2019-20 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 2019-20 Bracketology

Unread post by reef »

Yeah that was a great article indeed and basically tells us where we stand as far as all the metrics
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago There is a path where Richmond wins out, we take care of everyone but Dayton, then it is Richmond-URI in the semifinal. By the day before the selection show, my hope is we are fairly certain both teams are in and it means nothing, but this game could also turn into "loser leaves town" if Richmond's numbers are closer to Rhody's by then...
I was thinking the same thing last night.

Dayton 1-seed
URI 2-seed
Richmond 3-seed
Saint Louis or anyone else 4-seed

Means URI or Richmond will play Dayton in Championship

If Richmond beats URI that gives URI 2 losses vs Richmond

Even if URI beats SLU, loses to Dayton, beats UMASS and wins Quarterfinal games but loses in Semi Final to Richmond my guess is only 2 from A10 go.

I think URI needs SLU, UMASS, Q-Final and Semi-Final wins to get in. A Tall Task but doable.
I agree with this assessment. I don’t think the A 10 gets three teams: not enough quad 1 opportunities in the league schedule, while the P5 schools have plenty. If a team like St Louis or Davidson gets hot and runs the table in the tournament, I think it could very well be just that team and Dayton in the dance.
If Richmond wins out and wins in the quarterfinal game I think they will be in the last teams in slot.

They have 3 quad 1 wins.

I think that is what we want to root for. Unless we are in "MUST WIN CONF TOURNEY" mode at that point. To play the strongest Richmond team possible in the semis would be best for us as it would be a quad 1 game and potential win over a tournament team.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Unless we finish 3-0, we need to go to A10 finals. Simple as that. We lose to Dayton next week, we cannot afford to lose to anyone again until A10 Finals.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Unless we finish 3-0, we need to go to A10 finals. Simple as that. We lose to Dayton next week, we cannot afford to lose to anyone again until A10 Finals.
........tall order, given our health status, going to UMess.......trying to stay positive, all starts a Sunday.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We need a boost of confidence similar to this.

https://www.wpri.com/sports/pc-embracin ... nova-game/
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Unless we finish 3-0, we need to go to A10 finals. Simple as that. We lose to Dayton next week, we cannot afford to lose to anyone again until A10 Finals.
........tall order, given our health status, going to UMess.......trying to stay positive, all starts a Sunday.....
You'd think that any combination of games that gets us to 23 wins should get us a bid, barring any multiple bid stealers from conference tournaments
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......oh those damn bid stealers from other conferences......given where we are now, the UMess game could redefine “must win....”......and if loss there, then running the table in Brooklyn is the only path .....no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Shinze88 wrote: 4 years ago
You'd think that any combination of games that gets us to 23 wins should get us a bid, barring any multiple bid stealers from conference tournaments
There doesnt really seem to be very many bird stealers this year. Of course there could be, but of the top mid majors, none of them have good tournament resume's.

Northern Iowa, Liberty, ETSU, UNC Greensboro have all lost too many bad games.

ETSU probably has the strongest resume out of the bunch.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It’s good that there are limited bid theft opportunities in the mid majors, but P5 teams can be bid stealers, too. You just never know how it will shake out. Maybe the only thing we can say with certainty is that the more games we win and the longer our season lasts, the better off we will be.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Lets not forget that we are still technically one of the hottest teams in the country winning 12/14 games with both losses on the road to #6 team dayton and a tough Davidson team.
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Lets not forget that we are still technically one of the hottest teams in the country winning 12/14 games with both losses on the road to #6 team dayton and a tough Davidson team.
Yeah, but we havent beaten anybody good since the VCU game here in RI and now they aren't even good. People look at that too.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

A few random notes:

1. Davidson has statistically been a top 20 team the last month (source below)...they're exactly 1 slot behind Dayton.

2. To simplify our tournament hopes: if we win all the games we will be favored in (H: STL, A: Umass; N: Quarterfinal N: Semifinal) and lose the games we'll be underdog (H: Dayton, N: final (if it's Dayton) then we'll dance
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

We had em and we let em off the hook
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

In the latest Bracketville update we're now fourth to last in and playing a Dayton play-in game against UCLA for the right to take on Michigan in Sacramento

https://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology/
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago In the latest Bracketville update we're now fourth to last in and playing a Dayton play-in game against UCLA for the right to take on Michigan in Sacramento

Would be cool to beat UCLA like the Bonnies did.

