We have some good people coming in that want to be in this program. I'm happy to have them and watch them light up the Ryan Center. Is it blind optimism? Maybe, but maybe we need some of that in this time!
Exactly there is some disappointment in losing those guys I totally get it. It hurt me and made me just as sad. But nothing we can do to change that. So much negative in the world right now sports and rhody bball is the thing that usually can brighten things up. But let's move on to the next phase of rhody bball. And for once bring positivity back.

Even in the worst case scenario if next year doesnt get the rule passed we have very positive things to be hopeful for the following year. I couldnt be more excited for the group of freshman and transfers. Maybe this is the chance to get the program chemistry back to wear it was and back to the family environment we knew in the EC days.

I can tell you mitchell twins mother couldnt be happier to be at rhody and playing for this program. Why cant we be the same with our program?

Not saying it is a guarantee but would it be out of the realm of possibility in 3 to 4 years from now we point to this offseason being very key to our program. I dont think so. If cox can really foster a great relationship with this next group then the issues of the transfers the past year or so are out the door and maybe behind us.

Right now it's all about the next phase and learning from the mistakes improving as a program and moving on. And could this be that time? I say why not.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I'm sure there are some entire teams from the Baron years where I could barely name a single player on the team. My favorite was Dustin Hellenga, what did he last, two seasons? Maybe not even as long as Tyrese did.
Hellenga was awesome. Dawan Robinson will still go down as one of the best point guards to ever wear a Rhody uniform in my book. If he didn't get injured I thought he had a shot at making the league.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Well you get to see the Hellenga magic again this afternoon on YurView...

2 URI games on today starting 2pm
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

So, we're all in agreement then.

Negativity sucks.

and if everything falls into place: transfers eligible, fatts stays, sheppard eligible, freshmen guards hungry. This is going to be an exciting year you ain't going to want to miss
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I'm sure there are some entire teams from the Baron years where I could barely name a single player on the team. My favorite was Dustin Hellenga, what did he last, two seasons? Maybe not even as long as Tyrese did.
Hellenga was awesome. Dawan Robinson will still go down as one of the best point guards to ever wear a Rhody uniform in my book. If he didn't get injured I thought he had a shot at making the league.
I was there, opening night of the Ryan Center, URI vs USC. Hellenga baseline fade away jumper, blew the roof off the place. What a way to break her in. About the best Jim Baron related event that ever took place.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Antonio Reynolds-Dean and Lamar Odom never played on the same floor together, except in practice.

I do remember that much, Jerry D.
Yeah, great. ARD must have been practically invisible that year. The most memorable part of that season was having one guard in Preston Murphy and Odom's first game of the season, and his game winning shot in the A-10 finals.
Are you sniffing glue? Lamar and ARD were the 2 leading scorers on that 98-99 team, remain friends in real life now (along with Preston) and played 30+ games together. Stop talking.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Stop talking.
No
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago

Are you sniffing glue? Lamar and ARD were the 2 leading scorers on that 98-99 team, remain friends in real life now (along with Preston) and played 30+ games together. Stop talking.
1st he says ARD and Lamar never played together - wrong
2nd he says (after proven wrong), ARD must have been invisible then

ARD - 6.7rpg, Odom - 9.2rpg and Clay - 6.0 rpg formed a formidable front line that 1998-99 season. Plus we had Big 6’8” heavyweight Ed Brown off the bench.

Add to that starter Preston Murphy and Freshman 6’6” starter Tavorris Bell and that was some talent. Bell could jump out of the gym - tremendous talent.
C165EFA7-9910-4B4D-9670-AD924EF90DF5.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Topical?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Getting difficult to find posts in this thread related to the title...
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Topical?
Everything. Tread lightly.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Treading lightly should be the standard, not because mom is watching, but because we are adults speaking about kids.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Narr9999 »

Running Ram you are spot on. it doesn't mean you can't question things or be critical of how someone is playing, but just don't get stupid with the comments and just be respectful
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Here's some Kentucky comparisons of Toppin. Are they being critical? Not sure

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/thre ... on.321557/
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Here's some Kentucky comparisons of Toppin. Are they being critical? Not sure

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/thre ... on.321557/
I think a majority were just joking around more than anything else, some of the posts were quite funny.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

A poor man's Kevin Knox is appropriate
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/roundt ... r-kentucky

These guys seem to be realistic about Toppin. They know he won't contribute right away but has upside.

