2/22 | Davidson | 5:30PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/22 | Davidson | 5:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by bigappleram »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago I thought the calls were even. No advantage to either team.

We lost this game.
I usually think this way too but not in that game. The overwhelming majority of 50/50 calls went their way, some like the non call on JAG over the back or the erroneous back court violation came at critical moments that swing a game.
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

I rewatched the end of the game and OT. Walker really struggled, the offensive foul following the Martin rebound, than misses a shot where he wasn’t set and he isn’t the person you want shooting at that time period. Following that, he gives up a basket in the paint which I will say was a hard shot. I like Walker but Toppin gives us more upside and he will hit an open three.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

All referees call too many kicked ball plays. Many of the times a bad pass is made and it is off a defenders foot and the ref calls a kicked ball. The kick must be intentional. A pass that bounces off a foot is not a violation.
I do not remember which game it was but over the weekend there was play / scrum where 3 players were fighting for a loose ball and during the struggle the ball was bounced off the foot of one of the 3 players and a ref called it a kicked ball. Pitiful call.
Without looking at the replay of the Davidson kicked ball incident it looked like Tyrese dribbled it off his foot. It did not seem like he was upset about the call.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
NC_Ram wrote: 4 years ago This team had every opportunity to take over this game even with Fatts having an off night. The alley-oops, bigs shooting 3's ... the list goes on. We are an undisciplined team!
Jesus Christ...do we have an undisciplined 19-7 team or did we just have a bad night? You guys are such extremists.
Agreed. Can’t tell if it’s fair weather or that some fans just can’t handle a loss without criticizing the players, coach, and everything else.
Last edited by SandorClegane 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Also, basketball needs replay. It’s comical that we have ~100% of the game called by humans in 2020. These games are too important and have too much money at stake for subjective calls. I say the same for almost all sports and I’m a historic baseball junkie. Need to clean this up and find something that’s more consistent or can be challenged.
Calls outside of 2 min can greatly impact the game. Needs to be addressed.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago CL has improved in many ways and he is obviously a beast on the boards, high motor low post players are always a good thing. His passing/recognition has improved greatly, but yeah he's not great around the rim offensively. Like any other player in development, he has his strengths and his weaknesses. More of the former than the latter, so net gain, but not without room for improvement. CBB is a forum for players to improve their skills. CL was a fouling, turnover machine for almost two seasons, he has improved in those areas and has become a top A10 front court guy, it took some time, patience and work. He's put in the effort and it's much appreciated. Harris is in a similar situation, watch him bloom over the next couple of seasons. Mark my words.
at this point in his development, harris is no where near where CL was even in his early games as a freshman. I always felt CL did everything well, even his moves in the low post...kid just has a hard time finishing. But agree...he does so many other things at such a superior level (mainly defense without fouling, rebounding and endless energy) that I would take him on my team every day of the week. I will never question his heart.

maybe harris turns into something. he's got a long way to go.

At first, my impression was that Harris can move very well for a big man, and is an asset on the defensive end. I could not understand how the kid can have quick feet, but struggles on the offensive end. The more I watch him, I have come to believe his issue is the lack of lift that he has is the issue and really impacts his confidence and his rushing his shots. In high school it did not matter because he almost always was much taller than the competition,but at this level he is always facing people that jump better.

I talked myself into this rationale, then I saw Golden from Richmond play, and I am confused again. Why can't he be as
productive as Golden?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
NC_Ram wrote: 4 years ago This team had every opportunity to take over this game even with Fatts having an off night. The alley-oops, bigs shooting 3's ... the list goes on. We are an undisciplined team!
Jesus Christ...do we have an undisciplined 19-7 team or did we just have a bad night? You guys are such extremists.
Agreed. Can’t tell if it’s fair weather or that some fans just can’t handle a loss without criticizing the players, coach, and everything else.

Column A and Column B
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago All referees call too many kicked ball plays.
This is my favorite "kicked ball" call of all time...just happened last week.

