URI Men's Basketball Program

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: URI Men's Basketball Program

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Could someone who tweets summarize this?
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago My memory isn’t what is used to be but do I recall correctly the strong argument made in support of Cox vs dancing with a devil was keeping the group together?

Perhaps the completely new group next season will be the ticket?

My strong opinion is everything regarding a D1 program is on the coach 100%.
That was the icing on the cake. The primary reason is because Cox is credited as the man behind the curtain that really helped Hurley turn URI around. Hurley himself acknowledged this.
See that’s the thing. Was he really the man behind the curtain? Guy is undoubtedly a fantastic recruiter, but giving him credit for the Hurley era... I don’t know about that.

Here is my other opinion on Cox... I think he was the shoulder everyone cried on when Hurley was in the driver seat. Hurley is a tough dude. That likely made Cox a favorite among players, staff, and admin ultimately propelling him as a favorite to get HC job.

Obviously it’s easy to look back now and second guess the decision to hire him, but we kind of went all in on him because we didn’t want to lose a coveted recruiting class and we were chasing this phantom “momentum” we had. Did we ever look beyond that though? Now that we’ve lost most of that class what are we left with in a head coach?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago My memory isn’t what is used to be but do I recall correctly the strong argument made in support of Cox vs dancing with a devil was keeping the group together?

That was the icing on the cake. The primary reason is because Cox is credited as the man behind the curtain that really helped Hurley turn URI around. Hurley himself acknowledged this.
Uh no. I don’t even remember anyone suggesting that but it sounds like insane spin in any event. Cox was a vital part of Hurley’s staff - certainly good enough to have earned this shot. But his impact in terms of record before and after was 87% timing and 13% impact.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

BlackDogRants wrote: 4 years ago

See that’s the thing. Was he really the man behind the curtain? Guy is undoubtedly a fantastic recruiter, but giving him credit for the Hurley era... I don’t know about that.

Here is my other opinion on Cox... I think he was the shoulder everyone cried on when Hurley was in the driver seat. Hurley is a tough dude. That likely made Cox a favorite among players, staff, and admin ultimately propelling him as a favorite to get HC job.

Obviously it’s easy to look back now and second guess the decision to hire him, but we kind of went all in on him because we didn’t want to lose a coveted recruiting class and we were chasing this phantom “momentum” we had. Did we ever look beyond that though? Now that we’ve lost most of that class what are we left with in a head coach?
Are you saying Hurley was lying? That Cox wasn't valuable so Hurley wasted time getting a buy out clause in Cox's contract while the AC? That Hurley was being disingenuous when he said he saved a spot on his staff at UConn if URI didn't hire Cox as the HC?

Hurley believes in Cox and BlackDogRants doesn't. That is completely fine but I'm siding with Dan's judgment on this one.

I guess this is for TP as well.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Actually no. Like I said, Cox’s service to Hurley completely earned him this shot. Dan believed it and I believed it. That’s a far cry from “man behind the curtain,” which implies that he was the key to the whole thing. Cox benefitted from his relationship with Dan far more than Dan did - it made him a head coach and a rich man - but that isn’t to say at all that Dan didn’t benefit from the relationship as well.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

BlackDogRants wrote: 4 years ago

Great take. The one thing I can’t figure out is that Cox did such a great job in recruiting which is built on relationships. Why isn’t that carrying over to his head coaching position in terms of relationships and trust? He deserved to get the job at URI when he was hired and now has to find a way to keep this from crumbling apart. Enough excuses and adjust to the times. Maybe it is the AD or Presidents fault. He needs to voice his concerns with the program to them. It is kind of tough when you are making this much money to tell your boss that you aren’t happy with things, but it will come back to haunt him in a few years if he doesn’t
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I like Disano's take. It's Management 101. If the same problem continuously occurs, the organization needs to conduct a comprehensive review, analyze the cause(s), then develop a strategy to prevent a recurrence. I certainly expect this to be going.on right now. I just hope they come up with a solution ... FAST.
Chris DiSano
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Chris DiSano »

Hi everyone -

Appreciate you reading the Martins interview... more stuff coming soon from Yurview/Cox as we're all in full quarantine here.

