‘20 TN PG - Norance Tres Berry (URI ---> Charleston Southern)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: ‘20 TN PG - Norance Tres Berry (Offer)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Berry isn’t coming. URI took Malik Martin over Berry
Confirmed. No more Berry.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

You think he is worried about playing time next year now ???
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That’s a bummer. I’m glad Malik is coming. Wish we could have them both.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I wonder if this affects Abou, who is friends with Tres? Especially with the twins coming too.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Anyway, I bet Tres goes to UMass now.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I wonder if this affects Abou, who is friends with Tres? Especially with the twins coming too.
My question as well. I can live with Martin over Berry. Not sure I like it if it also costs us Ousmane, who I really like.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You’d hope not. There are always going to be other players on the roster that play the same position. I get that this issue has created all kinds of revolving door situations here over the last two years, but at some point that has to return to normal and the coach has to figure out how to manage it. With all these commitments coming on a matter of days, it’s hard for me to believe that this shaking out exactly as it has would have been unforeseeable for Abou when he committed.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

While I love having Malik because of the whole family connection, I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that Tres isn't coming.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

If his own personal career was predicated on where Tres went, then it wouldn’t be an ideal fit anyway. Nonetheless, Ousmane is fine.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
Interesting. That's surprising.
Disappointing if true. Really wanted Leggett and Berry to play together and develop what Terrell and Mathews had a few years ago
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I saw this young man as potentially our point guard of the future but there are only so many minutes to go around. I think he will be a good player somewhere and wish him the best. Recruiting is a tricky thing. I'd be shocked if there were not at least a few weeks where we would have accepted his commitment and built around him as part of the core group.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago I saw this young man as potentially our point guard of the future but there are only so many minutes to go around. I think he will be a good player somewhere and wish him the best. Recruiting is a tricky thing. I'd be shocked if there were not at least a few weeks where we would have accepted his commitment and built around him as part of the core group.
Think he waited too long
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

It's not completely goodbye, is it? Just goodbye for now.

He'll be back at Rhody when he transfers in 2 years.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago I saw this young man as potentially our point guard of the future but there are only so many minutes to go around. I think he will be a good player somewhere and wish him the best. Recruiting is a tricky thing. I'd be shocked if there were not at least a few weeks where we would have accepted his commitment and built around him as part of the core group.
Think he waited too long
He just posted a pic of himself in a Rhody uniform a few days ago. Everybody assumed that was kind of a commitment.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Confirmed. No more Berry.
That’s disappointing
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea this is confusing.
GO RAMS
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I see this scenario as cox learning from this past year and the times changing in the bball landscape. He was waiting a while on berry and started to wonder is he going to leave like rese and mekhi just did in a year or two. Or he can go a less risky route and get a proven player in C-USA that will have a 2 solid years with and also even out the classes.
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Wish we had gotten Berry but we have been burned waiting for decisions in recent years. In our current situation you don’t wait around and miss on other solid recruits.
nchof
Abdul Fox

Unread post by nchof »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Think he waited too long
He just posted a pic of himself in a Rhody uniform a few days ago. Everybody assumed that was kind of a commitment.
It has now been deleted... he had both an Instagram and Twitter post of him in a URI uniform but both have been deleted since Martin’s commitment
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Think he waited too long
Agreed.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I like Martin and he will be a solid player, but I think Tres Berry is the kind of player that can make a difference with all conference potential in his junior and senior year. I wonder what happened behind the scenes. I was already counting him on the time-lol
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago I like Martin and he will be a solid player, but I think Tres Berry is the kind of player that can make a difference with all conference potential in his junior and senior year. I wonder what happened behind the scenes. I was already counting him on the time-lol
He’s definitely talented, but if I had to choose, I’m taking Martin every day of the week.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago I like Martin and he will be a solid player, but I think Tres Berry is the kind of player that can make a difference with all conference potential in his junior and senior year. I wonder what happened behind the scenes. I was already counting him on the time-lol
He’s definitely talented, but if I had to choose, I’m taking Martin every day of the week.
Really? You were real high on Tres Berry. I just feel like Tres Berry is one of those players that could average 17-19 points a game some day. Martin will be a hard nosed defender, but not sure he is ever going to be a big scorer. I like Martin though.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago If his own personal career was predicated on where Tres went, then it wouldn’t be an ideal fit anyway. Nonetheless, Ousmane is fine.
I hope your right here. I really do. Because unless they explicitly told Ousmane they were doing this, how do you know this? Those guys are close, Ousmane tweeted right after he committed, your turn next. They are 17, 18 years old, these things matter. Personally, I have my doubts how solid Ousmane is now. And that would suck, because he is a talented big guy that I think will be a really good college player. I hate being that person I generally despise, the sky is falling type, but this seems a little off to me.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I'm guessing it was explained to Ousmane that Berry might not come here before he committed.

Then Berry really did a foot drag for some inexplicable reason.

Anyway, "we got Malik Martin!!"
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I'm guessing it was explained to Ousmane that Berry might not come here before he committed.

