[OFFICIAL] Hurley Signs Extension With URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Re: And it begins.. Renewed Speculation of Dan Hurley to Rut

Unread post by sf2010 »

This board is going through the five stages of grieving, and we don't even have anything to grieve yet.
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I tweeted to him....You made a commitment to your players and URI. True character and intergrity will be seen!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One question I have. Some have questioned why Hurley would want to go into that mess. Shouldn't the next question be, why would Howland want to go into that mess?
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

If we were to get someone like Howland (and boy, is that a big IF), we could be ok.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Howland is very used to being in the center of the storm.
He's been under fire at UCLA, for having the audacity not to win
an NCAA championship.
Expectations will be less daunting at Rutgers. Plus, his big buyout makes money
not a huge issue.
Speaking of, I hope Thorr has a buyout clause in Hurley's contract.
It could go toward paying a new coach.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

My heart tells me that DH is staying because RU will be in no position to make a long-term commitment to a HC until the AD position is filled .... and by them it will be too late.
NCAAs or Bust!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Would Howland want to come to a depleted A10?
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I hope we get Howland. I also like the skinner idea that places him as Preston's top assistant. The players are not leaving. They already sat 1 year.

I like Preston in the head coaching spot, Skinner as top ass. and bring Tyson Wheeler back to the school also.

we get hurley to schedule us in the buyout-- if we have one? Same roster will take it to the Rutgers boys.

We all get caught up in the recruiting and think there is a future. The team coming back with E.C is something special. Capitalize!!!!!!!!!!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

Tom98 wrote:I tweeted to him....You made a commitment to your players and URI. True character and intergrity will be seen!
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. He made the same commitment to Wagner. He left after two years with no NCAAs, NITs, CBIs, CITs or Northeast Conference titles. Coaches make the same commitment everywhere they go...until it's time to move on. Please, just stop with the integrity pleas. It's the business they've chosen. You clearly have no concept of it.

And Rod, with friends like you, I'd hate to see my enemies. In the span of two days your tune has changed completely. It's pathetic. You've gone from 'Hurley is our savoir and would never leave' to 'Hurley is nowhere in the class of Jordan or Howland.'

In New Jersey, Hurley in 2013 is better than Howland and Jordan ever will be on name alone. They're both retreads. Howland hasn't been on the East Coast in almost a decade. Jordan has no college experience. One of the top sophomores in the country is at St. Benedict's right now -- Hurley will get him at Rutgers. He'll have the inside track on handfuls of talent including his father's best players now that Rutgers is a Big Ten job. He'll get a raise to three times what he's making at URI -- and stop right now before you talk about Mike Rice's salary. Rice was making about $150K at Robert Morris before Rutgers quadrupled his salary, and now they have a $30 million windfall thanks to the Big Ten. They can offer infinitely more than URI's $650K.

If Rutgers makes a serious offer -- which won't come until they have an AD -- Hurley will have to seriously consider it. Something like seven or eight years for $12-$16 million will be very hard to turn down for anyone, much less someone who is going back home.
Last edited by 3wisemen 11 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Can I smoke what 3 wise men is smokin? I love how opinion is fact. Classic
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

No Hurley, no EC Matthews.
Preston isn't ready, for the millionth time.
This BIG, we do.
Wiseman, you don't like me and I don't like you.
I've prefaced everything with "IF it's true".
I've put time and money into the Hurley Rams.
You don't like what I write, pass it by.
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Smokinjimit wrote:Can I smoke what 3 wise men is smokin? I love how opinion is fact. Classic
Okay, offer some original thought of your own. Let's hear what you have to say. I have no doubt it will be brilliant and insightful.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Jim has forgotten more about basketball than you know.
Gee, I recall some guy named Harrick who never even heard of URI, doing pretty damned well.
Oh, and Wiseguy, NOBODY has supported Dan Hurley more than I have.
On this board, in the stands, at events, or face to face.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

3wisemen wrote:
Tom98 wrote:I tweeted to him....You made a commitment to your players and URI. True character and intergrity will be seen!
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. He made the same commitment to Wagner. He left after two years with no NCAAs, NITs, CBIs, CITs or Northeast Conference titles. Coaches make the same commitment everywhere they go...until it's time to move on. Please, just stop with the integrity pleas. It's the business they've chosen. You clearly have no concept of it.

