The Transfer Carousel - 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2020

Unread post by section(105) »

.......target transfers to complement Fatts, a do not waste this talents last year via building a potential tournament team for getting freshmen to bare fruit in 2-3 years......Coach may not have 2-3years......??
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Tate & Long were both serviceable A10 players but neither of them are "big" losses to me. I view this as an opportunity for Cox to scoop up a few players from the portal who at worst will give us exactly what Tate & Long gave and at best considerably upgrade out talent.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Shinze88 wrote: 4 years ago Tate & Long were both serviceable A10 players but neither of them are "big" losses to me. I view this as an opportunity for Cox to scoop up a few players from the portal who at worst will give us exactly what Tate & Long gave and at best considerably upgrade out talent.
That's the hope.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Shinze88 wrote: 4 years ago Tate & Long were both serviceable A10 players but neither of them are "big" losses to me. I view this as an opportunity for Cox to scoop up a few players from the portal who at worst will give us exactly what Tate & Long gave and at best considerably upgrade out talent.
Which is fine if that is what takes place. There are a lot of players in transfer portal, but that doesn’t mean they want to come to URI. Count me as one that would rather see Leggett and Berry get extra time on the floor even if we struggle with a younger group next year over getting a player like Gage who is an average player on a bad team who has had injury concerns with one year of eligibility. I do think we need probably 2 of the 4 players to be transfers, but would prefer either a shooter or an experienced bug from the transfer pool. Gage is not that in terms of 3 point shooting(46 percent was from a couple games). First thing is to land Berry. This is very important to us and although the Mitchell twins scare me, one of them is obviously very talented which is what we need. It would be nice to see something this week.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......wouldn’t ya think that there are players in or soon to be in the portal that would want to team up with a Fatts.....that also fit with the Cox plan to reload?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

I don’t really understand how we only want the twins because one is very good. Yes that is true but the lesser of the 2 can most certainly play basketball as well. It’s not like he is a Michael Tertsea. He was still a top 150 prospect in the country. We WANT/NEED both of them, they are very skilled and can contribute right away.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I don't understand why there is a good twin bad twin thing on the Mitchells on this board. The good one is a phenom for our level and the "bad" one is a tremendous prospect for our level.

The good/bad stuff is in connection with playing heavy minutes on a national title contender that also had a guy that was an all american at the forward position. Not exactly our situation. Jalen Smith on our roster? Top 5 national player in our front court already?

Please recognize that their presence here would be an awesome pull and something to be very excited about.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago I don’t really understand how we only want the twins because one is very good. Yes that is true but the lesser of the 2 can most certainly play basketball as well. It’s not like he is a Michael Tertsea. He was still a top 150 prospect in the country. We WANT/NEED both of them, they are very skilled and can contribute right away.
This is fair that he is certainly going to be better than Tertsea and would offer a big body off the bench that could be useful. I don’t think he is a Top 150 player, but the rankings can be useless as we see with Leggett and Berry. The question is as we have seen with so many others is Mitchell and his mom content to get 16-18 minutes a game or do they think they both will start?
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Unless we find someone who can play center, all the guards and wings in the world will mean nothing. Where have you gone, Jeff Kent?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Remember how Baron kept dead wood around for 4 years? Do you want this or a coach who keeps trying to upgrade talent? It doesn't bother me that players who realize that they are unlikely to start for a few years (or not at all) decide to leave. 99% of D1 players are athletes first and are willing to play at many different schools as long as they provide them with a better basketball opportunity. Successful basketball programs will always choose to upgrade their talent over showing loyalty to a current player. As the roster stands today, URI can dumb down their 2020-2021 schedule and strive to be a .500 program.
NCAAs or Bust!
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago Remember how Baron kept dead wood around for 4 years? Do you want this or a coach who keeps trying to upgrade talent? It doesn't bother me that players who realize that they are unlikely to start for a few years (or not at all) decide to leave. 99% of D1 players are athletes first and are willing to play at many different schools as long as they provide them with a better basketball opportunity. Successful basketball programs will always choose to upgrade their talent over showing loyalty to a current player. As the roster stands today, URI can dumb down their 2020-2021 schedule and strive to be a .500 program.
Strive to be .500 lol, cmon dawg.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

We NEED the Mitchell twins DESPERATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Forget all the other nonsense about recruits...........
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago We NEED the Mitchell twins DESPERATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!
It would be sooo huge.

