The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago I am by no means certified in physical training, but I can tell you from being a gym-goer myself my observation of Chase's Twitter an IG posts/stories is that what he does with these guys is mostly functional training.

Case in point, today I saw Jeff doing a Turkish getup with a kettlebell (you can also do with a barbell). It's not like these guys are powerlifting 475lbs. the day before a game. Again, I am not an expert nor did I play D1 sports, simply my observation.
I agree with that. Chase’s tweet yesterday however had Jeff lifting 405 lbs for a set of 3. He did note that it was six days prior to gameday. I am confident that Chase knows what he is doing and that Coach Cox has approved the in season traininng plan.

On the question of the statistics regarding a larger sample size vs a smaller sample size. The larger sample has a higher probability of being accurate.
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am confident we will get out of the cellar with regards to 3 point shooting

The key is to get as many open looks off good ball movement and not take forced contested 3s
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

also important to note that the lifting they are doing during the season is not really about adding any additional mass, even the heavy lifts

basketball players at D1 and NBA levels need to lift throughout the season just to maintain their current muscle mass. All of the cardio and running from practices and games causes them to lose muscle mass throughout the season
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Now that the out of conference schedule is over, I have been reflecting upon the loss of Nicola Akele and I think it was much bigger than most of us realize or be willing to admit. Early on I thought he would be in the rotation as the first one off the bench. That would be either in the three or the four position and he could’ve made a big difference in a couple of games possibly giving us one or two more wins. Having said that however, his leaving may be a blessing in the long run because Tate and Martin got the pt and development that they might not have had if Akele had been playing in front of them. So with all the frustrations in the first part of the season, we may be in a better position now than if I Akele had stayed. Let’s hope so.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Now that the out of conference schedule is over, I have been reflecting upon the loss of Nicola Akele and I think it was much bigger than most of us realize or be willing to admit. Early on I thought he would be in the rotation as the first one off the bench. That would be either in the three or the four position and he could’ve made a big difference in a couple of games possibly giving us one or two more wins. Having said that however, his leaving may be a blessing in the long run because Tate and Martin got the pt and development that they might not have had if Akele had been playing in front of them. So with all the frustrations in the first part of the season, we may be in a better position now than if I Akele had stayed. Let’s hope so.
I don’t think Akele was that good and agree with your point that the freshman would have lost much needed time to develop. I’m not sure Akele would have ever been the difference for more wins and even if he was we still weren’t getting an at-large bid. This year is about getting all the young guys as much time and experience as possible and developing the team for next year.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

When we say we were not going to be an at large team this year and that was the cast from the beginning, that is not how I remember it.

I think our expectations were that we were not going to lose to Stony Brook, Bucknell and we were kinda thinking of one loss at Rainbow.

We were certainly counting on and hoping for a max of three loses- PC, West Virginia and TCU. That would have been at 9-3 and logically we would not be writing off an at large this year.

Also think Akele was a real asset, obviously, could not get many minutes last year, but at the end of the day an eight man rotation is a lot more effective than a 7 man rotation with more fresh legs. (I do not count Omar as part of the rotation becuase of his defense) Akele was also often used at the high post during a zone, something we are struggling to find if we want to keep JD on the perimeter.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

He was also a 39% shooter from 3. We could’ve used some of that. Not to mention the additional senior, fourth year leadership.

You also have to remember that we played seven games on the road. So all in all, 7-5 isn’t looking that bad right now.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Ive thought that Akele could have given URI minutes in spots that could have changed some of the losses URI shouldn't have. But I wasn't a fan of his.

In other news, this SLU game is very exciting. They are one of the teams thrown out there as a favorite and their record is 1 loss better than ours. When ppl talk SLU they say Bess and Goodwin are the catalysts. WELL we have Dowtin and Langevine. We lost some games solely because it was a new operation with new players and coaches. They seem to be settling in now. Getting better.

URI will contend at the top in the top tier of the conference.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

A couple of stats that jumped out to me, the one the most noticable is that Jermaine has taken less shots than Tyrese and the same as Dana.

3 1/2 shots a game (44 total). I understand that Cox must know what he is doing with Jermaine, It seems obvious that when we are able to move 5 of Fatts' 15 shots a game to Jermaine and get them almost even in the number of shots per game, this team will be dramatically better.

