Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I have zero faith that we can keep anyone at this point. Our guys clearly don't think Cox can get them to that next level. We are in a good enough conference where we should be able to keep our fucking starters. I understand we are going to lose some guys but this turnover is outrageous.

Cox can recruit but what's the point if you can't keep anyone... We won't have a team next year if the rule doesn't pass
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So in addition to a shitty OOC home schedule, we will be entertained by players that no one has ever seen before at URI.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago

Show your work on those other programs
Pretty easy look up the transfer portal yourself and track the recruits. Not going to do the work for you.
I'm not going to let you throw out a bullshit line. Show your work
OKay so do not let me by checking the portal yourself. I will when i get out of work but i checked this earlier from the portal. I know you just am so mad their is facts to disapprove your agenda.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Toppin left because we got Malik Martin and Tres Berry in the same week, and his dreams of slipping seamlessly into Tyrese's old starting job went poof.

His brother plays like an NBA player. He is physical, emotional, is deadly from three point land. Jacob isn't that. He shows flashes and wasn't a guarantee to start with the new blood coming in.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Cox parlayed Tyrese Martin into a two-for-one of Malik Martin and Tres Berry.

Now, do I expect him to do that every single time? no

But he should be able to get someone good in place of Toppin.
Murray is announcing either way today or tomorrow

RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Toppin left because we got Malik Martin and Tres Berry in the same week, and his dreams of slipping seamlessly into Tyrese's old starting job went poof.

His brother plays like an NBA player. He is physical, emotional, is deadly from three point land. Jacob isn't that. He shows flashes and wasn't a guarantee to start with the new blood coming in.
Are you serious? You overate the players remaining on our team. They aren’t that great. You think Tres is coming in and scoring 18 ppg next year. He didn’t care about those guys. This isn’t Duke
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago So in addition to a shitty OOC home schedule, we will be entertained by players that no one has ever seen before at URI.
Hopefully itsy bitsy little cupcakes coming in...The little bite sized ones...

🧁
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Well, Obi Toppin was one and done at Dayton, and now Jacob Toppin was one and done at Rhode Island.

Now forever placed in the archives up there with Zach "One and Done" Marbury
obi played 2 yrs at dayton.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago I have zero faith that we can keep anyone at this point. Our guys clearly don't think Cox can get them to that next level. We are in a good enough conference where we should be able to keep our fucking starters. I understand we are going to lose some guys but this turnover is outrageous.

Cox can recruit but what's the point if you can't keep anyone... We won't have a team next year if the rule doesn't pass
Rhody Sody wrote: 4 years ago Need to switch to recruiting strictly transfers so they can’t leave.
Just think of the high school recruits with "rentals, with the option to buy". We want them to stay, but with the new rule, it's completely up to them to want to stay. They now become like the opposite of the traditional JUCO player. You get them for about two years, and then you cross your fingers.

They will still factor in future recruiting, because you can expect SOME roster turnover every year going forward, maybe not to the extent of this year. But you do need a healthy measure of transfer recruits, because that is what the P5 are encouraging and allowing, so use it to your benefit.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I’m not sure why anybody is bringing up loyalty to Cox or loyalty to URI. People don’t have loyalty to anybody but themselves these days. Can’t really blame them for it. At the end of the day, college basketball is gone from the team sport, to a way to get paid/recognized. It’s changed a lot over the past several years, mainly due to the money involved. Kids want the biggest stage possible. Going to be tough for Mid-majors.
Last edited by SandorClegane 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts is not on the team? When did this happen?
He has entered the draft. He has the option to come back, but as of this second, he is not on the team. Why are you starting an argument just to start one?
he isn't, but you are.

entering the draft does not come close to equaling gone anymore. in fact a large portion of upper classmen enter the draft so they can go through the workouts and get feedback from scouts on their strengths and weaknesses. its become a routine development option for guys.

233 declared for last year's draft.

Can't count on Fatts to return until he says "I'm coming back."
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Cox parlayed Tyrese Martin into a two-for-one of Malik Martin and Tres Berry.

Should be interesting. Toppin move could be a contributing factor
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago I have zero faith that we can keep anyone at this point. Our guys clearly don't think Cox can get them to that next level. We are in a good enough conference where we should be able to keep our fucking starters. I understand we are going to lose some guys but this turnover is outrageous.

Exactly! Why get excited about anything we have coming in and if they are good they aren’t staying with us. We can develop them for a bigger problem I guess. Maybe we can get money for being a developmental program
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bill Koch is presently furloughed from the Providence Journal for the next two days so don't expect immediate analysis on the Toppin transfer from him:

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago I’d throw out these possibilities:
Iona
Dayton
Rutgers
St Johns
Syracuse
UConn
PC
And most any P5 team - wouldn’t surprise me if he lands at a Top ACC team like UNC, Duke, NC State, or a Big 10 school or SEC

If there is one player I looked forward to watching next season it was Jacob Toppin. Great athleticism, enthusiastic player, exciting, eager to learn and most of all high potential. Jacob is a potential star in college basketball. I said often this season he needed more minutes of playing time. It’s a shame to lose a talent like this. Just a shame. Worse than losing Tyrese. Jacob would for sure have been in the starting line up 2020-21.
I agree with this a lot , it was so fun to watch Jacob with all that athleticism and potential that this is such a punch in the gut

