Top 25 Polls 2019-20

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Top 25 Polls 2019-20

Unread post by theblueram »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago We control NOTHING.

So why are we here?
I avoided philosophy for a reason.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Oh, we don't control anything.

I guess everyone can just stay home tomorrow then.
The fans, the proverbial 6th man. Stay home.
Cheerleaders. Stay home.
Rammettes. Stay home.
Band. Stay home.
EZ Buckets. Stay home.
Steve and Don. Let some scrub announcers take over.

We don't control diddly squat, so why bother? We don't hype our guys up to pull through the tough spots during the game. The lapses. We don't rattle the opposing team. We don't voice our pleasure or displeasure. It's all trivial BS. When the team starts to sleepwalk and go through the motions like in the first ten minutes of the second half against VCU, just go to sleep yourself, right in the chair. Because we don't let anyone know what we feel is important or not important. When the shot clock is down within 5 seconds, and the team is fighting for the ball at the top of the arch, don't bother yelling out in unison the countdown to make sure they are aware there are vital moments left.

We're all wasting our time here, apparently. Who knew?
there may be just a subtle difference between effects fans have by speculating on a fan message board and effects fans have on the outcome of a game when they are in an arena. you do know that...don't you?
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Idk, what's the point of this message board existing? These three above say we have no influence over anything.

I'm very superstitious, so I'm controlling what I can control. I'm guessing there are others out there like me
3000...you're totally junking up this thread with your nonsense...control what you can control and stop posting ... please?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramsman75 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Idk, what's the point of this message board existing? These three above say we have no influence over anything.

I'm very superstitious, so I'm controlling what I can control. I'm guessing there are others out there like me
3000...you're totally junking up this thread with your nonsense...control what you can control and stop posting ... please?
Controlling what you can control

Good one for the New cliche thread
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Take it one cliche at a time.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago Take it one cliche at a time.
No need to get ahead of ourselves
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Good golly did this thread go off the rails......
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Good golly did this thread go off the rails......
We need to get the thread back on track
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Win the next two and this train will be back on the rails. Win against Dayton and the train turns into a jumbo jet.

(I'm not sure I get what I'm trying to say there but still makes more sense than most posts here)
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Is RF3000 a student?

If so he definitely just took the PHL 101 with one of the crackpots, and had an hour and a half dedicated to "are we even here?"
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Who am I ? What am I?
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Oh, boy.

Ok, no more drinking and posting from here on out.
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

getting some votes in the AP poll has taken a life of it's own - funny thread on twitter that KMac and Bill Koch have been involved in too. I don't think we deserved to be ranked (yet) and don't really care at this point in the season. just keep on winning and everything will take care of itself.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Oh, boy.

Ok, no more drinking and posting from here on out.
Philosophy and whiskey is a hell of a combo.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

There has to be more...

schnapps

I'm a bigtime lightweight

How embarrassing lol
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago There has to be more...

schnapps

I'm a bigtime lightweight

How embarrassing lol
Hahahahahha we've allllll been there. Try drunk posting during an in-game thread. That's where the gold lies.

Give to Rhody's NIL
TulaneGradRamFan
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TulaneGradRamFan »

Why isn't anyone following the RPI rankings? They now have Rhode Island ranked at 14 and VCU has been dropped to 46 with Dayton at 9.
http://realtimerpi.com/college_Men_basketball_rpi1.html :)
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ramster does in the NET thread.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Yeah, it’s been mentioned from time to time, but the reason it isn’t getting a lot of attention here is because it is not part of the official criteria for the selection committee anymore.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TulaneGradRamFan
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TulaneGradRamFan »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Yeah, it’s been mentioned from time to time, but the reason it isn’t getting a lot of attention here is because it is not part of the official criteria for the selection committee anymore.
Oh Thanks. I knew there had to be a good reason.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Dude...are you a Sox fan? Don't you remember that superstition died in October 2004?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think if we win our next too we just miss out on Top 25 I think we get to 26 or 27 ???
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The 4 teams ahead of us outside the top 25 will have a lot to do with it. If they win, I don't think the teams we play this week will help us jump over them.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Is this the week?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Is this the week?
I’m guessing 27th.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes I think this is the week.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

