Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Re: Tyrese Martin

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

The rash of transfers may also have to do with unkept promises higher up. Anyone we started to recruit while Dan was still here was likely sold a bill of goods about ongoing program improvements, which HAVE NOT BEEN DELIVERED. That is a failure of our whole administration, not just the coaching staff. We are ripe for the picking by even marginally better schools which have a huge leg up on practice facilities, athlete amenities, etc.

Good that Tyrese is taking the high road, but would like to hear a leak over what is actually causing the players to transfer. Program-improvements related, poor practices/instruction, personal problems with David, etc.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Whomever coached him is going to have to get him to play defense and stop being lackadaisical out there. He has the talent but needs to be coached
This might be true with the defense and lazy play at time, but he would have been either are 1st or second best option on offense. He also was a very rebounder and was continuing to get better. He might not be on the level him or his family think they are, but this is a huge loss. Wait until you see how inept the URI offense is next year. If Fatts leaves we have no one that can create their own points on a consistent basis.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If Martin improves big time next year, that could tell you a little bit about his "development" here.

Like I've said, it might not be Cox that's the problem.

Could be someone else on the staff being the reason why guys aren't staying.

One thing's for sure, we didn't see a whole lot of development from our bigs this past season.

One of the simplest things in basketball is making uncontested layups. We stunk at that.

To me, that's coaching, no doubt whatsoever.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

When Cox starts talking about "the process", he sounds like Baron.
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And yes, Cox is the one who is responsible for the entire program.

You're only as strong as your weakest link.

So if there is a problem there, it affects the whole system.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago The rash of transfers may also have to do with unkept promises higher up. Anyone we started to recruit while Dan was still here was likely sold a bill of goods about ongoing program improvements, which HAVE NOT BEEN DELIVERED. That is a failure of our whole administration, not just the coaching staff. We are ripe for the picking by even marginally better schools which have a huge leg up on practice facilities, athlete amenities, etc.

Good that Tyrese is taking the high road, but would like to hear a leak over what is actually causing the players to transfer. Program-improvements related, poor practices/instruction, personal problems with David, etc.
.......all fair and good points as to wide range of problem areas that in focus here......a tip of the ice berg that has not been mentioned here was the Ryan Preston pop-off last season when he spoke about, something to effect of family being preached but not practiced, his view......it has been mentioned here what I will call the Fatts Factor, in that a Coach is faced with a dilemma of handing the keys to a star player, to win at all costs, at the expense of other players seeing that key holder go through hot/cold streaks.......a talent like Fatts when hot pays huge rewards but the cost when cold is the other players feel not being able to contribute to the team/family......I think this dynamic is real and has been a dilemma for hoop coaches everywhere......successful coaches manage this dilemma, and recruiting / retaining complementary players is a huge challenging.....this probably belongs is transfer issue threads.....have good day....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

THE MILLER REPORT Trade mark sign
@miller_report
Per a source, former Rhode Island G, Tyrese Martin, has already heard from Creighton, Oklahoma, Seton Hall, Marquette, Miami, Oregon, Nebraska, Ole Miss, Temple, and Arizona St.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago If Martin improves big time next year, that could tell you a little bit about his "development" here.

One thing's for sure, we didn't see a whole lot of development from our bigs this past season.

One of the simplest things in basketball is making uncontested layups. We stunk at that.

This - exactly this. I'm still high on Cox and think he is much better than Baron, but the lack of making uncontested layups is Baronesque. How many times did we have guys like that under Baron? Jamal Wise comes to mind - while he was a good player, my friends and I used to call him "The Un-Finisher" and there were a few guys that we gave that moniker to during Baron's time. I bring up Wise because he was the first.

Something needs to be done. I'm not sure what, but it's on Thorr, Dooley, and Cox to make it happen. We've shown that we can be a great and fun program to be around in good times - why not do what it takes to have more seasons like DH's last 2? Think big then do bigger.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The only thing I’ll say about the IG story, is that it peaked at 90 viewers. It’s no longer viewable. If their was anything in there that could be misconstrued you would have a. Had to be on IG at the time he went live b. Be a follower of him c. Be a recruit/handler/parent.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago If Martin improves big time next year, that could tell you a little bit about his "development" here.

Especially if he starts passing on fast breaks!

I think he improved a lot from his freshman year here so I'm sure he will be better. It will be painful in many ways to watch him do well for one of those schools.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Maybe quite a few wanted Pitino, but the one guy that mattered is Dooley.

