[OFFICIAL] Hurley Signs Extension With URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Re: And it begins.. Renewed Speculation of Dan Hurley to Rut

Unread post by ramfan85 »

By quitting, he won't get unemployment insurance. i wonder if Rice will?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

In the "There is no God" category,
Rice will get a $100,000 bonus for finishing this season.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

My guess is that Dan hasn't been formally contacted, and therefore would have no reason to comment on what's going on at another school. It would look rather presumptuous if he jumped the gun with a comment. I personally don't think he will leave, as there will be bigger fish to fry if he is as successful as many of us think he will be here.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Martelli is also shown on tape pushing a player, probably not a big deal except in this context.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Just because the official position of Rutgers is that no one has sought permission to speak to Hurley does not mean that back door contact to his agent hasn't been done.

Don't believe anything we hear or read on the internet on this matter.......when Rutgers announces someone else as the head coach then we can believe Hurley is staying....

...and I stated a while ago that it took a while to announce Preston as an assistant, just as it would take a while to name Tirone as an assistant....I believe Hurley is loyal to his staff.....I didn't see him passing over Tirone......
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Even if he had informal contact (which he probably has) he still can't comment.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thorr certainly confirmed that Rutgers had not asked for permission to speak with Dan, so official communication hasn't taken place.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Vin Parise is saying Pernetti is doomed, and soon:

Vin Parise ‏@VinParise 3m
Decision on Rutgers AD Pernetti could come today http://mycj.co/Zej7JG
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I suspect that by the time they seek formal permission to talk to whoever their "top choice" is, they will already know that the candidate is interested. They do not need the added humiliation of being publicly spurn like these other schools have. That may be why Dan has said nothing, maybe unofficially there has been talk, and they asked that he not say anything one way or the other. He is not burning bridges if he might like to go there in the future.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

My sources say it is highly unlikely Dan goes anywhere.

Would be odd to leave all these guys he convinced to come here, for a Rutgers job that has a million question marks right now.

Everyone I am hearing from say they would be shocked if he took the RU gig.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Eddie Jordan wants the job. He's coached three NBA teams,
so he's got a ton of experience and he's a former Rutgers great.
There's heavy lobbying for him to get the job, inside the RU
community.
He's been down this road before they hired Rice, but withdrew his name, because he
wanted an NBA job. He was thought to be the leading candidate then.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ace wrote:Martelli is also shown on tape pushing a player, probably not a big deal except in this context.
not a player but does anyone remember years ago john chaney coach at Temple and uri ex bb player gerry gimmelstob who was coach at gw at the time in a choking attempt?
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I have discovered that Hurley's son was supposed to be enrolling at a local private school and as of today has not locked in his spot with the school, which from what I was told he should have already done. This clearly makes me very nervous. Why would the Hurley's hold off enlisting him in the school? The amount of money to hold his spot in the school isn't significant at all for him to pay. Why would he be putting his son's spot in the school at risk? I'm hoping they are sending him to another private school or the reality is that he is definitely considering the job. I think it is rediculous if he were to leave URI. It would show everyone that he has a lack of true character and clearly doesn't honor what he claims he says he will do. Nothing suprises me anymore. I do think he is a phenominal coach and I am 100% confident he can get the job done for us. If he leaves I will have lost all respect for him.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Tom98 wrote:I have discovered that Hurley's son was supposed to be enrolling at a local private school and as of today has not locked in his spot with the school, which from what I was told he should have already done. This clearly makes me very nervous. Why would the Hurley's hold off enlisting him in the school? The amount of money to hold his spot in the school isn't significant at all for him to pay. Why would he be putting his son's spot in the school at risk? I'm hoping they are sending him to another private school or the reality is that he is definitely considering the job. I think it is rediculous if he were to leave URI. It would show everyone that he has a lack of true character and clearly doesn't honor what he claims he says he will do. Nothing suprises me anymore. I do think he is a phenominal coach and I am 100% confident he can get the job done for us. If he leaves I will have lost all respect for him.
Ease off the ledge, Tom. There could be a hundred reasons why the son didn't enroll. And even if he did enroll, he could easily leave if his father left URI (which I don't think he will.)
Slava Ukraini!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Get off the high horse Tom. A guy who leaves a job for a better job is doing so to better his career and his family. A guy who chooses to move on to better his life is not a demon. You only get so many moves in your life before you hit unbelievable and untrustworthy, but those would be lateral moves IMHO. URI is obviously the better job at this point in time given that 1) he is the coach 2) he has already started the rebuild process, but it really depends where or what his long-term goals are. If his long-term goal is to coach at either Rutgers or SHU (aka back home in New Jersey), why wouldn't he take it? On the flip, if that is not his long-term goal, then it's a lot easier to say no.

