1/5 | Richmond | 12:00PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DevRam
Kenny Green

Re: 1/5 | Richmond | 12:00PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Unread post by DevRam »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
DevRam wrote: 4 years ago
BlackDogRants wrote: 4 years ago

I got flamed on Twitter for saying this - but - Hurley might have had a crystal ball and saw that this program had peaked.
Don't believe that at all. He wants to win NCAA championships. UCONN has that ceiling URI simply does not. There was definitely room to make it further than the round of 32 if your thinking that would be as far as he would go.
Well he ain't dancing this year and that's 2 at uconn.
You arent actually doubting Hurley are you? It takes more than two years to rebuild a program the way you want to run it. Especially any one ran by Kevin Ollie!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Don't believe that at all. He wants to win NCAA championships. UCONN has that ceiling URI simply does not. There was definitely room to make it further than the round of 32 if your thinking that would be as far as he would go.
You arent actually doubting Hurley are you? It takes more than two years to rebuild a program the way you want to run it. Especially any one ran by Kevin Ollie!
Hell, Harrick came in here at URI and took the team to the Elite 8. In his first season. Yeah at URI with all our 5* players. LOL. But he did recruit the # 1 player to URI his second season.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Not much to add from today’s game besides what’s already been said. I don’t know about anyone else (coaches, players, fans), but I am breaking out the cliche (and the obvious) that everyone needs to forget about conference final standings, NET ranking, etc and strictly focus on the next game. We have to hope this slump ends soon or the RC will not be a fun place in a month, with no meaningful games. Many of the students will probably jump ship.
They need to develop an offensive identity that doesn’t include the three point shot. Unfortunately, Rhody doesn’t have a knockdown shooter. As many of us have already stated, recruiting philosophy needs to change to bring a shooter or two in. This is the modern game.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Hell, Harrick came in here at URI and took the team to the Elite 8. In his first season. Yeah at URI with all our 5* players. LOL. But he did recruit the # 1 player to URI his second season.
That was a package deal with Jerry DeGregorio. Talk about a guy who lived off Lamar Odom. Got a job with the Lakers also. Harrick did get him though
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

To set the record straight:

MTSU sucks, so don't get all excited about URI playing their best game against them.

Chris Mooney is a very good coach. Don't trash Cox for being out-coached by Chris.

Tyrese played hard today. He was clearly our best player on the court.

There is a lack of cohesiveness that is causing defensive mistakes. This is the results of bad coaching.

Why does URI come out each half and run the weave? Warm up before each half.

Is Fatts a captain? Why?
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago To set the record straight:

MTSU sucks, so don't get all excited about URI playing their best game against them.

Chris Mooney is a very good coach. Don't trash Cox for being out-coached by Chris.

Tyrese played hard today. He was clearly our best player on the court.

There is a lack of cohesiveness that is causing defensive mistakes. This is the results of bad coaching.

Why does URI come out each half and run the weave? Warm up before each half.

Is Fatts a captain? Why?
Now you've crossed the line. It's The Weave, not 'the weave'. And, it's been our most consistent offensive weapon all year. :lol:
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Why would anybody think that the players are staging some kind of revolution against Cox, when someone here (guess who) said it was the administration that determined Dana's suspension?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Harrick inherited a tournament team with all of its key players coming back. He didn’t rebuild anything. He came here specifically because everything was in place to do what he did, he did it then he cashed out. I’m not going to trash the guy but I think people maybe overrate what he did here, at least in terms of level of difficulty.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
Harrick inherited a tournament team with all of its key players coming back. He didn’t rebuild anything. He came here specifically because everything was in place to do what he did, he did it then he cashed out. I’m not going to trash the guy but I think people maybe overrate what he did here, at least in terms of level of difficulty.
You're kidding right?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
It was all Al Skinner’s players. He did a good job coaching them, but inherited the best URI team in school history. He made a smart move taking the job as you mentioned with a great chance for success coming to URI
theblueram
Frank Keaney