And Rod, with friends like you, I'd hate to see my enemies. In the span of two days your tune has changed completely. It's pathetic. You've gone from 'Hurley is our savoir and would never leave' to 'Hurley is nowhere in the class of Jordan or Howland.'

In New Jersey, Hurley in 2013 is better than Howland and Jordan ever will be on name alone. They're both retreads. Howland hasn't been on the East Coast in almost a decade. Jordan has no college experience. One of the top sophomores in the country is at St. Benedict's right now -- Hurley will get him at Rutgers. He'll have the inside track on handfuls of talent including his father's best players now that Rutgers is a Big Ten job. He'll get a raise to three times what he's making at URI -- and stop right now before you talk about Mike Rice's salary. Rice was making about $150K at Robert Morris before Rutgers quadrupled his salary, and now they have a $30 million windfall thanks to the Big Ten. They can offer infinitely more than URI's $650K.

If Rutgers makes a serious offer -- which won't come until they have an AD -- Hurley will have to seriously consider it. Something like seven or eight years for $12-$16 million will be very hard to turn down for anyone, much less someone who is going back home.
Rutgers has sucked forever. They have been in the Big East and that did shit for them. Save your breath for a new issue. Its Jersey. Half that Big 10 money is already doled out to someone other than a basketball coach.
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

That's revisionist history at its finest. Jim Harrick was fired and left UCLA in disgrace. He was borderline radioactive when URI hired him.
I never denied that you've supported Hurley, Rod. It's admirable. But you're using 'if' an awful lot in your most recent posts.
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Last edited by 3wisemen 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

Hurley staying! Signing an extension at URI
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

FUCK YES!!!!!!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Thank you Wiseman. Best news I've heard is a while.
Also confirms what I thought was a bad source said last night about
URI meeting the offer.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

scine20 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:my sources still say they'd be surprised if he left

but the silence is deafening and its safe to say at best a major struggle of loyalty is going on in private, at worse he is privately lobbying for the RU gig.

if its the latter this could go on for days or even weeks as it would seem RU needs an AD before they hire a coach. but how long could this public speculation go on before someone has to say something??

regardless of it being home and the Big 10, it would never make sense to leave URI now.

the last 3 coaches that have had success at URI went to Texas, Boston College and Univ of Georgia following Rhody. clearly winning here translates to career advancement, can the same be said for RU? NO. seems like the wrong place and wrong time for him, but those jersey roots run strong and may be too much for us to overcome. i hope not.
And two of those coaches I would bet anything wish that they never left (Penders and Harrick).
Penders made insane $$$ for his career. Harrick would have gotten serious sanctions if he stayed. Both had to leave .
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

Thorr deserves the credit, now let's get back to talking about hoops
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

Yes boys its time to do some day drinking. Hopefully there is a five million dollar buy out.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

1) The only way a contract extension really means anything is if there is a heavy buyout option. Steve Alford accepted a 10 year contract extension and a $240,000 annual raise from New Mexico just 10 days before accepting the position at UCLA. Most schools will assist in paying for the buyout, so the extension really means nothing in terms of him definitively staying unless the immediate buyout option is a tremendous number making it near impossible for him to leave.