So long as we get in.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jerry Palm has us vs PC in a play in game...
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I feel like we'll probably avoid a play in game situation either way. If we win the games we should win we'll be pretty safely in, and unfortunately if we lose any of the games we should win I think we'll be pretty safely out. I guess the A10 tourney is the one wild card depending on matchups, but I am struggling to think of a scenario where we'd be right on the cut line once the remaining games have been played.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Jerry Palm has us vs PC in a play in game...
MUST WIN
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'd be really surprised if that happened, don't they try to avoid having teams play a rematch early in the tournament?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
I'd be really surprised if that happened, don't they try to avoid having teams play a rematch early in the tournament?
Pretty sure that’s only for the round of 64.
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I can't look at this stuff until Monday. Just win baby.
GO RAMS
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago In the latest Bracketville update we're now fourth to last in and playing a Dayton play-in game against UCLA for the right to take on Michigan in Sacramento

Would be cool to beat UCLA like the Bonnies did.

So long as we get in.
Would be cool not to have to play in the “play-in” game
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It would be good in a sense, but those play-in games count as full tournament units, and it also would set you up for a much better R32 game if you are fortunate to get there. So from a respect standpoint, a rest standpoint and from a probability of getting out of the R64 standpoint, it’s worse. From a potential to get to the second weekend it is at worst a wash and from a financial standpoint it is probably a plus. I’m truthfully not that worried about it, I just want to get there. Similar to how posters here say they just want to win the game and it doesn’t matter by 1 or by 30.
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago I can't look at this stuff until Monday. Just win baby.
100%
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

I'm with TP.

Doesnt matter how, so long as we make it. Anything less is almost devastating. Anything more is a huge bonus.

Just getting there, considering everything we have been through, would be more than enough.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Part of the reason we are on the bubble

GO RAMS
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Part of the reason we are on the bubble

As Micheal Ray Richardson once said, “the ship be sinking.”

After he said that, someone asked how bad it could get. His response? “Sky’s the limit.”
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

There doesnt really seem to be very many bird stealers this year. Of course there could be, but of the top mid majors, none of them have good tournament resume's.

ETSU has a win at LSU if I'm not mistaken. Plus SFA has it's win at Duke. Maybe somebody other than SDSU or Utah ST wins the Mountain West. Plenty of things can go wrong.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Part of the reason we are on the bubble

Thise VCU fans are a lot more supportive than we would be had we just lost 5 games in a row.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah amazing how they really fell off a cliff , nobody saw this coming
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago

ETSU has a win at LSU if I'm not mistaken. Plus SFA has it's win at Duke. Maybe somebody other than SDSU or Utah ST wins the Mountain West. Plenty of things can go wrong.
Dick Vitale had a segment during the Dayton Davidson ESPN2 Game Friday night whereby he ripped apart Purdue and how the NCAA has no business putting them in the Tournament with their bad record

He had a list of Mid Majors with excellent records that he felt. UCF more deserving

Included in the list from my memory
Northern Iowa
East Tennessee State
Liberty
Steven F Austin
And several others
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Dick Vitale had a segment during the Dayton Davidson ESPN2 Game Friday night whereby he ripped apart Purdue and how the NCAA has no business putting them in the Tournament with their bad record

He had a list of Mid Majors with excellent records that he felt. UCF more deserving

Northern Iowa
East Tennessee State
Liberty
Steven F Austin
And several others
To pair with their win at Duke, SFA has a home loss to NET #317 Texas A&M - Corpus Christi and played the 344th hardest schedule. SFA has a great win, a horrendous loss (worse than URI's Brown loss), and wins over nothing but cupcakes.

Not a chance they receive an at-large bid (this is more directed towards Dicky V and UCH).
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago

Northern Iowa
East Tennessee State
Liberty
Steven F Austin
And several others
To pair with their win at Duke, SFA has a home loss to NET #317 Texas A&M - Corpus Christi and played the 344th hardest schedule. SFA has a great win, a horrendous loss (worse than URI's Brown loss), and wins over nothing but cupcakes.

