Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Fatts

Unread post by ramster »

PC Board with a thread on Russell too

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 145005792/
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No way Fatts leaves , expect him at URI next year baby !!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I very much hope this is just an ugly rumor emanating from a cryptic social media post, but it is nevertheless troublesome and scary. Scary is the thought of losing a great player and an all time URI great. Troublesome is the state of college basketball with all this transferring and especially frightening for the mid or lower majors. At this point we are getting about 500 transfers a year with the long time rule of having to sit out a year in effect, what will it be if the NCAA banishes that rule and allows players a 1 time transfer without having to sit out a year as a deterrent?

The season is barely done and we already have rumors of Fatts, Mekhi and Jacob leaving and Tyrese is clearly a high level talent that surely would be appealing to many schools, especially if it becomes a free agent type situation.

Guys like Fatts and others, who either flew under the radar or were evaluated incorrectly coming out of h.s. and landed at a mid major level can now showcase their talents at a lower level and if they are good enough or show promise they can move on at any time they want to what they may see as greener pastures. Let's face it, there are many guys that end up in the A 10 or similar level because they may not have received an offer or attention from a higher level, but also may have had dreams of playing on a bigger stage. Schools with bigger arenas, better facilities, more exposure and recognition, higher level of competition and better opportunity of not only making the tournament, but also making a run. Putting it that way, I guess it would be hard to blame a player, but it is still very disturbing for mid majors or lower. The power 5 and BE already swallow up the vast majority of highly rated players coming out of high school and prep , could they now begin basically recruiting at a lower college level for guys they missed on and players that now have a year or 2 of college experience under their belt? Will we and other similar schools now become feeders for the money schools, almost like a minor league grooming players for the the majors? It was never easy being a Rhody fan, especially with the high hopes and expectations I have anyway, and now it doesn't appear it will get any easier in the near future.

The NCAA, or cartel as Red correctly refers to it as, never has had a need for and basically a disdain for the schools outside the P-5 or in basketball also the BE. With the direction it seems we are headed, the NCAA may get its wish and there will only be around 75 "relevant" money schools.

I don't pretend to have any idea what is in Fatts mind, he may be very happy or he may be unhappy and have thoughts floating through his head about his future here. I just hope very deeply that his heart is in Kingston. His potential situation is an example of a looming issue for schools such as ours.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago I very much hope this is just an ugly rumor emanating from a cryptic social media post, but it is nevertheless troublesome and scary. Scary is the thought of losing a great player and an all time URI great. Troublesome is the state of college basketball with all this transferring and especially frightening for the mid or lower majors. At this point we are getting about 500 transfers a year with the long time rule of having to sit out a year in effect, what will it be if the NCAA banishes that rule and allows players a 1 time transfer without having to sit out a year as a deterrent?

The season is barely done and we already have rumors of Fatts, Mekhi and Jacob leaving and Tyrese is clearly a high level talent that surely would be appealing to many schools, especially if it becomes a free agent type situation.

Guys like Fatts and others, who either flew under the radar or were evaluated incorrectly coming out of h.s. and landed at a mid major level can now showcase their talents at a lower level and if they are good enough or show promise they can move on at any time they want to what they may see as greener pastures. Let's face it, there are many guys that end up in the A 10 or similar level because they may not have received an offer or attention from a higher level, but also may have had dreams of playing on a bigger stage. Schools with bigger arenas, better facilities, more exposure and recognition, higher level of competition and better opportunity of not only making the tournament, but also making a run. Putting it that way, I guess it would be hard to blame a player, but it is still very disturbing for mid majors or lower. The power 5 and BE already swallow up the vast majority of highly rated players coming out of high school and prep , could they now begin basically recruiting at a lower college level for guys they missed on and players that now have a year or 2 of college experience under their belt? Will we and other similar schools now become feeders for the money schools, almost like a minor league grooming players for the the majors? It was never easy being a Rhody fan, especially with the high hopes and expectations I have anyway, and now it doesn't appear it will get any easier in the near future.

The NCAA, or cartel as Red correctly refers to it as, never has had a need for and basically a disdain for the schools outside the P-5 or in basketball also the BE. With the direction it seems we are headed, the NCAA may get its wish and there will only be around 75 "relevant" money schools.

