2/11 | Dayton | 7:30PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Re: 2/11 | Dayton | 7:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

Also, RI in the 2nd half almost never got the ball into the low post. I saw the ball go into the low post maybe 3 times. IMO, RI should have fed the post much more. The 3 times they did feed the post, I think they scored all 3 times.

Maybe it was slightly more than 3 times, but still, not nearly enough. Go at Toppin much more and get him in foul trouble and get him out of the game.

Just playing devil's advocate.
Last edited by daytonflyerfan 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago I'm still not sure I understand why Fatts got a tech taking the knee to the head.
I didnt see who it was from Dayton that came flying in like it was a fumble, but Fatts pushes his leg away after, the kid kicks him, and both T'd. Did I miss something on that interaction?
Fatts dove for the ball and Landers threw himself on Fatts and I think that’s where he got the cut. Chatman threw himself on Fatts also and after Landers got called for the common foul, Fatts pushed Chatman’s leg off him. Chatman kicked Fatts in retaliation. Did not think what Fatts did deserved a T. Chatman deserved it. Refs were whistle happy tonight
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

luke wrote: 4 years ago What was that ? Who were those guys kin blue ? They looked totally frightened to start the game . They were tighter than a drum . Was it
nerves ? I don't know but they looked intimidated , completely lacking in confidence , just throwing up shots like earlier in the season . I hope they got
it all out of their systems because they can't go into the NCAA tournament playing like that without embarrassing themselves . They did not look like the same players I watched play their last five games . Dayton is talented, but they didn't even need to play one of their better games to win the way URI
was playing . Very surprised by their performance . Hope it doesn't carry over to the St. Joes game and the St.Louis game because if it does they will ruin their chance to still have a special season and perhaps deliver a payback on March 4 . We are still with you guys Jeff and Fatts et al . Looking forward to better days ahead.
It seemed like the moment was too big for them at the start, and then Dayton got on a little role, we got tight and as Shane Falco said, it became quicksand.
Last edited by RIFan 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Game was over in the first 4 mins.

If we’re honest game was over Sunday. They weren’t ready. They were too tight. The no press availability should’ve been indicative of that.

Embarrassing performance but at the end of the day it’s a Q1 loss.

We all knew this was a game we could lose. And we did. But now you really can’t afford a loss to anyone not named Dayton the rest of the way.

Burn the tape. Loosen up. Take it to joes on Saturday.
oh my god dude, drop the fucking press bullshit. So you’re telling me they would’ve played different if they could’ve spoke to Kate Roberson, Nick Coit and Bill Koch.

Jesus Christ, go to bed.

WE JUST LOST TO A BETTER FUCKING TEAM!

Straight up.

Dayton is good enough to be #2. They are built and play like a final four team.

My god man, just log off for a minute, and I’m saying this because I love ya man.

I know your just venting and doing what you do whenever we lose or you feel like we were embarrassed, but we are OK.
I don’t even feel like I’m venting? You seem way more disturbed than I do.

You don’t need to tell me about losing to a better team - I’m a URI fan. We lose to better teams a lot. I have a black belt in watching this team lose. Which is why I’m not putting stock into anything we saw on the floor tonight or using it as an indictment against this season as a whole, or our goals.

I’ve been the same after similar type losses throughout the years. This was a game we could afford to lose, and we did.

That said, in all my time around the team I don’t remember us not doing press of any kind before a game - specifically a big game. It could be a big deal, it could be nothing.

But it is something different. It was a change in our approach no matter how minor you think it was.

I disagree that it’s minor because it’s a departure from the “business as usual” and “win the next game” approach we had every game on this win streak.

The coaching staff made a change to the outside world - that’s my main window into the team. I don’t know what they changed or didn’t change in practice this week, but I know that was different.

Again - I’m not apoplectic because I don’t think this loss hurts us, it just didn’t help us. I also don’t think this means the season is over. It was a noticeable difference in a game that opened up the worst of any game I’ve ever seen uri play. Literally ever. I’ve never seen us go down 17-0. I think it’s noteworthy to point out anything that changed in the preparation leading up to that.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Nice low key dig @ Fatts from Koch tonight with this tweet.

