[OFFICIAL] Hurley Signs Extension With URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: [UPDATE] Hurley Reportedly Signing Extension With URI

Unread post by Ramulous »

But this a URI fan board.....your bias directly rubs into everyone's face here........your act is growing old.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I heard every bit of the go local sports show on WEEI 103.7.

My take they were flat out running Hurley out of town 100%. Talked about replacing him with Walsh from RIC. No respect for Rhody, zero. Of course with WEEI carrying pc hoops belittling the competition is to be completely expected.

I am going to revel in the glory of a banged out Ryan Center rockin' every game night. The nightmare is coming projo friartown.

Get ready to be even more miserable.

I'll go to 98.5 for my sports talk from now on......how long before they sign Ordway?

Red Sox? Is this for real? What a smack down!!!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

seanmc94 wrote:So I have a bias...but everyone here is completely objective...RIGHT...
I can only speak for myself, but i don't care what you or any other fan of PC thinks about URI basketball. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. Maybe some people here value your opinion. To me, you are just an annoyance.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I hate 3 things in life.

Asparagus

NY Yankees

PC Friars

Biased???

Ha ha you betcha!!!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

hrstrat57 wrote:I heard every bit of the go local sports show on WEEI 103.7.

My take they were flat out running Hurley out of town 100%. Talked about replacing him with Walsh from RIC. No respect for Rhody, zero. Of course with WEEI carrying pc hoops belittling the competition is to be completely expected.

I am going to revel in the glory of a banged out Ryan Center rockin' every game night. The nightmare is coming projo friartown.

I'll go to 98.5 for my sports talk from now on......how long before they sign Ordway?

You need to clean your ears out. Both guys went on record saying they wanted him to stay b/c it was better for hoops in the state. Bob Walsh was not mentioned as a replacement candidate. Coen and O'Shea were floated as viable replacements. They also said you make the call to Ben Howland.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

On a positive note, I LOVE WILL MIDDLEBROOKS! 3 homers and almost a forth and a double!
This kid is special!
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

team is already very likeable. Play hard with some joy and passion
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:On a positive note, I LOVE WILL MIDDLEBROOKS! 3 homers and almost a forth and a double!
This kid is special!
We have some early season hope, nothing to complain about yet. Outstanding 4-2 start. Sawx on fire!

Back to hoops.

This fabricated "our coach is gone" buzz went a bit viral and national....could it help raise blue chip awareness further regarding Rhody? Sounds like a good thread topic......
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Iggy1979 (in response to seanmc94) wrote:Do me a favor:keep your analysis of Cordischi and Rooke to their reporting on PC, because you're built-in bias doesn't enable you to see theirs.
seanmc94 - I believe that Iggy's closing comment has also closed the dialogue between the two of you on this particular sub-topic. I for one do not understand why you continue to blather on.
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

Good game by Lester too. And Lackey's injury isn't serious
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Ramulous wrote:But this a URI fan board.....your bias directly rubs into everyone's face here........your act is growing old.....
Sean's ok don't know why any pc folks are interested in posting here but a little spin from the dark side is a good contrast I guess.....I kinda like it actually.....

Back on topic

WEEI is pc thus running Hurley outta down was good business.

projo is a down city paper 100% all about friartown.....

= agenda.

Ram fans need to have thick skins. Tune out the friartown noise.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sean has URI in his family. I don't have a problem with him.
If we all agreed, this place would be pretty boring.

On the Sox, I felt all along that Jackie Bradley was one of many guys who had a superb spring training
and weren't up to the hype when the bell rang.
There's nothing in his minor league history to indicate the superstar status the
insane Boston media was attributing to him.
He'll hopefully become a nice player. They need to let him breathe. They talked about his walk against
Sabathia like it was epic and never done before.
Middlebrooks and Bogaerts will be the future stars of the position players.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rodfromcranston wrote:Essam, they had an 8 page thread chortling about how Dan was gone and what
idiots we had on our board, me in particular.
I haven't posted there since December. So I went on and posted the link about Hurley's extention.
And said, "Aww, I guess most of you were wrong!"
At that point, some piece of garbage calling himself McPoop, called me a pathetic old man.
I called him McShit and said karma was a bitch.
Go look at the thread. If Sean say otherwise, he's a LIAR.
For all the nervous Nellies here, IF DAN SAID HE'S NOT INTERESTED
IN RUTGERS, HE'S NOT!
Who's going to offer him the job and negotiate terms, Chris Christie?
Give me a break. Some of you people are so negative.
Just want to make it clear that I am and have no idea of who McPoop is and feel confident that Rod is not calling me McShit!

