Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by section(105) »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago If we need alcohol in the stands to increase attendance I’d just as well keep attendance as is. Bring more fans in by winning, recruiting.
......here here, raise a glass and toast to that.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I would prefer keeping beer sales in the pub only, not in the seats. And I certainly like my beer.

But yes upgrade the pub, big time.
.......I will drink to that.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

If there are truly that many fans worried about keeping a family atmosphere one option would be to do what some arenas/stadiums do and have a "family" section where alcohol is not permitted. Personally I think this fear of beer sales leading to some crazy atmosphere that kids can't be around is overblown, but this solution would give people the choice.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Of the 14 Teams in the A10, how many allow alcohol to be consumed in the Stands?
Dayton - yes, I’ve been there
URI -no
UMASS
VCU
George Washington
Richmond
Davidson
LaSalle
Fordham
St Joseph’s
St Louis
George Mason
George Washington
Duquesne
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago If there are truly that many fans worried about keeping a family atmosphere one option would be to do what some arenas/stadiums do and have a "family" section where alcohol is not permitted. Personally I think this fear of beer sales leading to some crazy atmosphere that kids can't be around is overblown, but this solution would give people the choice.
The “family atmosphere” we keep chasing is why we have a lame crowd the 80% of the time there isn’t a big game.

It’s been a battle since the arena opened. God forbid we have fans enjoying themselves and *GASP* college kids consuming alcohol during the game. Not like they would binge nips in the student line or sneak them in.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LOL at people wanting a “family atmosphere” at an Division 1 basketball arena.

Go to your local youth league for a quiet family atmosphere.

People really showing their age with this one.
Last edited by Rhody15 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Of the 14 Teams in the A10, how many allow alcohol to be consumed in the Stands?
Dayton - yes, I’ve been there
URI -no
UMASS
VCU
George Washington
Richmond
Davidson
LaSalle
Fordham
St Joseph’s
St Louis
George Mason
George Washington
Duquesne
I've been to Mason and it's a Yes.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago If there are truly that many fans worried about keeping a family atmosphere one option would be to do what some arenas/stadiums do and have a "family" section where alcohol is not permitted. Personally I think this fear of beer sales leading to some crazy atmosphere that kids can't be around is overblown, but this solution would give people the choice.
The “family atmosphere” we keep chasing is why we have a lame crowd the 80% of the time there isn’t a big game.

It’s been a battle since the arena opened. God forbid we have fans enjoying themselves and *GASP* college kids consuming alcohol during the game. Not like they would binge nips in the student line or sneak them in.
Yep, 100% agree.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago So we want beer sales to bring in revenue? Sounds like the charge for parking idea as well.
$8 sounds like a lot for a beer at a college basketball game. It’s not all profit of $8 either. Cost of the beer, sales tax, trash disposal, possible extra security needed, etc.
Venues don’t sell beer to break even. It’s all about the profit. If you think $8 is a lot, what do you think of the $4 bottles of water at the RC???
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago So we want beer sales to bring in revenue? Sounds like the charge for parking idea as well.
$8 sounds like a lot for a beer at a college basketball game. It’s not all profit of $8 either. Cost of the beer, sales tax, trash disposal, possible extra security needed, etc.
Because you have no choice to park if you go to a game. You have a choice if you want to drink. You should provide that choice and have specific “family” sections that prohibit alcohol consumption like every other arena in the country.

Like it or not people enjoy drinking while watching sports. The same type of people who like drinking while watching sports are the type of people who yell and are loud and bring a home court advantage to an arena. Right, wrong, or otherwise, that’s the truth. Those loud fans benefit the home team. Considering we are all fans here, anything that benefits the home team helps us.