"It provides depth to the practice rotation. It is incredibly important to have ten good players"

"At the minimum, the ‘Cats are picking up a practice player for the next few seasons. Toppin will be given time to develop in Kentucky’s system with minimum pressure to be an immediate impact guy if the transfer rule is passed. He will not scare off elite prospects for at least a season or two and he has the versatility to make a splash down the line"
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I've always thought that he was going to be really good by his junior year.

Unfortunately, it won't be here.

At Kentucky, he's going to be just another good player.

Here, he would be a star and All-A10.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I've always thought that he was going to be really good by his junior year.

Unfortunately, it won't be here.

At Kentucky, he's going to be just another good player.

Here, he would be a star and All-A10.
I think many of us thought this Bone. Kid has some athletic ability and can jump through the roof. Too bad because I was excited to see him develop. Hopefully UK plays him so he can. If he turns out like we thought, I think UK needs to give us a home game at some point.
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

Don’t know if this has been mentioned in this thread. But Calipari and Obi Toppin have same agent group - Creative Artists Agency.
This is how Jacob ended up at Kentucky
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Is this prognosis what Jacob is gonna be happy with?
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No tampering here......nah

yeah right
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

That may be some of the dots I wanted to connect
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody Blue wrote: 4 years ago Don’t know if this has been mentioned in this thread. But Calipari and Obi Toppin have same agent group - Creative Artists Agency.
This is how Jacob ended up at Kentucky
So....tampering?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The agents are often the connection, between schools, coaches, players, famous alumni, etc. There are only a handful of big ones (caa, william morris, octagon) and they have the lion share of the market so it's quite common that they could be representing multiple parties that intersect. When coaches get poached that is often the connection.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Let's not forget the AAU/shoe-company pimps.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We sound like such babies crying tampering with every transfer that leaves us / we don't get. It happens every year, every season, and will only increase if the rule is passed.

Deal with it.
Last edited by Rhody15 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago We sound like such babies crying tampering with every transfer that leaves us / we don't get. It happens every year, every season, and will only increase if the rule is passed.

Just have to deal with it.
So we are supposed to accept potential tampering and unethical activity just because it happens everywhere? I don't think so. I'll call out corruption when I see it.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago We sound like such babies crying tampering with every transfer that leaves us / we don't get. It happens every year, every season, and will only increase if the rule is passed.

So we are supposed to accept potential tampering and unethical activity just because it happens everywhere? I don't think so. I'll call out corruption when I see it.
I'm sure we're not squeaky clean and my guess is we've tampered / tried bending the rules with players and transfers over our history.
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The problem with trying to prove tampering, is that there are many ways to get around the rules.

People aren't stupid. They will use non school employees to do their dirty work for them.

Case in point.....Tom Moore and Calhoun...….
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

If you have proof, we’ll all listen. You don’t. Even when it happens it’s almost impossible to prove. Complaining repeatedly on a message board isn’t going to change anything.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Here is the problem with that though...you didn't "see" corruption. You are assuming based on the fact that his brother and Calipari both have agents that work at the same company.

Using that same logic, don't we have to assume that Cox tampered in the addition of Malik Martin? To be clear, I'm not saying that there was, but if the only evidence you need to assume tampering is that you can find anything that connects the coach and the player, then you have to assume the same for our own team to I guess?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

CaptainRon wrote: 4 years ago

If you have proof, we’ll all listen. You don’t. Even when it happens it’s almost impossible to prove. Complaining repeatedly on a message board isn’t going to change anything.

No proof, just if you made me say either way, I’d say we at some point, bent the rules.

We also just got a transfer who’s brother was a star for us and whom Cox has known for multiple years. If you’re a neutral party, look at the optics on that, a neutral party would 100% say something went on behind the scenes. You don’t think Charlotte fans are saying we tampered with Malik? Come on now.

