Dana Tate Transfers to Siena

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Re: Tate

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago Haha. Just read rhody72s comment on Dana. It’s laughable. Last week, people on the forum were whining about Cox not having enough depth. Now (following Walkers good game) we have a poster saying guys should consider transferring now that we have an extra forward. Love this stuff.
This is a long season guys.. people get hurt, good forwards are not exactly a dime a dozen. Tate will be back, we’ll be fine. He’s a big part of this team and a big part of the future.
He has a history of brutal posts and takes
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

This is as much a chance for a young man to get his personal life together as it is a punishment. People wanting Cox to "hurry" him back don't understand this.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Running Ram, as long as Dana, his teammates & the staff understand the discipline and in general agree with it there is no issue. There is no need for Coach Cox or URI Athletics to make the infraction public to the fan base. In most cases the student’s right to privacy would prevent the university (coach, Athletic Dept etc) from disclosing any details about the infraction.
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RunningRam,

Team rules/university rules are often synonymous.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago This is as much a chance for a young man to get his personal life together as it is a punishment. People wanting Cox to "hurry" him back don't understand this.
If that’s the case, they should have said that he is taking some time away from the team for non-basketball reasons, not that he is suspended. I don’t want Cox to “hurry him” if he isn’t ready to play, but that also doesn’t really feel like a suspension. If he’s suspended, it implies he wants to be playing and would if they would let him - and if that’s the case, without knowing the specifics of why he isn’t here now, I’d think at this point he should be allowed to play again. That’s not the same as wanting Cox to hurry him.

Also, I’m not looking for the program to air the kid’s dirty laundry in order to justify what’s going on with him, but this has been presented officially as a suspension by the basketball program. A suspension is a disciplinary action where usually the player wants to play and they won’t let him. Meanwhile, the hints have generally suggested that this is a personal matter that Dana is dealing with, as if he’s on sabbatical. If it’s really more the latter than the former, I’m not sure how it is helpful to him to say he is suspended.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

He's transferring per Koch.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Wow. I guess the long suspension did it for him. He has great enthusiasm and I hope you're wrong 104
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Unfortunate, but I am not surprised.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Time for a banner change I guess.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Not good.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Last edited by hrstrat57 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Damn it sorry to hear this
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Wish Dana nothing but the best. Hopefully he can put whatever is going on in his life behind him and move forward.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This hurts. Dana was ahead of Toppin and Long. They just lost the guy who started the year as 6th man and would’ve slid to 7th guy with Walker eligible.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

What the fuck man.

Of course you wish him well, but is this really necessary?
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Man this is sad more than anything. I remember dana being the first player to support the program and the fans after Hurley leaving saying he only wanted to play for cox . Seemed to be a nice good kid. Never seen a season with really good positive results on court and so much disappointing news off the court. Now have 3 scholarships. Maybe this is a sign doherty is going to be top priority for URI.
Section104
Art Stephenson

I'm disappointed because I entered this year with high hopes for Dana...

That said, given his performance year to date and the progression of Long + Toppin, the recent improvement from Harris, and the addition of Walker I don't see it as a major loss - as long as we don't suffer any major injuries.

Long, Toppin, Walker, and Tate all play a similar position as a hybrid 3/4 that is probably our deepest position if you group Harris and Martin in the same category.

I think this is a loss for practice competition (if Dougherty commits when does he begin practice?). From what we know about Dougherty and DJ they, too, play a similar position so long-term I don't see it as a huge loss.

Hopefully this allows for Toppin/Long to get continued run and added experience and confidence over time. It sounds like maybe he's heading closer to home, or near someone that is of importance to him? Hope he lands on his feet and has a rebound career if and when he returns.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Season wise, I'm not pissed. But I liked the kid. Wish him luck.
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Now down to 8 available scholarship players, unless they decide to forget about redshirting Johnson.
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Full update on Dana Tate.

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I wish him well but we will be Ok Toppin will be better long term and Long has potential

We need to get more players for next year though
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bill Koch wrote: 4 years ago Full update on Dana Tate.

And one is being redshirted, for now...
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Bill, nice article. I hope you can find out what happenedz
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I wish I could say that I am shocked, but I am not shocked.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago I'm disappointed because I entered this year with high hopes for Dana...

That said, given his performance year to date and the progression of Long + Toppin, the recent improvement from Harris, and the addition of Walker I don't see it as a major loss - as long as we don't suffer any major injuries.

Long, Toppin, Walker, and Tate all play a similar position as a hybrid 3/4 that is probably our deepest position if you group Harris and Martin in the same category.

I think this is a loss for practice competition (if Dougherty commits when does he begin practice?). From what we know about Dougherty and DJ they, too, play a similar position so long-term I don't see it as a huge loss.

Hopefully this allows for Toppin/Long to get continued run and added experience and confidence over time. It sounds like maybe he's heading closer to home, or near someone that is of importance to him? Hope he lands on his feet and has a rebound career if and when he returns.

I hear you, but Long is not as good of a player as Tate.

We will be fine without him, but our ceiling is not as high without him.

The was a hell of a lot more than a practice player. He had extremely high praise coming into the year coming from Cox.

I mean, look at the Alabama game, that was as good a game as anyone has had for us this year.

