[OFFICIAL] Hurley Signs Extension With URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: And it begins.. Renewed Speculation of Dan Hurley to Rut

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The issue might be, does the school even have the authority now to fire him?

It might be out of their hands already, if that's possible. The state might be running the show now.

Just like Pernetti doesn't have the authority to search for a new coach. That's been taken away from him.

He might have to twist in the wind for a while, until more evidence comes to light. Then the axe will fall.

I don't think they are in any hurry right now, they want to get things right. There was talk about appointing an interim coach from within, maybe even for next year. Of course, will anybody be left to even qualify as a coach?

If they wait a year to conduct a national search, once everything's cleaned up, to coincide with their entry into the B10, then Dan Hurley will be high on their list, you can count on that.

Let's hope they don't hire an interim for a year, and hire Jordan. Then we can worry about the SH job next year, instead of both.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RU is a mess and I am sure DH wants no part of it
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Read the projo today and they act like he's already left. Typical hack job by the projo too. Brought up that they're still paying Baron etc. Donaldson is already advocating for O'Shea or Coen. We might have the worst local media coverage of any D1 team.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Be fair. Kmac wrote a fair and balanced piece. JD is the hatchet man who writes to get a reaction.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Pathetic. Glad I don't read that rag anymore.

Living in CT, their print media at least supports their state school.

Yes, Sean, at least KMac has made a case for Dan staying.

But again, Hurley has to address this soon. This stuff is everywhere now. Too many ignorant slobs will believe the projo unless he does.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Captainron@ wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:I talked to his dentist today. He cancelled his appointment next week!
So he is going to West Virginia?
LMAO
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Does N.J. have hold on Hurley?
URI basketball coach has 5 years left on his contract but is being touted as possible replacement for disgraced Rutgers coach
By PAUL KENYON and KEVIN McNAMARA JOURNAL SPORTS WRITERS
Providence Journal
04-05-2013

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... w=ZW50aXR5

Potential candidates not that far away
Jim Donaldson
Providence Journal
04-05-2013

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... w=ZW50aXR5
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jim Donaldson is perfect for RI. No self-esteem, very accepting of mediocrity, and low expectations.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They should have shipped Donaldson to upstate NY to be with his buddy Jim.

Now that's a perfect fit.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, now we know that Dan is at the FF.

While there, I'll guess that he will have some "unofficial" contact with someone from Rutgers.

Even Thorr is waiting to hear something from him.

While I'm still very confident he stays, it would be nice if he'd say something before he is contacted.

He doesn't have to refer to Rutgers specifically, just say he's staying at URI no matter what.

By not coming out and saying that, it seems to me that he might be willing to at least listen to them if and when they make an offer.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

section(105) wrote:Del's is open??

Yes. Already took the kids. They open April 1st.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

Pernetti Fired
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

RU AD just got canned. He's officially out. Good. Martelli is being targeted now.

I want to see RU hire a coach who isn't considered temporary. That would help us. Jordan would be a good choice.
However, I don't know who will be on the team next year. I don't know what kind of recruiting class they have and if they will change their minds. With potential transfer, I wonder if they'll have enough players to even field a team.
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

If Donaldson says he is leaving, you can be sure he isn't. Case closed.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't know how much recruiting of Dan Rutgers is in a position to do this weekend in Atlanta. That is a rudderless ship taking on water at the moment, and I don't know what they have for boosters and such, but they sure haven't demonstrated any competence in the past, evidenced by Rutgers being pretty bad my whole lifetime. (Holy run-on sentence.)

But I can see why Hurley doesn't want to dismiss the rumor yet if he wants any of the money that URI is about to come into from its share of the exit fees.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

As I said, I find it hilarious that Rich Coren tells ATP to read today's Blojo, like it's gospel.
Stories based on empty speculation and wishful thinking.
The NY-NJ media aren't the only media who wants Hurley to Rutgers. The Blojo and Goloco
hacks want it too.
Then recommending stiffs like O'Shea and Coen. That's what they want. Another Baron level coach to take us
to eternal mediocrity, so they can focus on their precious PC.
Rambone, obviously nothing in my PM to you hit home.
If Dan is at the Final Four, who the hell is going to recruit him??????
The FBI? Chris Christie?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
EricRueb
Abdul Fox

Unread post by EricRueb »

What was wrong with Donaldson's piece exactly? That it explored a possible option for something you hope doesn't happen? It was a column; not a news story, and it went perfect with the PK/KMac piece. The comparison of Hurley to Rutgers and Cooley and PC was fitting.
Just because the topic wasn't something you didn't like doesn't make it a hatchet job.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

What about the crap he suggested take over for the best coach we've had since Harrick?
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

It seemed like Donaldson was openly pleading fur Hurley to go to Rutgers. He even went as far as to say "hopefully hiring Hurley works out for Rutgers."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Bingo! The agenda at Blojo and Goloco is so crystal clear.
Suggesting Al Skinner become and assistant coach might be
the funniest line of the year.
It amazes me that all these hack know what Dan Hurley really wants.
Once more, The Psychic Friends Network at play.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