It would be our biggest team ever maybe.

One of them is 6'10 and the other 6'9.

Jermaine Harris is already bigger than most guys in the A-10 right now.

JH will at the very least get incrementally better like he did his sophomore year. Walker will be better. Had a lot of good moments.

The Twins would bring us big time power 5 talent and size. Still have to prove they are actually good, but I know one of them had a 12 point game. Odds are that they'll be more than serviceable.

Then we know Toppin, Martin and Fatts are good.
Shep will at least be AAC all rookie team good. Very solid chance he will be better than that.
Then we just need Ish, Wood and whoever else to be serviceable.

Get it done!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago We NEED the Mitchell twins DESPERATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!
It would be sooo huge.

It would be our biggest team ever maybe.

One of them is 6'10 and the other 6'9.

Jermaine Harris is already bigger than most guys in the A-10 right now.

JH will at the very least get incrementally better like he did his sophomore year. Walker will be better. Had a lot of good moments.

The Twins would bring us big time power 5 talent and size. Still have to prove they are actually good, but I know one of them had a 12 point game. Odds are that they'll be more than serviceable.

Then we know Toppin, Martin and Fatts are good.
Shep will at least be AAC all rookie team good. Very solid chance he will be better than that.
Then we just need Ish, Wood and whoever else to be serviceable.

Get it done!
It would be such a change to have a front court that can play with the top teams.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

If with the NCAA going all Wild West, schools are picking transfers around a "big 2"/"big 3" like the NBA, Fatts is one of the X best players in college basketball going into next year (top 20? top 50?...) Does he have any friends from Philly in the transfer portal? Is there a great shooting wing who can space the floor opposite Martin whom would fit with this team like a glove and wants to play with a high end point like Fatts? Time to work through our staff but also knowing that our players can be the best recruiters for the Rhody program.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Without the transfer penalty it’s only a matter of time before the P5 schools start poaching players from lower programs...Actively reaching out on the down low to a Fatts! I can see it now. Hey son, want to go to the show,guaranteed! Our point guard just graduated and we have every other piece. Put your name in the portal and we have a starting position for you!!! There is too much money at stake for that not to happen and the scum at NCAA HQ to turn a blind eye to it!!
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

If I am reading this correct, mom basically wants both twins to be on the floor, together, a lot. Like, twin #2 better not lag behind twin #1 in the minutes dept much, else you are going to have a Maryland situation all over again.

So, if you want to make the deal, that's what you are going to have to promise mom, and I think, if you make that promise, you better stick with it and not try any funny business. Either commit, or don't commit. You saw Cooley give an "honest" answer, I'm guessing something along the lines of "Makhi is going to be a star, and we'll make sure Makhel gets quite a few minutes (off the bench) too" Annnnnnnnnnnt! X Wrong answer, coach. She went right on social media the next day and squashed that one.

So, if you want the twins, there better be no "JH treatment" for Makhel, like we have seen over this past year from certain posters, else that is going to be the shortest honeymoon in URI history.

Basically, Mahkel is the straight man, on the court, that feeds Makhi all those one liners. He's Ed McMahon to Johnny Carson. So, naturally, it's in their best interests to be on the court together as much as humanly possible. If they can't get that here, they'll find some place where they can.
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

The reason PC was out on the Twins was because they were targeting and did end up landing Croswell. At Maryland the twins both got less than 10 min a game. If Mekhi starts and plays maybe 30 min a game and Mekhel comes of the bench with 15-20 minutes I would think that would satisfy all party’s.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago Without the transfer penalty it’s only a matter of time before the P5 schools start poaching players from lower programs...Actively reaching out on the down low to a Fatts! I can see it now. Hey son, want to go to the show,guaranteed! Our point guard just graduated and we have every other piece. Put your name in the portal and we have a starting position for you!!! There is too much money at stake for that not to happen and the scum at NCAA HQ to turn a blind eye to it!!
You have a right to remain on guard, but Jesus if we are going to be actively worried about our best player being poached every year the misery is going to outweigh any on-court success! Looking at Fatts' attachment to the program and his growth with our 4-year players the past several years, I think his personality is to be the driver of the bus and this is his turn to do so. Why would he want to jump on as a mere passenger somewhere else at this late juncture?
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