Fatts scores 19, and obviously lost.

Who in their right mind puts the number 19 instead of the more logical 20?

Oh yea I’m sure it’s just a coincidence.

There is also not one player who averages 19 points
Per game in conference who plays on a losing team, so I wonder where he got that number from.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rhody15 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Let’s try something different:

Can anyone tell me anything we did well or anyone that played well tonight?

Free throws? Defense? Shooting? Subs? Layups? Transition? Taking care of the ball?

Burn this tape. Worst game in a year.
What drove me nuts was the lack of calling a timeout to even attempt to stop the bleeding during one of their runs. With 8 and change left in the game we were down 23 and still somehow had three timeouts left. Everything was bad tonight from the coaching down. Just hope the loss doesn't drop us too far in the metrics and start over Saturday
Fortunately I think we backdoored our way into avoiding a metric meltdown. The worse thing will be eye test - how many people checked out of the game when we were getting buried? If this was a competitive game that we lost by 14 and Dayton won going away, it would not have potentially damaged our at-large portfolio from an eye test perspective but the way we started the game was a killer.

It makes it vital to play them even when they come here, and really we better win that game. I think we can if we don’t spot them 17 points. We won the last 35 minutes or whatever of the game, not that that means anything other than our players and coaches should come away knowing if they play a full game they can beat this team, and the chances of us coming out so flat and them coming out so on fire in our place are significantly lower.

I’ve harped on the “play a full game thing” repeatedly, and those five minute lapses have been dangerous the whole time. That it came to open the game tonight makes it weirder and more noticeable but it’s the same danger of just disappearing for stretches that I’ve been worrying about for a while.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Nice low key dig @ Fatts from Koch tonight with this tweet.

Highly doubt it’s a dig at Fatts. Jeez why is everyone so sensitive tonight?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

We were shell shocked after the horrendous start and it affected our game the rest of the night. It set the tone for the whole game and they couldn’t get out of it. You could clearly see guys pointing fingers at each other and the lack of cohesiveness as a team. Dayton got in their heads after making their first 4 shots. If we score 5-6 points during their 17 point start, I think it’s a different game. Kind of surprised it wasn’t more than a 14 point loss.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Nice low key dig @ Fatts from Koch tonight with this tweet.

There is no player in conference who averages 19 and plays for a losing team. The only player who averages 19 is Obi.

So please tell me where he magically got that number from.
Go Rhody
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Hard to believe it’s a coincidence. Throw out an arbitrary number and it just happens to be the point total of the best player of the losing team? If that is pure luck, he should play the lottery tonight.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago

Free throws? Defense? Shooting? Subs? Layups? Transition? Taking care of the ball?

What drove me nuts was the lack of calling a timeout to even attempt to stop the bleeding during one of their runs. With 8 and change left in the game we were down 23 and still somehow had three timeouts left. Everything was bad tonight from the coaching down. Just hope the loss doesn't drop us too far in the metrics and start over Saturday
Fortunately I think we backdoored our way into avoiding a metric meltdown. The worse thing will be eye test - how many people checked out of the game when we were getting buried? If this was a competitive game that we lost by 14 and Dayton won going away, it would not have potentially damaged our at-large portfolio from an eye test perspective but the way we started the game was a killer.

It makes it vital to play them even when they come here, and really we better win that game. I think we can if we don’t spot them 17 points. We won the last 35 minutes or whatever of the game, not that that means anything other than our players and coaches should come away knowing if they play a full game they can beat this team, and the chances of us coming out so flat and then coming out so on fire in our place are significantly lower.

I’ve harped on the “play a full game thing” repeatedly, and those five minute lapses have been dangerous the whole time. That it came to open the game tonight makes it weirder and more noticeable but it’s the same danger of just disappearing for stretches that I’ve been worrying about for a while.
Didn’t help that our hottest player left the game with a gash on forehead.
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Game was over in the first 4 mins.