Cox deserves some blame but I just think Jacob feels his best path to the league is at a P5 and I guess the new rule will pass so he won’t have to sit

This transfer hurts the most to me
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Lol college basketball sucks now
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago I’m not sure why anybody is bringing up loyalty to Cox or loyalty to URI. People don’t have loyalty to anybody but themselves these days. Can’t really blame them for it. At the end of the day, college basketball is gone from the team sport, to a way to get paid/recognized. It’s changed a lot over the past several years, mainly due to the money involved. Kids want the biggest stage possible. Going to be tough for Mid-majors.
People forgot who went to bat for Jacob at the end of the UMASS game.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago I’m not sure why anybody is bringing up loyalty to Cox or loyalty to URI. People don’t have loyalty to anybody but themselves these days. Can’t really blame them for it. At the end of the day, college basketball is gone from the team sport, to a way to get paid/recognized. It’s changed a lot over the past several years, mainly due to the money involved. Kids want the biggest stage possible. Going to be tough for Mid-majors.
People forgot who went to bat for Jacob at the end of the UMASS game.
Jacob seems to have quickly forgot.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Again, why do you insist on making sense?

Stop!
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

He was a 15-20 min player here. Now, he'll be a 15-20 min player at Rutgers or wherever. He's moving up.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago

He’s already committed elsewhere. Today is just announcement day.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Toppin's transfer plus the other players moving on leaves question about Coach Cox and his staff. The fact that each departing player makes a point to compliment the staff is meaningless given that there is nothing they accomplish by burning bridges as they leave. Better to disguise your true feelings. This team's chemistry was always strange from the opening bell against LIU. The lack of team spirit and enthusiasm and little camaraderie was noticeable especially in bad losses.

When I attended the Davidson game as a guest in the AD suite, I met for the first time a long time big URI booster. He complained to me throughout the game about the team's performance, but what really shocked me was when he said that he didn't enjoy most of the players on the team and considering his long and close association with players over 20 years that really hit home.

Other schools have experienced similar churns over the years and I was grateful this hadn't happen at URI, but now we are experiencing that same disruptive pattern. I am not minimizing the loss of Toppin, but I believe we can overcome this adversity if it is just situational based on the characters involved and the varied and real reasons for their departure. But if this is a Cox and staff issue then the problem is systemic and more serious. I have no evidence of this, maybe some insiders may have more input.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I do hope though that wherever Jacob goes, UMASS plays them in OOC and Jacob drops 30 and 15 on them and that sleezeball.
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I suspected this was the case, Obadiah. If it is the case then this may be indicative of a house cleaning. Fatts is still present however, but he genuinely seems receptive to the coach. I don't think people give Fatts enough credit for being as mature as he is.

Well, there are 6 new players coming in, soon to be 7. Hopefully these players will have a better attitude, maybe some will, maybe some won't, but things are changing because the world is changing.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

So then Toppin's timing does suck, right?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Dayton Board - many posters think he could end up at Dayton but also think many P5’s will be involved.
https://udpride.com/forums/showthread.p ... post626487
He'd have to sit two years - there's nothing in the proposed transfer rule that would prevent a conference 2 year sit out rule from being negated is there?
That’s not what they are saying in the Dayton board. They say the 2 year rule is gone
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago

So then Toppin's timing does suck, right?
No, Brandon’s does. But, I get where you were going.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

He can go to Dayton. We won't try to stop him, and we won't be douche bags like UMass about it. He's fine, whatever he wants to do
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Dayton Board - many posters think he could end up at Dayton but also think many P5’s will be involved.
https://udpride.com/forums/showthread.p ... post626487
He'd have to sit two years - there's nothing in the proposed transfer rule that would prevent a conference 2 year sit out rule from being negated is there?
That’s not what they are saying in the Dayton board. They say the 2 year rule is gone
I would not go by what one yahoo is saying on a message board. I highly doubt the A-10 wants its players transferring within.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago This. Is. Only. The. Beginning.
There's only one player left, and he is a transfer in...
Pretty sure it's the end.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

well, we can probably give him some sort of a waiver, and it will only be one year
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 4 years ago

I might be mistaken but I think DevRam may have meant that this may just be the beginning of what to expect each and every year going forward with the elimination of the transfer waiting period.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We lost one starter.
So far......

Would you think Toppin would be in the starting lineup 2020-21? I would have thought so.
No guarantee.

I know NYGiants fan said that if Toppin wasn't the starter, then that must mean that the other players are really good (paraphrasing)

That very well may be the case. Toppin might have ended up with the same amt of minutes he got first year
Toppin didn’t get enough minutes his first year imho. And I know I’m not alone in that belief.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago He can go to Dayton. We won't try to stop him, and we won't be douche bags like UMass about it. He's fine, whatever he wants to do
Why would he go to Dayton?? If he wants a bigger stage, I assume he wants to go to a bigger program, bigger conference. Dayton wouldn’t do that. It would make no sense.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago He can go to Dayton. We won't try to stop him, and we won't be douche bags like UMass about it. He's fine, whatever he wants to do
Why would he go to Dayton?? If he wants a bigger stage, I assume he wants to go to a bigger program, bigger conference. Dayton wouldn’t do that. It would make no sense.

