2019-20 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2019-20 Bracketology

Unread post by RF1 »

The system is rigged for the 5-6 high profile conferences. No doubt about it. Far too much weight is given to who you play (which favors all teams in power conferences) and the quad record comparisons do not factor in where the games are actually played. The fix is in. It is a cartel.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

What ya look at that, Lunardi has dropped us to last four in, and PC higher than the last four byes.

Some people must be shocked here.
Last edited by Rhody15 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

When you're retired the last thing you want to see is your 401k taking a huge hit....if you're younger you can wait for the rebound.

Luckily I moved my savings to other areas a while ago...had to reduce the risks.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago The system is rigged for the 5-6 high profile conferences. No doubt about it. Far too much weight is given to who you play (which favors all teams in power conferences) and the quad record comparisons do not factor in where the games are actually played. The fix is in. It is a cartel.
....Well yea it’s about who you play???

What the hell would It be about? Overall record? Who you didn’t play?

I mean this whining about the “cartel” is so damn insufferable.

Did the “cartel” make us lose to Maryland, WVU, LSU?

Should the “cartel” forgive us for losing to fucking Brown?
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If URI loses to either St. Louis or UMass along with a loss to Dayton, it's bye bye time.

I know Capt. Obvious.

Margin for error is officially at ZERO.

Would have to make the A10 final otherwise.

Richmond is hanging by the same thread.

The team I'm worried about in the A10 tourney is St. Louis. Look at last year. Played 4 days in a row, they are equipped physically to do so.

We are not. At all.

The A10 is not getting 4 teams in, if someone other than the top 3 get the autobid.

And 3 ain't looking so hot either.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Rhody15 sounds a lot like someone else who used to show up and be a vocal “URI fan” when the outlook wasn’t great...
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago Rhody15 sounds a lot like someone else who used to show up and be a vocal “URI fan” when the outlook wasn’t great...

Check my posts and how long I’ve been registered. That should clear up whatever idiotic (and wrong) thoughts you’re having.

The constant whining about P6 teams potentially getting in over us is so damn annoying.

Nobody to blame for losing to Brown or Davidson except for us.
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We can't afford to lose to those teams, unless we have more big [read: Q1] wins. Have to take advantage of the few chances we get.

PC can afford to lose 4 Q4 games because they have the opportunity to win so many Q1 games.

Life if you're URI isn't fair. We play in a conference with too many shitty teams. PC doesn't.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago The system is rigged for the 5-6 high profile conferences. No doubt about it. Far too much weight is given to who you play (which favors all teams in power conferences) and the quad record comparisons do not factor in where the games are actually played. The fix is in. It is a cartel.
I mean I would say quads account for location of games over the old “Top 50” or “Top 100” system when you consider that a team must be top 75 to be a Q1/Q2 home game but 75-135 creates a quad 2 road game.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago What ya look at that, Lunardi has dropped us to last four in, and PC higher than the last four byes.

Some people must be shocked here.
Obviously PC is comfortably in after today’s win.

That doesn’t change what we need to do. PC took care of business and we can do the same exact thing. Step 1 is beating St Louis.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
class of 86
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by class of 86 »

But if we lose three but win three in the tournament.....are we in....if we finished like last year.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The problem is it gets down to winning. If the Big East were 5-20 in Q1 games during OOC play they’d be talking about 2-3 tournament teams, and a team like PC would have never had a prayer at making the tournament. But when the bottom teams in the BE have more Q1 wins than the entire A10 conference OOC, that’s the difference. After OOC play, DePaul was a borderline Top 25 team. That wasn’t the “cartel,” they had a good OOC resume. And that’s the worst team in the Big East.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Lose all 3 and we have zero shot unless win the A10 tourney...which could mean we would have to play 4 days in a row.

Not happening on this planet.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I understand all of the minutia of that, superfly.