If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago Also, basketball needs replay. It’s comical that we have ~100% of the game called by humans in 2020. These games are too important and have too much money at stake for subjective calls. I say the same for almost all sports and I’m a historic baseball junkie. Need to clean this up and find something that’s more consistent or can be challenged.
At the risk of disrupting momentum, refs should be able to go to the monitor at any time if the refs are in disagreement of a call. I think a coach should be able to request going to the monitor on plays such as out of bounds when the clock is already stopped. If you can't tell from the replay within, say 30 secs to a minute, then call stands. If you can go to a replay at any time to see if a foul is flagrant, then why not for other things?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago Also, basketball needs replay. It’s comical that we have ~100% of the game called by humans in 2020. These games are too important and have too much money at stake for subjective calls. I say the same for almost all sports and I’m a historic baseball junkie. Need to clean this up and find something that’s more consistent or can be challenged.
At the risk of disrupting momentum, refs should be able to go to the monitor at any time if the refs are in disagreement of a call. I think a coach should be able to request going to the monitor on plays such as out of bounds when the clock is already stopped. If you can't tell from the replay within, say 30 secs to a minute, then call stands. If you can go to a replay at any time to see if a foul is flagrant, then why not for other things?
Good idea -- in theory. Show me one replay that's taken less than 60 seconds.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bwerner10 wrote: 4 years ago I rewatched the end of the game and OT. Walker really struggled, the offensive foul following the Martin rebound, than misses a shot where he wasn’t set and he isn’t the person you want shooting at that time period. Following that, he gives up a basket in the paint which I will say was a hard shot. I like Walker but Toppin gives us more upside and he will hit an open three.
I rewatched it too.
The announcer early in the 2nd half said “Tyrese Martin is 6-9 Shooting, the rest of the URI Team is 6-27”.

Martin ended up 8-13 for as he only got 4 more shots after that going 2-4.

Why not feed the hot hand? Why do the guys obviously having worse shooting nights than Martin just keep launching?

We ended up as a team shooting a horrendous 26-73 for 35.6%.

Take away Martin’s 8-13 for 61.5% and the rest of the team went 18-60 for 30%.

Feed the hot hands. Don’t feed the cold hands.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........cause they all mostly have a green light to chuck......?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seems that way.

To some extent we reverted back to some of the bad practices of the Brown and Richmond games.

Some players were giving all the had on defense but others did not play defense with the same intensity we have seen during the 10 game win streak. It’s evident watching the replay.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

42 of those shots were taken by the Big 3 of Jeff, Fatts and Cyril. The issue is that trio only hit 12 of those shots. Therein lies the issue, if all 3 have an off night we aren’t going to win many games. Somewhat a shock we only lost by 2 with our 3 most important players all shooting so poorly.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And taking such a large quantity of shots.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ........cause they all mostly have a green light to chuck......?
Sounds like a bad James Bond 007 movie... "License to Chuck"

Coldfinger. nah nah nah nah nah. He's the man, the man laying bricks off the hoop...
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Our shot selection was pretty bad.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago And taking such a large quantity of shots.
You don't want our 3 best players taking the most shots? Most coaches do.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago And taking such a large quantity of shots.
You don't want our 3 best players taking the most shots? Most coaches do.
I’d prefer Tyrese taking more shots than Cyril, I may be in the minority with that though.
Go Rhody
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
bwerner10 wrote: 4 years ago I rewatched the end of the game and OT. Walker really struggled, the offensive foul following the Martin rebound, than misses a shot where he wasn’t set and he isn’t the person you want shooting at that time period. Following that, he gives up a basket in the paint which I will say was a hard shot. I like Walker but Toppin gives us more upside and he will hit an open three.
I rewatched it too.
The announcer early in the 2nd half said “Tyrese Martin is 6-9 Shooting, the rest of the URI Team is 6-27”.

Martin ended up 8-13 for as he only got 4 more shots after that going 2-4.

Why not feed the hot hand? Why do the guys obviously having worse shooting nights than Martin just keep launching?

We ended up as a team shooting a horrendous 26-73 for 35.6%.

Take away Martin’s 8-13 for 61.5% and the rest of the team went 18-60 for 30%.

Feed the hot hands. Don’t feed the cold hands.

because most of martin's points came off rebounds, loose balls, in transition, etc. i know he had a three, but i don't recall many jumpers in there.

all that said, i do agree in that i would much rather they set plays for martin and let cyril get his points the way martin was scoring.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Seems that way.

