1/15 | Saint Joe’s | 7:30PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Re: 1/15 | Saint Joe’s | 7:30PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Unread post by EZBuckets »

There’s nothing I love more than reading thru these live game threads after wins like this :lol: :lol: :lol: Y’all are insane.

A conference road win is a win. Burn the first half tape and let’s move on!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Long is a serious defender. I think he can be a lynchpin with a capable front court player like Langevine or someone that can defend the rim and then the rest of the athletic length we have. This team is so exciting and it is scary bc I want them to reach their potential.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Sorry but this game felt like a loss to me. I realize that Dowtin being out of the lineup was unexpected and required the team to play with only 1 true ball handler, but most of my issues have nothing to do with Dowtin not being on the court, a player who most on this board would agree has under-performed this year. I'll start with Jermaine, I've tried my best to give him the benefit of the doubt in his 1.5 years here, but if he cant dominate against a depleted and undersized St Joe's front-court, then who is he going to dominate against? I guess when you're a 4-star recruit that unfairly comes with higher expectations, he's a role player at best on this team with limited upside. Next Tyrese, you see him play against VCU and think what kind of player he could be and then we get a performance like tonight which is more the norm, bad shot selection, allowing his man to beat him for backdoor layups 3x, and playing with little energy or emotion. Cyril has been in a funk lately with his offense but the guy just brings it every single game and his leadership is evident on the floor, limited offensively especially when he puts the ball on the floor. Biggest disappointment for me was the way Cox coached tonight, not sure what his plan was after he found out Jeff would be out, but if the plan was to hoist terrible shots from the perimeter and not post anyone at the foul line vs a team who play ZONE ALL game, then his plan worked perfect. Trip after trip we took poor shots and rarely tried to get anything to the basket in the half court offense. The team played with little energy and seem unmotivated at times, very similar to the Brown game. He allowed the only player on their team (Daly) who can score to continually drive to the basket at will, never went to a zone vs a team who is actually a worse shooting team than us, it just made no sense to not zone this team, especially when we got into foul trouble. At one point I saw Cyril guarding him out on the 3 point line, i mean how does that happen? The game was just brutal to watch, we didnt hit our first 3 pointer until 9:23 remaining in the game and at the 7:56 mark we actually had a 3 on 1 fast break and missed 3 layups, with a chance to stretch the lead to 8, I'm not even sure how thats possible. Not sure of anything positive to take from this game and St Joe's has to be the worst D1 team i've seen in years, how on earth did they beat UConn.. rant over.. onto LaSalle.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Love reading the ups and downs of game threads.. very entertaining... Bottom line won on the road without their calming influence with one true guard... 11-5.. and 3-1.. doesn't matter how they got there just that they got there...
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Yeah man, the NCAA needs to be taken to court for some of these random decisions, like it or not CBB is a business and every team is a franchise, teams need to start qualifying and quantifying their losses when the NCAA rules without standard or consistency and sue this corrupt cartel, they're nearly untouchable, even the FBI can't take them down.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

I am not even going to expose myself to the prior pages of this thread. Were they super frustrating for a good portion of this game? Yes. Were they out of sync without their all- conference guard who provides 35+ minutes of very meaningful basketball to us every game?
Yes. Were they coming off a huge, emotional win at VCU? Yes. Did they turn it on when needed and finish strong down the stretch? YES. Did we get to enjoy another Fatts takeover? YES. Did we win by 10 on the road in conference? YES.

Fortunately or unfortunately...we play to the level of our competition more times than not. We will blow out a team here and there, but that's not who we are. Time will tell if this serves us well or not. When it's tourney time, it truly is win or go home, so we may see a run of big games from these guys. Or they may slip up at against a lesser team. We'll find out soon enough. May as well enjoy the ride until it's officially over.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I saw a game like this at Prout.
As a Prout Alum I am laughing
I second that TS
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

We survived that shit!