I’d love for it to be, but some teams ahead of us last week won too, I guess we’ll see Monday
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think we come up just short this week.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Dayton looks to be slowing offensively a bit. They've had some close-ish games (Duq. & St Louis). As far as being ranked #6 in the nation goes, they should be blowing people out, but their last 3 games they've scored in the low 70's in points. Slump? Hahaha. If you can call it a slump for a team that keeps winning. Rhody might just have a shot.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It could come down to if Ohio St loses at Wiscy tomorrow??

I think we just miss out also I will guess 27th
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The Dude wrote: 4 years ago Dayton looks to be slowing offensively a bit. They've had some close-ish games (Duq. & St Louis). As far as being ranked #6 in the nation goes, they should be blowing people out, but their last 3 games they've scored in the low 70's in points. Slump? Hahaha. If you can call it a slump for a team that keeps winning. Rhody might just have a shot.

Yeah I dont think they're in much of a slump.

Crutcher has been banged up a little I think. That's hurt them a little bit maybe. The announcers were saying something about him being banged up.

Otherwise, I think they've been fine.

The only time they've trailed was at SLU.

SLU is just a really good defensive team and is able to rough them up good. They have good strong athletes and they dont let Dayton get into a groove.

Fordham held them to a modest 70 because they're actually pretty decent defensively. Just held Richmond to 59.

Duquesne had a furious comeback against them to make it close. They are a good team.

The thing with those teams is they dont have the poise and fire power to actually pull off an upset.

Good thing we do :)
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

If zona losses to UCLA could get us closer. This weeks games wont move the meter much unless teams ahead of us lose.

Although a nationally televised game with 2 nationally ranked a10 teams would be great for us and the confrence.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
The Dude wrote: 4 years ago Dayton looks to be slowing offensively a bit. They've had some close-ish games (Duq. & St Louis). As far as being ranked #6 in the nation goes, they should be blowing people out, but their last 3 games they've scored in the low 70's in points. Slump? Hahaha. If you can call it a slump for a team that keeps winning. Rhody might just have a shot.

Yeah I dont think they're in much of a slump.

Crutcher has been banged up a little I think. That's hurt them a little bit maybe. The announcers were saying something about him being banged up.

Otherwise, I think they've been fine.

The only time they've trailed was at SLU.

SLU is just a really good defensive team and is able to rough them up good. They have good strong athletes and they dont let Dayton get into a groove.

Fordham held them to a modest 70 because they're actually pretty decent defensively. Just held Richmond to 59.

Duquesne had a furious comeback against them to make it close. They are a good team.

The thing with those teams is they dont have the poise and fire power to actually pull off an upset.

Good thing we do :)

I think we actually match up well against Dayton. We have a better backcourt. And have size to take advantage of Daytons weakness on the boards. Hopefully going to be a great game.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I'm thinking not.

My guess is, no ranking unless you beat Dayton, is the general consensus.
TheRealBenEaves
Jim Eitner

Unread post by TheRealBenEaves »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I'm thinking not.

And then we get thrown in at #5 LETS GOOOOO
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I'm thinking not.

Unless everyone in front of us losses then you can get in because we havent lost. Our 2 games this past week wont cause us to jump teams unless they lose
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

yes, but don't forget. The Top-25 ranking is a voting system. Which is subjective.

Why give a top-25 ranking to a team that could very well lose that same ranking 48 hours later? Doesn't make much sense.

Just concentrate on beating Dayton, and erasing all doubt. This will be very cut and dry if this team is going to get a ranking, and keep the ranking for an entire week or more, and it's all based on the next game.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago yes, but don't forget. The Top-25 ranking is a voting system. Which is subjective.

Why give a top-25 ranking to a team that could very well lose that same ranking 48 hours later? Doesn't make much sense.