Would love to know why McPoop calls himself that??????
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

As I said, Sean just annoys me. He's not like some of the others, such as creeps4life, who are morons, just annoying.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Why do they allow anyone with the handle "Crotchbutter" on a message board?
Amazing!
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Ben wrote:OK... So we've got multiple people saying that Hurley specifically said that he "is not interested" in the Rutgers job. A few other people are typing that Hurley dodged the question and/or never said that. Which is it?
Trust me. He didn't actually say that he wasn't interest. He answered the question by talking about the talent that URI has and how he's looking forward to URI becoming a top of the line program (or something to that affect).
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

MrRamsDen76 wrote:The next big hurdle with Dan Hurley will be when Jim Boeheim retires in a few years. Remember you heard it first.
Syracuse? I don't see it. I don't think he'd want to go to upstate New York in the middle of nowhere.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

scine20 wrote:
MrRamsDen76 wrote:The next big hurdle with Dan Hurley will be when Jim Boeheim retires in a few years. Remember you heard it first.
Syracuse? I don't see it. I don't think he'd want to go to upstate New York in the middle of nowhere.
You mean, like Bobby did?
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

hrstrat57 wrote:I heard every bit of the go local sports show on WEEI 103.7.

You should have turned to 98.5 a long time ago!! Unless you like listening to conservative political radio... God I can't stand those guys in the morning. A little too much hockey for my taste on the sports hub but that is my only complaint.
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
RhodeRule
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodeRule »

Let's see. URI has a coach other BCS programs would be interested in hiring. While pc, which is now in a mid-major conference, has some local coach BCS programs doesn't even know exists. And they look down on us? Funny.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

RhodeRule wrote:Let's see. URI has a coach other BCS programs would be interested in hiring. While pc, which is now in a mid-major conference, has some local coach BCS programs doesn't even know exists. And they look down on us? Funny.

Would not have to much respect for any bcs program if they did not know who either Dan Hurley or Ed Cooley was.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Regarding whether or not Hurley dodged the question about him talking to Rutgers if they came calling, it did seem that he didn't answer the question directly. Perhaps the reason isn't that he would in fact listen, but that he didn't want to trash the school he used to work for by saying that he wouldn't even listen to them. Nothing wrong with leaving that bridge unburned, imho. I think it's fine to talk about the positive points that are related to URI rather than focusing on the negative aspects of Rutgers when laying out the reasons why he is staying.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

twisted3829 wrote:slojo finally has a story....from Mike McDermott

http://news.providencejournal.com/sport ... sland.html
So the providence urinal did it's usual job of investigative reporting....They watched/listened to ESPN.
Good job. Keep paying your cable bill.
If it was a pc coach, they'd make a "tent city" on his front lawn until they found something out..
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

"Debbie Downer" alert:

If the Jim Harrick "leaving, then staying, then leaving" fiasco has done anything for me, it's made me skeptical about stuff like this. I'm obviously hopeful and somewhat reassured by some of what you guys are saying. But, part of me still can't trust that he won't go. Here's why...

1) Dan Hurley said someting to the effect of, "I'm looking forward to returning next year to improve on this season." He could still decide to leave next week and not have been lying when he said that. If he's privately interested in Rutgers, he's not going to tell us that. And, until he officially makes a deal with them, he has to still proceed as if he's staying here. Just in case something falls through with Rutgers. ...And, also to keep people like us off of his back. So, essentially, his thought process could be, "I'd like to go to Rutgers. But, until it becomes more of a real possibility or official, I need to keep my focus at URI, plan for he possbility of me staying there, and at least tell people that I'm planning on it (for the time being)." In this case, Dan Hurley saying, "I'm looking forward to returning to URI next year" is not a lie from a certain point of view.