And he wanted no part of it. We never had a chance.

Good.

A lot of the fan base did not want Pitino. He is scum.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Maybe quite a few wanted Pitino, but the one guy that mattered is Dooley.

Good.

At this point I think 99% of us would have taken him.
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Good.

On one of the last couple of Pick & Pop podcasts, Bill Koch talked about Pitino. He recalled 2 years ago he was hearing rumors and called Thorr to find out if it were true. Thorr said basically (paraphrasing), "where are you getting this from? The guy is toxic. There's no way we will call him or take his call." I listened to it last week, so I might not be remembering the exact wording but that is the gist.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago

Good.

On one of the last couple of Pick & Pop podcasts, Bill Koch talked about Pitino. He recalled 2 years ago he was hearing rumors and called Thorr to find out if it were true. Thorr said basically (paraphrasing), "where are you getting this from? The guy is toxic. There's no way we will call him or take his call." I listened to it last week, so I might not be remembering the exact wording but that is the gist.
Harrick was toxic too. Only got us an Elite 8 appearance and a New Arena.
When Calipari went to Kentucky he was as toxic as they come.
If you want to play with the big boys sometimes you have to take a chance. the Big boys bring the opportunity to raise $$$$ for the new things.

Think about this for a minute. If Al Skinner coached the 98 team to the Elite 8 (they were his players) do you think we get a Ryan Center? I don't because all Al wanted to do was coach. He wasnt into the fundraising and rubbing elbows. Harrick loved it.

If Pitino was hired two years ago the practice center would be built already. They would have charters to every road game. the money would be there. I am not even saying his record would be better but the recruits would be higher level.

Think Big We Do.... (cough Cough) Bullshit
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

Good.

I disagree. Far more Rhody fans than 1% have some standards.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: Tyrese Martin to Transfer

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Well it appears the Hurley’s are fighting over our scraps?

Ramchops

Cool.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Well it appears the Hurley’s are fighting over our scraps?

Ramchops

Cool.
Tyrese isn’t “scraps.” He’s an All A10 player the next two years.

He’s a Hurley recruit, Can’t be surprised he’s going after him.
Go Rhody
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
Like I said yesterday he will end up at UCONN or Seton Hall IMO.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago

Good.

If you want to play with the big boys sometimes you have to take a chance. the Big boys bring the opportunity to raise $$$$ for the new things.

Think about this for a minute. If Al Skinner coached the 98 team to the Elite 8 (they were his players) do you think we get a Ryan Center? I don't because all Al wanted to do was coach. He wasnt into the fundraising and rubbing elbows. Harrick loved it.

If Pitino was hired two years ago the practice center would be built already. They would have charters to every road game. the money would be there. I am not even saying his record would be better but the recruits would be higher level.

How many times must this be explained to the those with no understanding of the time and concept of the facts? Harrick may be toxic now but he was not back in 1997 when URI hired him. He had been fired at UCLA for falsifying expense reports and lying related to a dinner. He did not yet have a laundry list of transgressions like Pitino.

Pitino is scum. Many transgressions at multiple times with sanctions over the years at Louisville. Inappropriate relationships with spouse of staff which resulted in an abortion he paid for, supllying strippers for recruts, paying off recruits to entice them to commit.

NO PITINO. NOT TWO YEARS AGO, NOT NOW, NEVER IN THE FUTURE!
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Well it appears the Hurley’s are fighting over our scraps?

Ramchops

Cool.

I meant “yummy scraps”

We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Good.

Agreed. I didnt want him then & dont want him now
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago

Good.

First things first. Harrick was no where near as toxic in 1998 as Pitino was two years ago. Calipari was more toxic than Harrick then. Harrick didn't have a Final Four appearance negated. He had one transgression at that point at UCLA. 2nd, we have no idea what would have happened if Skinner had stayed as that's not what happened. Remember, Skinner had BC as a top Big East team a few years later, then a top ACC team. If he stayed, maybe they don't make the final 8 (his postseason record at BC wasn't as good as it could have been), but assuming he recruits as well, we also don't have the Jerry D/Baron years and we have a few NCAA teams going into the mid 2000s anyway. Does that result in a new Ryan Center? I guess we'll never know. The timing of the Elite 8 and Almond being governor and the good will made the timing right, so in that, you might be right. However, the story goes (if true) that Almond had started the ball with URI and Skinner before Skinner left. The 1998 tourney run gave it the extra kick needed, so you might be right on that.