Malik Martin wasn’t the second choice. Coach Cox wanted Malik over Berry.
If Malik had said no, they would’ve signed Berry.
Cox wants Malik’s defense, rebounding & college experience.
“We will be good when we are good.”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I'm guessing it was explained to Ousmane that Berry might not come here before he committed.

If true than it sounds like they led Tres Berry down the wrong path. He obviously thought he was coming to URI. The defense is good, but in today’s basketball it seems like guys who can put the ball and create points like Fatts and Martin is a must. I’m betting this isn’t nearly the end of the offseason turnover. Pretty good day overall. If Martin is anything like his brother you can’t complain.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

If true than it sounds like they led Tres Berry down the wrong path. He obviously thought he was coming to URI. The defense is good, but in today’s basketball it seems like guys who can put the ball and create points like Fatts and Martin is a must. I’m betting this isn’t nearly the end of the offseason turnover. Pretty good day overall. If Martin is anything like his brother you can’t complain.

Coaches pursue multiple recruits for the same position and recruits pursue multiple teams. It’s how it works. That includes what happened to Berry and Akeem this week. It happens all the time.
Tres Berry no longer has a scholarship offer from RI.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

83, like I said in another thread...we still need shooters.

We will have a big team and pretty athletic. Hopefully good defensively.

But shooting will still be an issue.

Berry would have helped there.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago 83, like I said in another thread...we still need shooters.

Agree on Berry. I like him a lot. URI is no longer pursuing Berry.
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago 83, like I said in another thread...we still need shooters.

Agree on Berry. I like him a lot. URI is no longer pursuing Berry.
That is still disappointing. I wanted both Berry and Martin
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Bummer. We have one scholarship left right? Really would've loved to see him play here. I wonder if Cox feels he's about to get someone else for the last spot.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Staff seems to know what they are doing , if Cox wanted Malik more than Tres I back him 100 %
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I was on the Berry train but being indecisive is not a formula for success in life.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

This was a comment to Tres Berry on his twitter. It seems to be in reference to what took place with URI today. Everything is always cryptic or underlining message on social media these days

steviep123
Sly Williams

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago This was a comment to Tres Berry on his twitter. It seems to be in reference to what took place with URI today. Everything is always cryptic or underlining message on social media these days

That sad emoji and response could be anything
Bleed Keaney Blue!

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Three sides to every story.

Wish the kid all the best. Always take experience over a freshman.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

1. You’d take experience over a freshman “always”? Not saying I disagree in this case, but always seems a little strong. I can think of some instances where I’d rather have a freshman than a transfer.

2. If Berry had tried to commit on Sunday night, would he have been told to wait or would it have been accepted?

3. Would I be wrong to read this situation with Berry as the 13th scholarship having someone’s name on it? Or do they just not want to take Malik and Tres both and are still pursuing a number of options for the 13th?

Anyways, still bummed about Berry being out. I love the Martin family and am pumped to have Malik coming in. I’m excited for Hass, I’m sure he’s excited. But I liked Berry as a prospect. Too bad we couldn’t make room for both.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah seems like a timing thing . If Berry committed like 4 days ago would Martin still want to come here ?? Oh well moving on
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Before Malik entered the transfer portal, URI would’ve accepted a commitment from Berry.
Some time shortly after Malik entering the portal, he became the priority over Berry.
URI continued to pursue both players. Berry hadn’t decided when he left for Phoenix.
My guess is that Malik was given until Weds to decide.
Once Malik committed yesterday the scholarship offer was pulled from Berry.
This is typical of the recruiting process. It occurs on both sides of the process.
Coaches leverage other recruits to get a decision and move on if that commit date goes by.
Recruits leverage other schools to get a committed to offer from a school and move on if they don’t get it.

URI’s recruiting landscape has changed in reaction to the impact of the expected change in the transfer rule.
They are more focused on transfers than high school/prep recruits and will continue to be that way for the near future.
This was influenced but what happened with Tyrese, Long and Hammond. Probably more by Long and Hammond.

Fyi, the tweet above advising Tres is from his mother.
Last edited by Rhody83 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The downside of recruiting has to be telling a kid you are withdrawing the offer. The flip side of recruiting a kid for years only to have another school swoop in at the end and sign him.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago URI’s recruiting landscape has changed in reaction to the impact of the expected change in the transfer rule.
They are more focused on transfers than high school/prep recruits and will continue to be that way for the near future.
This was influenced but what happened with Tyrese, Long and Hammond. Probably more by Long and Hammond.
I agree with this, by nature Rhody will need to be more focused on transfers than freshmen. While P5 programs are able to keep their high-performing underclassmen and just reap the benefits of their under-performers transferring downward, many of ours will opt to transfer to the P5 conferences. (Which I don't fully understand, because studs can be seen/scouted professionally from anywhere, but I digress.)

