1/28 | George Mason | 7:00PM (YurView/Stadium)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 1/28 | George Mason | 7:00PM (YurView/Stadium)

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He'll have a couple of days. He seems to be good enough to have limited minutes. Anything would help on Friday. Anyways...GOOD WIN
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

AJ Wilson is going to be REALLY good. Not looking forward to seeing him again.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rese can rebound...
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

SOLID ROAD WIN.

Bring on VCU!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Took care of business on the road! BIG ONE coming up on Friday. Can't wait.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Did what they needed. Led wire to wire. Exceeded 10 pt margin which will help NET metrics. On the to next game Friday vs VCU (beat UR 87-68) which will be LARGE.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

BIG GAME FRIDAY!!! It better be sold out. It better be loud.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

That was a very pleasing performance.

We are POISED and in a groove.

Cant wait for Friday!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Stress free road win.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I honestly believe we are a better team than VCU. I was more nervous about today than I am about Friday.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Nice win! Especially no Harris, foul trouble and Fatts not on his A game. Dowtin, Martin stepped up big time. Good team win. 2 in a row on the road never easy either. Looking forward to VCU and packed house Friday. Go Rhody!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Man do we beat VCU AGAIN?
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Friday night. ESPN. Against VCU. With a bid on the line. It's gonna be one of those games.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

7-1..15-5.. nice job of avoiding the trap game and looking ahead.. now we can look ahead.. hopefully Harris can give them more minutes.. missing Tate big time now.. going to rest my vocal chords until Friday..
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Another road win! Hope we can get our guys better; may need the Tarantula before the year is over. Dowtin was great; all the guys played well. Tyrese is a talented rebounder; another double double. We got a little sloppy with the lead but I'm nit-picking; good effort all around.

Getting pumped for Friday night!!!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

That was the Jeff Dowtin offensively that we saw last year. Need his shooting. Great game by Martin. He has become a very good defensive rebounder. Great job by Walker as well.
“We will be good when we are good.”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

They need some rest before Friday. We had some tired players are there.
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago 7-1..15-5.. nice job of avoiding the trap game and looking ahead.. now we can look ahead.. hopefully Harris can give them more minutes.. missing Tate big time now.. going to rest my vocal chords until Friday..

Indeed. Although I think we have missed a healthy Harris over the last few games.

We have also missed Sheppard all this time.

Walker early in the year.

Hammond I'm sure could have helped in some of these!

But that has only made us STRONGER, for our Rhody Rams are tough as nails and are a force to be reckoned with!!!!!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I will hardly ever complain about a double-digit road win in the conference, but for whatever reason I found that to be an incredibly frustrating game to watch. Putting the officiating aside, lots of bad shot selection, too many misses in close and failures to finish around the rim, too many 50/50 balls that bounced around and ended up with a Colonial, too many offensive rebounds given up. Yes, it was a 14 point win and we said coming in that we’d take a win one way or another. But we were really saved by GM’s abysmal shooting (2-19 from 3, 10-22 from the FT line). I’m not like ‘mad’ or whatever, but I do just want to register my frustration as a viewer. It’s cliché but they put a lot of things on tape for the coaches to keep them honest between now and Friday.

(Jeff is excused from everything above - great to see him turning the corner and coming on big time as we head to the stretch run.)
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Also the stadium network worked great on my laptop. But the shot clock being next to our score is definitely a little distracting.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We are now beating the teams we're supposed to beat by daylight, on the road no less.

Definitely a sign of a good team. Martin, Jeff, and Walker played well.

Same worry though, got to stay healthy, no break until later in February. Yes, they need some rest the next couple of days.

As far as regular season games go, this Friday is as big as it gets around these parts, I reckon!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Great solid effort and AGITA free

Well, mostly AGITA free :)
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Definitely sloppy at times, but I'm happier to see good three-point shooting then I am mad about bad layups.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I will hardly ever complain about a double-digit road win in the conference, but for whatever reason I found that to be an incredibly frustrating game to watch. Putting the officiating aside, lots of bad shot selection, too many misses in close and failures to finish around the rim, too many 50/50 balls that bounced around and ended up with a Colonial, too many offensive rebounds given up. Yes, it was a 14 point win and we said coming in that we’d take a win one way or another. But we were really saved by GM’s abysmal shooting (2-19 from 3, 10-22 from the FT line). I’m not like ‘mad’ or whatever, but I do just want to register my frustration as a viewer. It’s cliché but they put a lot of things on tape for the coaches to keep them honest between now and Friday.