Woooo Fatts!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Shinze88 wrote: 4 years ago Sorry but this game felt like a loss to me. I realize that Dowtin being out of the lineup was unexpected and required the team to play with only 1 true ball handler, but most of my issues have nothing to do with Dowtin not being on the court, a player who most on this board would agree has under-performed this year. I'll start with Jermaine, I've tried my best to give him the benefit of the doubt in his 1.5 years here, but if he cant dominate against a depleted and undersized St Joe's front-court, then who is he going to dominate against? I guess when you're a 4-star recruit that unfairly comes with higher expectations, he's a role player at best on this team with limited upside. Next Tyrese, you see him play against VCU and think what kind of player he could be and then we get a performance like tonight which is more the norm, bad shot selection, allowing his man to beat him for backdoor layups 3x, and playing with little energy or emotion. Cyril has been in a funk lately with his offense but the guy just brings it every single game and his leadership is evident on the floor, limited offensively especially when he puts the ball on the floor. Biggest disappointment for me was the way Cox coached tonight, not sure what his plan was after he found out Jeff would be out, but if the plan was to hoist terrible shots from the perimeter and not post anyone at the foul line vs a team who play ZONE ALL game, then his plan worked perfect. Trip after trip we took poor shots and rarely tried to get anything to the basket in the half court offense. The team played with little energy and seem unmotivated at times, very similar to the Brown game. He allowed the only player on their team (Daly) who can score to continually drive to the basket at will, never went to a zone vs a team who is actually a worse shooting team than us, it just made no sense to not zone this team, especially when we got into foul trouble. At one point I saw Cyril guarding him out on the 3 point line, i mean how does that happen? The game was just brutal to watch, we didnt hit our first 3 pointer until 9:23 remaining in the game and at the 7:56 mark we actually had a 3 on 1 fast break and missed 3 layups, with a chance to stretch the lead to 8, I'm not even sure how thats possible. Not sure of anything positive to take from this game and St Joe's has to be the worst D1 team i've seen in years, how on earth did they beat UConn.. rant over.. onto LaSalle.
You could have saved yourself and us a lot of time by simply typing:

"I don't know what I'm talking about."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That was the regular season version of survive and advance. Shinze not sure what you are talking about in terms of SJU playing zone all game, they went to it a few possessions but mostly played us man. Losing Dowtin 90 minutes before the game regardless of how he has performed this year certainly was a big time loss. Luckily our defense ratcheted up in 2nd half, and Fatts went Fatts. I'm with EZ, burn the tape and move on to Lasalle.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

After checking out some of the teams' schedules in the A10. I feel like we'll have a really good idea as to who the true contenders and pretenders are in the A10 as of 1/23/20.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Walker needs to play more minutes in general, that's my take on that
Go Rhody!!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I watched the halftime interview with new AD Jill Bodensteiner with Joe Lunardi and had 3 thoughts....
  • This is who fired Phil Martelli? I won’t argue Martelli should or should not have been fired, but I can see why he would be upset with the firing coming from her
  • The interview really made me want our Rams to blow St Joe off the court in the second half. No way I wanted us to lose after seeing that interview
  • I was thankful that we have the AD that we have.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think Cyril served food at the food bank over the summer, so he may be suspended next game like Dowtin. F the NCAA!!!!!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago Game over. Season Over. No defensive stops to start the half.
Add another to the block list....bunch of babies, I swear.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Shinze88 wrote: 4 years ago Sorry but this game felt like a loss to me. I realize that Dowtin being out of the lineup was unexpected and required the team to play with only 1 true ball handler, but most of my issues have nothing to do with Dowtin not being on the court, a player who most on this board would agree has under-performed this year. I'll start with Jermaine, I've tried my best to give him the benefit of the doubt in his 1.5 years here, but if he cant dominate against a depleted and undersized St Joe's front-court, then who is he going to dominate against? I guess when you're a 4-star recruit that unfairly comes with higher expectations, he's a role player at best on this team with limited upside. Next Tyrese, you see him play against VCU and think what kind of player he could be and then we get a performance like tonight which is more the norm, bad shot selection, allowing his man to beat him for backdoor layups 3x, and playing with little energy or emotion. Cyril has been in a funk lately with his offense but the guy just brings it every single game and his leadership is evident on the floor, limited offensively especially when he puts the ball on the floor. Biggest disappointment for me was the way Cox coached tonight, not sure what his plan was after he found out Jeff would be out, but if the plan was to hoist terrible shots from the perimeter and not post anyone at the foul line vs a team who play ZONE ALL game, then his plan worked perfect. Trip after trip we took poor shots and rarely tried to get anything to the basket in the half court offense. The team played with little energy and seem unmotivated at times, very similar to the Brown game. He allowed the only player on their team (Daly) who can score to continually drive to the basket at will, never went to a zone vs a team who is actually a worse shooting team than us, it just made no sense to not zone this team, especially when we got into foul trouble. At one point I saw Cyril guarding him out on the 3 point line, i mean how does that happen? The game was just brutal to watch, we didnt hit our first 3 pointer until 9:23 remaining in the game and at the 7:56 mark we actually had a 3 on 1 fast break and missed 3 layups, with a chance to stretch the lead to 8, I'm not even sure how thats possible. Not sure of anything positive to take from this game and St Joe's has to be the worst D1 team i've seen in years, how on earth did they beat UConn.. rant over.. onto LaSalle.
did you watch the game? at one point you saw cyril guarding daly at the 3 pt line? he guarded him the whole fucking second half and did a great job. that was probably the biggest coaching move of the game!
Last edited by RhodyRam86 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