Not to mention that Jermaine shoots over 50% and commits half of the turnovers that Cyril commits per minute played.

It is time to use Jermaine as a key part of this team!!!!!!!!!!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's just a matter of time before this happens, McRam.
MrRamsDen76
Michael Andersen

Unread post by MrRamsDen76 »

My theory with Akele was that DH was too much in his head and that the coaching change to David Cox would help him fulfill his potential as a college senior. Just got the feeling that he was always looking over his shoulder and was never comfortable.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Jermains ceiling is higher than the Ryan center , kids gonna be all time at Rhody.
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

MrRamsDen76 wrote: 5 years ago My theory with Akele was that DH was too much in his head and that the coaching change to David Cox would help him fulfill his potential as a college senior. Just got the feeling that he was always looking over his shoulder and was never comfortable.
........my theory was he basically was not going to play any significant role, regardless of coaches....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
MrRamsDen76 wrote: 5 years ago My theory with Akele was that DH was too much in his head and that the coaching change to David Cox would help him fulfill his potential as a college senior. Just got the feeling that he was always looking over his shoulder and was never comfortable.
........my theory was he basically was not going to play any significant role, regardless of coaches....
I could not disagree more - his role was significant even if it was not in the game. Having another player who understands the defensive schemes, who knows how to practice, who knows what to expect would have been huge to this team. Oh well, probably cost us a game or two but in the long run I like where 3/4 of the freshmen are right now.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

My theory is that Akele preferred getting paid to play basketball over playing basketball for free.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great look a like
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

had to be a pic of Cuba playing OJ... smh. That was a great series, though!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Right maybe a pic of him in Jerry McGuire ??
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Right maybe a pic of him in Jerry McGuire ??
Yes, we are a wholesome group over here. Boyz in the Hood would have also worked.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Common sense is not common.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 5 years ago
What did it say?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago https://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl ... 0209ewcn5t

We’ve come quite a ways.
While I, of course, want Cox to win, Pikiell deserves credit for turning around the dumpster fire at Rutgers.
Slava Ukraini!
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago https://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl ... 0209ewcn5t

We’ve come quite a ways.
Friggin love this.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Reading Back on people defending Akele’s play and people saying Jermaine’s ceiling is higher than the Ryan Center and he’s gonna be all time great here...

I’ll see myself out of this thread with no further comment before I get yelled at again.

:lol:
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

We’ve come quite a ways.
If this season holds and we dance - you have to lock up Cox and provide everything you promised Hurley a year too late.

Done being a stepping stone school. INVEST IN THIS PROGRAM ITS WORTH IT.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Agreed. Think you need to ensure Cox stays to continue to build the program. Uncertainty never bodes well in college sports.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

We’ve come quite a ways.
If this season holds and we dance - you have to lock up Cox and provide everything you promised Hurley a year too late.

Done being a stepping stone school. INVEST IN THIS PROGRAM ITS WORTH IT.

One of us here has to hit the lottery sooner or later right??
Go Rhody
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

I’ll wait until after Tuesday night before I get nervous about keeping our coach (I love the guy).
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes agree on an extension especially if we continue to exceed expectations and win a game in the NCAA tournament

I am worried about losing him to a P 5 ??
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Yes agree on an extension especially if we continue to exceed expectations and win a game in the NCAA tournament

I am worried about losing him to a P 5 ??
That’s why you lock him up with the program enhancements we need and a crazy buyout on the backend.

If you think you have the right guy, and we know what the right guy looks like, you lock him down.

Lot of things to go before then, but I am sure Thorr, Garrett, and Tom Ryan are already having these discussions.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I loved when Cox said Rhody was his dream job after DH said UConn was his dream job that said a lot right there
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

We’ve come quite a ways.
He's totally earned it. This is what I like to see. Someone up for an award, and you aren't scratching your head as to why they are up for the award.

Heck, he should win it outright if we manage to get to the second week.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Another thing David can show to our current recruits.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I just wish we can get a coach we can pay the dollars for and he stays here and wins big. Maybe Cox will do it. But history hasn't been good to us.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unfortunately.