I don't pretend to have any idea what is in Fatts mind, he may be very happy or he may be unhappy and have thoughts floating through his head about his future here. I just hope very deeply that his heart is in Kingston. His potential situation is an example of a looming issue for schools such as ours.
It's a new game and no one here's going to stop it. Options are to leave it, or figger out how to play it. I think with this kind of movement, it'll open up a lot of positive possibilities for Rhody. Not worried about anyone leaving...if it's 'that easy' for them to leave, it'll be 'that easy' to get players here. Could be fun. Good time to double up on yer season tix ;)
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

It will be interesting what happens. Wait till these kids jump ship, and figure out their situation is worse than at their first stop. Or they switch from school A to school B and then the coach leaves. 208 is right; we can complain all we want and it's not going to change.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......maybe this potential ruling on transfers would pave the way for separation of the D1 programs into two the P5/BE grouping and then all others......would hate to see that for basketball, but.......follow the money.......?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago Reading the UConn message board is slightly concerning. TJ i hope you're right!!👍
Would Dan Hurley really fuck us over and steal our best player? I would be very surprised. The UCONN fans don’t know anything.

Would he seek it out? No probably not. But what would Hurley do if Fatts reached out to him? I highly doubt he would say no i cant take you. I just really hope this is over reacting. But you never know.
Agreed. If Fatts leaves and goes to Dan I get it. I just don't think Hurley is going behind our back and pushing Fatts to come there. I had two UCONN fans tell me Fatts is talking to UCONN and it's a done deal. I view that as complete bullshit.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago PC Board with a thread on Russell too

Started by a self admitted jackass that hates URI and likes to stir the pot.

If there is one good thing about the cancellation of the NCAA Tournament, it is the misery it likely has brought to that poster. He justly deserves it.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hate that this is even a thing!

We have no idea what the hell could be going on.

Usually logic does not persist through these situations.

We can survive losing Long, but losing Toppin or Fatts does not bode well for anything.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago

If there is one good thing about the cancellation of the NCAA Tournament, it is the misery it likely has brought to that poster. He justly deserves it.
Since yesterday I have received at least 5 or 6 calls/messages from friends that are PC fans and know my allegiance to URI just to "let me know of this rumor" and with apparent glee. Not all PC fans are like this, but I don't get it,I think if I were a PC fan with the way they finished the season I would be sulking and upset about the big east and national tournament being cancelled not worry about the possibility that such an irrelevant and inferior school could be losing their best player.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago

Since yesterday I have received at least 5 or 6 calls/messages from friends that are PC fans and know my allegiance to URI just to "let me know of this rumor" and with apparent glee. Not all PC fans are like this, but I don't get it,I think if I were a PC fan with the way they finished the season I would be sulking and upset about the big east and national tournament being cancelled not worry about the possibility that such an irrelevant and inferior school could be losing their best player.
If he left for UConn, theyd have to face him twice instead of once, I'd figure they wouldn't want that.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago If Nova gets mentioned I’d be worried.

Extremely doubtful imho Hurley steals Cox best player...and if uConn happened Russell would instantly become Johnny Damon. I have to think legacy means something to Fatts.
Comparing the Red Sox Yankees rivalry to Rhody UConn?

😂😂😂 not even close.

When was the last time we even played them?
Old grudges die hard.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago

Would Dan Hurley really fuck us over and steal our best player? I would be very surprised. The UCONN fans don’t know anything.

Would he seek it out? No probably not. But what would Hurley do if Fatts reached out to him? I highly doubt he would say no i cant take you. I just really hope this is over reacting. But you never know.
Agreed. If Fatts leaves and goes to Dan I get it. I just don't think Hurley is going behind our back and pushing Fatts to come there. I had two UCONN fans tell me Fatts is talking to UCONN and it's a done deal. I view that as complete bullshit.
If you dont think hurley would do that then you are nuts. He flat out lied to his team and it’s fan base. Uconn job was wrapped up way earlier than you think for him. If he thought it would help him win he would do it.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Here's one other thing the Cartel, awash in football TV money, will be able to offer: Above-the-table cash. As soon as more conferences and states allow college athletes to benefit from their likenesses and images, a Cartel school can say, "We'll let you have some or all of the sales of jerseys etc. with your name on them." As if the Cartel needed any more advantages.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It sounds like you need better friends
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Hate that this is even a thing!

We can survive losing Long, but losing Toppin or Fatts does not bode well for anything.
unlessss.....we get_______?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Beer?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

Beer?
Whiskey.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

There’s something to be said that Fatts posted that literally minutes after the games were cancelled.

Nobody staying in the same place uses “out” followed by a ✌🏼 Sign in the caption (unless he needs constant attention).