That, and the fact that extra profit could be used by the arena to, I don’t know, upgrade the WiFi or a myriad of other things that would improve the game day experience.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Phen Egap wrote: 4 years ago Throw Zoo Mass into the conversation, the atmosphere with beer in the seats with over juiced fans is obnoxious and just not enjoyable. Keep the Ryan Center the family friendly venue it has the reputation for. Is alcohol that important to enjoyment?
What? ZooMass doesn't get enough people to the games to have "atmosphere"...of any kind...do they?
Phen Egap
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Phen Egap »

Go to your local pub if beers what your looking for
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Regarding a 'family atmosphere', go to a Pawsox game or a P-Bruins game. Beer allowed in seats....tons of kids at the games.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Paid $16 a beer at the celtics game tonight. 8 a beer is a bargain.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Phen Egap wrote: 4 years ago Go to your local pub if beers what your looking for
I’m not picking on you, but I am genuinely curious how it is possible that a sports fan can have this opinion when every other major sports venue sells beer at games? Grabbing a beer at a sports game is synonymous with the culture of being a sports fan and as American as apple pie, but URI is so uniquely puritanical compared to the rest of the world that it needs to cordon the shameful beer usage and prevent anyone who would dare desire a beer from viewing the game they paid to see?

I’m honestly fascinated by this idea and want to understand it better.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......we know the NCAA hoop games etc have no beer in the buildings......their reasoning is based on what exactly......?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I know we’ve said that here a lot, but not sure the basis for it. According to this article, it does not seem to be the case. It seems like the rules may be set by the schools, the state government (in the case of public universities) or even by the conference, but no reference to the NCAA. It does seem like there is a decent mix of alcohol-friendly and non-alcohol arenas.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/2 ... 358400001/
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I love beer as much as anyone, and I am ok with drinking it in a segregated area. However, that area needs to be larger, and quicker access to the beer/wine/food is required. Better game-viewing would be nice too. I admit I usually just drink one or two pre-game and then at halftime. My complaint is that I have to miss the last few minutes of the first half to avoid waiting the entire halftime to get a beer.

That being said, I also have to agree that it is very annoying when fans, drunken or otherwise, slosh beer all over the place as they go by you. It's ridiculous in Fenway.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

OK, I'll change my stance on this.

Allow beer in the seats, but designate an alcohol free area.

Mohegan does it, and it works well.

At that arena though, the rows between seats and the seats themselves are so tight, the spilling of beer is a problem.

That place really isn't much bigger than the Ryan, but it holds 9900 for basketball.

Packed like sardines, especially if you're a large person.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I shared this photo of one of my Missouri relatives enjoying a brew on my visit to Chaifetz Arena several years ago. If the second oldest Jesuit university in the country allows beer at the seats, then so can we. What are we Puritans! (Please remember RI's historic tradition and Roger Williams who was opposed to Puritan orthodoxy)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago I shared this photo of one of my Missouri relatives enjoying a brew on my visit to Chaifetz Arena several years ago. If the second oldest Jesuit university in the country allows beer at the seats, then so can we. What are we Puritans! (Please remember RI's historic tradition and Roger Williams who was opposed to Puritan orthodoxy)
Puritanical ideology, indeed.

Since it was a noon start today I had a Dunkin iced coffee from concessions that tasted like complete garbage.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....did the Cue lights work any better...?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .....did the Cue lights work any better...?
No. Same very low number of lights spread sporadically.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago I shared this photo of one of my Missouri relatives enjoying a brew on my visit to Chaifetz Arena several years ago. If the second oldest Jesuit university in the country allows beer at the seats, then so can we. What are we Puritans! (Please remember RI's historic tradition and Roger Williams who was opposed to Puritan orthodoxy)
haha, Obi to add to this, I went to the Merrimack vs Robert Morris game on Sat (before any of you ask why??? I live 10 mins away and since they moved to D1 this year, albeit the NEC conference, it is nice to have D1 close to your backyard.)

Anyways, even though they play in a HS gym (1500 capacity I think), in their lobby of Hammel Court near normal concessions, they had a beer/wine kiosk. Prices were decent, $6-7 for craft, $5 for domestics, but the kicker is YOU COULD BRING UP TO TWO BEERS TO YOUR SEATS PER PERSON