(Jeff is excused from everything above - great to see him turning the corner and coming on big time as we head to the stretch run.)
.......maybe our defense had something to do with their poor shouting......?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

From the free throw line?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Give the team credit. I didn’t think they would win both of these road games a week ago. These are games they would lose in past years. It is going to be great atmosphere Friday night. I can’t make the game because of a father/daughter dance. I wish the dance fell on a umass or LaSalle game instead of a sold out VCU game with huge NCAA tourney ramifications, but what can you do. I’ll be watching from my phone. Great to see Dowtin step up in the second half. Hopefully Harris isn’t lost for good. We really need the depth, whether people think so or not.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......that too!.....Go Rhody.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I will hardly ever complain about a double-digit road win in the conference, but for whatever reason I found that to be an incredibly frustrating game to watch. Putting the officiating aside, lots of bad shot selection, too many misses in close and failures to finish around the rim, too many 50/50 balls that bounced around and ended up with a Colonial, too many offensive rebounds given up. Yes, it was a 14 point win and we said coming in that we’d take a win one way or another. But we were really saved by GM’s abysmal shooting (2-19 from 3, 10-22 from the FT line). I’m not like ‘mad’ or whatever, but I do just want to register my frustration as a viewer. It’s cliché but they put a lot of things on tape for the coaches to keep them honest between now and Friday.

We just had a wire-to-wire 14-point win on the road, are 4-0 away from home, have won 7 in a row and are knocking on the Top 25 door. Not sure what team you're watching, but I sure like the one I'm seeing.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Next.
Go Rhody
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

Missing Tate? I’m not following that stream of no thought.

Solid game but still almost played to the level of their competition. I’m not complaining cause it’s a win.

Dowtin was fabulous tonight in every area of the game. Fatts didn’t carry us with his shooting tonight but contributed in so many ways. Walker had a good night - especially good from the line. On to VCU. Have to find a place to watch in Hollywood Beach Friday night.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

@ TP this was one of the easiest games to watch the last two years. Wire to wire lead, finally buried a team we were suppose to (when people said we couldn’t do this / this team couldn’t put a performance together like this.)

Let’s get 8K Friday night.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We toyed with that team. Guys were going for trick shots. It wasn't close.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah, it’s not a criticism, really. Or a complaint. I just found myself frustrated with certain sequences in the last dozen minutes or so where it seemed like we could have kicked the door in and we settled for holding them off.

I will always take a road win, especially one where we aren’t really threatened. Just thought the opportunity was there to really put them away and we never turned the knife. The mistakes didn’t cost us because the opponent was not good to begin with and played extremely poorly. We did enough, just room for improvement.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Harris is going to be hampered by that injury for a while if they keep playing him and aggravating it.

They get a week off after the mid point of next month. That should help.

Even missing some easy shots, we shot 50% from the field, 40% from 3 and 67% from the line.

Do that Friday night, and it's 8 in a row.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Yeah, it’s not a criticism, really. Or a complaint. I just found myself frustrated with certain sequences in the last dozen minutes or so where it seemed like we could have kicked the door in and we settled for holding them off.

I will always take a road win, especially one where we aren’t really threatened. Just thought the opportunity was there to really put them away and we never turned the knife. The mistakes didn’t cost us because the opponent was not good to begin with and played extremely poorly. We did enough, just room for improvement.
Partly why GM shot so badly was because of Rhody's defense though... I was really only frustrated when they got it down to an 8 point lead.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Geezus TP. You have become the ultimate Debbie downer, bro.

We aren’t Baylor. But we are winning games. Take them and look forward to the next, or DONT. But give it a rest man. Enjoy the victories!!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We do tend to get a little sloppy when we get a clear lead early.

Seems we're better off coming from behind...the focus is better lol.

It's what we do.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Yeah, it’s not a criticism, really. Or a complaint. I just found myself frustrated with certain sequences in the last dozen minutes or so where it seemed like we could have kicked the door in and we settled for holding them off.

Partly why GM shot so badly was because of Rhody's defense though... I was really only frustrated when they got it down to an 8 point lead.
Yeah, agreed. Jeff’s D on Greene especially was excellent and he accounted for what felt like half of their misses from 3 and don’t think he made one. Like I said, I’m not saying they played like shit or got lucky or any of that, just that there are some things they could have done better. I am a little self conscious about appearing like I expect to win by 30 or something on the road, but it just felt to me like the plays were there to straight dust this team and we settled for handling them.

To be clear, that doesn’t even rate on the scale of problems that most college basketball programs in the country are experiencing right now. But I did think they left some plays out there. I feel like people are maybe taking that for a little more than I intended it to be and being defensive about it. I’m not complaining nor am I concerned. Very happy to be where we are at.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Give the team credit. I didn’t think they would win both of these road games a week ago. These are games they would lose in past years. It is going to be great atmosphere Friday night. I can’t make the game because of a father/daughter dance. I wish the dance fell on a umass or LaSalle game instead of a sold out VCU game with huge NCAA tourney ramifications, but what can you do. I’ll be watching from my phone. Great to see Dowtin step up in the second half. Hopefully Harris isn’t lost for good. We really need the depth, whether people think so or not.
Define past years. We made the NCAAT in 17 and 18. Missed last year. And are poised to be in again. So when did we lose these types of games in the last 4 years?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago

Yeah, agreed. Jeff’s D on Greene especially was excellent and he accounted for what felt like half of their misses from 3 and don’t think he made one. Like I said, I’m not saying they played like shit or got lucky or any of that, just that there are some things they could have done better. I am a little self conscious about appearing like I expect to win by 30 or something on the road, but it just felt to me like the plays were there to straight dust this team and we settled for handling them.