So now...all you Negative Nellies. How do you feel now? A bit bipolar aren’t we? Many of you gave up at the half.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago

really ? which part do you need me to explain to you in more detail? Did we just watch the same game?
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Looked like Fatts finally relaxed after he hit a jumper and his confidence came back . No way they win without Fatts comeback. The team
totally gutted this one out by paying tremendous hard nosed defense . I don't know what happened in the first half . Maybe the fact that
they were told just before game time of Dowtin's suspension . They couldn't make a jump shot the whole first half and I haven't seen such
terrible free throw shooting even from this team in a few years . Even Fatts missed his first two . Langevine was as bad as ever and the
rest of the team folloed suit except for Harris . I do have to credit the team and especially Fatts for hanging in there until some shots started
to fall . That first half was BRUTAL though. They must play better well actually they played well but they have to shoot better at home against
Lasalle . Please make my drive from NJ on Saturday worth the trip.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Cyril was playing Daly at times due to switches on ball screens. That is the luxury with Cyril he can switch a ball screen and has the foot speed to stay with guards and wing players. He is an elite defender. But for the most part Tyrese, Mekkhi and Jacob matched up with Daly. Against a team like them we were able to switch all ball screens so that is why at times Cyril and even Antwan were on Daly.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago So now...all you Negative Nellies. How do you feel now? A bit bipolar aren’t we? Many of you gave up at the half.
Nobody gave up at half time. We stunk and we said it, but nobody gave up.
Go Rhody!!!
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago yeah, not going to back off my disgust of the first 25 minutes of this game, but will def say that was an impressive win, some teams would have rolled over once they got down and used the ncaa ruling as an excuse. Good to see us gut it out.
A respectable evaluation, thank you
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

This board was so entertaining tonight, bravo everyone!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Chance for our first 4 game win streak this weekend. LET"S GOOOOOOO!!!!!
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I'm telling you guys. They were shooting into the wind in the first half. The hawk was flapping his wings extra hard. Where's a tranquilizer dart when you need one?
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Shinze88 wrote: 4 years ago

really ? which part do you need me to explain to you in more detail? Did we just watch the same game?
i watched the game and most of your post is garbage. do you really think cox's plan was to have the team hoist terrible shots? st. joe's played man to man most of the game and sprinkled in a few zones. the team played with great energy in the 2nd half. and cyril didn't guard daly once. he guarded him the whole second half and did a great job. not sure of anything positive to take? how about outscoring the other team by 16 points in the second half on the road?
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago So now...all you Negative Nellies. How do you feel now? A bit bipolar aren’t we? Many of you gave up at the half.
Nobody gave up at half time. We stunk and we said it, but nobody gave up.

Calling it a “Season ending loss” sounds pretty much like giving up at the half to me!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Yeah man, the NCAA needs to be taken to court for some of these random decisions, like it or not CBB is a business and every team is a franchise, teams need to start qualifying and quantifying their losses when the NCAA rules without standard or consistency and sue this corrupt cartel, they're nearly untouchable, even the FBI can't take them down.
I have a feeling their day in court will come.
They feel a need to sanction charity basketball games? Enough already.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Disaster averted...figured it out in the second half. Next!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Shinze, without Jeff we needed to win this game on the defensive end which is what we did with our performance on that end of court in 2nd half. We needed to force turnovers, get some transition buckets and find offense unconventionally. You can't do that sitting in a zone. Everyone thinks of zone as an elixir, if you don't practice it often then it can be an easy way to keep an inferior team in the game. Maybe they shot so poorly bc we contested shots and flew at their shooters. Our issue in the first half was lack of defensive intensity and focus, getting beat on back door courts, losing sight of man and ball, and taking chances we didn't need to be taking. Cox tightened that up in 2nd half and we turned a 10 pt deficit into a 10 pt win. Vegas only had us pegged as 8 point favorites with Jeff, so to cover the spread without a very critical piece of our team was a good turnaround after a dismal first half.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Cyril was playing Daly at times due to switches on ball screens. That is the luxury with Cyril he can switch a ball screen and has the foot speed to stay with guards and wing players. He is an elite defender. But for the most part Tyrese, Mekkhi and Jacob matched up with Daly. Against a team like them we were able to switch all ball screens so that is why at times Cyril and even Antwan were on Daly.

bar i don't think it was just ball screens. and even if it was, they would always switch back, but tonight cyril stayed with daly.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 4 years ago Considering they got told right before game time the NCAA decided to give them the shaft this is a great gut check win and fuck the NCAA.