If we’re honest game was over Sunday. They weren’t ready. They were too tight. The no press availability should’ve been indicative of that.

Embarrassing performance but at the end of the day it’s a Q1 loss.

We all knew this was a game we could lose. And we did. But now you really can’t afford a loss to anyone not named Dayton the rest of the way.

Burn the tape. Loosen up. Take it to joes on Saturday.
oh my god dude, drop the fucking press bullshit. So you’re telling me they would’ve played different if they could’ve spoke to Kate Roberson, Nick Coit and Bill Koch.

Jesus Christ, go to bed.

WE JUST LOST TO A BETTER FUCKING TEAM!

Straight up.

Dayton is good enough to be #2. They are built and play like a final four team.

My god man, just log off for a minute, and I’m saying this because I love ya man.

I know your just venting and doing what you do whenever we lose or you feel like we were embarrassed, but we are OK.
I don’t even feel like I’m venting? You seem way more disturbed than I do.

You don’t need to tell me about losing to a better team - I’m a URI fan. We lose to better teams a lot. I have a black belt in watching this team lose. Which is why I’m not putting stock into anything we saw on the floor tonight or using it as an indictment against this season as a whole, or our goals.

I’ve been the same after similar type losses throughout the years. This was a game we could afford to lose, and we did.

That said, in all my time around the team I don’t remember us not doing press of any kind before a game - specifically a big game. It could be a big deal, it could be nothing.

But it is something different. It was a change in our approach no matter how minor you think it was.

I disagree that it’s minor because it’s a departure from the “business as usual” and “win the next game” approach we had every game on this win streak.

The coaching staff made a change to the outside world - that’s my main window into the team. I don’t know what they changed or didn’t change in practice this week, but I know that was different.

Again - I’m not apoplectic because I don’t think this loss hurts us, it just didn’t help us. I also don’t think this means the season is over. It was a noticeable difference in a game that opened up the worst of any game I’ve ever seen uri play. Literally ever. I’ve never seen us go down 17-0. I think it’s noteworthy to point out anything that changed in the preparation leading up to that.
I feel like our guy is responding to an anticipated meltdown that is not actually materializing, like a ref calling a foul when he anticipates contact that never comes. It’s like he’s yelling at the top of his lungs for everyone to calm down to a room full of people staring at the floor shrugging their shoulders.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody22 wrote: 4 years ago

Hard to believe it’s a coincidence. Throw out an arbitrary number and it just happens to be the point total of the best player of the losing team? If that is pure luck, he should play the lottery tonight.
Thank you.
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Per game in conference who plays on a losing team, so I wonder where he got that number from.
Seems like a coincidence

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

There is no player in conference who averages 19 and plays for a losing team. The only player who averages 19 is Obi.

So please tell me where he magically got that number from.
He got it from right after 18 and right before 20.

Holy hell how am I the one clinging to sanity tonight?

Give to Rhody's NIL
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhody22 wrote: 4 years ago We were shell shocked after the horrendous start and it affected our game the rest of the night. It set the tone for the whole game and they couldn’t get out of it. You could clearly see guys pointing fingers at each other and the lack of cohesiveness as a team. Dayton got in their heads after making their first 4 shots. If we score 5-6 points during their 17 point start, I think it’s a different game. Kind of surprised it wasn’t more than a 14 point loss.
To me, it was more than a 14 point loss. Anything that resembled a game ended with Dayton up by about 19 with about six minutes left. Mostly garbage time after that.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

I have nothing against Bill, but if that was pure coincidence, he should’ve done his homework first. 19 is a very odd number to throw out there. Could he be covering is a$$ now?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago

Seems like a coincidence

Very clear. It was not meant the way some are taking it.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody22 wrote: 4 years ago I have nothing against Bill, but if that was pure coincidence, he should’ve done his homework first. 19 is a very odd number to throw out there. Could he be covering is a$$ now?
Idk. Seemed like a weird coincidence to me too, but if he says it wasn’t intended that way I’m inclined to believe him. Also, who cares? Moving on.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