The thing that I found ridiculous today was Villanova, the #12 team in the nation, rolling over and showing you their pink fluffy tummy today, with their legs up in the air. If I was the Rock, Dwayne Johnson, my eyebrow would have been two inches higher than the other one.

PC is that much better since URI played them?

I congratulate the Big East teams on wracking up a very impressive OOC record, as you said, but today was evidence plenty that the BE learned how to game the system a long time ago, with shuffling their teams around to get the max number of bids in.
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Nothing against PC because they have been great lately and winning at Villanova was really impressive. but when you’re a mid-major almost all of your quad 1 games are on the road. If URI had a shot playing a bunch of 20-30 NET teams at home, like you do in the big ten, I think they could go 500 against them this year. But all our quad 1 games were on the road this year, with the exception of Dayton who is arguably one of the best in the country. Road games at Maryland, West Virginia and Dayton are not easy games to win and why I take some exception with people getting after our quad 1 schedule. Not complaining, but giving perspective to the life of a mid-major - very little margin of error with your lack of ability to manage a quad 1 schedule to your benefit.
Last edited by bkoeppen 4 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I understand all of the minutia of that, superfly.

The thing that I found ridiculous today was Villanova, the #12 team in the nation, rolling over and showing you their pink fluffy tummy today, with their legs up in the air. If I was the Rock, Dwayne Johnson, my eyebrow would have been two inches higher than the other one.

I congratulate the Big East teams on wracking up a very impressive OOC record, as you said, but today was evidence plenty that the BE learned how to game the system a long time ago, with shuffling their teams around to get the max number of bids in.
Are you saying that Villanova lost on purpose?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I understand all of the minutia of that, superfly.

Villanova was 9-18 FTs for 50%, 5-30 on 3Ps for 16.7%. It seems they would have to be missing on purpose as the #12 Ranked Team?

Watching that game it looked like a much lower level of basketball skill than the A10 plays. Chalk it up as just an off day?
class of 86
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by class of 86 »

Oh please more friar deny-ers.........villa nova beats pc.....Pc beat villanova......Pc beat the hall....they lost to the hall....Pc beats butler butler best pc.....split with Creighton and st John's too.....sweep marquette.and Georgetown.....x and DePaul tbd.......o..somehow we are to believe that all this equals the idea that pc is a better team.....Florida beats them.........they beat texas.....I'll throw stony brook a bone.......uri beats pc....Pc beats stoneybrook.....that leaves the bulk of the ooc.......njit ..sacred heart and Merrimack on the win side..(home games)...northwestern,Charleston and long beach state on the loss side..(not home games)...what's wrong here Hendricken wasn't available?they'd have done better playing brown rather than this schedule....at least they'd have more home revenue...the pc media spin has got people believing that something about them has been proven...I disagree
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Villanova was 9-18 FTs for 50%, 5-30 on 3Ps for 16.7%. It seems they would have to be missing on purpose as the #12 Ranked Team?

Watching that game it looked like a much lower level of basketball skill than the A10 plays. Chalk it up as just an off day?
Do you think it was that, or, losing on purpose?
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago Nothing against PC because they have been great lately and winning at Villanova was really impressive. but when you’re a mid-major almost all of your quad 1 games are on the road. If URI had a shot playing a bunch of 20-30 NET teams at home, like you do in the big ten, I think they could go 500 against them this year. But all our quad 1 games were on the road this year, with the exception of Dayton who is arguably one of the best in the country. Road games at Maryland, West Virginia and Dayton are not easy games to win and why I take some exception with people getting after our quad 1 results. Not complaining, but giving perspective to the life of a mid-major - very little margin of error with your lack of ability to manage a quad 1 schedule to your benefit.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

class of 86 wrote: 4 years ago Oh please more friar deny-ers.........villa nova beats pc.....Pc beat villanova......Pc beat the hall....they lost to the hall....Pc beats butler butler best pc.....split with Creighton and st John's too.....sweep marquette.and Georgetown.....x and DePaul tbd.......o..somehow we are to believe that all this equals the idea that pc is a better team.....Florida beats them.........they beat texas.....I'll throw stony brook a bone.......uri beats pc....Pc beats stoneybrook.....that leaves the bulk of the ooc.......njit ..sacred heart and Merrimack on the win side..(home games)...northwestern,Charleston and long beach state on the loss side..(not home games)...what's wrong here Hendricken wasn't available?they'd have done better playing brown rather than this schedule....at least they'd have more home revenue...the pc media spin has got people believing that something about them has been proven...I disagree