Fatts was a man possessed in the 2nd half
In retrospect, assuming Jeff really needed to sit a game then the NCAA did us a favor by having it be tonight against Joe. Of course I wasn’t saying that about 30 minutes into the game, but that’s the way it worked out.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Amen, brother. That dumb ass post is about 45 seconds of my life I’ll never get back.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If Fatts was going to score his 1000th point away on the road, there was no better place than in Philly with all his family and friends there to see it. Congratulations Mr Russell on this momentous feat.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

That wasn’t a rant. That was a whine. We won the game. It wasn’t pretty, but it happened.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago

i watched the game and most of your post is garbage. do you really think cox's plan was to have the team hoist terrible shots? st. joe's played man to man most of the game and sprinkled in a few zones. the team played with great energy in the 2nd half. and cyril didn't guard daly once. he guarded him the whole second half and did a great job. not sure of anything positive to take? how about outscoring the other team by 16 points in the second half on the road?
Yeah, I guess you're right, this was an impressive win against a team who had 15 TO's, missed 9 free throws and shot 5-29 from 3. We had this game under control the entire way and utilized our strengths brilliantly. We exposed the St Joe's weakness all game, my bad, not sure what I was thinking.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I still haven't read Shinze's post cause it's too long and beers.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

FWIW both teams shot brutally from foul line and the field on that same side of the court.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Mods, open up a Lasalle Game Thread stat so we can get out of this cesspool. This thread reaffirms why I choose to stay out of game threads during the actual game.
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

URI currently ranked #69 via kenpom, nice.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago

Yeah, I guess you're right, this was an impressive win against a team who had 15 TO's, missed 9 free throws and shot 5-29 from 3. We had this game under control the entire way and utilized our strengths brilliantly. We exposed the St Joe's weakness all game, my bad, not sure what I was thinking.

did i say it was an impressive win? did i say we had the game under control and used our strengths brilliantly? did i say we exposed st. joe's weaknesses? so not only did you obviously not watch the game, you didn't read my post either.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I still haven't read Shinze's post cause it's too long and beers.

go watch a lawrence welk rerun. you'll learn more about the game tonight by watching that than you will be reading shinze's post.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I don't post during games either...but reading the posts afterward for the first 25 minutes of the game was tough.

Yeah they stunk early but woke up big time just in time.

My only issue is why didn't we attack the paint early and often? I know without Jeff on short notice sure didn't help there.

WTF is the NCAA doing? Absolutely ridiculous.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

That wasn’t a rant. That was a whine. We won the game. It wasn’t pretty, but it happened.
That wasn't a whine. That was a cry for psychiatric intervention.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Amen, brother. That dumb ass post is about 45 seconds of my life I’ll never get back.
I just read the first few lines if they are rediculous and have no clue wh at they are talking about I skip to the next hahaa
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

That wasn't a whine. That was a cry for psychiatric intervention.
Thank you, Pete. I don’t even think I wrote in my diary like that in high school when I stopped liking a crush for a stupid reason.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Everyone go root for Alabama.
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Mods, open up a Lasalle Game Thread stat so we can get out of this cesspool. This thread reaffirms why I choose to stay out of game threads during the actual game.
Cesspool indeed. 100% agree on avoiding the thread during live action.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Everyone go root for Alabama.

while the temptation may be to root for bama here, they are solidly a quad 2 win and aren't likely to get to quad one for us. so what if we end up on the bubble together with them? their win over auburn may look better to the selection committee than our win at home over bama.

i am rooting for bama, but not sure it will be the best for us in the end.

be interesting to see how it plays out.
Last edited by RhodyRam86 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I really hope these kids prove all these doubters wrong. I couldnt route on them any harder. Have more haters and doubters of this team in this board then at hawk hill tonight lol. One of your 2 ball handling guards out right before the game with no time to game plan for it. Rough first half but overcame it on the road to get the win and even the cover! A win is a win. On to the next. Not sure what other reasons some of you can find to be depressed your whole lives.