Not a chance they receive an at-large bid (this is more directed towards Dicky V and UCH).
Vitale had a list, didn’t mean he endorsed all the teams but he more just showed the list but he specifically mentioned ETSU and Liberty. His focus was on the great records these mid majors had with many having only 3 losses.

He was comparing them to Purdue who he said did not deserve to be in the Tournament. He was calling out the NCAA and said this would not be the only time he calls out Purdue in the coming days. He was saying how can you take a team with as many losses as Purdue has yet leave out so many mid majors with such tremendous records.

He was challenging Purdue’s high NET Ranking as well.

Vitale and the others on ESPN did significant positive promotion last night of Dayton, Obi Toppin, URI, the A10 in general and Mid Majors with strong records.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago

Northern Iowa
East Tennessee State
Liberty
Steven F Austin
And several others

You are probably right about SFA, but the larger point I was trying to make is that you cannot assume there will be no bid stealers. I think ETSU does have a solid chance as an at-large.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

One more thing: just my opinion, but I believe great wins outweigh bad losses in the eyes of the committee.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago One more thing: just my opinion, but I believe great wins outweigh bad losses in the eyes of the committee.
This isn’t good news for us if this is true unless we beat Dayton. ETSU is in great shape if they lose in their conference finals to a Furman or Greensboro as they are both very good teams. ETSU has a very good NET ranking
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Obvious nepotism hire Dan Gavitt has one job: Keep The Cartel pacified.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

PC up 12-3 at Villanova to start the game.
This team is well on the way to making the tourney, peaking at the right time. By far are most quality win of the season.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

20-17 PC with 3 minutes left in half

Pipkins and White have 17 of the 20 points - the 2 PC point guards really stepping up these last several games.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Providence is about to cement their spot in the Dance. Let's hope we can we can say the same by next weekend. The script has flipped the last few weeks with us squarely on the bubble and PC going from no chance to dance to basically guaranteeing an at-large bid if they close out this game today. Crazy last 3 weeks
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Lose to Dayton and it’s A10 finals or NIT for us.

I don’t see how we make it if we lose in the semis.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago Obvious nepotism hire Dan Gavitt has one job: Keep The Cartel pacified.
Have I heard that before? Or, did you make that up just now?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago One more thing: just my opinion, but I believe great wins outweigh bad losses in the eyes of the committee.
This isn’t good news for us if this is true unless we beat Dayton. ETSU is in great shape if they lose in their conference finals to a Furman or Greensboro as they are both very good teams. ETSU has a very good NET ranking
So, what you're saying is that there's no good news for us either way? If great wins are more important, we're lacking...if not having bad losses was more important, we'd be hosed there, too. That is not optimistic. Cheer up, if we don't lose again, we're definitely in, won't matter what anyone else does...keep eyes on the prize and take care o' bidness (see what I did there?).
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago Providence is about to cement their spot in the Dance. Let's hope we can we can say the same by next weekend. The script has flipped the last few weeks with us squarely on the bubble and PC going from no chance to dance to basically guaranteeing an at-large bid if they close out this game today. Crazy last 3 weeks
What script was flipped? We are still squarely in the brackets (I think 9 deep last check). The only thing is pc played itself in over other bubble teams who have lost.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago Providence is about to cement their spot in the Dance. Let's hope we can we can say the same by next weekend. The script has flipped the last few weeks with us squarely on the bubble and PC going from no chance to dance to basically guaranteeing an at-large bid if they close out this game today. Crazy last 3 weeks
What script was flipped? We are still squarely in the brackets (I think 9 deep last check). The only thing is pc played itself in over other bubble teams who have lost.
We are fighting for our tourney lives in every game from here on out. PC if they win today will have gone from nowhere near the field to only worrying about seeding from here on out.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Both teams seem to be trending in different directions.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

At this rate, PC is gonna jump right over us.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The sky is falling the sky is falling. We lost to Dayton and Davidson on the road. Those are the only losses in the last 14 games. I'll revisit if we lose to SLU which I don't expect.
Last edited by theblueram 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Simultaneously, PC doing so well does help us to an extent.

They're taking us with them a little bit.

Richmond is surviving off their win over Wisconsin a lot.

Just saying, if theres a bubble team we would want to start ascending then its them. It's not the most unfortunate thing.

Let's pick up another Q2 tomorrow.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Also, pc winning is making up for the VCU crapshow they are putting up.