Still, no one in their right mind would have hired Pitino two years ago. That was right after he was fired from Louisville. He didn't have time to step away. Now if it were now, it would be a little different.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

OK. I don't disagree about Pitino then but we have followed the model of hiring the Assistant 4x since the 70's. it worked once, Skinner. How about trying something else next time.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
steviep123
Sly Williams

I know this is all Monday morning quarterbacking, but say we hire someone else two years ago, not Cox, not Pitino. Where are we? It has to be a home run hire or all the good will from 2017 and 18 are gone (which it seems to have gone anyway). I don't know the answer to that. My guess is if we hired some other assistant it wouldn't have been much different and we'd have been worse the past two years, but maybe all the transfers would have been two years ago and not now (they would have been decommits then). So it's a matter of what's better? Hopefully Cox can turn it around. Remember, Skinner's first 3 years weren't great and was thought to be on the hot seat. He was 13-15, 15-3, and 11-7 (if memory serves), then NIT and NCAA. Then the next two were bad, followed by NIT, NCAA. Then Harrick's run with Al's team.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Ramchops

Cool.

...and if choosing between Hurls comes down to Storrs vs. Tempe well...

Advantage Devils
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

The list of schools reaching out to Martin is very surprising to me, he has shown periods where he is a P5 caliber player but he just plays with a disinterested and lackluster effort for the majority of games. UConn's roster is already filled with similar players, he'd have a nice view of the action sitting next to Brenden Adams. I dont see him getting the PT he'd get at URI, there is obviously something more to his reason for leaving.

Count me in for those who would entertain having Pitino to take over for Hurley at the time. We are URI, we do not have (or are unwilling) to spend the cash on the program to keep good coaches, might as well have a period of winning like we did with Harrick while we can. I'm also pretty confident Iona will be his last coaching gig.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Shinze88 wrote: 4 years ago The list of schools reaching out to Martin is very surprising to me, he has shown periods where he is a P5 caliber player but he just plays with a disinterested and lackluster effort for the majority of games. UConn's roster is already filled with similar players, he'd have a nice view of the action sitting next to Brenden Adams. I dont see him getting the PT he'd get at URI, there is obviously something more to his reason for leaving.

Count me in for those who would entertain having Pitino to take over for Hurley at the time. We are URI, we do not have (or are unwilling) to spend the cash on the program to keep good coaches, might as well have a period of winning like we did with Harrick while we can. I'm also pretty confident Iona will be his last coaching gig.
Tyrese will play wherever he lands. Being confident and showing minimal emotion does not mean you are disinterested or putting in a lackluster effort.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Not to derail this thread entirely - but as scummy as Pitino may have been - of the GOOD coaches in college basketball, 99% of them are doing something to gain an edge - whether it be immoral, unethical, illegal - or all 3. NO ONE CARES. Everyone conveniently forgets.

You've got guys on tape talking payments. You've got schools making up fake classes and falsifying grades.

This is a dirty business like it or not. This is like trying to still believe in Santa Claus. The "good" guys finish last. Or at the very least underachieve.

Sure there's a rare case out there like a Brad Stevens. But how many other D1 head coaches are good AND squeaky clean.

This program needs to decide who we are. I had thought the building of the Ryan Center said we want to play with the big boys. The Hurley hire looked like we were finally going to realize that.

Then we refused to invest in the program.

Think about that. We had a coach who wasn't after more money. Wasn't after more power. HE JUST WANTED THE PROGRAM TO BE COMPETITIVE AT ALL LEVELS.

He took care of the talent and the coaching. He can't build a practice facility. He can't pay the assistant coaches more money. He can't schedule charter flights.

So we had that guy. We lost that guy. We'll probably never see that guy again.

For the holier than thou crowd - I'm not sure what you want to root for, but this isn't a have your cake and eat it too scenario. We either dance with the devil or we clutch our pearls and slip to irrelevance. Unfortunately there's no in-between in D1 college basketball in 2020. That ship has sailed.

Until the state invests or our donors invest - we're gonna suck. And it's gonna be a long ass time before we're good again.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Not to derail this thread entirely - but as scummy as Pitino may have been - of the GOOD coaches in college basketball, 99% of them are doing something to gain an edge - whether it be immoral, unethical, illegal - or all 3. NO ONE CARES. Everyone conveniently forgets.