In any other small college town in the country, the local writers would be using their column space to make the case why staying at URI is a better move than going to Rutgers. And that would be dumb homerism if it weren't a legitimate case to be made. The problem is that our local guys don't recognize that Rhode Island is, really, a small college town and like to make pretend like they work in New York or Boston or Philly. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that they are bitter about not being good enough to work in New York, Boston or Philly, and a lot of the attitude of "little Rhody can't ever compete with the big guys...." is a manifestation of their frustration and humiliation at being stuck where they are in life.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'm really surprised the Donaldson's job has been safe over recent years. With so many competent, qualified people losing their jobs in recent years, it seems strange that he is still at that rag. He really offers little to journalism.
It just goes to show how unfair life can be.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Reports that the AD is gone.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah the AD was fired earlier this morning. That's been confirmed.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

TruePoint wrote:Yeah the AD was fired earlier this morning. That's been confirmed.
I wonder when the ProJo will post a story suggesting that Thorr will be going to Rutgers, taking Hurley with him as his BB coach.
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Maybe Dooley will go, too?
Barchi is next to the firing line.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Donaldson's a hack who has no ties to URI and probably has never spoken a word to Danny Hurley in his life, yet he knows, as we all know, Hurley won't stay here much longer, if he doesn't leave this year. Rod is right, Projo and many PC fans would love to see Hurley gone as he poses a threat if he gets URI to the level they fear, when they actually have to write something positive and actually cover their games. Cooley situation is different in the fact, as the prior job search proved for PC, nobody would touch the job with a 10 foot pole with any credentials of note. Not to say Cooley isn't a good coach, or hasn't done a good job, but I don't think BCS schools were knocking down his door when he was at Fairfield, so it was a perfect fit. Hurley, name recognition alone will have far better opportunities than Rutgers if he succeeds in the least here. Beside the fact that Rutgers is in a horrible situation and clearly not an easy job, I don't think Danny goes anywhere, if he goes, it won't be until he gets the job done here. He is a man of integrity and great pride and will see that the job is done here before he moves on, if he does. The Smart's, Stevens, Fews of the world show that there are some guys that look at the whole picture before jumping into a big conference program, just for the sake of money.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint wrote:Yeah the AD was fired earlier this morning. That's been confirmed.
ESPN is now backing off the story that he's been fired. Now just saying that he's "out". It's unclear as to whether he has been fired or has resigned.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Its actually insulting to bring up O'Shea and Coen also. They are at perfect levels for their ability. If it comes to that, I don't think Thorr would be dumb enough to even entertain the thought of either as a seriousl candidate. As proven with the Hurley hire, Thorr seemed adament about not going back to the past. Even before Hurley was hired, which was a great hire, many of the other names mentioned, like Ferry, Toole, Patsos and a few others were all more attractive candidates than Tim O'Shea and Bill Coen. Give me a young and upcoming assistant before those also ran guys.
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

There is no way Hurley goes to Rutgets this year. He has big time players coming into a conference where they can have an immediate impact.

Say he goes to Rutgers and struggles to put a .500 team on the floor (which is a very real possibility, especially in the Big Ten). What does his D-1 resume look like? A couple of good years at Wagner, 1 shitty year at URI, and 5 or 6 under .500 years at Rutgers. Then what is he gonna do??

You stay at URI, take us to the final 4 in two years, then the whole world is in front of you.

Rutgers is career suicide right now for Hurley.
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Semantics. Peretti's out.
I'll bet the Big Ten would love a do-over on Rutgers.
Gio, great post! Why is it all these people just assume Dan is a child
who must get back home?
Is Rick Pitino close to home? Calipari? Lavin?
I don't get this being presented as an absolute by so many.
Has he ever said, "I MUST coach at Rutgers or Seton Hall, or my life won't be complete"?
I can't find any quote in that regard. Does he mention this to everyone he meets?
Does he have a sign around his neck that says,"I must get back to New Jersey! Please help!"?
It's insulting to the man, to assume he can't function until he returns to his home State,
and this is always in the back of his mind, no matter where he's working.
Absurd!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rodfromcranston wrote:Semantics. Peretti's out.
I'll bet the Big Ten would love a do-over on Rutgers.
Gio, great post! Why is it all these people just assume Dan is a child
who must get back home?
Is Rick Pitino close to home? Calipari? Lavin?
I don't get this being presented as an absolute by so many.
Has he ever said, "I MUST coach at Rutgers or Seton Hall, or my life won't be complete"?
I can't find any quote in that regard. Does he mention this to everyone he meets?
Does he have a sign around his neck that says,"I must get back to New Jersey! Please help!"?
It's insulting to the man, to assume he can't function until he returns to his home State,
and this is always in the back of his mind, no matter where he's working.
Absurd!
AMEN!!
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Great points Rod. Unfortunately for us all this is going to play out for another couple of weeks. I don't see him going unless they make him an offe he can't refuse. Total control of the program, high pay for assistant coaches. Large pay and long term contract might get him to move. I think they would have to throw everything at him to get him to move.
And if they are willing to give the next coach everything he wants then why not go after Pitino? He has shown in the past that he can be bought and that his word means nothing.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