To be clear, that doesn’t even rate on the scale of problems that most college basketball programs in the country are experiencing right now. But I did think they left some plays out there. I feel like people are maybe taking that for a little more than I intended it to be and being defensive about it. I’m not complaining nor am I concerned. Very happy to be where we are at.
Oh ok, thanks for clarifying. Your initial post sounded very pouty.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Speaking of resting Jermaine.

We wont get a full week off until February 15th- 22nd.

Anybody else have to wait that long??

Anyways, I think we need to do what we can to get JH ready for friday, but after that game I think we need him to sit until the Dayton game. Doesnt appear that he is getting any better.
I've never been one to advocate for playing through injuries. Better to sacrifice toughness for a better tomorrow. Our much maligned big was coming into his own out there and he wouldn't do us any good wounded all year.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Speaking of resting Jermaine.

Anyways, I think we need to do what we can to get JH ready for friday, but after that game I think we need him to sit until the Dayton game. Doesnt appear that he is getting any better.
I've never been one to advocate for playing through injuries. Better to sacrifice toughness for a better tomorrow. Our much maligned big was coming into his own out there and he wouldn't do us any good wounded all year.
He played 7 minutes. That's it. He was rested this game.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Basketball is a game of runs, we aren't 30 points better than GMU so not sure why one would expect that. We had them at arms length for 35 minutes. In a potential trap game we came out of the gates hot and beyond a few minutes of sloppy play in the 2nd half played a disciplined game on both sides of the ball. Dowtin's defense was almost as impressive as his offense, Moore had put up 30+ in 2 of the last 3 games and looked awful out there.

Not sure why Paulsen never went back to that extended 1-3-1, it caused problems for us and at least gave them a fighters chance. Really odd he never went back to it but I'll take it. There better not be an empty "coat seat" in the house on Friday. Go Rhody!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Also the stadium network worked great on my laptop. But the shot clock being next to our score is definitely a little distracting.
That is the only complaint I would even feel warranted to have after a win. Plus too many whistles.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Speaking of resting Jermaine.

He played 7 minutes. That's it. He was rested this game.
I’ve had hip flexor issues in the past and it HURTS. Can never seem to fully get rid of it. I hope Jermaine is on the mend.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Jeff Dowtin had a great game and is looking like his old self offensively. His defense has been great all year.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Just finished up the dvr version. Some choppy stretches, otherwise...a wire to wire win that never ever looked to be in doubt.
The sloppy stretches don't impact the psyche as much when you ff thru commercials and FTs, and we score on the other side.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Basketball is a game of runs, we aren't 30 points better than GMU so not sure why one would expect that. We had them at arms length for 35 minutes. In a potential trap game we came out of the gates hot and beyond a few minutes of sloppy play in the 2nd half played a disciplined game on both sides of the ball. Dowtin's defense was almost as impressive as his offense, Moore had put up 30+ in 2 of the last 3 games and looked awful out there.

Not sure why Paulsen never went back to that extended 1-3-1, it caused problems for us and at least gave them a fighters chance. Really odd he never went back to it but I'll take it. There better not be an empty "coat seat" in the house on Friday. Go Rhody!
I don’t want to keep going about this because I feel like what I said was taken in a way I didn’t intend it to be in the first place, but to try to clarify one more time - I didn’t come into the game expecting to win by 30, and the only reason “win by 30” was ever in this discussion is because I said I didn’t want to come across as expecting to win by 30. If you told me that we’d win by 14 at 6pm today, I’d have signed up for that 1000 times out of 1000. But watching the game, we left plays on the floor. They struggled badly to score in the half court, but they did get a decent amount of buckets off second chance points after O rebs and off balls that were deflected or otherwise bouncing around and wound up with GM players more often than Rhody players. We also got to a point in the second half where we seemed to waste some possessions, and had other pretty easy chances inside that we couldn’t convert. You add all that up, and the opportunity was there to blow this team out of the gym, and it wouldn’t have required a perfect game, just a slightly better one.

That said - and I want to be very clear about this - I’m not complaining about the performance or the result! I’m fine with the performance, and I’m very good with the result. Thought maybe there was some room here to say that we did some frustrating stuff on the way to what was an overall satisfying win...didn’t expect to get DRAGGED for that haha. Tough crowd.
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

We need Harris for Friday. Just got back from game. He is hurting. We need Jermaine to take some of the defense on Santos- Silva. It was a nice no dress game. Jeff was definitely in zone offensively. Fatts might be a little banged up. Some ugly shots that were way off aim to the side of basket.