2) I don't know if I would call Ben Howland a sexy hire these days. He basically burned LA to the ground. When you read stories about his lack of control, players intentionally injuring players, and drinking and doing drugs before practice (none of which were denied and which were confirmed by dozens of players), it's amazing there wasn't more outrage for him to be fired before this season (unless a Top 5 recruiting class kept the haters at bay).
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

With our local media members publicly making the case for URI Head coach Dan Hurley to leave, I wonder if they will make a similar case for Ricky Ledo to enter the NBA draft. After all, Ledo has always dreamed of playing in the NBA. He could hurt that prospect if he had a bad year at PC or got hurt. Furthermore, it is a given that Ricky has never cared much for school. Why go through the charade if he has no intent on graduating. Just wondering if Donaldson and Reynolds will write about this and make the case for him to go pro similar to the advice to leave they are giving Hurley. What do you think?
Last edited by RF1 11 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rodfromcranston wrote:No Hurley, no EC Matthews.
Preston isn't ready, for the millionth time.
This BIG, we do.
Wiseman, you don't like me and I don't like you.
I've prefaced everything with "IF it's true".
I've put time and money into the Hurley Rams.
You don't like what I write, pass it by.
No Hurley no Martin
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

WOOHOOO! Dan u tha man! Why didnt u just say you were gonna stay here lol
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

We can now move off the cliff. The state legislator and half the retirement homes. AKA friar nation are going to need that cliff for jumping.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And this, Rams fans, is how you negotiate to improve your program.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Nice job by Pete Thamel. While columnists in NJ and RI are speculating he finds out what's going on. As I said before Hurley staying is great for URI's image: he could've left for a bigger conference and more money but instead stayed!
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Disano saying extension should be reached by midweek, also says its about improving the program as a whole. I'm assuming a raise for the assistants and more money in the basketball budget
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:Thank you Wiseman. Best news I've heard is a while.
Also confirms what I thought was a bad source said last night about
URI meeting the offer.
It doesn't say anything about meeting the offer, especially since there wasn't an offer. I'm guessing there's a raise but Thamel mentions program improvements. It's important to Dan that the playing field be level with top programs in conference. Hard to compete in recruiting otherwise.
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Time to open up the checkbook and donate if this goes through!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

it sounds like what i said above, more money in the basketball budget yearly and more money for the assistants
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

No more buses to Philly. More private charters. Don't know about money for assistants.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

great news for Rhody nation no matter how you slice it.
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

twisted3829 wrote:Disano saying extension should be reached by midweek, also says its about improving the program as a whole. I'm assuming a raise for the assistants and more money in the basketball budget
I'm guessing he's using the Rutgers job and Shaka's package as leverage.
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

What I see is a Shaka Smart in the making.
What Hurley did was use Rutgers for leverage to build his program.
It looks like what he got were not so much for himself, but for moving the program
forward.
Notice the only negative voice since this came out is our PC poster superfly.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm guessing a nice well deserved bump for Thorr as well. Thorr needs a bump for sure. Rhody fans, show your support in dollars!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

So pumped for the future of Rhody basketball!!!!

All the credit in the world to Thorr and the rest of the athletic department for stepping up and making this happen! Love the attitude of the athletic department of doing whatever it takes to elevate the basketball program. The success of basketball at URI will trickle down to other sports at URI!

Now we can get back to focusing on the recruiting trail!

