F A T T S

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: F A T T S

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We need more guys to improve like he has, and we'd be golden.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....what I notice is his explosive first drive step around any defender that kinda stands up from their defensive, and he reads that and the blow by to the hoop is underway......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts is on his way to being 1st team A10 if he keeps it going.....

If we compete at the top of the A-10 he MIGHT have a chance to beat Obi for player of the year.

He may need a lot of 30 point games to do that.

Obi might have a conference season to remember.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Just as another illustration of how good he has been, I play in a fantasy college basketball league and Fatts is the #2 overall player in the country for fantasy. And yes, of course I drafted him!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Beating Obi isn't realistic, unless we win the conference regular season....which imo isn't happening unless something unfortunate happens injury wise to Dayton.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I think this season so far is just proof of what confidence can do for a player. Last year it was so headscratching that Fatts was missing as many shots as he was. He's got great form and a sweet stroke.

If he's averaging 20+ the rest of the way, and the rest of the team gets it going - we'll have the year we're expecting. Fatts can't do it alone but dear God does he look like he's trying to.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Adding to the Fatts improvement story. Last year we played West Virginia in our eighth game of season and at that point Fatts' three shooting was 9-55, .164 which was his lowest point of season. While his trey shooting improved from that game onward, his dramatic improvement occurred in last 5 games when his 4 of 9 at Dayton and 7 of 13 at Saint Joe's occurred. This season we again played West Virginia in the eighth game and Fatts' trey shooting is 15-41, .366. Great turnaround.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Adding to the Fatts improvement story. Last year we played West Virginia in our eighth game of season and at that point Fatts' three shooting was 9-55, .164 which was his lowest point of season. While his trey shooting improved from that game onward, his dramatic improvement occurred in last 5 games when his 4 of 9 at Dayton and 7 of 13 at Saint Joe's occurred. This season we again played West Virginia in the eighth game and Fatts' trey shooting is 15-41, .366. Great turnaround.
He's more judicious in shooting 3s this year and always looking to drive to the basket, which makes him an even more exciting player. Nothing makes me happier than seeing Fatts steal the ball and race down the court, zoom by a forest of bigs, twist his body into a tiny gap and make yet another spectacular bucket.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago For further perspective on how good he has been, Fatts is currently 2nd in the country in steals per game at 3.50. Trails only his A10 counterpart, Jacob Gilyard from Richmond, who checks in at 3.57. Fatts is also currently 28th in the country in points per game at 21.1. The turnaround from an up and down sophomore year has been nothing short of remarkable. What has been a huge key to it has been Fatts defense, he has been a major disruptor in the half court, and it often is leading to some easy offense for him and others.
Totally agree on the defense. A lot of fun to watch and I'm an admitted non-admirer of defense. I mean, I know it's needed, but give me buckets. But, you see him on a guy with the ball that's much bigger than him (always), and if you don't 'know'...you're first thought has to be, 'there's no way he can cover that guy.' But, if you 'do' know, you're thinking..."I wonder when he's going to just take it away from the guy?" Even when he's exhausted, still seems like he's always the quickest guy on the floor.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

24 points. 8 assists. 4 for 5 from 3. 2 steals. 7 straight games with 20+ points. How does he do it?

"I struggled last year and it opened my eyes. I took the summer and just locked myself in the gym three or four times a day. It's paying off."

Understatement of the year. :D
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Someone colorize that first photo with the “hope” caption under it so I can buy 7 shirts like that
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Someone colorize that first photo with the “hope” caption under it so I can buy 7 shirts like that
Ask and ye shall receive...

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Nothing in college basketball this season has made me happier than Fatts’ success... redemption on so many levels!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Someone colorize that first photo with the “hope” caption under it so I can buy 7 shirts like that

THIS IS GODS WORK.

What size T shirt are you

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Screw it, can't upload my pic. :shock:
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

THIS IS GODS WORK.

Haha large!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

THIS IS GODS WORK.