To some extent we reverted back to some of the bad practices of the Brown and Richmond games.

Some players were giving all the had on defense but others did not play defense with the same intensity we have seen during the 10 game win streak. It’s evident watching the replay.
Since that was evident to you on replay, then you must admit that the refs had a hand in the loss as well.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago I thought the calls were even. No advantage to either team.

We lost this game.
First of all, the officiating could have been slightly more bad in one direction or the other and we’d still have lost the game. Bad officiating and not playing well enough to win aren’t mutually exclusive.

Second of all, you’re never going to have a game where the calls go 75% against one team, so if a lopsided total is the criteria for whether or not the calls are even, I’m not sure you’ll ever be able to identify bad officiating. Timing and situation also matters. Refs could call a game dead even but if they blow an egregious call in a high leverage situation, that matters way more than what the cumulative total of calls is for either side.

Third of all, basketball is not an easy game to officiate. I did it a little bit while I was in grad school for some quick and easy money, so I can appreciate the speed at which some things happen and how it’s an inexact science. However, there is zero doubt that refs let different things impact calls - atmosphere, momentum, coaches or players working them on a specific thing that’s happening (how many possessions in a row can a coach complain the screener is not set before the ref calls it - whether it is actually there or not), using the whistle as a weapon against a player or coach who said something rude to you, etc. All those things impact how the game is called, but they shouldn’t. Whenever I see a terrible call that’s not actually that close to my naked eye at real speed, I can’t help but assume that one these things are at play.

I admit that it used to drive me nuts as a player, and even more so as a coach, and I definitely carry some of that suspicion and contempt into being a fan. But whether it’s incompetence or pettiness, when I see a bad call go against my team it makes me apoplectic - but that isn’t the same as blaming the call, or the refs in general, for a loss. In the Davidson game, URI didn’t make the plays it needed to win the game and it had plenty of opportunities for them. As a separate issue, I thought the officiating was poor regardless of the sum total of calls on either side.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RAM67 wrote: 4 years ago

Since that was evident to you on replay, then you must admit that the refs had a hand in the loss as well.
No. I did not think officiating was biased and i don’t think officiating cost us this game.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

No. I did not think officiating was biased and i don’t think officiating cost us this game.
I never said the officiating was biased, and I only stated that they had a hand in the loss, not that they cost us the game. If you cannot admit to 2 fairly obvious non calls in the goaltending, and over the back on Tyrese, both at critical points of the game, than you are just being stubborn.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I never said the officiating was biased, and I only stated that they had a hand in the loss, not that they cost us the game. If you cannot admit to 2 fairly obvious non calls in the goaltending, and over the back on Tyrese, both at critical points of the game, than you are just being stubborn.
Agree with you on the over the back on Tyrese.
I had read the last 2-3 sheets from the Davidson Message Board. Some thought it was an uncalled goal tend, but others who were sitting near the court with a good view of the goal tend said they thought the ball never got above the rim. Others watched the replay as they had taped the game and said the ball was below the rim.

Does anyone have a replay of the Davidson Game? I erased mine.

The ball off the Davidson player foot that Jeff Dowtin picked up in the backcourt I noted earlier and there was much discussion. In Davidson thread they admit it was off Carter’s foot. That was a key play that was incorrectly called.

https://davidsoncats.com/viewtopic.php? ... &start=120
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Does anyone have a replay? Rhodysurf?
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Does anyone have a replay? Rhodysurf?
I have it stored but a super busy work week is gunna keep me from being able to rip it right now, sorry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago
I have it stored but a super busy work week is gunna keep me from being able to rip it right now, sorry
Ok. Thanks.
Do you think eventually you will be able to rip it? Eventually I’d like to rewatch this particular game again. But I totally get the work part.

I’ll make sure to tape the remaining games and keep them.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Ok. Thanks.
Do you think eventually you will be able to rip it? Eventually I’d like to rewatch this particular game again. But I totally get the work part.

Yeah I plan to cuz I didnt even get to watch the whole game.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ok. Thanks.

Yeah I plan to cuz I didnt even get to watch the whole game.
Great. Thanks.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Even four days later, this loss still pisses me off.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wasn’t the missed goaltending call in the 1h ??