Why would he go to Dayton? They just developed his brother into an All American, NPOY, and lottery pick. Dayton is obviously a bigger program.
Go Rhody
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

So far......

Would you think Toppin would be in the starting lineup 2020-21? I would have thought so.
No guarantee.

I know NYGiants fan said that if Toppin wasn't the starter, then that must mean that the other players are really good (paraphrasing)

That very well may be the case. Toppin might have ended up with the same amt of minutes he got first year
Toppin didn’t get enough minutes his first year imho. And I know I’m not alone in that belief.
He played almost 20 a game & would be playing close to 30 this upcoming season. Do we need to play for overtime each game so people can get more minutes per game??
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago So in addition to a shitty OOC home schedule, we will be entertained by players that no one has ever seen before at URI.
And the team shall be calllllllled...the NOHEHOHs

No
One
Has
Ever
Heard
Of
Him
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago well, we can probably give him some sort of a waiver, and it will only be one year
That's not how that works.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

We will all be Fordham now. They have had a bunch of good freshman over the years who have left and Fordham stays perpetually bad. The transfer rule was the one thing keeping a little bit of market imbalance that allowed for non-p5 teams to find and retain diamonds in the rough. Now we will take chances on players and if they outperform their ranking they will just parlay it into transferring to a P5 school. Conversely players that were not fits at P-5's will come to us, thus now making the market "balanced" with P5's having the top players and the rest distributed among the remain 275ish teams. It is hard to root for a team when it's mostly new every year and you don't get to see them grow and develop.

I cant read all the posts without my head exploding, but not sure how Jacob doesn't think he can get the proper exposure at this level...his brother was everywhere this year...and won Player of the Year...not sure his exposure could have been any better.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

who knows how any of this works? The NCAA hasn't even made a ruling yet
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Well, the good news is that the Mitchell’s mom shouldn’t have to bitch much about her kids playing time.
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyrudder wrote: 4 years ago

I might be mistaken but I think DevRam may have meant that this may just be the beginning of what to expect each and every year going forward with the elimination of the transfer waiting period.
Correct
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Right? Mom Mitchell is not one to be trifled with. She'll blow you up on social media. #Don'tCrossTheBoss
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Link to the CBS Sports article:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... er-portal/

Look at the last quote from Cox: "The only way to curb that is to win even more, and to build the resources that we need. We have won at a very competitive level in my two years as head coach but we need to continue to invest in the program."

Maybe we should start directing our venom at Thorr instead of Cox.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

spookydog wrote: 4 years ago

No guarantee.

He played almost 20 a game & would be playing close to 30 this upcoming season. Do we need to play for overtime each game so people can get more minutes per game??
February and March games - minutes for Toppin
32 Fordham game that Toppin won for us by 1 point

You would think and hope that a future star player would get more minutes in Feb and March, than he got in Nov, Dec and Jan, certainly not less

I could see it in his family’s demeanor at the games and he had a large number of family members in attendance, especially for the Dayton game at the RC. Not surprising he would move on unfortunately.

2 years in Cox era, 2 supposedly top recruiting classes and not 1 URI Freshman sniffs the All Rookie A10 Team.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RIFan wrote: 4 years ago
I cant read all the posts without my head exploding, but not sure how Jacob doesn't think he can get the proper exposure at this level...his brother was everywhere this year...and won Player of the Year...not sure his exposure could have been any better.
That may be where the coaching comes in. Obi got a ton of exposure, but he was also on a 29-2, Top 5 team in the country that also splashed on the biggest OOC Tournament stage in Maui. If someone were to be skeptical on the roster composition or the coaching acumen, how could they feel confident about getting the exposure they desire?
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

And you can include wonderman Tyrese Martin in that. The fact of it is, he wasn't all rookie.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
And the team shall be calllllllled...the NOHEHOHs

No
One
Has
Ever
Heard
Of
Him
Since there's nothing really left to talk about...
I'll see all of you in November, assuming of course that there is a November, and my tickets don't get lost in the mail.
I guess there will be one guy on the floor I've heard of, but if it's zero I won't be surprised.
Stay safe all of you, good luck, and GO UNIFORMS!!!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Would Dayton have been that good without Obi who ended up there because he was overlooked not because he thought they would be national championship contenders and chose them over Duke or UK...Anthony Grant did not have that kind of name cache. Dayton caught lightning in a bottle and the point being was that he got the recognition he was due in the A10.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

If this is the new norm I am not sure I even want to continue following college basketball.
Can we even field a full team without the transfers now?
With the attention span, the need for instant gratification and work ethic of Gen
Z's This transfer rule is like throwing a match to a kid sitting in a bath-tub full of gasoline.
If it wouldn't screw us so badly I almost wish this transfer rule wouldn't go into effect for another year.
WTF?!?