History dictates, you get the conversation going now, put your best foot forward, and hopefully keep this going, 3, 4, 5 years.

If he has this kind of success over the next several years, please keep in mind, the kinds of programs that are going to come calling and the dollars being tossed around are going to make it very unlikely to keep him for more than a handful of years. I'm sure the recruits and their families also have anxiety and are just hoping "4 more years" so that their children will have the same environment they signed up for, until their child graduates.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........me thinks we are a number of years out for any real concern that Dave is going anywhere, me thinks much more brand building is needed here to solidify a resume that would be looked at by others......and maybe, just maybe he is the one that is gonna build, get paid, and stay......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Well, like dominoes, one lever affects another. This may be a reason why the current recruiting priorities are simmering on the burner at the moment, because you also wait another month and a half, and if URI makes a dent into the tournament, you wait for that oh so important announcement that Cox signed a new contract and is staying, before you make a move.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ........me thinks we are a number of years out for any real concern that Dave is going anywhere, me thinks much more brand building is needed here to solidify a resume that would be looked at by others......and maybe, just maybe he is the one that is gonna build, get paid, and stay......
If Dave takes us to the NCAAT this year, it's upon us now. The guy has a great in game mind. He scouted us out of the Fordham mess of Hurley. Brand building? Not sure what that means. We are on the cusp of making the NCAAT 3 of the last 4 years.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Well, like dominoes, one lever affects another. This may be a reason why the current recruiting priorities are simmering on the burner at the moment, because you also wait another month and a half, and if URI makes a dent into the tournament, you wait for that oh so important announcement that Cox signed a new contract and is staying, before you make a move.
This has nothing to do with how recruiting is going. We just had two priority kids in last week. Stop making things up
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Well, like dominoes, one lever affects another. This may be a reason why the current recruiting priorities are simmering on the burner at the moment, because you also wait another month and a half, and if URI makes a dent into the tournament, you wait for that oh so important announcement that Cox signed a new contract and is staying, before you make a move.
Great thought to put your paranoia into the mind of recruits. How did Hurley ever get a recruit to commit before April in his last 4 years at URI.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I know this might not be the most realistic approach, but I've seen enough since the 2nd half of last year to now that makes me want to sign him long term now. I'd be okay with 7 years which seems like an eternity but seems necessary in this environment when coaches get P5 opportunities after 3 years of success at mid major level. I'm sure many here are not ready to jump off that bridge with me, though, understandably so.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Umm, no.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago I know this might not be the most realistic approach, but I've seen enough since the 2nd half of last year to now that makes me want to sign him long term now. I'd be okay with 7 years which seems like an eternity but seems necessary in this environment when coaches get P5 opportunities after 3 years of success at mid major level. I'm sure many here are not ready to jump off that bridge with me, though, understandably so.
The years mean nothing. How many years did Dan have when he left? Giving a 2 year extension at the end of the year to give him 5 more years makes sense. The amount per year, perks (Ast Pool, Practice Facility) & the contract buyout are the important factors.

I believe Coach Cox will be here for a long time.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I believe we are getting ahead of ourselves here.......let the season flow to it's hopeful conclusion....then worry about other things....

I'm with Rhody83...a person's desires are what counts....not the number of years in a contract...or the buyout....if a coach wants to go he goes....

...I said that Hurley could have been the most important coach in the history of the University of Rhode Island (sorry Frank Keaney)...if he stayed here for his career.....he wasn't interested in that legacy....

....none of us know what legacy Coach Cox wants to create....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
This has nothing to do with how recruiting is going. We just had two priority kids in last week. Stop making things up
That's not what I meant.

I know we had two priority kids in last week, THOSE were the two I was referring to.

I wasn't talking about them not coming here, I was referring to the fact that they didn't make a decision in the meantime.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago ....none of us know what legacy Coach Cox wants to create....
That's a fair statement
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I have no issues with reading comprehension. You inferred we weren’t getting the commitments bc recruits are concerned Cox may not be here in a year or two. That’s simply not true and a baseless statement. But keep going boomer.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago I loved when Cox said Rhody was his dream job after DH said UConn was his dream job that said a lot right there
Sorry, but that said nothing. Show me a coach that doesn't say the job they're at is their dream job at the introductory press conference
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines