1/18 | La Salle | 12:30PM (NBCSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/18 | La Salle | 12:30PM (NBCSN)

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

8 men is the best rotation. I guess you could push that to 9 under some really odd circumstances, but 8 men is the model that is proven over time.

A basketball team is not a hockey team, you can't send people in in waves. The starters earn their playing time, you can't just divide it in half, for many different reasons.

The only difference is the injury factor. I'm sure at UCLA in the 90's, Harrick had at least a couple of guys that were ready to crack that 8 man lineup in case of a catastrophic injury on the road to the NCAA Tournament and they were willing to wait for that opportunity. Now look at college basketball today, you don't give your frosh recruits playing time and they are out the revolving door. It's a different world. But, if Cox wants to run a 8 man rotation, I don't see enough reason for anyone to question it.

The variable here is DJ. Would he be inserted at a late point in the season. If it's too deep into the season, I'm thinking they don't, no matter what happens. And, I saw him play just that one game vs RIC, I'm not buying that he's not a player. He looked really good. They are hoarding him for next year and the year after that.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

We need to run a high-post offense using Walker and Toppin on top. Against the zone we need to move the ball in-and-out, not just around the perimeter. Walker and Toppin have good hands and can hit the 15 foot shot. It will get us better outside looks.

Tyrese has the potential to be a very good player both offensively and defensively.

More is physically wrong with Cyril than just a finger.

Harris spent quite a bit of time deservedly on the bench.
NCAAs or Bust!
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

URI won, our daughter had 10 in a beat down loss to UMass-Dartmouth this afternoon.

I'll take both even though they were ugly. We're on to Duquesne.
Mobley was fouled.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

4-1. 12-5. Pretty no.. Win yes. It's a result oriented game. Just keep winning.. Glad teams don't press us much.. we struggle with it with only 2 legitimate ball handlers.. also at the time LaSalle went to it dowtin was on the bench. After a couple of turnovers he was checking back in.. that's when Cox needed a timeout.. rather have pretty wins but it beats the alternative.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago I think Fatts should miss the second here ??

if he missed the first, then you intentionally miss the second. There is virtually no difference between a 1 and 2 point lead with 1 second left as all the other team can do is throw it the length of the floor to the basket. however if he makes the 1st then you try to make the 2nd too. granted, they can then in-ball the ball to half court and make a 3 to tie, but the worse thing would be to have them make a full court length shot and you lose because you intentionally missed the 2nd free throw. Obviously not likely to happen, but neither is a half court shot and with a half court shot all they can do is tie.

bottom line, with 1 point lead you intentionally miss the 2nd shot. With a two point lead you try to make the second shot.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ideally if trying to miss the 2nd with 1.1 secs to go I like the shooter to shoot it very high arc and have the ball take forever to come down causing game to end
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago 4-1. 12-5. Pretty no.. Win yes. It's a result oriented game. Just keep winning.. Glad teams don't press us much.. we struggle with it with only 2 legitimate ball handlers.. also at the time LaSalle went to it dowtin was on the bench. After a couple of turnovers he was checking back in.. that's when Cox needed a timeout.. rather have pretty wins but it beats the alternative.
They only had one turnover against the press.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Love the 8 man rotation talk.. All really good points.
I know the ‘88 team made it to the sweet 16 playing 6 guys...

I guess I’m the one who gets tired of seeing fatts run all over the place!!! Coach sub me out and I’m just sitting and watching!!! Lol
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Ideally if trying to miss the 2nd with 1.1 secs to go I like the shooter to shoot it very high arc and have the ball take forever to come down causing game to end

he can hit it off the back of the rim and the ball can hang in the air for 10 seconds. won't matter. clock doesn't start until someone touches it.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Also if anyone noticed Fatts caught the ball with 1.5 left he could have heaved the ball down other end and clock would have expired too before he got fouled
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URI isn’t a good offensive team. They can’t put together a complete game on offense. They aren’t a good shooting team and they are very poor from three. Here are some stats for their five A10 games:
FGs 117-297 (39.4%)
3P 21-76 (27.6%)
FT 77-112 (69%) which is pretty good but their last two games they have missed 22 FTs
TOs 48 (9.6/game) which is ok. three games with 12+ though

Tyrese Martin is 2-19 from three in the five Conference games. He also has 15 turnovers in those games.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Exactly. We are top in A10 defensively but not good at all on offense.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Tyrese is a slasher, should not be taking very many 3's at all.