:arrow: Sorry Fatts was meant to be a hypothetical example of what may happen scenario. Not specifically him. Also Ihave no inside information about anything.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......the more I read here, the less I want the package of baggage.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......the more I read here, the less I want the package of baggage.....
same

https://247sports.com/college/maryland/ ... 41262196_1
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......this also goes back to a phrase former college hoops coach , respected, George Raveling used to say at camps, years and years ago......’be careful of some kids that are running up and down the court with your paycheck in their pockets......’
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

With the twins, if they come here then that will likely be ANOTHER couple of transfers soon enough...…..

PASS. Many other players available without that baggage.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Sorry, don't shoot the messenger.

Mom is expecting these two are on the court at all times, just like in AAU ball. The main reason Makhi is so successful, is because he has his own personal ball caddy that shags down rebounds and loose balls and feeds them to him. It's not a bad frontcourt if the alternative is that you have no frontcourt to begin with. Someone at some level of Div 1 ball is going to agree to this and be delighted with what they get. I'm just saying, know what you are getting into to before you jump in with both feet.

I actually kind of side with the mom if the Terps coach misled them up front.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......maybe a Coach Pitino needs an assistant bench coach as well as players.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What happens if the twins come here and we get another big or two?

Not enough minutes to go around.

When you let the inmates run the asylum you have a problem.

Some here are saying those two are really good.

I don't see it. What if they aren't? Have to play them anyway or lose them?

Does Cox need that aggravation? He's got enough problems as it is.

There's no doubt that Fatts will play 35+ minutes a game next season, if he's here.

What's left for the other freshmen guards plus Sheppard? They will all be sharing the 2 spot except for those rare occasions Fatts sits.

There's very little chance that the twins will be on the court together for very long.

Get Berry and one of the other top big targets, along with a couple of transfers.

That's the best way to go.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Sorry, don't shoot the messenger.

Mom is expecting these two are on the court at all times, just like in AAU ball. The main reason Makhi is so successful, is because he has his own personal ball caddy that shags down rebounds and loose balls and feeds them to him. It's not a bad frontcourt if the alternative is that you have no frontcourt to begin with. Someone at some level of Div 1 ball is going to agree to this and be delighted with what they get. I'm just saying, know what you are getting into to before you jump in with both feet.

She expects them both to play. She knows one is better than the other. If they come here, they will both play 20+ minutes per game. They are better than JH.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This transfer circus is out of control and will soon get even worse with the elimination of the one year wait. Check out the recruiting sub forum on KeaneyBlue. 7 of the first 15 threads are retreads. Threads were initially started years ago when they were still in high school or prepping. They chose other colleges and are now years later back on the market after transferring. It is ridiculous. I personally hate where college basketball has generally been headed these last several years. The environment around the game I grew up to love is disappearing.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I think this off season is going to be very telling about us as a program moving forward. Not so much on the success level going forward, but more about what we are offering incoming freshman. Do we continue to preach the family type atmosphere where you will always have the ability to compete for playing time? Or do we start transitioning to a place where we will take the best players available at that time whether they fit our mold for student athletes? Is it possible to accomplish both?
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Take players who demand court time and then run them ragged playing defense so they are tugging on their shorts and want a breather. Do this and everyone will get their minutes and no one will complain about playing time.
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago What happens if the twins come here and we get another big or two?

Not enough minutes to go around.

When you let the inmates run the asylum you have a problem.

Some here are saying those two are really good.

I don't see it. What if they aren't? Have to play them anyway or lose them?

Does Cox need that aggravation? He's got enough problems as it is.

There's no doubt that Fatts will play 35+ minutes a game next season, if he's here.

What's left for the other freshmen guards plus Sheppard? They will all be sharing the 2 spot except for those rare occasions Fatts sits.

There's very little chance that the twins will be on the court together for very long.

Get Berry and one of the other top big targets, along with a couple of transfers.