Also, we did employ a coach before he was caught on tape accepting money / bribes. So take that for what it’s worth.
Go Rhody
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think the word tampering is misleading both in the pros and in college. To me it implies that something not ordinary is going on and the reality is on both levels everyone is communicating and trying to put things together. Generally no player arrives on a team without both sides having some contact and knowledge.

There is also a lot of $$$ at certain schools for players, which is obvious if you're paying attention.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

The NCAA not allowing people to freely communicate, sanctioning charity games etc.. I do not know why the courts would let this stand.
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Newsflash - you tamper too; so does PC; so does everyone at some level in some way
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Yeah, but Slick Rick has turned it into a Profession
steviep123
Sly Williams

You guys are completely missing my point. My point was counter to "souding like cry babies" - I'm not going to shut up about what I perceive as what isn't exactly ethically about poaching someone from our program. I am going to complain about it. That said, as far as Toppin is concerned, I've moved on and am excited for the people coming in and want to be here
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

"Tampering" occurs in every sport. The difference is in sports like baseball or football, the pool of players is so great that players aren't often close to other players, and even if they are, being able to offer bigger contracts can offset a lot of that. In football there is always talk about certain players wanting to play together, but teams don't always want to pay a receiver $17 million per season or trade several high-draft picks to get them. Hockey is similar to basketball in that there is smaller player pools, and players may know eachother more through development and prep leagues, but even then, they have a similar issue to football where teams don't always want to pay guys, especially with a hard cap.

The NBA is the biggest example where guys know each other from a young age (AAU, McDonalds AA, Jordan Brand, Adidas Nations, Team USA, college, NBA Draft/prep, prep with trainers, marketing companies, and other professional opportunities). That trickles into college where players know so many different people. It's worse in the NBA because with maximum contracts, players can simply choose who they want to play with because they get the same money anywhere, but in college, that can also exist. How many collegiate assistants get paying jobs simply because of their prior role in AAU programs, whether as a player, coach, or adviser? And how many of them get those jobs because they deserve it, versus the promise of "building a pipeline?" Or that AAU programs want to help funnel players to shoe affiliate schools instead of what is best for the players, and that is ultimately supposed to play a role in shoe contracts during professional opportunities? Basketball is so dirty it's not even funny. And I could be wrong, but I definitely believe if a coach targets a transfer and knows he may have guys on his team who know that player well, they try to work those back-channels to check out interest. I think everyone plays a part in that, just some a lot bigger than others.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago You guys are completely missing my point. My point was counter to "souding like cry babies" - I'm not going to shut up about what I perceive as what isn't exactly ethically about poaching someone from our program. I am going to complain about it. That said, as far as Toppin is concerned, I've moved on and am excited for the people coming in and want to be here
Do you think we "poached" Malik Martin to a certain degree?
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago You guys are completely missing my point. My point was counter to "souding like cry babies" - I'm not going to shut up about what I perceive as what isn't exactly ethically about poaching someone from our program. I am going to complain about it. That said, as far as Toppin is concerned, I've moved on and am excited for the people coming in and want to be here
Do you think we "poached" Malik Martin to a certain degree?
I have no idea - but they've been on the transfer list a long time, so I doubt it. I doubt there were any back channels to the Mitchells before they entered the portal. I was saying tampering specific to Toppin (3 days on the portal to sign with KY) and Martin (2 years of phone calls with DH while a member of the URI Rams). I only suggested possible tampering based on the specifics of those two cases and the possibility of it seemed stronger for those two. Notice I didn't say this for Long, Hammond, or Tate.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No proof, just if you made me say either way, I’d say we at some point, bent the rules.

We also just got a transfer who’s brother was a star for us and whom Cox has known for multiple years. If you’re a neutral party, look at the optics on that, a neutral party would 100% say something went on behind the scenes. You don’t think Charlotte fans are saying we tampered with Malik? Come on now.

Also, we did employ a coach before he was caught on tape accepting money / bribes. So take that for what it’s worth.
Can anyone name 3 players where tampering took place and was proven to have taken place on the last 10 years?
I can’t think of even 1 in 10 years and 353 teams
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Can anyone name 3 players where tampering took place and was proven to have taken place on the last 10 years?
I can’t think of even 1 in 10 years and 353 teams
Exactly. What gain is there for any player to EVER corroborate such facts? And without that, how do you prove it?