19 seems like a pretty average # for a great player on a bad team. Probably why he chose it. Obviously Fatts is not that guy.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody22 wrote: 4 years ago We were shell shocked after the horrendous start and it affected our game the rest of the night. It set the tone for the whole game and they couldn’t get out of it. You could clearly see guys pointing fingers at each other and the lack of cohesiveness as a team. Dayton got in their heads after making their first 4 shots. If we score 5-6 points during their 17 point start, I think it’s a different game. Kind of surprised it wasn’t more than a 14 point loss.
To me, it was more than a 14 point loss. Anything that resembled a game ended with Dayton up by about 19 with about six minutes left. Mostly garbage time after that.
I agree it was more than just 14 points. I was referring to the scoreboard numbers only.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think we would be complaining about different aspects if the tech /5 point play didn’t occur right as we got it to single digits. Changed the entire game.
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Good grief...stop looking for reasons to torch Billy K.... :roll:
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

People need to get a grip on themselves. Many were expecting far too much tonight. Rhody was a 10-11 point underdog for a reason. Dayton is a very good team. URI played about as bad as it could tonight and was never in it. Stuff like this happens some times. It still however was just one game in a thirty game regular season. Wipe this game entirely from your memory. Everyone needs to hit the sack and get a good rest tonight. Great weather forecast for tomorrow with the sun expected to shine most of the day. Things are looking up after today's storm.
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Complete coincidence. Had absolutely no idea how many points Fatts scored tonight. Seemed like a arbitrarily high number players would average on a team that wasn't very good. The tweet was an appreciation of Landers, who is and has been a winning player for most of his career.

Fatts is a 1st-team all-A10 player. Period. Full stop. It would be an absolute travesty if he were to miss it.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Fatts Instagram story tho 🔥
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago People need to get a grip on themselves. Many were expecting far too much tonight. Rhody was a 10-11 point underdog for a reason. Dayton is a very good team. URI played about as bad as it could tonight and was never in it. Stuff like this happens some times. It still however was just one game in a thirty game regular season. Wipe this game entirely from your memory. Everyone needs to hit the sack and get a good rest tonight. Great weather forecast for tomorrow with the sun expected to shine most of the day. Things are looking up after today's storm.
+1
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bill Koch wrote: 4 years ago Complete coincidence. Had absolutely no idea how many points Fatts scored tonight. Seemed like a arbitrarily high number players would average on a team that wasn't very good. The tweet was an appreciation of Landers, who is and has been a winning player for most of his career.

Fatts is a 1st-team all-A10 player. Period. Full stop. It would be an absolute travesty if he were to miss it.
Just bad optics, as I’m sure most would agree with.

Nothing more nothing less.
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I love how you have all the answers bro.

We lost.

We rung off 10 in a row, and lost tonight. It’s the nature of the game dude.

We didn’t play well tonight, that’s all, that’s it. Accountability is always across board.

We aren’t fucking Baylor, we are, who we are.

We can clutch our pearls, and cry like bitches, or we can regroup and battle back the remainder of the season.

These kids ain’t robots, 7 techs will tell you that they are just as angry and vested in the game as we could possibly want them to be. For whatever reason we didn’t have it tonight and Dayton is fucking FORREAL. I feel that even with a great 40 minutes against their great 40 minutes and this still would be a toss up.