No one left? Not one transfer? Whoa. Why would these talented players all stay at URI for a new coach? Could it be he won a National Championship at UCLA? Cmon.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Obviously this game thread has gone amok. As has this season. We sit at 8-5 with no big wins and a loss to Brown. So we discuss things about better times.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago No one left? Not one transfer? Whoa. Why would these talented players all stay at URI for a new coach? Could it be he won a National Championship at UCLA? Cmon.
Yes, of course. It was a great situation for both the players and the coach. Match made in heaven and it worked for everyone, including us. But it has zero similarity to Dan going to UConn where he replaced a coach who was fired for negligently running the program into the ground.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Obviously this game thread has gone amok. As has this season. We sit at 8-5 with no big wins and a loss to Brown. So we discuss things about better times.
It’s like whatever plague had set in at Providence that resulted in them looking lifeless and disengaged took a ride down 95 south and infected Kingston. Just abysmal these last two games.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

It's been a rough start to 2020 for the Patriots and Rhody Rams. It looks like Toppin was trying hard to rally the guys to make a run today. I didn't see the Brown game but Steve and Don barely mentioned his name during that game. I got more questions than answers. Was Tate a player that other players fed off of emotionally?
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Not a good day in Kingston a few boo birds were taking flight
This I really didn’t understand. I too was frustrated as I expected a better effort from this team the last couple games, but I would not boo my own team. Boo the refs, yup. Boo the opponent, ok. Boo PC, of course. But not the home team!
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

Our offensive game plan needs some work. They played man against us today and I think I saw 3 good ball screens maybe. Zero for 5 or 6 coming out after timeouts on successful scores. We have 15 seconds of any playmaking concept and then if it’s well defended we are back to dribble drive - I got this - (no dish except maybe one in 8 times). Proper spacing is a challenge. Probably because we refuse to move more than one guy in motion on any set play. After a film and a scout it’s not too hard to defend. 3 assists in the first half? I was shocked. I honestly thought we had less. That’s the most disturbing problem I had today.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 4 years ago
JFrech21 wrote: 4 years ago
BleedBlue87 wrote: 4 years ago I'm not a fitness expert by any means but these lifts look a little heavy.

Maybe effecting the shooting?
Key point is highlighted above.
Cool, want to elaborate on training for us then?
Here we go again with the anti weightlifting posts... 🙄

Example, I paused the video at at Toppin lifting 45lbs weight plates. That is a total of 90lbs. If you think that is heavy weight lifting for someone who is 6’8”, I don’t know what to tell you.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Just one comment:

Martin may have a lot of talent in certain areas of the game, but he is one horrible passer. Like O.M.G. bad.

He passes the ball to spots where players used to be on the floor, a split second after they are gone and out of sight, and the pass looks like someone handling a potato that has been boiling in a pot of water.

He belongs on the wing, doing his thing, he should not be considered "a ball handler" and when we get that new front court in next year, the future of this program, with Fatts in his final season and hopefully Sheppard to provide some shooting and veteran leadership, I would think that Martin's minutes might diminish a little, as he transitions to a role where he's not part of the backcourt makeup at all.

In the meantime, could someone please tell him to take his time finding an open teammate? Those turnovers passing the ball away are daggers.
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Just one comment:

Martin may have a lot of talent in certain areas of the game, but he is one horrible passer. Like O.M.G. bad.

He passes the ball to spots where players used to be on the floor, a split second after they are gone and out of sight, and the pass looks like someone handling a potato that has been boiling in a pot of water.

He belongs on the wing, doing his thing, he should not be considered "a ball handler" and when we get that new front court in next year, the future of this program, with Fatts in his final season and hopefully Sheppard to provide some shooting and veteran leadership, I would think that Martin's minutes might diminish a little, as he transitions to a role where he's not part of the backcourt makeup at all.

In the meantime, could someone please tell him to take his time finding an open teammate? Those turnovers passing the ball away are daggers.
Reese is only in the early stages of his sophomore season with plenty of time to improve his ball skills. He has the size of an NBA guard/forward and I think he still has a lot of potential. Hard to point a finger at one guy when the whole team is struggling.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

You know, we may have the next Cuttino Mobley somewhere on our roster, stranger things have happened.