Just concentrate on beating Dayton, and erasing all doubt. This will be very cut and dry if this team is going to get a ranking, and keep the ranking for an entire week or more, and it's all based on the next game.
Thats not how the voting system works. They dont say "I'm not voting for them because they MAY lose on tuesday." I agree we prb will settle 27 or 28 but if teams lose in front there is a chance.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Kevin McNamara is one of the voters. Can you accurately predict what he says and does not say about URI in this situation?

That's the definition of subjective. It's not based on NETs and RPIs, it's based on gut feelings.

Furthermore, I reject being ranked without earning it. Let me ask you this...

When Baron was coach, or whomever, and we got listed in the Top-25 for ONE week before we were voted out the following week for losing the very next game, do you think that was a positive or negative to the URI Basketball program?

I think I already know what you are going to say "any time you can get ranked, you take it" "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" "free manna from heaven" "any publicity is good publicity" etc etc

I disagree. I say, you get ranked prematurely, again, based on gut feelings, and then you have the quick entrance, the voters from that point on think, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me," and you have to work twice as hard the next time (within that same season) to try to get ranked.

There are no shortcuts.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

I have no clue what you are even attempting to say with that post/ramble. Being ranked is good period. I dont believe we make it on monday 27 or 28 as i just said above. But your points are ludacris 1st voters arent looking at a potential future lose as reasons not to vote for said team. 2nd we were 30 last week if teams ahead of us lose we will rise by default. 3rd being ranked brings brings national attention and that is good for multiple reasons, national TV games and potential recruits will see that we are relevant nationally. As for not earning it we have a top 60 strength of schedule and are 18-5 how often have we ever had that kind of record at this point of the season? I mean seriously. And shortcuts? Wtf you talking about?
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

That response was so predictable, I could have wrote it myself. It's a regurgitation of what others have said over and over ad nauseam for two decades, so not a single surprise in it.

I still disagree with every single point you just made. Perhaps we could simply agree to disagree? How about it, FDshoes?
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

thats fine. But you are still wrong. I will ask this tho 18-5 with a top 60 SoS, how is that possibly not earning it?

Again we were 30th this past Monday i see a slight uptick due to a couple teams losing in front of us but dont see us cracking the top 25.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Also that Brown loss, still atrocious, looks slightly less worse after they beat Harvard tonight. So yes we still have a q3 loss but many many teams also have one of those. Its not an omg we cant overcome that loss in the eyes of the committee.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Because the voters have no respect for GWU nor UMass, one of them said so today in print, it was discussed on this very site. Beating them, simply means you may tread water this week. There is no algorithm to this. It's not math. It's 100% prejudice. You beat poor teams, you can only climb so high until you reach a ceiling, and then you can go no further. The thing is, not to lose, which would be a disaster.

The votes are like me and you having this discussion right now. You say we moved up. I say we are idle. Our two votes cancel each other out.

Same thing with Kevin Mac and Dickie V. Kevin says we are going nowhere after this week, someone else says differently. In the end, don't expect much.

That's how it's possible. But, you refuse to see that. It's ok. It has nothing to do with Q3 and Q4 and the tiny fraction of a decimal percent Brown beating Harvard provides.

You know what, you said fine, I respect that. That's a lot more mature of a response than I would have gotten from most at 3 am in the morning.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It may come down to Marquette and Ohio St losing tomorrow if they both lose then it is certainly possible. I will still guess 27th
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago I have no clue what you are even attempting to say with that post/ramble. Agree
Being ranked is good period. Disagree - being ranked is Great Period :D
I dont believe we make it on monday 27 or 28 as i just said above. Maybe higher than that. We are already 30. Outside shot to break the Top 25
But your points are ludacris 1st voters arent looking at a potential future lose as reasons not to vote for said team. Agree
2nd we were 30 last week if teams ahead of us lose we will rise by default. Agree
3rd being ranked brings brings national attention and that is good for multiple reasons, national TV games and potential recruits will see that we are relevant nationally. Strongly agree
As for not earning it we have a top 60 strength of schedule and are 18-5 how often have we ever had that kind of record at this point of the season? I mean seriously. Agree
And shortcuts? Wtf you talking about? Agree
I'd love to see URI Ranked in the AP Top 25 this Monday headed into the huge Tuesday Night Game
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

#16 Michigan State lost to #22 Penn State and Michigan.