Posted before both Jeff and Cyril who are seniors and their college careers just ended.

Fatts seemed to have made up his mind about his next move a while ago.

Hopefully I’m wrong obviously, don’t want to think about a team without Fatts next year.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

Beer?
Whiskey.
for the horses. Water for the men.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago There’s something to be said that Fatts posted that literally minutes after the games were cancelled.

Nobody staying in the same place uses “out” followed by a ✌🏼 Sign in the caption (unless he needs constant attention).

Posted before both Jeff and Cyril who are seniors and their college careers just ended.

Fatts seemed to have made up his mind about his next move a while ago.

Hopefully I’m wrong obviously, don’t want to think about a team without Fatts next year.

Where and when did you get your degree in mind reading?
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

Cox was probably the only person in the country who maintained his confidence in FATTS throughout his ups/downs. If he spurns this staff, he would be dead to me.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Tjrams91 wrote: 4 years ago Cox was probably the only person in the country who maintained his confidence in FATTS throughout his ups/downs. If he spurns this staff, he would be dead to me.
If he goes anywhere else, no way in hell he’ll have the leeway that Cox gave him.
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

At this point he hasn’t called troll or explained so...

(And I have no doubt he’s following this thread)
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

As of today, this rumor has ZERO credence.

Could he leave? Possibly.

Will he? Doubtful.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't know if Russell is going to UCONN. What I do know is that his Instagram created a lot of discussion and no comments have been made to dispel any of the rumors going on. While some URI Fans say he would never leave, stranger things have happened around here. Sometimes where there is smoke there is fire.

So in summary of what we know:

1) Fatts puts out an Instagram saying "Uno Out". UNO is Spanish for One and Fatts wears Number 1. The picture Fatts sends out has him appearing dejected, sullen and looking down at the Ryan Center Floor
2) Rhody15 notices Cyril Langevine response "Reading into Cyril’s comment of “😳😳😳” makes it seem like Cyril is surprised at the post/caption" made by Fatts
3) Boneyard now has 152 posts in 7 pages for Fatts coming to UCONN https://the-boneyard.com/threads/2020-r ... 323/page-7
4) UCONN posters think a good chance Alterique Gilbert does not return creating an opening
5) PC Scout Board has 15 posts Fatts Russell to UCONN. One PC poster even says "I want Jacob Toppin". https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 145005792/
6) NCAA is likely to allow transferring with no sit out penalty for the 2020-21 season. More than likely Fatts could play immediately at UCONN
7) Fatts made 1st Team All A10 and All A10 Defensive Team - so he might consider a major goal accomplished
8) URI losing 2 key Senior Starters in Cyril Langevine and Jeff Dowtin - so maybe he thinks next year's team is not as good as this year's team
9) UCONN will be in the Big East next season. This could be exciting to Fatts
10) Hurley has a good relationship with Fatts. Hurley has a good team returning at UCONN and they played very well the last part of the season.
11) I have heard that Jeremy Sheppard is playing excellent basketball. Heard from a very reliable source at the URI UMASS Game that Sheppard is a solid, high P5 capable player. Reconfirmed what I have been hearing since his arrival here.
12)
Date Team Score Minutes FG 3P FT Points
Feb 11 at #6 Dayton L, 81-67 31 (7-18) (1-5) (4-7) 19 points
Feb 15 Saint Joseph's W, 73-55 38 (6-12) (3-6) (3-4) 18 points
Feb 22 at Davidson L, 77-75 43 (3-17) (2-6) (0-0) 8 points
Feb 26 at Fordham W, 76-75 31 (4-12) (2-6) (5-7) 15 points
Mar 1 Saint Louis L, 72-62 32 (5-16) (2-7) (5-7) 17 points
Mar 4 #3 Dayton L, 84-57 36 (2-13) (0-4) (5-6) 9 points
Mar 7 at MassachusettsW, 64-63 39 (3-12) (1-4) (4-5) 11 points

For URI's last 7 Games - Russells Performance:
  • We lost 4 of our last 7 games
  • 35.7 minutes per game
  • 30-100 FG for 30%
  • 11-38 3P for 28.9%
  • 26-36 FT for 72.2%
  • 13.9 Points per Game
ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago As of today, this rumor has ZERO credence.

Will he? Doubtful.
But Fatts himself started the rumor, just sayin
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Kids like attention. He has 12K followers. I doubt he Even reads half the shit
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Will he? Doubtful.
No, he didn’t. He is out this season. His post wasn’t directed at Rhody. He wouldn’t announce something like that minutes after the season was declared over without discussing it with Cox.