Are you taking orders?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote: 4 years ago Nothing in college basketball this season has made me happier than Fatts’ success... redemption on so many levels!
Seriously its so great! This was a real conversation that happened this morning...

Wife: "What are you giggling about over there?"
Me: "Oh just still thinkin about Fatts last night!"
Wife: <Eye roll and walks away>
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

My daughter says switch Hope to Hoop
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

THIS IS GODS WORK.

Are you taking orders?
Haha not like a store but yeah I could put a couple in. Definitely for you!

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I’ll seriously take one if you’re getting them printed, but if it’s a pain in the ass don’t sweat it.

Everyone doing good over there?
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I’ll seriously take one if you’re getting them printed, but if it’s a pain in the ass don’t sweat it.

Yeah, don't you have a Baby Fatts of your own now? :mrgreen:

And I'll take an XL with "Hoop" please. :D
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I’ll seriously take one if you’re getting them printed, but if it’s a pain in the ass don’t sweat it.

Large? Hour 26 of labor. My wife is a warrior.

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Damn. Have either of you slept? The whole ordeal is intense enough but it going on for that long is unreal. Hope she is doing OK.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The turnaround for Fatts has been awesome and his three point shooting now stands at 0.413. Most of last year he registered in the .100's with the low of .158 after his 0-7 performance against Brown. Kudos to him. This team now runs through him.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

So...what you're saying is....you could have gone to the game? :lol: :lol:

JK, hope all are doing well.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

It was about this time last year when some folks on Twitter were saying Fatts wasn't a D1 caliber player. O how they were wrong.

I would also buy a Fatts t-shirt if they are for sale.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Met up with Dawan Robinson after the game with his lovely wife, and her father.

We chatted briefly. I spoke of how he is part of the chain of Rhody basketball from Frank Keaney to today....many links to that chain.

I asked if he had met Coach Cox yet and he said no. They had spoken on the phone recently.

I called Coach over and introduced them to each other. Coach then told me that Dawan was instrumental in the improvement of Fatts this year.

Dawan does skill teaching to youngsters and established players. He worked with Fatts leading up to this season.

Coach and Dawan now have a relationship which further solidifies the strength of the chain.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago Met up with Dawan Robinson after the game with his lovely wife, and her father.

We chatted briefly. I spoke of how he is part of the chain of Rhody basketball from Frank Keaney to today....many links to that chain.

I asked if he had met Coach Cox yet and he said no. They had spoken on the phone recently.

I called Coach over and introduced them to each other. Coach then told me that Dawan was instrumental in the improvement of Fatts this year.

Dawan does skill teaching to youngsters and established players. He worked with Fatts leading up to this season.

Coach and Dawan now have a relationship which further solidifies the strength of the chain.
What a great story, and what a great story for Fatts this year. End of the day, he's a kid and it must of been impossible at times to go through what he did last year. The way he plays, whether he goes 7 for 11, or 2 for 11 it's hard not to root for him, he plays with tremendous heart.

I also would like to recommend our mantra this season should be #takeeverything! the best is yet to come.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Fatts was at the Women's game yesterday at Bryant. Kids were coming up to him in the stands and asking if they could have a picture with them....and not just Rhody fans.....and Fatts took a picture with every one of them.....he has that touch with his persona....
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I always remind Fatts that I was at that Rhody/pc game when he scored 24 after the friars broke his arm....
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He’s such a great marketable asset, the program should do anything they can to promote him. The name, the stats, him being undersized in a game of big men, so much that appeals to general fan. I also wonder why Koch or Projo hasn’t done a profile on the little guy with the big smile and big cajones.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

I can't explain how proud I am of Fatts. His passion for this team and effort on the court is really incredible. I agree with bigappleram. They've gotta do everything to market him. He has 21 ppg and it is only early December!!! Fatts also seems like such a good guy in interviews.
Rirams95
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Rirams95 »