You've got guys on tape talking payments. You've got schools making up fake classes and falsifying grades.

This is a dirty business like it or not. This is like trying to still believe in Santa Claus. The "good" guys finish last. Or at the very least underachieve.

Sure there's a rare case out there like a Brad Stevens. But how many other D1 head coaches are good AND squeaky clean.

This program needs to decide who we are. I had thought the building of the Ryan Center said we want to play with the big boys. The Hurley hire looked like we were finally going to realize that.

Think about that. We had a coach who wasn't after more money. Wasn't after more power. HE JUST WANTED THE PROGRAM TO BE COMPETITIVE AT ALL LEVELS.

He took care of the talent and the coaching. He can't build a practice facility. He can't pay the assistant coaches more money. He can't schedule charter flights.

For the holier than thou crowd - I'm not sure what you want to root for, but this isn't a have your cake and eat it too scenario. We either dance with the devil or we clutch our pearls and slip to irrelevance. Unfortunately there's no in-between in D1 college basketball in 2020. That ship has sailed.

Until the state invests or our donors invest - we're gonna suck. And it's gonna be a long ass time before we're good again.
I think i read this post after harrick left on the old AOL or projo board. URI wants to play with the big boys but without the budget and the taking chances. At that point you are more like Holy Cross than the VCU's.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Not to derail this thread entirely - but as scummy as Pitino may have been - of the GOOD coaches in college basketball, 99% of them are doing something to gain an edge - whether it be immoral, unethical, illegal - or all 3. NO ONE CARES. Everyone conveniently forgets.

Start a new thread with this post.

Title suggestion “Dancin’ (with the Devil?)”

We need some new threads seriously..
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I don't care what coach is on the sideline for URI. I only care about the product.

There is noway a kid in the program is leaving because of a practice facility. That is insane.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago I don't care what coach is on the sideline for URI. I only care about the product.

There is noway a kid in the program is leaving because of a practice facility. That is insane.
Agreed on the product part. I'm rooting for good basketball.

I know a coach definitely will leave because of a practice facility.

But if you're a kid who wants to get better at basketball - do you want to go to a school that has a place that you can access 24/7/365 no ifs, ands, or buts? Or do you want to have a place where you can access it after you know it's not in use by the women's team, concerts, high school games, graduations, boat show, car show, home show, etc, etc, etc...

It matters. Especially in 2020.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Teeker
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Teeker »

Word is he mistreated student team managers just horribly at times, overheard by several season ticket holders sitting behind team..a real prima donna. Has shades of pro level at times, but not in NBA. Will be a midteir Europe league player, most likely, which he can make decent money doing. Best of luck to him, but you can definitely tell someone's character by how they treat those in lower positions, like student team managers. We've all messed up at times, but overall he gave off a vibe that he felt URI was beneath him. I hope he's right and can be a superstar elsewhere, and in the NBA.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Agreed. IMHO facilities are important to coaches and hs recruits. I just doubt a player is worried about institutional upgrades.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

100% agree. does anyone think our staff is top notch.? Good players know what good coaching is- and you need more than a head coach!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

At this point, fuck it - if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.

I think we know which one we are based on your last paragraph. We can't afford to be a sneaky/dirty program even if we wanted to be one.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I wouldn't want to play on a team where the coach had anointed a player like Fatts as the face of the program.
NCAAs or Bust!
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago I wouldn't want to play on a team where the coach had anointed a player like Fatts as the face of the program.
It’s amazing. Anytime I think you can’t be more annoying and more of a troll you outdo yourself. Kudos!

By all accounts Fatts is a good guy on and off the court, he always plays with intensity and determination, he’s tough, he’s gritty, plays tenacious defense, he’s always smiling, always pumping up his teammates, seems to love the game of basketball, and he said all the right things even when he was temporarily benched by Cox. You’re right, who would want a guy like THAT as the face of their program!

You’re such a tool. Eventually you’ll reveal to everyone that you’re actually Ed Cooley.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago I wouldn't want to play on a team where the coach had anointed a player like Fatts as the face of the program.
It’s amazing. Anytime I think you can’t be more annoying and more of a troll you outdo yourself. Kudos!

By all accounts Fatts is a good guy on and off the court, he always plays with intensity and determination, he’s tough, he’s gritty, plays tenacious defense, he’s always smiling, always pumping up his teammates, seems to love the game of basketball, and he said all the right things even when he was temporarily benched by Cox. You’re right, who would want a guy like THAT as the face of their program!