But if that is the hope here, that one guy needs to build his resume at the expense of winning, then I think that is misplaced. The resume manifests itself, when the winning takes place, just like it did for Cat. Not vice versa.

Someone tell this kid his transition game his hurting this team. Slow it down, and get try to get something out of each possession instead of wasting them. This isn't AAU ball.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

We are just short of mid-season and it apparent this team is a clone of last year, so expect no better results than then. We have seen in the last two games a version of street ball where the key players are looking to get the team back into the game with heroics. The response to adversity on the part of some is not to stay cool, but to engage in emotionally induced actions - bad passes, rushed shots, poor shot selection, no team cohesion, etc.

If there is dissatisfaction in the stands, it is because this team is not enjoyable to watch. More like getting a root canal. So expect the crowds to thin out.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I fear that attendance will not be good for Wednesday’s game, given these last two poor performances. Weeknight game, post holidays, so everyone back at work, students still on break, not a mini pack game. I’m on the fence myself. Not sure if I want to make the 30 mile drive after a long day of work to see a repeat of Thursday and today.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago We were up by 30 points on Alabama and 20 on Providence. This team has shown its capabilities. They’ll come back.

Huh?
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I try not to post too soon after a loss. But wtf we're watching the wheels fall off the bus in real time. This is why I love the off-season, I'm the off-season optimist, three months ago we were NCAA tournament bound, now we're an NIT bubble team and fading. Ugh
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago We are just short of mid-season and it apparent this team is a clone of last year, so expect no better results than then. We have seen in the last two games a version of street ball where the key players are looking to get the team back into the game with heroics. The response to adversity on the part of some is not to stay cool, but to engage in emotionally induced actions - bad passes, rushed shots, poor shot selection, no team cohesion, etc.

If there is dissatisfaction in the stands, it is because this team is not enjoyable to watch. More like getting a root canal. So expect the crowds to thin out.
Last year we entered conference play 7-5 with a much easier schedule too. Jeff is struggling right now but the team has clearly improved from last year and are just struggling to work together at times. URI has lost ONE home game this season (w/o student section) so to say your dissatisfied over it is just complete ignorance. I’ve gone to every home game this year and can say each one has been entertaining as hell. If you don’t enjoy the process of watching the freshman grow, Fatts do Fatts things, Cyril body people, Toppin dunk from another country and watch how the players absorb the crowds energy and thrive off it then maybe you should just watch it on your couch. Real fans fans will cheer no matter what.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago We were up by 30 points on Alabama and 20 on Providence. This team has shown its capabilities. They’ll come back.

Huh?
I misspoke on the game point leads . Point is, they have proven that they can put up good numbers against good teams.
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago We are just short of mid-season and it apparent this team is a clone of last year, so expect no better results than then. We have seen in the last two games a version of street ball where the key players are looking to get the team back into the game with heroics. The response to adversity on the part of some is not to stay cool, but to engage in emotionally induced actions - bad passes, rushed shots, poor shot selection, no team cohesion, etc.

Last year we entered conference play 7-5 with a much easier schedule too. Jeff is struggling right now but the team has clearly improved from last year and are just struggling to work together at times. URI has lost ONE home game this season (w/o student section) so to say your dissatisfied over it is just complete ignorance. I’ve gone to every home game this year and can say each one has been entertaining as hell. If you don’t enjoy the process of watching the freshman grow, Fatts do Fatts things, Cyril body people, Toppin dunk from another country and watch how the players absorb the crowds energy and thrive off it then maybe you should just watch it on your couch. Real fans fans will cheer no matter what.
I like you! That statement about Toppin, agreed 💯
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

I like you! That statement about Toppin, agreed 💯
The lack of optimism right now by everyone is killing me! We are in a hole right now but if last year didn’t prove to you anything can be turned around then idk what will. I am hopeful Cox and Co. will indeed turn things around with 95% of the conference schedule still ahead of us.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I'm not sure people don't think things can be turned around , I think they had greater hopes for this team than they are seeing on the court .
I include myself among the very disappointed . At this point , It is highly unlikely that an at large bid to the NCAA tournament can be gained .
Is it possible ? Sure if you maybe beat either Dayton or Vcu twice and one of them once as well while breezing through most of the A 10 games
and finishing 14-4 in league by going 14-3 the rest of the way and then winning two in the tournament to finish 24-8 . But how much money
would you wager on that scenario ? Prior to the Brown loss things were looking up , but these two losses were devastating. Now their only hope
to get into the Dance is a run through the A10 tournament to the championship . Right now that option too looks bleak , but if they can turn it
around immediately and take a one game at a time approach you never know . So we will have to once again hope for such a turn around and
try to believe it can happen . There is a game Wednesday and I will be making a 5 hour trip from South Jersey hoping to watch a winning
performance . Note that I said hope because I have nothing on which to base a belief that that will happen , but My wife and I will be there
to support the team and hopefully cheer them on to victory . The team needs everyone to be there Wednesday . Wednesday is game one.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Whoever said this team is similar to last year's is spot on.

Streaky but even last year's team beat some good teams late in the season.

This team hasn't done that yet, and will they?

It's not just one thing that's the issue...there's a lot of things.

If Cox doesn't bring in a couple guys who can shoot, things aren't going to get much better next season.

Also if they don't rededicate themselves to playing good D, what will any of it matter?
dave11to28
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by dave11to28 »

Agree with the person who said he is driving from
Nj to support this team. I also live 2 hours away and make the trip almost every home game driving 2 hours each way. At this point, this team doesn’t need this negativity. If you are already giving up on this team this early then good riddance . I am
Just as frustrated as the rest of you with the past 2 games but it is still early and I’m
Not giving up yet. See you all Wednesday. Hopefully you show up as this team needs us.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

I still support the team but am very disappointed. The team shows a lack of chemistry and enthusiasm that is mind boggling. I’ve said it before (as have others) until we get a couple of decent shooters we will have difficulty beating any good teams that have a smart coach. All the opponent has to do is zone us or pack the lane like Brown and Richmond did and we’ve seen the results. We don’t shoot consistently well enough to break a zone or force teams to spread out. Every time we drive it’s into at least 3 opponents.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......let’s talk the current defense; yes we did get used to a consistent high standard of individual and team defensive intensity during the Hurley years that became the staple of those teams.....it seems to me my expectations of the continuance of that standard of the Cox are wrong......my concern is not the man vs zone debate, but rather that the defense first as the team calling card is gone......when I hear, read from Coach Cox and some posters that the defense is “fine, high level tonite”, and we loose it leaves me to think the individual and team defensive standards have been lowered......what I don’t see is the consistent intensity of ball pressure, chasing off the three point line, passing lane disruption, forcing turnovers, weak side rotation, not letting teams get comfortable in their sets, not getting critical stops then scoring, forcing teams to go deep into their shot clock, and creating offense from defense.....if the defensive game plan for the Princeton style offenses is to keep everything in front, then I guess we just chalk up the success potential against those teams is lights out shooting......I get each coach has their own style and defensive philosophy, regardless defense should be consistent individual and team effort from game to game as the offense/shooting is the crap shoot.......no?
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The goal every year is to make the tournament. We turned it around last year. So what? Did we make the tournament? We're doing the same thing as last year, digging a hole so the only route to the tournament is winning the A10 tournament. Does anyone really think we can win the A10 tournament with the depth (or the talent compared to the Daytons and the VCUs) that we have? I like to be optimistic, but at the same time, realistic. I don't see it at all.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

He belongs on the wing, doing his thing, he should not be considered "a ball handler" ,,,
I don't recall Richmond pressuring the ball in the back-court. Tyrese playing SG in this game would not have exposed his ball-handling liabilities. Jeff is more than capable to handle the point with Tyrese and Jacob on the wings.

In Fatts great game against MTSU, he had a double-double, not in points and assists that you would expect from a 5'8" guard, but points and rebounds. At his best, Fatts doesn't make his teammates better.

