1/8 | Davidson | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Re: 1/8 | Davidson | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago TS used to only be at her Watch Hill house a couple weeks a year.

17 mil for a vacation home.

I think I saw where the house recently sold however. Can anybody confirm that?

She's now the highest paid entertainer in the business.
Taylor Swift still owns the home in Watch Hill.
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Davidson gamer and notes here.

PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Great work as always, Bill. But is there any way you can capture all of the post game on video? Always like to hear -- and see -- what our players have to say.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

a few observations:

i'm not going to get too caught up on the great 3 point defense. luke frampton led the A10 in 3 pointers made last year. didn't play last night. KiShawn Pritchett shot 43.9% from three last year. didn''t play last night. both started all 34 games for davidson last year and were expected to be main contributors to an ncaa tourney run this year. with lack of any post game, it was much easier for RI to defend the 3. and to be fair, davidson also missed a lot of wide open 3s unlike brown.

fatts not starting---could be one of a number of reasons and...not sure "sending a message", if it was one of those reasons really meant anything. big deal. he didn't get introduced to start the game. he still played 36 minutes. as a few others have mentioned, whether it worked or not, i think the the best intended benefit would be to get 5 other guys in the flow of the game right away...have fatts see that...and then have him come into the game and fit in seamlessly.

tyrese is so frustrating to watch. i truly believe he could be the best player on the team. he just doesn't seem to be that vested. if he had toppin's motor...wow!

harris' 3. it's like you could see him thinking about it, the crowd groaned and so he thought about it another second and let it fly. cox shot daggers at him the rest of the way on the bench.

fatts 3 pointer---didn't like it, but obviously there is no hard and fast rule. i tend to doubt a guard coached by coach k or tom izzo would have done the same thing. to me, it's act like you've been there before.

this last point reminds me of one of my best gambling stories (a little bit of a reach, but i'll share anyway). USC vs Stanford in college football. I need a score for the over. USC has the ball at mid field with a sizable lead (let's say 3 tds) and less than a minute left. Matt Leinert takes a knee. Jim Harbaugh calls time out for Stanford. Next play Leinert fakes taking a knee and throws a 50 yard TD pass. I always thought Harbaugh was a douche for calling the time out and always thought Pete Carroll was a douche (to a lesser extent) for running a play. anyway, can't remember if i had the over for the game or just the 2nd half. either way i won the bet. :)
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago I like Toppin in the starting lineup. Maybe it’s time for Martin to sit.
This is exactly what I would like to see
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Game was over. Davidson and URI players were headed off the court. You don’t shoot that shot even if the shot clock is going to expire with 1 second to go. Let the shot clock expire. But he did shoot it and he got 3 points added to his point total. Wonder what Cox would say? Russell released the shot from right in front of David Cox and in front of Steve and Don wonder what Don’s reaction was and if given on the post game show? I wonder about the opinions of Bill Koch, Frank Carpano and others on Press Row were on the timing of the shot? Was if ok or not ok to take it?
Wait, Fryuh Frank was in Kingston? Did the mental hospital give him permission? Did Channel 10 charter a helicopter for him? Did he try to get into Keaney first?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Who cares what any of those people think tbh
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago Stevie, the vet who was honored was John Stellitano from Westerly. He was a freshman football player at R.I. State in 1941. He left to join the Army Air Corps after Pearl Harbor and served throughout the war. He was shot down once. He got his degree after the war and became a teacher, then high school coach in Westerly and later principal and superintendent. As a westerly native, I don’t know him personally but he is a legendary figure, truly one of the greatest generation. I’m glad he was honored.

BTW I agree about the singer who didn’t appear to be more than 12 years old.
Thanks for posting the details. He's an amazing man. And the PA announcer did a great job of emphasizing HOW MANY astounding accomplishments this man has. "He flew the maximum number of missions during World War II ... and that's not all ..."
Agree. What an amazing guy. It was almost like he had done so much, he needed a half hour show, not just a timeout, to list his accomplishments.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago You guys forget these kids live actual lives OFF THE COURT. They have girlfriends, friends, enemies, etc.....

Stop reading so deeply into everything. They are growing up before our eyes, life goes on.
Exactly!