He makes a couple every once in a while, but like Fatts when he is off, when's he cold he's very cold.

Man I hope Sheppard and Leggett can make them from the get go next season.

When will we ever become a good shooting team?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Also if anyone noticed Fatts caught the ball with 1.5 left he could have heaved the ball down other end and clock would have expired too before he got fouled
Sure, but Fatts knew they would foul him. They had no choice. So he gets two shots. I think he did the right thing.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

An eight man rotation is fine, but you need balance in the 8 players. We have 3 small forwards (counting Toppin there) and only two guards, who need to play major minutes for us to win. But it's not changing this year so let's hope we keep winning.

They really struggled against the zone today and will have to improve that going forward.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago Exactly. We are top in A10 defensively but not good at all on offense.
It's shocking to me to see URI is at the top in defense because they have played pretty poor defense on a lot of possessions (overcommitting, ball watching, jumping on up fakes, too far away from perimeter shooters, etc). In my opinion, their defense has been pretty sloppy in comparison to the kind of defense that Hurley used to have his teams play. This is a clear case of how stats can be deceiving. There have been a lot of times when Davidson, LaSalle, and other opposing teams' players have been left WIDE OPEN for a 3pt shot. Somehow, until today, most guys still managed to miss the shot. LaSalle made them pay quite a few times today when they were left open behind the arc.
All I know is that if Rhody plays against Dayton & St. Louis the way they've played in the last 3 games, they will get annihilated. I really hope I'm wrong, but they're not passing the eye test with me. I look at Dan Hurley's NCAA teams and how they played vs. how these guys are playing and I'm not seeing the same level of play. In my opinion, each one of those guys has a ton of talent, but as a team it still looks very shabby and disjointed on both ends of the floor.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago 6,323 in attendance. Good turn out. The place sounded quiet on TV without the band and cheerleaders.
It wasn't a quiet crowd and some band members were there. I agree it wasn't exactly a ruckus. So on TV how many times did Martin actually charge?Live and biased it looked like the second one was a bad call for sure.
Definitely was not a quiet crowd. The band was great as usual. The band had an excellent turnout.
Am a couple hours behind in this thread, but wanted to put out a second kudos to the band. They've been great this year.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Tyrese is a slasher, should not be taking very many 3's at all.

He makes a couple every once in a while, but like Fatts when he is off, when's he cold he's very cold.

Yes, he's a slasher. The problem is that too often he is out of control, hence so many offensive fouls. He also throws up a lot of wild shots when slashing (so does Fatts). What happened to the 10 foot pull up jumper in basketball?
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Tyrese is a slasher, should not be taking very many 3's at all.

Yes, he's a slasher. The problem is that too often he is out of control, hence so many offensive fouls. He also throws up a lot of wild shots when slashing (so does Fatts). What happened to the 10 foot pull up jumper in basketball?
Pull up jumpers are the least efficient way to score. A to. If teams are discouraging the shot full stop because it’s just not a shot worth taking statistically
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago

Pull up jumpers are the least efficient way to score. A to. If teams are discouraging the shot full stop because it’s just not a shot worth taking statistically
I think it's better than throwing up a prayer when going all the way to the rim. Yes, I know you can get fouled when going all the way, but that doesn't seem to happen very often with our guys.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Our offensive problems have been the same all along. Poor shot selection .When they see the ball go in the basket a few times , confidence builds.Poor shooting is ugly. It is not that none of the players can shoot. It is all about patience and shot selection . They are afraid to continue to move the ball continually until a good shot emerges. I think the reason for this has to do with a very fragile confidence which compounds with every missed shot . When they are more patient
they shoot much better. Even Dayton fell victim to it against SLU and became frustrated. I think against the lesser rated teams they tend to rush up
lower percentage shots because they think they can get away with it, Late in the game today they slowed downenough to create good opportunities but reverted to form after building a lead.They have to be reminded to only take shots they expect to make instea of hope they can make. It isn't passive to probe the defense , especially a zone until you find the shot you know you can make .i think they do this with teams they respect becauuse they
know every possession is of upmost importance . They realizethey cannot waist possessions with turnovers and bad shots.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

luke wrote: 4 years ago Our offensive problems have been the same all along. Poor shot selection .When they see the ball go in the basket a few times , confidence builds.Poor shooting is ugly. It is not that none of the players can shoot. It is all about patience and shot selection . They are afraid to continue to move the ball continually until a good shot emerges. I think the reason for this has to do with a very fragile confidence which compounds with every missed shot . When they are more patient
they shoot much better. Even Dayton fell victim to it against SLU and became frustrated. I think against the lesser rated teams they tend to rush up
lower percentage shots because they think they can get away with it, Late in the game today they slowed downenough to create good opportunities but reverted to form after building a lead.They have to be reminded to only take shots they expect to make instea of hope they can make. It isn't passive to probe the defense , especially a zone until you find the shot you know you can make .i think they do this with teams they respect becauuse they
know every possession is of upmost importance . They realizethey cannot waist possessions with turnovers and bad shots.
They don’t have the offensive skill to create a good shot on many possessions. Many of their misses were late in the shot clock - there wasn’t more time to be patient. They had 16 turnovers today - many of them trying to penetrate to create a better shot (Fatts had 7 and Martin had 5). Martin had 3 offensive fouls driving to the basket for layups.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think it's better than throwing up a prayer when going all the way to the rim. Yes, I know you can get fouled when going all the way, but that doesn't seem to happen very often with our guys.
URI took 32 FTs today. I think it does happen. URI has taken 20+ FTs in their last 4 games.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

URI took 32 FTs today. I think it does happen. URI has taken 20+ FTs in their last 4 games.
I think most of those are on second chance shots, and some were when LaSalle was fouling late. I'll take one of the players I was talking about....Tyrese Martin...0 foul shots, 3 offensive fouls when driving to the basket. That's not good.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

A win is a win.
Don’t think we played horrendous today. Definitely made it a closer game than it should have been. We still need to find a better way to beat the zone. Too much standing around. That being said, La Salle played great today. Hit a ton of tough shots and played great defense. We were the better team though, even if it wasn’t our prettiest game.
Wanted to add...a lot of great hustle plays by Martin, Walker and Long. Need to get the offense rolling...

Also, a lot of people crapping on Martin. Offensive fouls happen when you’re an aggressive slasher. Keep doing that TM. The refs were heavy on offensive fouls when guys didn’t have their feet set. No issues with him being aggressive.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I also liked the play where Croswell (6’8, 240) tried to draw a charge in Fatts (5’10, 165 soaking wet). Doesn’t anyone play real defense anymore. Laimbeer and Mahorn would be appalled.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think most of those are on second chance shots, and some were when LaSalle was fouling late. I'll take one of the players I was talking about....Tyrese Martin...0 foul shots, 3 offensive fouls when driving to the basket. That's not good.
URI has taken 95 FTs in the last four games. You have no facts to support your guess how the 95 FTs came about other than one player for one game. Martin has taken 8 of those 95 FTs. Fatts gets to the line driving to the basket. Cyril gets to the line going to the basket (and on ORebs). Jeff got to the line against VCU driving to the basket (10 FTs in that game).
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

luke wrote: 4 years ago Our offensive problems have been the same all along. Poor shot selection .When they see the ball go in the basket a few times , confidence builds.Poor shooting is ugly. It is not that none of the players can shoot. It is all about patience and shot selection . They are afraid to continue to move the ball continually until a good shot emerges. I think the reason for this has to do with a very fragile confidence which compounds with every missed shot . When they are more patient
They don’t have the offensive skill to create a good shot on many possessions. Many of their misses were late in the shot clock - there wasn’t more time to be patient. They had 16 turnovers today - many of them trying to penetrate to create a better shot (Fatts had 7 and Martin had 5). Martin had 3 offensive fouls driving to the basket for layups.
They don’t have the offensive skill? That’s on the coach. They stand around or jog to a few different spots on the floor for 25 seconds then rush a shot. They need to get better at attacking a zone.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URI shot 7-21 FG and had 9 turnovers in the second half. More turnovers than FGs is very poor offensive execution.
Their first FG of the half came at 13:07.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago URI shot 7-21 FG and had 9 turnovers in the second half. More turnovers than FGs is very poor offensive execution.
I think that can be directly attributed to the lack of ball movement and inability to attack a zone.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

The Dude wrote: 4 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago Exactly. We are top in A10 defensively but not good at all on offense.
It's shocking to me to see URI is at the top in defense because they have played pretty poor defense on a lot of possessions (overcommitting, ball watching, jumping on up fakes, too far away from perimeter shooters, etc). In my opinion, their defense has been pretty sloppy in comparison to the kind of defense that Hurley used to have his teams play. This is a clear case of how stats can be deceiving. There have been a lot of times when Davidson, LaSalle, and other opposing teams' players have been left WIDE OPEN for a 3pt shot. Somehow, until today, most guys still managed to miss the shot. LaSalle made them pay quite a few times today when they were left open behind the arc.
All I know is that if Rhody plays against Dayton & St. Louis the way they've played in the last 3 games, they will get annihilated. I really hope I'm wrong, but they're not passing the eye test with me. I look at Dan Hurley's NCAA teams and how they played vs. how these guys are playing and I'm not seeing the same level of play. In my opinion, each one of those guys has a ton of talent, but as a team it still looks very shabby and disjointed on both ends of the floor.
I have not checked any stats but this team seems to foul less on defense than the Hurley teams (and I am talking all of the Hurley teams not just the NCAA teams). I really like Cyril's defense against bigs. He may not block as many shots as Hassan Martin but he is equally skilled if not better at handling a wide body big man down low. Fatts and Jeff are very good defenders. Walker hustles on D and looks to be a help defender. Jermaine hustles and maybe needs more experience to help him anticipate the action. Long is an above average defender already as a freshman. I was impressed with his boxing out for defensive rebounds today. Toppin makes some great plays even though he has struggled at times with good ball fakes but its just a matter of experience. Tyrese plays decent defense although sometimes he gets an unfavorable assignment. I think our D is actually playing at a high level and is going to improve over the rest of the season as these guys get more used to each others tendencies and become more cohesive.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago URI shot 7-21 FG and had 9 turnovers in the second half. More turnovers than FGs is very poor offensive execution.
I think that can be directly attributed to the lack of ball movement and inability to attack a zone.
I kept yelling...move! you aren't going to get open just standing there! I yell this during almost all our games...some things never seem to change.

On the postgame, DiSano was discussing how to break the zone from within if you cannot shoot. Since we were not attacking it correctly it kept creeping as the game went on, making it harder for Fatts and others to drive to the hoop. He likened it to Syracuse's zone.
Last edited by RIFan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Yea, I admit I have lost all perspective on the guy I love to hate, Mr. Nonchalant, Tyrese Martin, who was 0-5 (none even close) on threes for the game and in the New Year has hit on 2-22, 9%. Happy New Year, Tyrese!! But, hell, he is one terrific rebounder!!
I think Tyrese’s overall game would benefit from him greatly reducing his three point attempts. It’s just not a strength of his. I’ve never seen anyone with an outside shot with that much arc. Look at all the good shooters: they don’t arc their shot anywhere near that extent.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Yea, I admit I have lost all perspective on the guy I love to hate, Mr. Nonchalant, Tyrese Martin, who was 0-5 (none even close) on threes for the game and in the New Year has hit on 2-22, 9%. Happy New Year, Tyrese!! But, hell, he is one terrific rebounder!!
I think Tyrese’s overall game would benefit from him greatly reducing his three point attempts. It’s just not a strength of his. I’ve never seen anyone with an outside shot with that much arc. Look at all the good shooters: they don’t arc their shot anywhere near that extent.
I'd like to see Tyrese actually try to shoot 3s without the ridiculous "rainbow arc". In the last 2 games he's 0-10 for threes and a lot of them are the same high arc that you said.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I wouldn't waste time continuing to discuss this particular game.

Like, we didnt even try in this game. Maybe it is a little alarming, but we will not see the same effort against a good Duquesne team.

We can play a whole lot better and we will.
ghostofkeaney
Michael Andersen

Unread post by ghostofkeaney »

is there any place to rewatch the game? trying to show a buddy some of the lack of offense we displayed in the second half.
Boo.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

As poorly as we shoot I don’t know why any opponent would plan anything but zone against us right out of the gate.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago We need to run a high-post offense using Walker and Toppin on top. Against the zone we need to move the ball in-and-out, not just around the perimeter. Walker and Toppin have good hands and can hit the 15 foot shot. It will get us better outside looks.

Tyrese has the potential to be a very good player both offensively and defensively.

I get a little tired of the bashing of Harris. Harris played awesome defense today , he was all over the floor and often disrupted his offense

It is so unfortunate that we can’t get him the ball down low for baby hooks etc. Not every play but 4-6 times a game. This has been going on for two years.

You watch St. Louis and they pound the ball into French virtually at the basket We should just try it and see the good results.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago We need to run a high-post offense using Walker and Toppin on top. Against the zone we need to move the ball in-and-out, not just around the perimeter. Walker and Toppin have good hands and can hit the 15 foot shot. It will get us better outside looks.

I get a little tired of the bashing of Harris. Harris played awesome defense today , he was all over the floor and often disrupted his offense

It is so unfortunate that we can’t get him the ball down low for baby hooks etc. Not every play but 4-6 times a game. This has been going on for two years.

You watch St. Louis and they pound the ball into French virtually at the basket We should just try it and see the good results.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago I got right on Wi-Fi today. We're gonna win bigly! :D
Tell me your secrets.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago Antwan Walker is a stud. I love this kids effort.
I am so impressed with how skilled he is. I hadn’t seen him play before he got on the court here, and he’s a much different type of player than I expected. He’s a really good basketball player - I kind of expected just an athlete, if I’m being honest.
I’m glad to see him on the team. He’s a superb athlete.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago
It wasn't a quiet crowd and some band members were there. I agree it wasn't exactly a ruckus. So on TV how many times did Martin actually charge?Live and biased it looked like the second one was a bad call for sure.
Definitely was not a quiet crowd. The band was great as usual. The band had an excellent turnout.
Am a couple hours behind in this thread, but wanted to put out a second kudos to the band. They've been great this year.
I was actually right behind the band in 201 today,
first row ... I’ve never sat there before. I’ve been tough on the band before in previous seasons but they were excellent today even without full strength. I was in that section with my colleagues and we enjoyed every minute.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago

Glad you brought up SLU.

We should take notes on how they run their offense.

They know they cant shoot, so they dont and they force that ball inside because they have the dudes to bully most teams down low. We can do the same with the personnel we have. We have a Hasahn French, (Cyril) and we have Harris Walker and Toppin who can finish better than Cyril.

We need to ball screen people into the paint and take it to people. If we do that more often than not it will help out our shooting woes, because itll help is get in more of a rhythm on offense.

Now we have seen this at times. We have had some of the best passing I've seen from a Rhody team in all my days as a fan. At VCU we really did a much better job of this, except we had a stretch in the second half where we missed 7 lay ups.

In this game we took it to them early and got in the bonus and just went away from it. A lot of that had to do with La Salle's zone, but there were a lot of weak jumpers.