As for assists, if you don't score, no one gets an assist. Low scoring means low assists. Also, when you score, you cannot also get an assist. Keep these obvious facts in mind when the low number of assists are discussed.
NCAAs or Bust!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

NCAA's or bust!
There are 350+ teams, we want to be top 50 each year with real top 25 aspirations. We have about a 4% chance to crack the top 50 before post season and about a 0% chance to be top 25. Pardon me if I for one am suffering some disappointment with regards to this year's version of Ncaa's or bust.
Go Rhody!!!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago I can't believe what I just heard coach Cox a on the post game show. "I thought our defense played really well." :shock:
I thought Defense was fine as well. Offense STUNK!
The defense wasn't great, but they allowed 0.99 points per possession. They have won every game where they've allowed less than 1.00 PPP up until yesterday.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago NCAA's or bust!
There are 350+ teams, we want to be top 50 each year with real top 25 aspirations. We have about a 4% chance to crack the top 50 before post season and about a 0% chance to be top 25. Pardon me if I for one am suffering some disappointment with regards to this year's version of Ncaa's or bust.
and this is not equivalent to giving up on the team, it's facing the reality of our post season chances, like every other season I will, watch, listen to or attend every game possible.
Go Rhody!!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago

He belongs on the wing, doing his thing, he should not be considered "a ball handler" ,,,
I don't recall Richmond pressuring the ball in the back-court. Tyrese playing SG in this game would not have exposed his ball-handling liabilities. Jeff is more than capable to handle the point with Tyrese and Jacob on the wings.

In Fatts great game against MTSU, he had a double-double, not in points and assists that you would expect from a 5'8" guard, but points and rebounds. At his best, Fatts doesn't make his teammates better.

As for assists, if you don't score, no one gets an assist. Low scoring means low assists. Also, when you score, you cannot also get an assist. Keep these obvious facts in mind when the low number of assists are discussed.
Fatts had 10 points and 10 assists against MTSU.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago

Fatts had 10 points and 10 assists against MTSU.
You can say the reverse as well, low scoring comes from low assists.
Good passing leads to better, higher percentage shots and therefore higher assists
Poor passing leads to worse, lower percentage shots and therefore lower assists
More dribbling, more one on one, more hero ball lends itself to fewer assists.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we could shoot just a little better and actually make a few more FT's, we could win games like the last two.

But we aren't. And that's disheartening.

But where is the ball movement that we saw earlier?

If we were doing that, we'd be getting better shots and could even make a few more of them.

Doing this, we could win even with the mediocre defense we're playing. At least beat teams like Brown and Richmond anyway.

If we leave the 3 open for Davidson though, they won't miss. And VCU? That's going to be ugly.

I am also not giving up. Just facing reality, as I always do. Just sucks, that's all.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Fatt's is not the problem, he has heart coming out his ears. This team was set up to have enough talent to go to the NCAA's and it's been one personnel issue after another, it, without a doubt, fucks with team cohesion. Like I have with every coach I've followed at URI, even CFL, I give them their dues, but also admit what's lacking or diminishing. I said I've been impressed with Cox on the whole, but those that want to absolve him from blame where the roster is always churning and disrupting cohesion, get a clue.
Go Rhody!!!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Assist to FG ratio is probably the most critical statistic for this Rhody team...when its in the positive +50% it means we are moving the ball, adjusting the defense and taking higher percentage shots. Easy offense. Our biggest issue last year, we had to grind for every basket, we did not generate a lot of easy/open shots. We took a lot of difficult/contested perimeter shots. That issue has come back to plague us these last 2 games and our putrid A/FG numbers are just a byproduct of that.
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Fatt's is not the problem, he has heart coming out his ears. This team was set up to have enough talent to go to the NCAA's and it's been one personnel issue after another, it, without a doubt, fucks with team cohesion. Like I have with every coach I've followed at URI, even CFL, I give them their dues, but also admit what's lacking or diminishing. I said I've been impressed with Cox on the whole, but those that want to absolve him from blame where the roster is always churning and disrupting cohesion, get a clue.
Fatts has plenty of heart, sure, but he's also a sub-.400 shooter — and when he's off for the first 30 minutes of a game he rarely turns it around suddenly for the last 10. So it's incumbent on him to stop trying to be the hero or for Cox to adjust the lineup.