I got a chuckle when grabbing my beers and thinking "wow, little ole Merrimack, new to the NEC conference lets you purchase and bring beers into their HS gym vs the Ryan Center"
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Good to see the concessions picked up their game for a noon game
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Good to see the concessions picked up their game for a noon game
They are nice people and very hard working, but next time I will refrain from buying a Dunkin coffee. Especially since I can’t bring one in from the outside.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Good to see the concessions picked up their game for a noon game
They had only one register open at every stand, lines were crazy all game
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I noticed they changed the hype song just prior to the player intros. It was more hype than the previous one. I could see the cheerleaders and Ramettes getting into it more. Unfortunately, it didn’t lead to a hyped team.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago I noticed they changed the hype song just prior to the player intros. It was more hype than the previous one. I could see the cheerleaders and Ramettes getting into it more. Unfortunately, it didn’t lead to a hyped team.
I don’t know full details but it is an original song as far as I know. Bring the Ruckus.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago I noticed they changed the hype song just prior to the player intros. It was more hype than the previous one. I could see the cheerleaders and Ramettes getting into it more. Unfortunately, it didn’t lead to a hyped team.
I don’t know full details but it is an original song as far as I know. Bring the Ruckus.
Not an original song
But I really love the song better than "going bad" from the previous video.
Great job by Anthony Garro once again.
Last edited by RhodyRams916 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
Not an original song
But I really love the song better than "sicko mode" from the previous video.
Omg thank you I feel like an idiot. Every song I was searching with Ruckus was Wu Tang. I know it wasn’t the Wu.

Anthony is doing a phenomenal job.

They were using Going Bad before, not Sicko Mode?
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
I’m about ready to give up. I’ve had the ap since the first game and all it does is continue to say “waiting to synch” it’s a waste of time.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Cue does not do a good job of cuing.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago

Not an original song
But I really love the song better than "sicko mode" from the previous video.
Omg thank you I feel like an idiot. Every song I was searching with Ruckus was Wu Tang. I know it wasn’t the Wu.

Anthony is doing a phenomenal job.

They were using Going Bad before, not Sicko Mode?
Lol my bad. Don’t ask why but I somehow got those 2 songs mixed up. I like “going bad” but not for a hype video
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago
I’m about ready to give up. I’ve had the ap since the first game and all it does is continue to say “waiting to synch” it’s a waste of time.

CUT CUE BAIT

amateur hour honestly

THINK BIG DO WE
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

emBARONSING !
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Cut Cue Bait!! I know it runs on blue tooth but it seems to not work for more than 30-50 people at the game. I feel bad for JV having to hype it if we can’t get it to work.

Before every game there is a Tweet to win a prize pack of swag, sponsored by RI Lottery. I always tweet at them referencing the WiFi. I am sure people who manage the facility see our posts here and tweets about the horrendous WiFi. 🤦🏼‍♀️
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Yeah I haven't got Cue to work yet either.

Also something I noticed on Sunday: can we get Rhody the Ram one of the new jerseys? He's still rocking last year's model with the cummerbund shorts.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago Yeah I haven't got Cue to work yet either.

Also something I noticed on Sunday: can we get Rhody the Ram one of the new jerseys? He's still rocking last year's model with the cummerbund shorts.
Cumby Horns!! :D :lol:

I noticed the under T-shirt blue was a little off, too.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Can we also light a little fire under his/her whatchamacallit?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago emBARONSING !
Cue-less :lol:
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

RAM67 wrote: 4 years ago Can we also light a little fire under his/her whatchamacallit?
I've only seen Rhody at the PC game, so I cant say much.
Last years Rhody graduated but that kid was fantastic. The wife loved him.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Crazy stuff...I didn't think that was possible?
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
They started at the bottom and now they're here.....

Sarcasm aside, it's amazing what university support for athletics can accomplish.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I don't even need wifi. Just let my gd phone work in the RC.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This is how the Cue works.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago This is how the Cue works.
Yes. This is how it works! I’ve done my due diligence- I have MacGuyver like qualities for figuring out things and this sh*t still isn’t working for me. 😅
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

OK here goes with my rant.

Let’s CUT CUE BAIT. It does not work. Period.
I tried it for the last time yesterday. It continuously says “waiting to synch” the few people that get it to work or even try to use is look flaccid and ridiculous like frankly no one gives a damn. Compare that to above.

More importantly is the awful sound system that JV has to use. I never quite hear everything he says but I think after years of being a season ticket holder I know what he is saying, so like a person who is hard of hearing, I can follow along. Yesterday, we had another couple with us from UConn who kept saying “what did he say” to both JV and Dan Yorke throughout the game.

Finally, the damn WIFI...

Done complaining, as my fingers are tired or I would have mentioned the 25 person line at the crappy concession stand near the North entrance with one person at the register.