This whole situation is weird.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Dana Tate to Transfer

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Chris Doherty makes even more sense now.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Bill, nice article. I hope you can find out what happenedz
It would be irresponsible to publicize that information. It could be a detriment to the player.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Chris Doherty makes even more sense now.
Yeah if doherty has interest in uri it is a no brainer now with 3 open. If he signs to rhody I would take a deep breath about the tate situation. Let's hope uri can close this. Would think we would hear something within next few weeks.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Tate is wildly underrated by this board. Kid can play. I’m really upset to see him go. I sure hope Cox handled this the right way. Maybe being the only kid from NE on a team made up mostly of DMV/EPA players and coaches, and the guy who recruited him leaving the program, left him feeling a little isolated. I hate it, because like I said I think he’s a good player but also NOBODY was more excited to come here out of high school or was prouder to be here when I’ve talked to him. He’s a good kid. I hope whatever is going on with him he gets it straightened out and he has a great college career somewhere.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

WoW

honestly speaking tho - I wasn’t impressed w his overall game - but maybe that is just me

Having said that - he contributed and wore the jersey w pride and it is a loss for our program

I feel sad for him - he seemed like a good leader and I am sorry for the kid

I thought his spirit and love of being a ram showed thru

I Hope Dana is at peace w this and I wish him the best
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes come on Chris Doherty announce you are coming to URI
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Bill, nice article. I hope you can find out what happenedz
It would be irresponsible to publicize that information. It could be a detriment to the player.
That’s fair. It’s just so odd.
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This has an impact on this year. Dana was the 6th man before getting suspended. Walker’s eligibility would’ve pushed him to 7th in rotation.
He is currently better than Toppin and Long. Tate is 230 lbs. Long is 195 and Toppin is 190. His size would’ve helped during Conference play.
Section104
Art Stephenson

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
Section104 wrote: 4 years ago I'm disappointed because I entered this year with high hopes for Dana...

I hear you, but Long is not as good of a player as Tate.

We will be fine without him, but our ceiling is not as high without him.

The was a hell of a lot more than a practice player. He had extremely high praise coming into the year coming from Cox.

I mean, look at the Alabama game, that was as good a game as anyone has had for us this year.

This whole situation is weird.
Huh? He had 9 points (6th leading scorer), 3 rebounds and 2 assists against Alabama. "As good a game as anyone has had for us this year?". I think you're discrediting some incredible games from Fatts, Dowtin, Cyril, and Martin with that comment.

Since then he had 0 points against Manhattan, 2 against LSU, 4 against North Texas, 2 against Nichols State, 5 against WVU and DNPs against PC, MTSU, and WKU (3 wins).

Again, I had extremely high hopes for him entering the year, but the reality is that for some reason things weren't clicking for him and we were seeing a regression. Anyone that was expecting him to come back and be a major contributor, at a position we have a lot of depth, after a significant absence is being unrealistic.

A loss, undoubtedly, but I think others can fill in just fine until we bring in some help next year.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

What sucks, is his last playing impression will be costing us the WVU game. Wish he could’ve gone out on a higher note.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago What sucks, is his last playing impression will be costing us the WVU game. Wish he could’ve gone out on a higher note.
How did Dana cost us the WV game? That is horrible spin on Dana leaving.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago What sucks, is his last playing impression will be costing us the WVU game. Wish he could’ve gone out on a higher note.
Wow. Class act as always. Embarrassing.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That's pretty pathetic.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Dc rams is referring to the technical foul I would assume.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Explain to me how Dana Tate is better than Toppin?

I loved his support of the program after Hurley bailed. He's a great kid and seemed like a great teammate. I wish him the best.
Last edited by steveystuds06 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Now down to 8 available scholarship players, unless they decide to forget about redshirting Johnson.
If one of the eight gets injured and is expected to miss more than a game or two, I think DC will have to seriously consider foregoing a red shirt year for DJ. I feel eight is a good number for a rotation as long as each bench player gets at least 10-12 minutes. You’re pushing your luck with seven players, though. One player tweaks an ankle and another one has foul trouble and you have serious issues.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I love his family. I will miss Dana. I hoped that he would stay. I wish him peace.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Wasn’t he sitting on the bench a week ago v. Western Kentucky and seemed to be all in with the program? Then the next week he doesn’t travel and the next thing you know is he has opted for the Transfer Portal. Wow. What could’ve gone so bad in the last seven days that made him change his mind? I have a feeling the transfer portal is being seen as a shiney object that solves all problems. It will be interesting to see how many enter the portal this year. Something tells me it will be significantly more than last year.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

No, guys, perhaps i wrote that wrong. I meant his costly tech at WVU was the last game he played, right? I wish he could’ve left us off a better performance, that’s all I meant. I truly love Dana as a person, I didn’t mean that as a shot.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

This will hurt us at some point this season- the schedule really picks up with games every three days for extended periods of time.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I wish Dana the best, but the reality is the position he plays is one we have the most depth at currently. Margin of error got smaller but an 8 man rotation is plenty good enough to get it done.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
How did Dana cost us the WV game? That is horrible spin on Dana leaving.
Spin? I wanted him to stay. I did not mean that the way you all are taking it. I apologize. My fault for that.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago No, guys, perhaps i wrote that wrong. I meant his costly tech at WVU was the last game he played, right? I wish he could’ve left us off a better performance, that’s all I meant. I truly love Dana as a person, I didn’t mean that as a shot.
I didn't view it as a shot at all. You're right. His tech did seriously cost us. It was a dumb decision from a great kid.

You've been nothing but supportive of Dana from day one on this board.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Maybe he thought he was going to be reinstated for Middle Tennessee. Maybe he thought with the emergence of Walker, Toppin, and Long he was going to be at the end of the bench. Maybe the Doherty rumors and another 3-4 were too much. I don’t know. That’s the problem. I just feel sad for the team. It seems like every time we make a step forward, we take another step back.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.