Come on people, use logic.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tjrams91 wrote: 4 years ago

Will he? Doubtful.
No, he didn’t. He is out this season. His post wasn’t directed at Rhody. He wouldn’t announce something like that minutes after the season was declared over without discussing it with Cox.

He said UNO OUT. That was then interpreted into thinking he might be leaving. And his picture did not look to be a happy one. That's what made people think what they are thinking.
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

He said UNO OUT. That was then interpreted into thinking he might be leaving. And his picture did not look to be a happy one. That's what made people think what they are thinking.
Less than an hour after everything was cancelled! Cmon man, please try and make sense. The team wasn’t even on the bus!!!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Thank you.

It was his spin on Mamba Out!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Less than an hour after everything was cancelled! Cmon man, please try and make sense. The team wasn’t even on the bus!!!
Oh stop.
He created the confusion. It got out there. And nobody cleared up the confusion until recently. And look at the responses on the Instagram to the UNO OUT comment. People were reading stuff into that immediately.

On top of that you now are about to have the immediately eligible concept - so rumors are going to be rampant more than ever. Need to be very careful with innuendo from what you post. College Basketball has been going downhill and this no sit out, immediately eligible rule is going to ruin College Basketball as we know it
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thank you for clarifying. Need to post it on the UCONN and PC Boards
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Oh stop.
He created the confusion. It got out there. And nobody cleared up the confusion until recently. And look at the responses on the Instagram to the UNO OUT comment. People were reading stuff into that immediately.

On top of that you now are about to have the immediately eligible concept - so rumors are going to be rampant more than ever. Need to be very careful with innuendo from what you post. College Basketball has been going downhill and this no sit out, immediately eligible rule is going to ruin College Basketball as we know it
I’m just not a gullible adult. Common sense ain’t so common.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Oh stop.

Started with the "one & done"

Really wish CBB & the NBA would work on something similar to MLB & NHL. Feel free to enter the draft out of HS but if you decide to go to college you atleast 2 if not 3 years.
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

This is so stupid on so many level like what are you people even thinking. Idk. I’m thinking many of you are “older” fans and don’t fully understand social media which is not your fault lol. And anyways, Fatts wanted to follow Hurley to Uconn when he left but Hurley told him to stay here and build a legacy.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Oh stop.

So players should now have to respond to and comment on every ridiculous rumor that gets started on social media or a message board? Players don't owe us that.
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Thanks Adam and Dev! COVID getting to people’s head!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It's not just here.
That Instagram started threads on the UCONN and PC Boards. It also got a bunch of comments on the Instagram thread itself.

Go to the root cause of why it became a runaway topic in the first place. with no Instagram message like that we are not even discussing this

Now back to CNN and Coronavirus
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

The root of it is no tournament.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago It's not just here.
That Instagram started threads on the UCONN and PC Boards. It also got a bunch of comments on the Instagram thread itself.

Go to the root cause of why it became a runaway topic in the first place. with no Instagram message like that we are not even discussing this
I honestly don't even know how to respond to this. It's one of the more ridiculous things I have heard someone say in quite some time, so I think I'll just bow out now.
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago It's not just here.

I honestly don't even know how to respond to this. It's one of the more ridiculous things I have heard someone say in quite some time, so I think I'll just bow out now.
I’m right behind ya. Pure lunacy.
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

He’s not going anywhere.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I think it’s pretty clever by Fatts actually.

I also think crazy to think he’s “out” at Rhody.

But he sure did a fun job of firing up the enemy fan chat forums.

(And yes uConn is the enemy - still! In our market and competing with us for everything even tho they’re afraid to meet us on the court)
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago
Rumors of a transfer to UCONN are false. -interesting wording
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago
Rumors of a transfer to UCONN are false. -interesting wording
BECAUSE THAT’S WHAT THE RUMOR WAS!!
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

We all have too much idle time now with no games to watch. I am one of those older fans who likes players sticking with a school and not bailing the first time things get difficult or always looking for a better opportunity instead of building a legacy at one school. That said, this is now the reality of the situation. There was some thought months ago that the NCAA would tighten up rules around entering the transfer portal, but with this no sit transfer rule seemingly about to be adopted, transfers will only increase.
My new attitude is it is what it is and I either need to live with it as a fan or watch a lot less college basketball. I’m really not sure which way I’ll go at this point, which is a shame, since I have followed college basketball for over 50 years.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Who is Jake Matteson?