Oh, and Dan, please just buy a house already!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Please change name of thread: Hurley rejects Rutgers, stays at URI!
Credit to Dooley, too, who signed off on this.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:1) The only way a contract extension really means anything is if there is a heavy buyout option. Steve Alford accepted a 10 year contract extension and a $240,000 annual raise from New Mexico just 10 days before accepting the position at UCLA. Most schools will assist in paying for the buyout, so the extension really means nothing in terms of him definitively staying unless the immediate buyout option is a tremendous number making it near impossible for him to leave.
Generally, this is easier said than done. If you're a hot coach, then you have the leverage in the contract negotiations. From that perspective, you probably want your buyout to be as little as possible, so you don't limit your leverage when you do want to move on from your current job. Of course, the school wants as large a buyout as possible, so like anything else, I imagine the two sides will meet in the middle - Whatever Hurley's current buyout is, it probably gets upped a little, but in return, Hurley is probably going to get either more years or more cash, or both, in his contract.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Iggy1979 wrote:Please change name of thread: Hurley rejects Rutgers, stays at URI!
Credit to Dooley, too, who signed off on this.
I've modified the topic title so that people can stop having panic attacks, yes.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote: Notice the only negative voice since this came out is our PC poster superfly.
Because Rod, until the details come out this means absolutely zero. It could simply mean he is hedging his bets that say he doesn't get the Rutgers job or in the end declines their offer, he will have a better situation at URI for the future. There are several times in the past where coaches agree to these extensions, and within days or weeks or months, they are going somewhere else. I'm not going out of my way to make it up, Steve Alford just did it two weeks ago, so I wouldn't start doing cartwheels until the details of the extension are released, specifically a hefty buyout (which would really illustrate to me a clear indication of the willingness to stay), and if there is really no change in place pertaining to a buyout and just more years and some extra money, what really changed? It could still leave the door cracked.

There was no proof he was leaving in the first place, but I don't think this guarantees he stays either. But congrats, I hope your utopia ends up to true, and that the extension keeps him in place. I've always maintained PC and URI are both better off if the other is good.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 11 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Here is the problem I had with your post wiseman.
One you had Hurley gone and make 3 x what he made here. Then you had him recruiting a kid who is a sophomore in high school because his father coached him. Now all of that could happen but you started by saying FACT. That is the problem that I had. That is not a fact it was your opinion.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: [UPDATE] Hurley Reportedly Signing Extension With URI

Once more superfly, GET LOST!
Go tell everyone why Hurley should go to Rutgers.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Once more superfly, GET LOST!
Go tell everyone why Hurley should go to Rutgers.
That's funny Rod, since I've always said Hurley should stay at URI (and if you don't believe it, go read my board and yours). I have said that if they were to offer substantially more money, that he should at least consider it (since Rutgers might be a "cesspool" as you call it, but also a Big 10 program), but alas, you confuse one saying consider to meaning I think he should go to Rutgers and say FU to URI.

Short-term, URI is a better position since he has them at worst 2 years from seriously competing for an NCAA birth.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote: Notice the only negative voice since this came out is our PC poster superfly.
Because Rod, until the details come out this means absolutely zero. It could simply mean he is hedging his bets that say he doesn't get the Rutgers job or in the end declines their offer, he will have a better situation at URI for the future. There are several times in the past where coaches agree to these extensions, and within days or weeks or months, they are going somewhere else. I'm not going out of my way to make it up, Steve Alford just did it two weeks ago, so I wouldn't start doing cartwheels until the details of the extension are released, specifically a hefty buyout (which would really illustrate to me a clear indication of the willingness to stay), and if there is really no change in place pertaining to a buyout and just more years and some extra money, what really changed? It could still leave the door cracked.

There was no proof he was leaving in the first place, but I don't think this guarantees he stays either. But congrats, I hope your utopia ends up to true, and that the extension keeps him in place. I've always maintained PC and URI are both better off if the other is good.
Better go check on Ledo. Gonna need him :lol:
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A contract extension is not a rock solid guarantee that he might not go to Rutgers. It however makes it far less likely. Hurley would look really bad if he left URI after just one year and right after he signed a contract extension. He would be the ultimate mercenary and his reputation would take a big hit. If this gets signed, the chances he stays greatly increase.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote:A contract extension is not a rock solid guarantee that he might not go to Rutgers. It however makes it far less likely. Hurley would look really bad if he left URI after just one year and right after he signed a contract extension. He would be the ultimate mercenary and his reputation would take a big hit. If this gets signed, the chances he stays greatly increase.
For saying that, you must be a PC fan!!!!!!!! :D

In all seriousness, agree 100%, and that was all I was trying to say.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Oh give me a fucking break!
Stop trying to rain on our parade.
Take the Eyore act somewhere else!
What this means is, FINALLY URI is serious about
winning by more than just hiring a coach.