Stop pouting, buck up and let’s go fucking win the next 8-10.
Why do you have to jump on the board every time we lose or something goes wrong and say here comes the complaining or don’t say this or you need to feel this way? It is like you sit and hope for something to go wrong so you can wave your hand around and tell people how to react. I don’t think most of us are that surprised that they lost, but more disappointed on how they played. It is going to be like this until the end of time. We could go go 26-4 and lose in the first round of the tournament and people are going to be pissed. That is how it works in sports. In this case I don’t think anyone is jumping off the bridge.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man,
  • I thought Langevine played very hard, very spirited. He played a game high 38 minutes as the warrior he is. He ended with 13 rebounds, 10 points, 2 assists and only 1 TO. He was 4-13 FG, 2-6 FT but he battled hard inside
  • Walker, Toppin and Long played 18,15,15 minutes respectively. They got 5,5 and 3 rebounds respectively. They hit 6-7 FTs. It was a valuable experience for them
  • Russell and Dowtin each had 4 assists and each had zero TOs but neither shot well as they went 9-29 between them
  • Our passing was not at the level of the past several games. We reverted to going one on one too much and we forced a lot of shots hence the poor shooting percentages.
For Dayton:
  • Crutcher was impressive. 34 minutes, very efficient 5-7 FG, 2-3 3Ps, 9-9 FT for 21 points plus 6 rebounds, 3 assists. He compliments Obi well. I can see why he got two consecutive A10 POW Awards.
  • Toppin was also an efficient 7-9 FG, 7-9 FT, 10 rebounds, no TOs for 22 points.
  • Landers was tough with 14 rebounds and 10 points
  • Crutcher and Toppin shot a combined 12-16 FG going for 43 combined points - this shooting a combined 2 less FG attempts than Russell who took 18. Dowtin was only 2-11 FG. We must get better shooting from our guards to be able to compete with Dayton
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Dowtin continues to be both the mystery and a swing factor for this team, He is not having a great year on his mid-range shot. When he plays well URI wins and when his shooting is not good, the Rams lose.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago Also, RI in the 2nd half almost never got the ball into the low post. I saw the ball go into the low post maybe 3 times. IMO, RI should have fed the post much more. The 3 times they did feed the post, I think they scored all 3 times.

Maybe it was slightly more than 3 times, but still, not nearly enough. Go at Toppin much more and get him in foul trouble and get him out of the game.

Thats because we had Cyril out at the top of the key near the 3 point line. I was screaming about this all game.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

I said the same thing on twitter to him and wrote this before reading the end of the thread. I take Bills word on it. But did seem when i first read it that it was a dig.
Last edited by FDshoes 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago
daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago Also, RI in the 2nd half almost never got the ball into the low post. I saw the ball go into the low post maybe 3 times. IMO, RI should have fed the post much more. The 3 times they did feed the post, I think they scored all 3 times.

Thats because we had Cyril out at the top of the key near the 3 point line. I was screaming about this all game.
They were denying the ball to the post hard and clogging that passing lane. URI turned the ball over a few times trying to get the ball into the post
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago Thats because we had Cyril out at the top of the key near the 3 point line. I was screaming about this all game.
Ok, so why in the world is Cyril ever out near the 3 point line?!?! The lack of feeding the post was blatantly obvious imo.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

57F59D88-DF7E-4948-8D2F-A7481AB737E9.png
Maybe I am reading too much into folks posts. My bad. Fact remains...GO RHODY!

I love the fire coming from Fatts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago
They were denying the ball to the post hard and clogging that passing lane. URI turned the ball over a few times trying to get the ball into the post
I do not recall those turnovers, we will have to agree to disagree then. IMO, they literally should have been forcing the ball into the low post much more. The other shots they were taking were not falling, they shot pretty poorly in the 2nd half imo, they would have been better off forcing the ball into the low post much more imo.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago Thats because we had Cyril out at the top of the key near the 3 point line. I was screaming about this all game.
Ok, so why in the world is Cyril ever out near the 3 point line?!?! The lack of feeding the post was blatantly obvious imo.
Your guess is as good as mine. Surf just said above that you guys were denying passes to the post. Which is fine have cyril come out top set a screen and try and roll backside down low. Not get him the ball at the top to pass then have no bodies down low. You guys are legit no doubt i just dont get the game plan we tried execute. Im sure being down 17-0 threw that out the window, whatever it was, but still.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

I do not recall those turnovers, we will have to agree to disagree then. IMO, they literally should have been forcing the ball into the low post much more. The other shots they were taking were not falling, they shot pretty poorly in the 2nd half imo, they would have been better off forcing the ball into the low post much more imo.