Let me clarify my tweet posted above. There's nothing veiled about it; I meant it matter of fact. There are two sides of spectrum emerging on this recent run of transfers reality at URI: the NCAA rules changes as being the major contributing factor to kids leaving versus program management, operations, relationship building of which David Cox is a part (but it extends beyond him).

Fact is, you can evaluate each one of these transfers on a case-by-case basis and there will always be a specific explanation. But when you look at them in the aggregate over this time period it sticks and lends itself to more discussion. That's not surprising and it's fair to question. I drew the business "team member" parallel that if that happened to a unit I was leading then I'd use it as an opportunity to pull a greater team of people together and assess everything (from external stuff to our own approach) in determining why we seem particularly susceptible to this and how to pivot and respond.

That's aligns with the Nick Coit piece that just dropped... and what should be happening after a few volatile weeks like these.

Hope this helps clarify the meaning of my tweet. 280 characters isn't always enough. But if you do want to follow-up, find me on Twitter anytime.

Thanks,
Chris
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Head coaches are the bad guys and assistant coaches are suppose to be the good guys with the players. This is what makes it difficult to move up one seat to the head coaching job. Your relationship with players needs to change drastically. Some assistants are able to make the transition, many cannot.
NCAAs or Bust!
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Chris DiSano wrote: 4 years ago Hi everyone -

Appreciate you reading the Martins interview... more stuff coming soon from Yurview/Cox as we're all in full quarantine here.

Let me clarify my tweet posted above. There's nothing veiled about it; I meant it matter of fact. There are two sides of spectrum emerging on this recent run of transfers reality at URI: the NCAA rules changes as being the major contributing factor to kids leaving versus program management, operations, relationship building of which David Cox is a part (but it extends beyond him).

Fact is, you can evaluate each one of these transfers on a case-by-case basis and there will always be a specific explanation. But when you look at them in the aggregate over this time period it sticks and lends itself to more discussion. That's not surprising and it's fair to question. I drew the business "team member" parallel that if that happened to a unit I was leading then I'd use it as an opportunity to pull a greater team of people together and assess everything (from external stuff to our own approach) in determining why we seem particularly susceptible to this and how to pivot and respond.

That's aligns with the Nick Coit piece that just dropped... and what should be happening after a few volatile weeks like these.

Hope this helps clarify the meaning of my tweet. 280 characters isn't always enough. But if you do want to follow-up, find me on Twitter anytime.

Thanks,
Chris
Keep up the great work Chris! Can't wait to hear what Cox has to say.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Thanks for all your great coverage of our team and conference, Chris. Let's hope we fans can actually go to games this fall!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

72 and PeteRI make great points, and Chris sums it up as well.....they need to address the problems here and figure it out, FAST.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Kinda looks like that McKillop pure motion offense is a sweet deal huh?

Curious what exactly are the Bronx Rams are spending that money on?
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Pretty good summary of the situation.

Again, the excuse of the kids not being around due to the virus, is still weak. It's the same for everybody. Everybody has a phone and a computer.

Nice to see that Thorr realizes that the lack of program enhancements could be a reason for kids leaving. DUH! Now DO something about it!

Cox sure knows it's a problem.

But, some of this is still on Cox. He really has to work on relationships with his players beyond just recruiting them.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I like Thorr a lot, however his comments in that piece seem, to me, more reflective of the past actions and not so much as looking forward as I would like to have him speak to......I know, he can only do so much.......great, we have improved and climbed up to midland of A-10......now what?......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

How the heck does Fordham pull in more revenue than we do?!?!?!
8th in budget
8th in revenue
Yet we expect to be a top tier program.
Davidson must love McKillop. Guy has an insane return on investment for them. Now I hate their program even more.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I like that article. This is Cox's program more and more every day that passes. I expect him to do well. Part of what helped DH was that he had a great team, but that the league also wasn't that good during the time he had a great team. Timing is everything.