I'm hoping we get Cyril healed up and he leads the charge against Duquesne because they do not have the guys to handle our bigs. Give the ball to Harris more! He will do as many nice things as Cyril and sometimes more!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago This is a very poorly coached team in-game. On a personal level, I like Cox a lot and I think he does some stuff well, but a team that gives up a 17-2 run at home against a virtually talentless opponent is rudderless. The talent on this team is so much better than La Salle that they will likely just out-talent them to the finish line, but you have a 14 point lead against a team like this at home, that has to be a 25 point laugher and not a nail-biter.
Yes, and I don’t think it is just Cox, with exception of TJ I see little or no enthusiasm or coaching by any of the assistants. We have a special assistant to the head coach who can barely move and apparently finds it hard to smile or clap , his son who has virtually no assistant coaching experience. As for Sutton , what is his job? At this point we should be able to get some easy points from Harris, why is it not happening. ?

Overall,
This is not a top 50 coaching staff.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago As poorly as we shoot I don’t know why any opponent would plan anything but zone against us right out of the gate.
When LaSalle switched to the 1-3-1 for several second half possessions, I found myself thinking that if we had a consistent outside shooter, we could set him up in a corner, swing the ball side to side to move the defense and then kick it to him for an open three. I was in 209 and had a good view of that baseline. That spot was wide open.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Who the fuck cares....we won.

Next.
DC, you probably notice we agree with each other more often than not and I have never once, nor will I question your "fandom, fanship, fanaticism" I don't really care how you came to be, why you came to be or how long you've been a fan, I just know you are a fan and that's good enough for me. But, you must know why we care about the offense looking very sluggish and guys floating quarter speed through the motions, if at all. C'mon man don't play dumb as if it doesn't worry you that we are seeing some pretty stagnant offense for large stretches of game time. Do you think it worries Cox? or maybe he's just like "Who the fuck cares....we won." Why spend our energy looking at game footage and trying to improve offense?
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

All I saw offensively from Harris was no scoring touch at all. I didn't see the box score but Cox seemed to have him on the bench for most of the game. Harris has had a chance his whole time here and hasn't contributed much offensively. Except for a dumb foul here and there he has been a contributor defensively. He has awful hands. Did you see how long it took Harris to get up an easy lay-up only to get it blocked? Walker is so much more talented offensively than Harris. I give the defensive edge to Harris. but not by much.
NCAAs or Bust!
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Happy we won. We started pulling away and then LaSalle went zone and we really struggled. How to attack the zone needs to be a main focus in practice. I suspect we will see a lot of it the rest of the year since this isn’t the first game we struggled against a zone.

FWIW the crowd did feel a little flat to me. It seemed like people did not want to stand up. I suspect that will change when the students bring their energy on Wednesday.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Who the fuck cares....we won.

Next.
DC, you probably notice we agree with each other more often than not and I have never once, nor will I question your "fandom, fanship, fanaticism" I don't really care how you came to be, why you came to be or how long you've been a fan, I just know you are a fan and that's good enough for me. But, you must know why we care about the offense looking very sluggish and guys floating quarter speed through the motions, if at all. C'mon man don't play dumb as if it doesn't worry you that we are seeing some pretty stagnant offense for large stretches of game time. Do you think it worries Cox? or maybe he's just like "Who the fuck cares....we won." Why spend our energy looking at game footage and trying to improve offense?
It really doesn’t concern me because I’ve seen us run the offense quite well this season. Yesterday, no one played particularly great, and we still won. Cox sees what we all see. I’m sure you all know he isn’t oblivious, but there seems to be a breakdown in the offensive sets that inherently cause a drained shot clock and a one-on-one drive to the basket. I’m genuinely not worried because it hasn’t cost us (bigly) yet. I like how this team finds way to win in transition and on defense for now.

It has nothing to do with playing “dumb”, it’s just I care more about just beating the team that’s put in front of us. We’ve done that 12 times now and sit in the top 3 of the A10.