EricRueb wrote:What was wrong with Donaldson's piece exactly? That it explored a possible option for something you hope doesn't happen? It was a column; not a news story, and it went perfect with the PK/KMac piece. The comparison of Hurley to Rutgers and Cooley and PC was fitting.
Just because the topic wasn't something you didn't like doesn't make it a hatchet job.

It is more of the same old defeatist RI mentality that URI aimed TOO high with Hurley. He is better than URI and no one should expect him to stay. URI should know its place and never strive to do better. Should be safe and lower expectations hiring an uninspiring medicore level coach. Go cheap and get cheap-like results. It is what we deserve.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Jim, what everyone in the media around here is overlooking:
Eddie Jordan WANTS THE JOB! He's coached three NBA teams, is a former Rutgers great,
an alum who knows the school.
Experience, familiarity and desire for the job. Many in the RU community are
lobbying for him.
He was the leading candidate when they hired Rice. He withdrew his name to pursue
an NBA job.
In light of Eddie Jordan, and all of this, why would they hire Hurley?
And, if for some reason they break the bank (Rice made only 20K more than Hurley does here)
as you said, why not go after a big time coach?
This is almost entirely a media creation.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Another thing that doesn't get mentioned:

Does Dan really want to return home and face all the added pressure and scrutiny as a head coach with his name and ties in NJ? He went through that as a college player at Seton Hall and my guess is he didn't enjoy all aspects of that.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Am I correct that the NCAA will be levying sanctions? What will they be, for how long. You've got to be crazy to walk into that situation unless you really needed a job.

Is Hurley in that Category?

Another thought on the why Hurley is not talking- maybe Thorr and him are talking $$
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody74 wrote:
I wonder when the ProJo will post a story suggesting that Thorr will be going to Rutgers, taking Hurley with him as his BB coach.
AND our key football recruits and coaches!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

wonder what Hurley has told the players and recruits. Is anyone talking or tweeting?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's no secret that Dan wants some upgrades in things surrounding the program.
It's not about him, it's about what he needs to succeed at URI.
That was mentioned to me the other night by someone close to him.
URI is working to present a level playing field with other schools, because that's what's
needed.
Hurley might accelerate some of this, now.
There likely will be an FBI investigation into some of the extortion-requests by Eric Murdock, too.
Someone in Rutgers counter offered 200K for the tapes not to be made public.
Not sure of sanctions, because Rutgers probably didn't violate any NCAA rules.
Of course, neither did Penn State, but the NCAA dropped the bomb on them.
Who knows?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

One of the reasons Hurley isn't talking to anyone has zero to do with him.
and more to do with Gil Biruta and his friend, Jim Carr.
They have been shielded by URI from the media, and Hurley is part of this effort.
They are our people, now, and deserve not to be interrogated by idiots with media credentials.
Don't expect anything coming from Kingston.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RF1 wrote:Jim Donaldson is perfect for RI. No self-esteem, very accepting of mediocrity, and low expectations.
And five-foot-one Donaldson is the perfect size for the Biggest Little State in the Union.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Nothing on Twitter from URI players or coaches that I could find other than Biruta's support of the now-departed AD. I think it's smart for Hurley and the ex-Rutgers folks to lay low. It'll all come out eventually. I'm sure he and the assistants will keep recruits informed about what's going on.
Slava Ukraini!
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"A Post source said". Who? Jim Donaldson?
This from Biruta:
Gilvydas Biruta ‏@Gi7vis 1h
#KeepPernetti
RhodyO
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyO »

It also says Frank is interested and he publicly said he is staying in Detroit
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

rod- keep up your positive attitude.. sign me up for your camp.. eff RUTGERS.. let's go rhody !
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Can someone post Donaldson's article? I can't seem to find it on line.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Thanks, ECR, but I'm in denial, and according to some PC
board members, and idiot and delusional. They also want Hurley to
leave just to see my reaction. Sick!
Rhody O, Frank could well be fired by the Pistons. They're awful.
By the time Rutgers sorts through the rubble, the NBA regular season will
be finished.
Stevie, the link is in this thread.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Lenn Robbins couldn't even get URI's record from the last season right.

Per Lenn:
He went 6-21 in his first season at Rhode Island

That is news to me - the official record shows 8-21.

This is the same guy that had Dayton imminently joining the Big East a few weeks ago so I would give it ZERO creedence. Another sad indictment of today's journalism. Many writers just write crap to put it out there with little regard to fact and accuracy.
Last edited by RF1 11 years ago, edited 2 times in total.