2) We all knew that this guy wasn't likely to retire here. To go to what is (at the moment) a higher profile program right in New Jersey where he's from has to be tempting.

3) Good college coaches are all mercenaies for the most part. Unless you're Duke, UCLA, Kansas, UNC, etc... This is always a reality for you.

Sorry to rain on the parade. I honestly am not trying to stir the pot. I'm just being honest and sharing my feelings on this. This feels a little "Harricky" to me. I hope I'm wrong. And, I look forward to hearing something more official on the positive side for URI.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I was listening this morning on my way to my son's AAU tourney. The guy wouldn't let it die. Danny kept tallking about how he was loking forward to next year and how he can't wait to coach Buruta and the guy kept asking. I feel better after listening to that invterview that our coach is here for at least one more year.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I guess if you've been burned enough times, you can be skeptical about anyone. But, to me, he sound very upbeat in his interview this morning about returning to URI and the steps that are being taken to elevate the program.
Slava Ukraini!
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

Hurley is 100% here . End of conversation. Give the guy some credit for morals and values, he had these boys transfer here and he is going to stay true to his word to them.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Preston tweeted the ESPN link with "Dan Hurley plans to stay at URI" ...it's the first time anyone on the coaching staff or with the program has tweeted about it
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Why do they allow anyone with the handle "Crotchbutter" on a message board?
Amazing!

This could be a family name. I know a family with that name. Nice people. Just don't stand down-wind of them.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

What a great name to go thru life with.

If that's true, high school for the family Crotchbutter must have been fun.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

He came here as Brutus. All you need to know
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Ben wrote:"Debbie Downer" alert:

If the Jim Harrick "leaving, then staying, then leaving" fiasco has done anything for me, it's made me skeptical about stuff like this. I'm obviously hopeful and somewhat reassured by some of what you guys are saying. But, part of me still can't trust that he won't go. Here's why...

1) Dan Hurley said someting to the effect of, "I'm looking forward to returning next year to improve on this season." He could still decide to leave next week and not have been lying when he said that. If he's privately interested in Rutgers, he's not going to tell us that. And, until he officially makes a deal with them, he has to still proceed as if he's staying here. Just in case something falls through with Rutgers. ...And, also to keep people like us off of his back. So, essentially, his thought process could be, "I'd like to go to Rutgers. But, until it becomes more of a real possibility or official, I need to keep my focus at URI, plan for he possbility of me staying there, and at least tell people that I'm planning on it (for the time being)." In this case, Dan Hurley saying, "I'm looking forward to returning to URI next year" is not a lie from a certain point of view.

2) We all knew that this guy wasn't likely to retire here. To go to what is (at the moment) a higher profile program right in New Jersey where he's from has to be tempting.

3) Good college coaches are all mercenaies for the most part. Unless you're Duke, UCLA, Kansas, UNC, etc... This is always a reality for you.

Sorry to rain on the parade. I honestly am not trying to stir the pot. I'm just being honest and sharing my feelings on this. This feels a little "Harricky" to me. I hope I'm wrong. And, I look forward to hearing something more official on the positive side for URI.
Big difference between Jim Harrick and Hurley, I know as a PC fan I will take a lot of grief for saying I thought Harrick was a total sleezebag Hurley on the other hand I have a lot of respect for comes from a family with a lot of integrity. I am also one of the few PC fans who can see Hurley staying around for a while as long as they pay him on the same pay scale as some of the top mid majors once he starts having success. Seems to be a trend starting with a lot of the mid major coaches sticking around ( Stevens, Smart, Few) after having success.
Last edited by woodennickel1 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

The Crotchbutters of Newport. I think they're in the yogart industry.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sounds like a potential TV series.

On Adult Swim.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Before this gets away, I just wanted to remind everyone that the state aint paying for this. I'm not a fundraiser or anything but we need to give to this program to keep it going. We all love this program but face it the state won't help at all. Keep it in mind when you get heated about things. Be invested. Dan needs the funds to do what we all want to see done. Show support now so the administration hearts loud and clear.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Amen, TBR. Already starting to see crap like this on Twitter.