What in gods name are you talking about
Go Rhody
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago Nothing against PC because they have been great lately and winning at Villanova was really impressive. but when you’re a mid-major almost all of your quad 1 games are on the road. If URI had a shot playing a bunch of 20-30 NET teams at home, like you do in the big ten, I think they could go 500 against them this year. But all our quad 1 games were on the road this year, with the exception of Dayton who is arguably one of the best in the country. Road games at Maryland, West Virginia and Dayton are not easy games to win and why I take some exception with people getting after our quad 1 schedule. Not complaining, but giving perspective to the life of a mid-major - very little margin of error with your lack of ability to manage a quad 1 schedule to your benefit.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Losing on purpose. They know PC needed this game to get off the bubble. The Big East Top Management said we need more BE teams in the Tournament. They know PC is getting a boost from the many KB Posters who are pulling for the this year but they felt Villanova needed to contribute to the Fryuzzz cause as well.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
class of 86 wrote: 4 years ago Oh please more friar deny-ers.........villa nova beats pc.....Pc beat villanova......Pc beat the hall....they lost to the hall....Pc beats butler butler best pc.....split with Creighton and st John's too.....sweep marquette.and Georgetown.....x and DePaul tbd.......o..somehow we are to believe that all this equals the idea that pc is a better team.....Florida beats them.........they beat texas.....I'll throw stony brook a bone.......uri beats pc....Pc beats stoneybrook.....that leaves the bulk of the ooc.......njit ..sacred heart and Merrimack on the win side..(home games)...northwestern,Charleston and long beach state on the loss side..(not home games)...what's wrong here Hendricken wasn't available?they'd have done better playing brown rather than this schedule....at least they'd have more home revenue...the pc media spin has got people believing that something about them has been proven...I disagree

What in gods name are you talking about
It was clear to this URI Fan. 100% agree with Class of 86. Well stated.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Have to agree with Ed on all the ugly comments

RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Losing on purpose. They know PC needed this game to get off the bubble. The Big East Top Management said we need more BE teams in the Tournament. They know PC is getting a boost from the many KB Posters who are pulling for the this year but they felt Villanova needed to contribute to the Fryuzzz cause as well.

you can't be serious. this might be right up there with your take on intentionally fouling up two at the end of the game so you don't lose on a three.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I am not into buying that Nova just rolled over they just played bad today and PC is playing tough right now nowhere how they played early in the season
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago

you can't be serious. this might be right up there with your take on intentionally fouling up two at the end of the game so you don't lose on a three.
Good grief

It’s a freakin joke

Relax

Go back to your officiating craze
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

We are now the second to last team in the field. We fell quite a bit since the Fordham game with all the bubble teams playing continuing to win. This is a must as in win we stay in the field for now and lose we are done.

RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I know people don’t like to talk PC, but look how far that win over Villanova carried them in the field. From last four in to safely in the field. We have two huge games that can do the same thing. I’m not sure losing either of these is an option any longer
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago

Good grief

It’s a freakin joke

Relax

Go back to your officiating craze

No can do. I promised I would refrain from discussing officiating. It’s offensive to those on this board that think momentum changing and pivotal bad calls only go against URI. 😫

On a side note...glad to read you were just joking. I’ll lighten up. :)
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago We are now the second to last team in the field. We fell quite a bit since the Fordham game with all the bubble teams playing continuing to win. This is a must as in win we stay in the field for now and lose we are done.