Back when I was a student we all used AIM and all had Away Messages that pretty much said the same kind of thing Rese is saying. 💁🏼‍♀️
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago TS used to only be at her Watch Hill house a couple weeks a year.

17 mil for a vacation home.

I think I saw where the house recently sold however. Can anybody confirm that?

She's now the highest paid entertainer in the business.
I was there!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Game was over. Davidson and URI players were headed off the court. You don’t shoot that shot even if the shot clock is going to expire with 1 second to go. Let the shot clock expire. But he did shoot it and he got 3 points added to his point total. Wonder what Cox would say? Russell released the shot from right in front of David Cox and in front of Steve and Don wonder what Don’s reaction was and if given on the post game show? I wonder about the opinions of Bill Koch, Frank Carpano and others on Press Row were on the timing of the shot? Was if ok or not ok to take it?
Wait, Fryuh Frank was in Kingston? Did the mental hospital give him permission? Did Channel 10 charter a helicopter for him? Did he try to get into Keaney first?
You, sir, always give me a good laugh with these comments. 😂
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Stupid that anyone gives a damn Fatts made the three.

Davidson didnt stop playing! They were running at us.

Fire it up there.

11 point win good for the NET.

Also SCREWWWWW Davidson.

HOPE we hurt their feelings.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Why do we have inconsistent shooters while UR and DU don't? (OK DU has a bad shooting percentage against URI.)

I feel that UR's and DU's shooters have a better shooting form that provides a more consistent result than URI's shooters who are more athletic. Whether it is a golf swing, tennis stroke or shooting a basketball, progress requires a willingness to accept greater inconsistency for long-term improvement. and not something you are going to do mid-season.

URI started the DU game with Toppin at the high post. I liked the lookm but it would't work with Fatts in the game.
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
I agree. Can’t get enough of those comments. And R.I. Red now provides his commentary from Sunny Florida. Love how the Mental Hospital and the Cartel still bugs the heck out of him as it does me.
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Mark Macon »

He is on the payroll at PC, after all.
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Mark Macon »

Mark Macon wrote: 4 years ago He is on the payroll at PC, after all (fact).
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mark Macon wrote: 4 years ago
Mark Macon wrote: 4 years ago He is on the payroll at PC, after all (fact).

What is he paid for?
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I haven't watched channel 10 News/Sports in it feels like a solid decade, but if he is still the main Sports guy there, then I guess the answer to your question is:

"he plugs the Friars on the air during his broadcasts every single chance he gets like he always has" ?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....as the PA voice at the Dump, I would expect nothing less......although to his credit, at an NP restaurant a few years back, he did get me an update on the EC injury report.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago Stevie, the vet who was honored was John Stellitano from Westerly. He was a freshman football player at R.I. State in 1941. He left to join the Army Air Corps after Pearl Harbor and served throughout the war. He was shot down once. He got his degree after the war and became a teacher, then high school coach in Westerly and later principal and superintendent. As a westerly native, I don’t know him personally but he is a legendary figure, truly one of the greatest generation. I’m glad he was honored.

BTW I agree about the singer who didn’t appear to be more than 12 years old.
Thanks for posting the details. He's an amazing man. And the PA announcer did a great job of emphasizing HOW MANY astounding accomplishments this man has. "He flew the maximum number of missions during World War II ... and that's not all ..."
Agree. What an amazing guy. It was almost like he had done so much, he needed a half hour show, not just a timeout, to list his accomplishments.
R74! Thanks for posting the details. He definitely deserved the big O he received and more.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I haven't watched channel 10 News/Sports in it feels like a solid decade, but if he is still the main Sports guy there, then I guess the answer to your question is:

"he plugs the Friars on the air during his broadcasts every single chance he gets like he always has" ?
Always has. I called him out on Twitter once about not giving URI proper acknowledgement during his broadcasts, and he said "I do report on URI"... something along those lines. Yeah, buddy, it's like the RI logo on the screen saying "URI beat Duquesne 71-65", and then right after that gives a huge (hair) plug to the David Cooley Sunday Night Show that he hosts.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

I agree. Can’t get enough of those comments. And R.I. Red now provides his commentary from Sunny Florida. Love how the Mental Hospital and the Cartel still bugs the heck out of him as it does me.
Glad you enjoy them!
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.