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the Projo story on the Hurley extension has been augmented significantly, now with quotes from both Thorr and Dan. Worth going through again for those quotes. Credit to KMac for getting them on record. It means a lot when so much of this story has been indirect through anonymous sources.

Here are some quotes:
"We're working on an extension and it's clear Dan is committed to staying at Rhode Island," Bjorn said. "We have been talking and we're getting close to finalizing some things that will move the program forward."

and

"We've had great talks that go back a long while and then again the last few days and I'm excited about the direction of this and the future of what the program can become," Hurley said.

"I have a lot of pride in being from New Jersey and a lot of respect for my past there, but I'm focused on the commitment we've made to the kids we've recruited and what we can do at Rhode Island."

Finally, a point I and others have been trying to make since even before this thread started...

URI staffers close to Hurley noted that the challenge of getting the Rams' program back on track has taken a great toll on the coach. Therefore, they could not see him signing up for what is a monstrous rebuilding job at Rutgers.

http://news.providencejournal.com/sport ... sland.html
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Whoa whoa... Additional years on a contract, especially when it's expected that the men's hoop program will really be ramped up by then, is not a big deal. Furthermore, it was reported last night that this extension is not a bump in salary for Hurley, but rather includes new language to guarantee certain upgrades to the program such as training and travel.

But hey, any idiot can tweet, right?
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Ben: I thought you just hated Baron. Now I have to question if you really want good things for URI
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

A good source for URI info is @BillKoch25 on twitter. ex.

Bill Koch ‏@BillKoch25 8h
#URI signee E.C. Matthews named to the Michigan Boys Basketball All-State Dream Team. #Rams #GoRhody http://www.usatodayhss.com/detroit/arti ... 3304070107

Bill Koch ‏@BillKoch25 7h
@RodfromCranston Pretty crowded backcourt next year as it stands now. Never hurts to add depth, but URI could likely use a big instead.

Bill Koch ‏@BillKoch25 10h
Hurley -- For me, my family loves Rhode Island. We've adjusted really well to living outside of New Jersey for the first time.' #URI #Rams
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Just sent the biggest donation I ever have to men's BB.

Figured that, since I can't go to enough games yet [until I retire] to justify season tix, that's the next best thing.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

This is all so good!
How can anyone read thise quotes and doubt that
all the ships are heading in the right direction.

Oh, and staff agrees, we need a shooter, likely a 2 guard to step in when
X leaves.
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Is the best way to donate just to make a standard donation on the supportrhody.com website? Or is there a direct way to donate to the men's bball program?
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Thanks for keeping us posted with the quotes, ATP. Hadn't checked the story and it's great to hear those words from DH and TB. Really thrilled with the way things seem to be working out.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

wakefield wrote:A good source for URI info is @BillKoch25 on twitter. ex.

Bill Koch ‏@BillKoch25 8h
#URI signee E.C. Matthews named to the Michigan Boys Basketball All-State Dream Team. #Rams #GoRhody http://www.usatodayhss.com/detroit/arti ... 3304070107

Bill Koch ‏@BillKoch25 7h
@RodfromCranston Pretty crowded backcourt next year as it stands now. Never hurts to add depth, but URI could likely use a big instead.

Bill Koch ‏@BillKoch25 10h
Hurley -- For me, my family loves Rhode Island. We've adjusted really well to living outside of New Jersey for the first time.' #URI #Rams
Bill is very good. His insight finds its way onto this board with some frequency.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yes, with great frequency. LOL!
We haven't always agreed, but he's alright in my book.
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

How can we support Hurley/Rams? How about a Keaney Blue t-shirt sold on e-bay for $15-$20? I will buy at least 3 shirts, we can sell the right to put our handle name on it.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

URI Athletic has auctions for used basketball shirts, shorts, jackets, etc.
Get ahold of Daryl Jasper, and he'll tell you when the next one will be.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rodfromcranston wrote:URI Athletic has auctions for used basketball shirts, shorts, jackets, etc.
Get ahold of Daryl Jasper, and he'll tell you when the next one will be.
They promo them big on gorhody.com and various URI-official social media accounts as well. I believe (don't quote me though) that Adam Schemm runs point on getting the word out.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchemm
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We got our man to stay so lets win and win big !!!