So why become a farm system for the major conferences where our freshmen and sophomores leave and only our mediocre players opt to stay? Better to have a robust stock of transfers with only a max of a few freshmen per year. The bonus is if we hit it big with our transfer selections, it can convince those freshmen coming in that this is a place you can stay and win.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago The downside of recruiting has to be telling a kid you are withdrawing the offer. The flip side of recruiting a kid for years only to have another school swoop in at the end and sign him.
A father of a top 50 recruit explained the process to me years ago when I was at the Hall of Fame Classic in January. His son’s top choice was Maryland. He eventually ended up at Maryland and was their starting PG. Maryland was after another PG that was in the top 10. There was a point when the Maryland Assistant went completely silent with them (waiting for top 10s decision) so the kid switched focus to his 2nd choice. Then Maryland engaged again as soon as top 10 committed to another school. Total roller coaster for the family.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Malik Martin didn't announce he was transferring until just a couple of weeks ago. It sounds like Berry could have gotten out ahead of all of this by committing prior to these new developments, back in Feb.

I think everything happens for a reason, and it was fate that URI would get Malik Martin.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Also, for all we know, URI was not necessarily Berry's first choice. We were told he wanted to play for Tennessee and also Vanderbilt, much closer to home.

URI was the most visible choice, but even up to a week ago, people were saying "what is the hold up" and the answer provided was that he wants to wait and see if Vanderbilt decides to offer.

Ogundele pulled this. By all accounts, Akeem was also looking to do this.

For Cox to wrap up 4 impressive signings in about 48 hours and put a bow on it, is nothing short of amazing and should be interpreted as such.
steviep123
Sly Williams

I’m no recruiting guru but why not also take Berry too? It’s not like we don’t have another scholarship. It’s not either Malik or Tres. It could be both. Plus if Malik (and the Twins) need to sit a year they’ll need another player. I don’t see much downside to taking both. If one outplays the other then that player gets the minutes.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

This is evolving in my mind as well, but I would think the idea would be: if the twins and Malik are declared ineligible by the NCAA, take Cole the forward grad transfer as emergency backup. Or if the NCAA does rule favorably, but Fatts leaves, take a guard, possibly Gage?

Those are just examples to demonstrate the thought process here. I admit I know nothing (Jon Snow)
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I’m no recruiting guru but why not also take Berry too? It’s not like we don’t have another scholarship. It’s not either Malik or Tres. It could be both. Plus if Malik (and the Twins) need to sit a year they’ll need another player. I don’t see much downside to taking both. If one outplays the other then that player gets the minutes.
Because of expectations. Berry expected to come here and get a shot At significant PT. Those prospects dwindle with the more bodies you bring in. He likely wasn’t going to be in front of Martin. I think the staff did the responsible thing. As of today we have 12 bodies! That’s a lot of mouths to feed
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Placeholder

6’3” PG 170 lbs
High School: Scotland Campus Sports
AAU: Bobby Maze Elite

Offers:
Rhode Island
Auburn
Tennessee
West Virginia
Berry vs Malik Martin

Berry
  • Berry is a Composite 2-star, he is ranked #396 on 247, con't see rankings on any other sites
  • Berry had 12 Offers relevant to URI, however they are spread across 3 years:
  • 3 from 2017: ETSU July, LIU and Tennessee in October
  • 5 from 2018: Auburn April, Penn, Jacksonville South Alabama, Cal State Bakersfield in July
  • 5 in 2019: WVU May, Toledo July, Tulsa August, Bradley Sept and URI in December
  • Just picked up offers on March 28 from Coastal Carolina and March 29 from St Bonaventure
  • Prior to Scotland Campus Berry played at Christ School in NC. He is friends with Jalen Lecque who was #42 ESPN Class of 2019, declared for NBA Draft, wasn't drafted and plays for G-League Pheonix Suns. Berry is visiting Lecque in Arizona now
Martin
  • Solid 6'6" Good Shooter. Hit 73% Its including hitting his last 10 consecutive FTs of the season
  • Shot 37.8% on 3Ps hitting 34-90
  • Excellent defensive player

Martin was recruited by TJ Buchanan and David Cox. TJ played with Malik's Big Brother, Hassan, at URI. Malik was a frequent visitor to the Ryan Center where Hassan played for 4 glorious years.
Martin is a solid recruit. We know what he can do. He is closer to home, an easy 3 hour train ride by Amtrak. His family and friends can see him play
Having Fordham in the A10 is a nice advantage for the Martin Family as it is so easy to see URI play. Conference USA has no teams close to NYC.
Jacob Toppin, Malik Martin, DJ Johnson and Abou Ousmane are all from NYC
Nice to have also the Hall of Fame Tournament at the Mohegan Sun
This is like a homecoming for Martin compared to Charlotte, especially since his Big Brother played at URI
Plus for many of our Recruits and Players this is a big attraction with the A10 Tournament:
2021 Brooklyn - Barclays Center
2022 Washington DC - Capital Center
2023 Brooklyn - Barclays Center
2024 Brooklyn - Barclays Center

Much more likely that Martin stays and plays at URI his last 2 years. He will have an immediate impact.
Berry would run the risk of transferring if he was successful early on at URI in today's transfer world.

Given the choice between the 2 players? Martin. Great job by TJ Buchanan and David Cox
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.