For every game, kenpom has an algorthm that assigns the MVP, not sure of the formula, probably something similar to Game Score that sports-reference uses.
Anyway, Fatts has been a game MVP six times, which is tied for first in the country with Tres Tinkle (Oregon St.), Jahil Tripp from Pacific and Onyeka Okongwu (USC).
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rirams95 wrote: 4 years ago For every game, kenpom has an algorthm that assigns the MVP, not sure of the formula, probably something similar to Game Score that sports-reference uses.
Anyway, Fatts has been a game MVP six times, which is tied for first in the country with Tres Tinkle (Oregon St.), Jahil Tripp from Pacific and Onyeka Okongwu (USC).
I saw a Tweet on him having 6 and Jeff having 1. Rhody only has 6 wins. I think The Tweet was incorrect and Fatts has 5 and Jeff has 1.
I am assuming they only give a team member the MVP when the team wins. If not, I guess Fatts could have one from the WVU game.
“We will be good when we are good.”
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago Met up with Dawan Robinson after the game with his lovely wife, and her father.

Was he the one hanging out in the tunnel the second half with the Keaney Blue Rhody hat? Myself and the guy next to me we’re trying to figure who it was...
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Rirams95 wrote: 4 years ago For every game, kenpom has an algorthm that assigns the MVP, not sure of the formula, probably something similar to Game Score that sports-reference uses.
I saw a Tweet on him having 6 and Jeff having 1. Rhody only has 6 wins. I think The Tweet was incorrect and Fatts has 5 and Jeff has 1.
I am assuming they only give a team member the MVP when the team wins. If not, I guess Fatts could have one from the WVU game.
He was MVP in the WVU game
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

When we signed Fatts, Coach Turncoat said he could lead the league in scoring maybe twice. After his freshman year, capped by his undressing Trae Young in Sacramento, I believed it was possible. After last year, I was dubious to say the least. Now I believe it again.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PARam
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by PARam »

It was in Pittsburgh right in front of me!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PARam wrote: 4 years ago It was in Pittsburgh right in front of me!
Lucky you! One of my all-time favorite moments in sports. I loved it when Reggie Miller screamed "Oh Fatts don't do it to him like that!"

SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

One of my favorite parts of that video (aside from the Fatts parts) is that even IF he missed the 3, Stan and EC were the only ones crashing the boards. Loved watching that team play.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

He must be A-10 player of the week. Anyone see an announcement.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago He must be A-10 player of the week. Anyone see an announcement.
Not.
Gilyard and Hughes (Duquesne) Co-Players of the Week.
Fatts honorable mention.

“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago One of my favorite parts of that video (aside from the Fatts parts) is that even IF he missed the 3, Stan and EC were the only ones crashing the boards. Loved watching that team play.
No doubt. That team made what is still my favorite basketball play of all time:

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That is still the best fast break I’ve ever seen.
GO RAMS
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago He must be A-10 player of the week. Anyone see an announcement.
Not.
Gilyard and Hughes (Duquesne) Co-Players of the Week.
Fatts honorable mention.

So Fatts has shared A-10 player of the week once this year already. Am I missing another week where he was honored?
I hope he's using all this as motivation.
A10talk has an article they just put up. Gilyard vs Fatts.
https://www.a10talk.com/jacob-gilyard-v ... lets-chat/
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Gilyard's shooting stats are ridiculous -67% from 2 and 50% from 3. But Fatts is much improved from last year (41% for 3's and 50% for 2's). Plus he has to carry much more of the offensive load. Can't wait for the Jan. 5th matchup.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gilyard is a good player. I don’t know that many guards in the country are playing as well as Fatts right now, and that’s not just me saying that - multiple national media people have said the same thing. I think it is borderline absurd that they would give half of Fatts’ award to Gilyard and all the way absurd that they would give the other half to some guy from Duquesne. My suggestion is that they just call it the Obi Toppin/Fatts Russell player of the week award until further notice and either have them trade it back and forth week to week or just split it every week.