Disagree...could lose today, beat Dayton Weds, get to the A10T finals = in-ski.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Nevermind.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Notes on today’s games. Updated this morning

Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago Providence is about to cement their spot in the Dance. Let's hope we can we can say the same by next weekend. The script has flipped the last few weeks with us squarely on the bubble and PC going from no chance to dance to basically guaranteeing an at-large bid if they close out this game today. Crazy last 3 weeks
What script was flipped? We are still squarely in the brackets (I think 9 deep last check). The only thing is pc played itself in over other bubble teams who have lost.
Like I said sadly both teams trending in two different directions. Beating Dayton is the only chance we have left barring any miracle in Brooklyn.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Beating Dayton means we are still out. We need to win the conference tournament.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago Beating Dayton means we are still out. We need to win the conference tournament.
No fucking way lol a win over a top 4 team in the country is a big deal.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago Beating Dayton means we are still out. We need to win the conference tournament.
Yup it is. We are still out.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

Three scenarios:

1. We beat Dayton Wednesday, take care of business up to the A10 final and lose to the Flyers there. We get in.

2. We lose to Dayton, take care of business up to the A10 semis, maybe make the final, and get a nice seed in the NIT and go fairly deep.

3. The wheels fall off the cart and we collapse. Lose to Dayton and UMASS and then in the first A10 tournament game. We get a shitty NIT seed and crash out.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Of course all the bubble teams have lost today, a win would have put us safely safely in.
Go Rhody
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago
I disagree, definitely in if we beat the #3 team in the country and take care of Umass.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We’re not in unless we win it in Brooklyn.

This board has so many delusional people it’s nuts.
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody Sody wrote: 4 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago

I disagree, definitely in if we beat the #3 team in the country and take care of Umass.
Not going to happen. Let it go. It’s over. You really think they are going to beat Dayton-lol. Even if they do it’s not happening
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Probably of more relevance now, these sites make NIT bracket predictions:

https://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/

https://thebarkingcrow.com/nit-bracketology/
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

The cartel and Projo beat us today and made us miss all those shots.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago We’re not in unless we win it in Brooklyn.

I don’t think they’ll do it but winning Dayton and at UMass and a game in a10 and I bet they would be in. They are still squarely on the bubble
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Probably of more relevance now, these sites make NIT bracket predictions:

https://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/

https://thebarkingcrow.com/nit-bracketology/
I’ll be joining the students on any NIT game and sitting it out. Who cares if it is even Uconn. The game has no impact on anything of importance. It would be one thing if it was a team that had all young guys that improved after being 8-22, but another thing for an experienced team that looks to be worse next year. NIT means a complete failure
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago We’re not in unless we win it in Brooklyn.

I don’t think they’ll do it but winning Dayton and at UMass and a game in a10 and I bet they would be in. They are still squarely on the bubble
Our resume still lacks a signature win - we were going with the no bad losses theory (except Brown) and we still have that. Best Dayton and we are back in. I am not delusional enough to think we do that the way we are playing now. Need to be much better. I expect Fatts to be better Wednesday, he needs to break out of this mini slump and carry the team.
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

We are going to beat Dayton. I'm supremely confident...and also completely insane. But it's going to happen. We beat #3 Dayton and take care of UMass, and we're in. Who says it can't happen?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

mjg13x wrote: 4 years ago We are going to beat Dayton. I'm supremely confident...and also completely insane. But it's going to happen. We beat #3 Dayton and take care of UMass, and we're in. Who says it can't happen?
I am one of many that say it can’t and won’t happen. Sorry I can’t go off your supremely confident comment as enough evidence. For one they are no longer a good team and I’m not sure why people think we are in with wins over Dayton and Umass. Losing to St.Louis at home is not something a mid major can’t absorb down the stretch when fighting for a bid as the second to last in.