So this year if everyone is eligible and Dayton obviously comes back down, Cox will get a shot to win the league.

Too bad the Toppin family jumped ship.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
From Cox about Toppin:

“We got Jacob here because his people believed this was a mid-major program that could get him to a different level. He was moving in that direction but when his family came here a few times this season they wanted to see the growth of our program. They felt it’s not where we needed to be. That’s what we’re fighting.”

Well, yikes.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

That’s a fair piece from KMac, nicely done
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......wonder if that( the family comments) is code for no dedicated practice, player strength development facility.......?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Pretty good summary of the situation.

Again, the excuse of the kids not being around due to the virus, is still weak. It's the same for everybody. Everybody has a phone and a computer.

Nice to see that Thorr realizes that the lack of program enhancements could be a reason for kids leaving. DUH! Now DO something about it!

Cox sure knows it's a problem.

But, some of this is still on Cox. He really has to work on relationships with his players beyond just recruiting them.
You keep saying this but you don’t know what his relationship is. Again, Toppin was with the Cox family before he left to go home. Mrs. Toppin and Mrs. Cox were often seen sitting next to each other at games...laughing and hugging. Cox started the kid over Fatts in one game. If he didn’t believe in him, he would’ve gotten the Hammond treatment. He almost FOUGHT A COACH FOR THE KID! Could’ve been a career killer. Sometimes, it just is what it fucking is!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Thinking about it, DiSano's take is pretty spot on.

There's blame all around in various degrees.

We can argue over the details, but it's not going to get us anywhere.

Last thing, DC Rams according to you Cox can do no wrong.

You might be the only one on this board that thinks that. It's HIS FUCKING PROGRAM. OWN IT.

Yes the lack of program enhancements is not his fault.... I get that.

But,he has to share the blame. It's unfortunate but true.

Sorry about the language. But just repeating yours.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So if the URI Athletic budget is about $4.3 million, and last year with the Hurley buyout($1.5 million) and the NCAAT credits(about $500k) that means the BB program brought in 50% of the Athletic budget in 1 year!!!!!! Where is this money going??????? Let alone the revenue from tickets and everything else.
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Again...that money goes to the university. Not directly to the Athletic program.
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
theblueram
Frank Keaney

EasyEdBrown wrote: 4 years ago Again...that money goes to the university. Not directly to the Athletic program.
Well, that would be the most fucked up, typical Rhode Island thing for sure.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

If Thorr controls where that money is directed, and there were significant and specific allocations for MBB, he should be fired.
This is not a program that can rely on NCAA tournament money as a source of revenue every year. We could be there, but what do we need to get to that point? Increase in budget.
Volleyball, track and field, rowing, golf, etc... can wait in line and get some of the sheckles down the road when we have become established and can begin to integrate that revenue into other sources.
I know nothing is plain and simple, but... MBB basketball should be priority 1,2, and 3. It is the flagship sport, and probably the only one that is self sufficient from a budget standpoint.
If Thorr doesn't control where that money is spent, who in the university does? What policy exists within the university on the allocation of those funds?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Thinking about it, DiSano's take is pretty spot on.

You might be the only one on this board that thinks that. It's HIS FUCKING PROGRAM. OWN IT.

According to the book of doombone, all he can do is wrong. Easy solution, I’m blocking your bullshit.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Thinking about it, DiSano's take is pretty spot on.

According to the book of doombone, all he can do is wrong. Easy solution, I’m blocking your bullshit.
Keep blocking people DC. We have been URI fans for 30+ years. Maybe it hurts to hear the truth. Or maybe we have seen it before. Either way, whatever.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Badge of honor, 78 ;)
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Badge of honor, 78 ;)
Welcome to the club! You're in elite company! :D
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
EasyEdBrown wrote: 4 years ago Again...that money goes to the university. Not directly to the Athletic program.
Well, that would be the most fucked up, typical Rhode Island thing for sure.
No...that would be second must f'd up thing. What would be the most Rhode Island thing ever is if the state decided to take the money for themselves.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