That's the best way to go.
Bone we can't land one big now we are gonna land 3 or 4? If the twins come here it's their frontcourt until they leave. We can land two bigs with D1 experience and major upside. This is exactly what we need
Last edited by steveystuds06 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

She expects them both to play. She knows one is better than the other. If they come here, they will both play 20+ minutes per game. They are better than JH.
How much better?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Everybody plays by the same set of rules
As in everything in life, you just have to beat out the other 352 teams. The system is what it is
Cooley already signed 2 transfers last year, 2 this year, 2 freshmen, 1 injured Jimmy Nichols Jr returning - that's 7 new faces

Pitino very active right out of the box - travel restrictions stopping these guys?

Some will find ways to overcome, some will blame the system

There will be winners and losers and in-between
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

How much better?

I mean, it's impossible for them to be worse...
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

How much better?

That's not the point. Just because they are better you just take them?
Transfers like Iverson and Robinson were Top 50 level players. Hurley didn't look at them as being just better than what he had, he wanted the best he could possibly get
Mathews, Terrell, Robinson and Iverson were all legit Top 100 Players. Hassan Martin was in reality too and Hurley got a steal with Martin.

Thing BIG! We Do!

or just try to get a guy who is better :roll:
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Cal has feasted off the one and done market, so he doesn’t need to worry about transfers these days. Not a criticism: just a statement of fact.

When the NBA changes the rule to allow high schoolers/prep schoolers to enter the draft (and I think it’s when, not if), Cal will still have his choice of the best recruits, so he’ll be fine.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

How much better?

Transfers like Iverson and Robinson were Top 50 level players. Hurley didn't look at them as being just better than what he had, he wanted the best he could possibly get
Mathews, Terrell, Robinson and Iverson were all legit Top 100 Players. Hassan Martin was in reality too and Hurley got a steal with Martin.

Thing BIG! We Do!

Call me crazy, but I would like to get players who are better than the players we currently have.

How many players do we have a chance on who are better (or projected better) than these twins?
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thing BIG! We Do!

Call me crazy, but I would like to get players who are better than the players we currently have.

How many players do we have a chance on who are better (or projected better) than these twins?
I would hope so.

It's up to Cox. It will be interesting to see how these next 2 months play out. Gone are the days where we had our recruits already signed in November.

But shouldn't the goal to have the twins better than Langevine instead of better than JH? asking for a friend
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Of course but that’s irrelevant because Harris is the one playing on the team next year not Cyril.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

https://watchstadium.com/top-20-college ... 3-24-2020/

We are not mentioned with any of these Including Gage. WTF!!!!! there is a 7'3" guy on here why wouldn't we try?
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No. Harris is still in his position. It is Langevine who is being replaced.

I am referring to the level of talent that is needed just to keep the status quo. Saying Mitchell is better than Harris is ok

But that just means you get a player better than Harris

We need someone equal to or better than Langevine.

Russell
Harris
Martin
?? Dowtin Replacement
?? Langevine Replacement

Going to be very tough to replace those 2 guys.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

How much better?

Thing BIG! We Do!

The Mitchell twins were both top 100 recruits.

Makhi was the number 46 player and the "bad" one was ranked 93rd.

They will both play here. Plenty of minutes. They didnt get many minutes on the best team in the BIG as freshmen?

Since when have we ever brought two bigs like that in at the same time? Never.

It's so obviously worth the risk to me.

We cant be picky with bigs since we can never freaking get one ever. If these guys were both top 100 and 6'9 plus, then yes you take them. You are Rhode Island, bigs are historically averse to this place. Take these guys. They'll play! If they play well then everyone is happy!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......there is a Coach’s Show sked for April 8th.......even if not live at Dan’s Place, maybe a studio show could happen......maybe then Coach Cox can shed some light on the current situation and shed light on filling out the roster......for me, it is the absence of any info coming from the program......I don’t expect him to mention names, but something to hang my hat on......we hear nothing and then conclude there isn’t much going on.....I don’t that is the case......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Does one play on the wing? that would be ideal. Both starters with Fatts Martin Harris. That would be quite the draw.

Remember the brothers that transferred from NC State to Nevada? Worked for Nevada. Close the deal!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Where are they ranked #46 and #93?