#17 Iowa got blown out by Purdue, 104-68, and beat Nebraska.

#18 LSU lost to Vanderbilt and #11 Auburn.

#19 Butler beat #10 Villanova and plays #27 Marquette today.

#20 Illinois lost to #9 Maryland.

#21 Creighton lost to PC and beat St. John's.

#22 Penn State beat #16 Michigan State and Minnesota.

#23 Arizona beat USC and lost to UCLA.

#24 Colorado beat Cal and #35 Stanford.

#25 Houston beat Tulane and plays #32t Wichita State today.

#26 Texas Tech beat Texas and Oklahoma.

#27 Marquette beat DePaul and plays #19 Butler today.

#29t Ohio State beat Michigan and plays Wisconsin today.

#29t Tulsa lost to UCONN and plays UCF today.

#30 Rhode Island best UMass and George Washington.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Because the voters have no respect for GWU nor UMass, one of them said so today in print, it was discussed on this very site. Beating them, simply means you may tread water this week. There is no algorithm to this. It's not math. It's 100% prejudice. You beat poor teams, you can only climb so high until you reach a ceiling, and then you can go no further. The thing is, not to lose, which would be a disaster.

The votes are like me and you having this discussion right now. You say we moved up. I say we are idle. Our two votes cancel each other out.

Same thing with Kevin Mac and Dickie V. Kevin says we are going nowhere after this week, someone else says differently. In the end, don't expect much.

That's how it's possible. But, you refuse to see that. It's ok. It has nothing to do with Q3 and Q4 and the tiny fraction of a decimal percent Brown beating Harvard provides.

You know what, you said fine, I respect that. That's a lot more mature of a response than I would have gotten from most at 3 am in the morning.
There is a weird tinge of aggression to your post that's confusing. Like, I don't think people are in here writing, "It will be CRAZY if we're not ranked on Monday!!!" General consensus seems to be that we'll be on the cusp of the Top 25. That seems about right to me. I think most people on this board knows how the Top 25 works, which is basically:

1) Did you win? If so, you typically stay at your spot or move up.
2) Did you lose? If so, you typically move down.
3) How did teams above you and below you in the polls do? That effects your placement, since voters don't typically "jump" teams unless the win is especially impressive, or the loss is especially bad.

Since we're on the cusp, a win against another Top 25 team in Dayton will almost certainly put us in, barring a loss to St. Joe's later in the week. A loss to Dayton means we won't be in. It's kind of a coincidence / "unlucky" that the timing works out that way, since wins against St. Joe's and Generic A-10 team this coming week probably would have put us in the Top 25 anyway.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

#beatdayton
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

mjg13x wrote: 4 years ago #16 Michigan State lost to #22 Penn State and Michigan.

#17 Iowa got blown out by Purdue, 104-68, and beat Nebraska.

#18 LSU lost to Vanderbilt and #11 Auburn.

#19 Butler beat #10 Villanova and plays #27 Marquette today.

#20 Illinois lost to #9 Maryland.

#21 Creighton lost to PC and beat St. John's.

#22 Penn State beat #16 Michigan State and Minnesota.

#23 Arizona beat USC and lost to UCLA.

#24 Colorado beat Cal and #35 Stanford.

#25 Houston beat Tulane and plays #32t Wichita State today.

#26 Texas Tech beat Texas and Oklahoma.

#27 Marquette beat DePaul and plays #19 Butler today.

#29t Ohio State beat Michigan and plays Wisconsin today.

#29t Tulsa lost to UCONN and plays UCF today.

#30 Rhode Island best UMass and George Washington.
I think there are enough losses here to put us at 25