Keep blocking people DC. We have been URI fans for 30+ years. Maybe it hurts to hear the truth. Or maybe we have seen it before. Either way, whatever.
Hopefully we aren’t going down another Baron type road. His whole career was built around excuses-the other team is real good, it is a process, a couple shots didn’t fall, etc. It looks like the easy out excuse going forward is that the kids today are delusional and think they are better than they really are. Throw your hands up and say there is nothing we could do or look in the mirror to see what they are doing wrong. Does anyone really think Sutton and Carroll relate to today’s student athletes. It sounds like everyone has one another’s back including the President, AD and coach. Bottom line is we need to make the tournament and next years record will leave for no excuses with a terrible schedule and a very weak A-10 after the top 4-5 teams
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good article from Lil Kevie

URI is in a tough spot basically like the article and we have been saying the last couple weeks

Bottom line no matter the circumstances Cox is going to have to keep winning to keep his job long term the situation is what it is
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

So where does all the money we piss away on football come from?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
So where does all the money we piss away on football come from?
.......basketball?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

If I wasn't an "essential employee" and was home, I'd be going through the public URI budget like a mad man.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Given the coaching staff salaries did not realize they spent that much on the men's basketball program. I would love to see a detailed breakdown of expenses. How much more budget to make us able to make march madness more often than not? I know somebody had tweeted that revenue had been up this past season...How far away are we?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I know you won't see this, but DC thank you!
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

All Hail the King, DC Rams. He hath decreed that anyone who cast a negative stone at his beloved David Cox shall be blocked from hereon.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's OK hoopz….we were here long before he arrived...and we'll be here long after he's gone.

And I've never said this is ALL Cox's fault, but he has to share it at least.

Lots of people on this board agree with me on this....but he has to get personal....so he's getting the same treatment.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago That's OK hoopz….we were here long before he arrived...and we'll be here long after he's gone.

And I've never said this is ALL Cox's fault, but he has to share it at least.

Lots of people on this board agree with me on this....but he has to get personal....so he's getting the same treatment.
100%. I guarantee that everyone here (excluding the PC trolls) want Cox to succeed because that means URI is succeeding. On the flip side, if he isn’t, we want to replace him with someone who will. No excuses.
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

The NCAA sucks. i know most agree. This body is so Bureaucratic they cant help but f up
89er
Michael Andersen

Unread post by 89er »

Ok so I have been a follower of KB for years. I hardly ever post as you see. However, I have come to appreciate who are rational posters. IMO they are BlueRam, 83, Big apple ram, DC, Iggy, Sec 205, Bos, Rod (rip), I may have missed one but so many of you are just full of shit!! Call it pent up Covid19 frustration
Sorry.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

89er wrote: 4 years ago Ok so I have been a follower of KB for years. I hardly ever post as you see. However, I have come to appreciate who are rational posters. IMO they are BlueRam, 83, Big apple ram, DC, Iggy, Sec 205, Bos, Rod (rip), I may have missed one but so many of you are just full of shit!! Call it pent up Covid19 frustration
Sorry.
Not sure how I didn’t make the cut. Is it my KeaneyBlue worst Post-to-Like ratio?
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Maybe they will have the teams play against each other in empty gyms, just televised, next season.

URI would probably go undefeated if that happens.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't blame Cox.....the situation is exacerbated by the impending transfer ruling....

We could have the greatest coach in the world....he identifies players who will get better when they get here....he develops them into high midmajor players in the first and second years...and under the new rules...the players will be poached by the big boys...

There is no doubt in my mind this will continue to happen....Do you think Ish or Tres stay if they are as good as we hope they are....when they are averaging 15 points and 7 assists here...and they don't have to sit a year when transferring....and they get seduced by the brighter lights...

I believe only Gonzaga is immune because of the brand they have created....how long does that last with the new rule...
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

The more guys who leave Rhody for a level up and don’t get the PT, points, shot attempts as when they are here the less it will happen in the future.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

From a URI standpoint: Should we be rooting for no college football this year? Would 1 year of no college football revenue bring us back closer to the field when it comes to athletic department revenues?