The Big 10 is better than the A-10, fact not opinion. Now, I don't think that makes him go, and I personally don't think he should jump ship at that point, but my goodness, some of you make it sound like a guy who tries to better his career is Lucifer himself. He loses zero credibility from jumping from the A-10 to the Big 10 in my eyes. Now I think in 5 years if a guy went from Wagner to URI to Rutgers to Virginia, then maybe you have a different story.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 11 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Tom98 wrote:I have discovered that Hurley's son was supposed to be enrolling at a local private school and as of today has not locked in his spot with the school, which from what I was told he should have already done. This clearly makes me very nervous. Why would the Hurley's hold off enlisting him in the school? The amount of money to hold his spot in the school isn't significant at all for him to pay. Why would he be putting his son's spot in the school at risk? I'm hoping they are sending him to another private school or the reality is that he is definitely considering the job. I think it is rediculous if he were to leave URI. It would show everyone that he has a lack of true character and clearly doesn't honor what he claims he says he will do. Nothing suprises me anymore. I do think he is a phenominal coach and I am 100% confident he can get the job done for us. If he leaves I will have lost all respect for him.
Now we're getting a little ridiculous. Unless you're a pc fan trying to make us look bad. I think I'll just wait and see what happens before stalking school enrollments.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah, Tom. I think that's a little bit of a stretch. I'm 100% confident he stays. I think it's more likely he goes to another school other than Rutgers if he actually were to leave during this off-season. Rutgers is a cesspool right now.

As someone else said, if and when Rutgers asks Thorr to speak with Dan, we can expect a thanks but no thanks official reply from Dan.

You could argue that Dan's unofficial PR guy, Zags, has already hinted that Dan has no reciprocal interest in RU at this time.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, Hurley's oldest son recently had surgery on both legs.
He's been only able to walk the past several days.
Prior to that, he was in plaster boots for several weeks.
So, at the risk of giving away personal information, there could be
a reason why the son was not enrolled in whatever school.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Also, not to pile on RJ, but I like a guy who can tell someone else to get off their high horse then proceed to give that person a three paragraph lesson on the morals involved in changing jobs.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Honestly TP, I just can't see saying you lose all respect for a guy if he wants to better his career and his life. I think it's a ludicrous thought-process. I would and have said the same for any coach of any team I followed who left with the right intentions.

It's easy for us as fans of various teams to look at it through the fandom of our team, but honestly put yourself in the position of a coach who could potentially be offered more money and a step up the career ladder and say you could easily turn it down no matter what. Even if he says no (which at this case I bet he does), it's not the easiest decision in the world.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Once more, this is a guy whose father lives in an apartment in Jersey City, and turned down countless
opportunities to make lots of money.
Dan was a high school coach and teacher for nine years, after souring on college coaching at Rutgers.
Bobby was a former NBA first rounder, who took up coaching because he needed to do something.
Does anyone see a pattern here? Or do you just assume everyone is whoring for money and cares for
little else?
I know, I'm in denial......
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

I agree Rod - the only thing that would lure Dan is the "Jersey Basketball" aspect. The Hurley's ARE Jersey basketball. I think if he went - it would be because of that over the money.
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I am obviously paranoid about anything bad happening to our program. I am a big fan of Hurley and just want more than anything for him to stay. I agree that his son not enlisting could be for a bunch of different reasons. I do feel that Dan has to issue a statement relatively soon that he has no intentions of leaving. How can he recruit for URI when his name is out there for another job.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Simple. They need two more players. 2013 heavy lifting , will happen over the summer and fall,
and all this nonsense will be history by then.
He can tell recruits what's going on, without announcing it to the public.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Always nice to get a PC perspective.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

By the logic above, Hurley's already someone who "lacks character" because he said he was planning to stay at Wagner but then left. He's a quality person either way. None of the coaching choices he's made- which have meant leaving people behind- have been easy for him. As a fan, it's emotional- but it's not personal, it's business. As I said before, the people who need to know, do and will know what's up.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote: He can tell recruits what's going on, without announcing it to the public.
Exactly, this. He doesnt need to make a public statement to ease the worries of recruits. He looks them in the eye or calls them on the phone and tells them to their face. Chances are, if they are far enough along in the process they trust him enough to take him at his word.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Martelli was called "Baby Rice" by the players. On the tapes, he was shown doing some of the things Rice was doing.

His career is in deep shit. Maybe daddy will hire him.

As for the assistant coach's position, what happened to all the great candidates Dan mentioned?

Did they get scared off by the Hurley-to Rutgers rumors?