Agree 100%
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Still though, only getting the ball into the post around 3x that I counted in the entire 2nd half? Really? I am very skeptical that the low post was completely guarded by Dayton for almost the entire 2nd half. It seemed like for almost the entire 2nd half, RI made almost no effort at all to feed the post.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Your guess is as good as mine. Surf just said above that you guys were denying passes to the post. Which is fine have cyril come out top set a screen and try and roll backside down low. Not get him the ball at the top to pass then have no bodies down low. You guys are legit no doubt i just dont get the game plan we tried execute. Im sure being down 17-0 threw that out the window, whatever it was, but still.
Yeah, 17-0 fine, that was a bad start, but you chip away at it then, you don't completely abandon the low post then for the entire 2nd half. Heck, they had the lead down to 10 with 19 minutes left, they were basically right back in the game at that point.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago 57F59D88-DF7E-4948-8D2F-A7481AB737E9.png

Maybe I am reading too much into folks posts. My bad. Fact remains...GO RHODY!

I love the fire coming from Fatts.
Fatts is NOT happy. I like that.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Yeah, 17-0 fine, that was a bad start, but you chip away at it then, you don't completely abandon the low post then for the entire 2nd half. Heck, they had the lead down to 10 with 19 minutes left, they were basically right back in the game at that point.
Bingo. And it wasnt just the 2nd half. Cyril spent way to much time out top in the 1st as well. It appeared as if it was by design and i just simply dont understand that.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago Bingo. And it wasnt just the 2nd half. Cyril spent way to much time out top in the 1st as well. It appeared as if it was by design and i just simply dont understand that.
Per Kenpom, Cyril has literally shot just two 3-pointers all season, he made 1 of those 2, he is not a perimeter shooting threat at all. It does not make much sense IMO to have him out top so much.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I see both points. Dayton guarded the post well.
We also didnt force it in there enough at all.

I think Fatts going out of the game had a lot to do with derailing what halftime gameplan we came up with. We lost a lot of ground when he was out.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

we got boat raced by the #6 team in the nation, that sucks. Now we see how we respond. We can let a game like this define us or we can let our response to it define us.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago we got boat raced by the #6 team in the nation, that sucks. Now we see how we respond. We can let a game like this define us or we can let our response to it define us.

Good thing we have the A-10's softest pillow coming to the Ryan Center on Saturday.

It will be a hard one to lose.

Hope to see a nice GW style butt whoopin to take us into a week break leading into that Davidson game.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I hope the members of the selection committee were too busy studying metrics to check the game out.

Seriously, the goal now is to protect that second seed. Maybe I’m nitpicking, but if the tournament time slots are the same as they’ve been for at least the past two years, the two seed gets the 7:00 game on Friday night and the three seed gets the 9:30 game. That would lead to a quicker turnaround for the Saturday afternoon semifinal game. Also, teams rarely play that late, so you don’t know how they’ll react.

As to the remaining games besides Dayton, I’m more concerned about the St Louis game at home than the game at Davidson. St Louis plays physical and will make it difficult for Rhody to get clean looks.

Good thing we own the tiebreaker over both the Bonnies and VCU. It looks like they will battle it out for third place. The Bonnies have four of their final six games st home. I could see them going 5-1. I’d rather see VCU finish third, since we have their number.

As for the quarterfinal opponent, St Louis and Davidson are currently battling it out seventh place. Davidson owns the tiebreaker. Normally I would prefer to play St Louis because of Davidson’s style of play and better coach, but I would prefer to play Davidson this year. I could see a scenario where Duquesne goes 3-4 the remainder of the regular season and possibly slips to the seventh slot.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dayton jumped us from the start and it was never a game

Time to regroup and blow out Joes
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago Fatts Instagram story tho 🔥
He's pissed, and I love it. His last one was him on the plane with a bandaid above his eye saying "dirty plays, bet that"

It was def chippy, but not dirty. But I love that he is fired up, I want a pissed off Fatts @ the Ryan Center for March 4th