You’re such a tool. Eventually you’ll reveal to everyone that you’re actually Ed Cooley.
Ed Cooley and David Cox are actually cordial and respectful though.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago

100% agree. does anyone think our staff is top notch.? Good players know what good coaching is- and you need more than a head coach!
I’m sorry if I read this wrong...but if kids miss layups, it’s coaching?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

That is a deflection. You can’t sit there and say Cox hasn’t made a bunch of mistakes. I think the number one mistake he made was the assistant coaches. What do they contribute? Sutton and Cox have no connections of any value it seems. If we are wrong on this assumption tell us what their strengths are to this program
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If the problem is Cox and or the staff, it won't matter how many openings we have....

We might get some talent in here, but how long will they stay?

Will this revolving door just repeat itself every year?'

Answers are needed, the sooner the better.

Again, if it's the coach, Thorr and Dooley will have to act, maybe sooner than they want to.

Revenue is likely to take a major hit next year. Money talks...that's why they finally had to get rid of Baron.

The program was imploding......and it looks like it's happening again.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Good.

Poll it up, then...if 100 people respond, I'll take the under at 30 no thankses...
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

That is a deflection. You can’t sit there and say Cox hasn’t made a bunch of mistakes. I think the number one mistake he made was the assistant coaches. What do they contribute? Sutton and Cox have no connections of any value it seems. If we are wrong on this assumption tell us what their strengths are to this program
The people on this board are really starting to scare me. What are you not understanding? Look at the pay we give our assistants compared to the schools we try to say we are in the same pool with. I'm not even taking about top echelon schools. Just schools that are consistent bubble teams.
Also, if you don't understand how not having a practice facility relates to the overall theme of our program then you haven't made it into this decade.
I get aggravated by the University's lack of commitment to the program from a monetary standpoint, and the inability for people on this board to understand that relevance is driving me nuts. I'm out for a while. Will go back to just reading again (not like my insight ever added much anyway).
For the record I agree with DC on layups. A10 kids should make layups in their sleep. That's not coaching, unless you think layup line for an hour a day is something a coach should waste time doing.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

So many damn excuses by a lot of people here. Did Hurley lose two full teams in two seasons due to the lack of a practice facility? Christ, even Baron didn’t.

New rules blah blah, it’s us and Wichita St, and no one else is close.

The pre game layup lines are just one indicator that something is weird here. What other team does that?

Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

B-b-but...'NBA waters'...!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

The people on this board are really starting to scare me. What are you not understanding? Look at the pay we give our assistants compared to the schools we try to say we are in the same pool with. I'm not even taking about top echelon schools. Just schools that are consistent bubble teams.
Also, if you don't understand how not having a practice facility relates to the overall theme of our program then you haven't made it into this decade.
I get aggravated by the University's lack of commitment to the program from a monetary standpoint, and the inability for people on this board to understand that relevance is driving me nuts. I'm out for a while. Will go back to just reading again (not like my insight ever added much anyway).
For the record I agree with DC on layups. A10 kids should make layups in their sleep. That's not coaching, unless you think layup line for an hour a day is something a coach should waste time doing.
So if you and DC say you can’t blame missed layups on the Coaching staff, then why is it that our team warms up drills are the worst, most unorganized, least structured, loaded with shots that players will likely not take in a game?
Our opponents such as Davidson, Dayton, PC, VCU, Saint Louis, UMASS, and I could name all the rest do NOT warm up as unproductively as we do.
Fatts takes shots froM half court, well behind the 3P line, fancy dunks, horsing around shots. Langevine and Dowtin went about their business in warm ups, Harris too but the rest Harlem Globetrotters.
So go ahead and blame the players and say Coaches have nothing to do with missed layups.

Our warm up drills disgust me. Never seen this at the Ryan Center before. I hear we run a tough show but then I see ineffective warm-ups and smh.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago So many damn excuses by a lot of people here. Did Hurley lose two full teams in two seasons due to the lack of a practice facility? Christ, even Baron didn’t.

New rules blah blah, it’s us and Wichita St, and no one else is close.

The pre game layup lines are just one indicator that something is weird here. What other team does that?

Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.
Davidson was the only team I’ve seen that doesn’t do it. It’s a show for just about every other team in America. Literally.