Either that, or Dan didn't find one that was a perfect fit for the program.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

The longer this process goes on the more solidly I believe that Hurley will not take the job, even if its offered. It's going to be an absolute mess at Rutgers for the next couple years at least, that's without even considering the fact that the incoming recruiting class for RU will be entirely lost with little to no time to make it up. I don't think Hurley would want to put himself that far behind the 8-ball.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rambone 78 wrote: As for the assistant coach's position, what happened to all the great candidates Dan mentioned?

Did they get scared off by the Hurley-to Rutgers rumors?

Either that, or Dan didn't find one that was a perfect fit for the program.
Either that, or he likes Tirone better than all of them. And I'll defer to his judgment.
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

I heard that the guy who picks up Hurley's trash says the bins have been a lot lighter the last few weeks, but the recyclables have been heavier. He has to be gone, right?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I also heard, that Dan just cancelled his weekly delivery of hot wieners and Del's lemonade.

He's gone. :lol:
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Del's is open??
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Mmmmm, weiners
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RhodyNJ wrote:I agree Rod - the only thing that would lure Dan is the "Jersey Basketball" aspect. The Hurley's ARE Jersey basketball. I think if he went - it would be because of that over the money.
of course, this Jersey basketball thing can be overblown. Isn't Jersey basketball for the Hurleys really high school ball in Jersey?

Last time I checked Buffalo was not in Jersey!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

And, his library card has expired.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

...word from EG is that he never did get his own Stop and Shop card... he's gotta be a transient. Good as gone.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I heard he never licensed his dog, so who's the new coach gonna be?
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Buffalo's farther than RI
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I talked to his dentist today. He cancelled his appointment next week!
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Billyboy78 wrote:I talked to his dentist today. He cancelled his appointment next week!
So he is going to West Virginia?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No, Virginia Tech.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Let's put a list together.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wow! Some cretin on the PC board is offended with my constant
referencing Rutgers as a "cesspool".
Gee, let's see,
1. They let a coach abuse his players, physically and verbally.
2. Attempted to placate the situation with a token suspension.
3. Hired a PI to do a report exonerating Rice. The PI was affiliated with
the Rutgers law School.
4. An assistant coach (Martelli) was also allowed to abuse players.
5.The University president never bothered to look at the tapes until yesterday.
6. Eric Murdock looking for a million dollar payout not to leak the videos. Rutgers
counters with a 200K offer.
7.18 faculty members have called for the president to resign.
8. 50 faculty members are calling on the AD to resign.
9. several players are leaving ,with more to follow.
10. The Governor of the State has decried the entire situation as "a violation of trust".
11. There will be a full scale investigation by the NJ State Legislature into the school's handling of
the situation.

So, PC's poster (McPoop is his handle), other than those items, Rutgers is a wonderful situation to commit career suicide. You have to read this guys bullshit signature to believe it! Wow! He's got front row season tickets!
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

As long as you refer to the hoops situation as a cess pool and not the university as a whole I see your point.

You have to remember a lot of people are proud of their school no matter what outsiders may think. I graduated from URI but grew up 20 mins from Rutgers and wouldn't call the place a "cess pool".
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Obviously we're talking about basketball.
Read my post and tell me where I've varied from talking
about what's going on in the basketball program and the
domino affect that seems ready to happen.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think when it all shakes out, the Rutgers president will keep his job. He didn't see the tapes last fall, but he agreed to the suspension and fine based on what he was told by Pernetti.

Now the AD, he's got to go, and soon. His failure to dismiss Rice immediately once he saw the tapes, is inexcusable. Now we hear, that next year was going to be Rice's last year there as coach anyway. Whose decision was that? Just the AD's? Or the school's? Was Rice told of this?

How the hell could they recruit for next season? What a joke. It's not like they already knew who was going to succeed Rice, when they start in the B10.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm surprised Pernetti still has a job as of this hour. I thought for sure he'd be gone sometime today.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ramfan85 wrote:And, his library card has expired.
WHY ISN'T HE IN A RUSH TO RENEW IT?!?!?!
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

rambone 78 wrote:I think when it all shakes out, the Rutgers president will keep his job. He didn't see the tapes last fall, but he agreed to the suspension and fine based on what he was told by Pernetti.

Now the AD, he's got to go, and soon. His failure to dismiss Rice immediately once he saw the tapes, is inexcusable. Now we hear, that next year was going to be Rice's last year there as coach anyway. Whose decision was that? Just the AD's? Or the school's? Was Rice told of this?

How the hell could they recruit for next season? What a joke. It's not like they already knew who was going to succeed Rice, when they start in the B10.
I can't believe he only watched the tape now. If that is true it makes him incompetent. I for one think he's not being truthful.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.