Fatts coming up with the ball and then missing a meaningless three as time expired was a fitting ending to the day yesterday. (Just as a broken pylon that wasn't emitting any smoke during the player intros was a fitting beginning.)
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I keep seeing that we need to bring in "shooters" to compete and win.

We don't though. You don't need to be a good shooting team to be a good basketball team.

What you do need to do is play to your strengths. If you're not a good shooting team, settling for outside shots isn't going to get it done.

We have possibly the longest and most athletic team we've ever had up and down the roster. We have a short, gifted finisher in Fatts Russell.

This weave at the top of the key doesn't work if there's no motion to open up a lane underneath. The "high post" ball handler doesn't work if no one moves around him.

No back door cuts. No motion anywhere inside the 3 point line.

This team should be going to the basket 90% of the time. We don't have a single consistent shooter.

On top of that, if you don't have shooters, you need to be a good defensive team. To be a good defensive team - especially when you play predominantly man defense - it just takes EFFORT. I've seen maybe 3 mins of defensive effort at guarding the 3 point line and that was right after the half against Brown.

The other 77 minutes have been trash, lazy, and uninspired defense. If I've had one criticism of Dave's coaching, it's been his perceived lack of emotion. I think he's a brilliant basketball mind. I think he understands the game at an incredibly high level - but teams tend to get their emotional cues from their coach.

Hurley was a great example. On a completely different wave length Izzo, Boeheim, Coach K - all firey guys who's teams produce on the defensive end.

If we can't shoot we can still win. We just need to recognize that and play to our strengths instead of trying the huck and chuck to keep up with better shooting teams.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago I keep seeing that we need to bring in "shooters" to compete and win.

We don't though. You don't need to be a good shooting team to be a good basketball team.

What you do need to do is play to your strengths. If you're not a good shooting team, settling for outside shots isn't going to get it done.

We have possibly the longest and most athletic team we've ever had up and down the roster. We have a short, gifted finisher in Fatts Russell.

This weave at the top of the key doesn't work if there's no motion to open up a lane underneath. The "high post" ball handler doesn't work if no one moves around him.

This team should be going to the basket 90% of the time. We don't have a single consistent shooter.

On top of that, if you don't have shooters, you need to be a good defensive team. To be a good defensive team - especially when you play predominantly man defense - it just takes EFFORT. I've seen maybe 3 mins of defensive effort at guarding the 3 point line and that was right after the half against Brown.

The other 77 minutes have been trash, lazy, and uninspired defense. If I've had one criticism of Dave's coaching, it's been his perceived lack of emotion. I think he's a brilliant basketball mind. I think he understands the game at an incredibly high level - but teams tend to get their emotional cues from their coach.

Hurley was a great example. On a completely different wave length Izzo, Boeheim, Coach K - all firey guys who's teams produce on the defensive end.

If we can't shoot we can still win. We just need to recognize that and play to our strengths instead of trying the huck and chuck to keep up with better shooting teams.
And that aggressive defense creates some easy baskets. As a poor shooting team, we need a few of those each game. As you call it, lazy and uninspired defense isn't going to create any of those.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago I keep seeing that we need to bring in "shooters" to compete and win.

And that aggressive defense creates some easy baskets. As a poor shooting team, we need a few of those each game. As you call it, lazy and uninspired defense isn't going to create any of those.
Bingo.. that is how this team needs to play.. way too many open 3's for Richmond and if golden didn't have such a horrible game would have lost by 20. Our best games are when we cause turnovers and get out and run for easy buckets
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

I know our defense was god awful yesterday but when is this team (especially Martin) gonna learn to think before they pass the ball? So many stupid bonehead passes yesterday that cost us turnovers. As bad as the shooting was yesterday, they shouldn't be giving the ball away so easily.