David Cox Coach’s Show 2019-20

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Re: David Cox Coach’s Show 2019-20

Unread post by ram1980 »

This maybe part of the problem with Harris. He doesn't appear to be comfortable as a 5. He certainly is not a banger or effective physical player. He seems like he is more comfortable facing the hoop rather than back to the hoop.. He has the energy and will to get better. Confidence seems like a major obstacle.. Just watch his body language. I think he is a key to this teams success. Let's hope he reaches his potential soon
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This was mentioned before he ever played a game here.

The staff last season tried to convert him to a back to the basket player, without much success.

At least now, it looks like Cox is at least experimenting with JH as a face the hoop player.

Let's hope it continues...especially once Walker is available.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I thought Harris looked solid inside against Alabama on defense.
I’ll watch him closely again tonight but I’m not seeing the same player that keeps getting criticized here. Cox moves him more inside. As c Cox is encouraging Harris to shoot the 3P. I’m all for those two moves by Cox.

In addition I’d love to see Fatts, Dowtin and Martin passing inside to Langevine and Harris at a higher clip. Harris is open often but doesn’t get the pass much. Hope that changes. Looking forward to tonight’s game.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago This maybe part of the problem with Harris. He doesn't appear to be comfortable as a 5. He certainly is not a banger or effective physical player. He seems like he is more comfortable facing the hoop rather than back to the hoop.. He has the energy and will to get better. Confidence seems like a major obstacle.. Just watch his body language. I think he is a key to this teams success. Let's hope he reaches his potential soon
I would say that if the coaching staff has determined that the team is better off in the long run with him getting some minutes at the 5, now is the time to get him comfortable. These are all important games, but almost the entire season is still in front of us.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago I thought Harris looked solid inside against Alabama on defense.
I’ll watch him closely again tonight but I’m not seeing the same player that keeps getting criticized here. Cox moves him more inside. As c Cox is encouraging Harris to shoot the 3P. I’m all for those two moves by Cox.

In addition I’d love to see Fatts, Dowtin and Martin passing inside to Langevine and Harris at a higher clip. Harris is open often but doesn’t get the pass much. Hope that changes. Looking forward to tonight’s game.
Harris definitely had a solid game tonight. I'll definitely take that.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I like how they talked about the Men's Soccer Team making the show too.
They missed a golden opportunity to celebrate them at halftime tonight.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think you wait til their season is over to celebrate them. Have to assume they get a moment to take the court at a game later this season.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I think you wait til their season is over to celebrate them. Have to assume they get a moment to take the court at a game later this season.
Hope you're right.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago Worst venue yet. Sat one table from the broadcast table and couldn’t make out a word they said. People at the bar clearly were over served, loud and disinterested in basketball. Ceilings were too high so acoustics were not prime. I guess I will have to listen to the podcast. At least the food was decent.
Couldn't agree more. Drove up all the way from Providence to hear a bunch of strangers eat and drink. Should have stayed home and listened on the radio.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I like how they talked about the Men's Soccer Team making the show too.
They missed a golden opportunity to celebrate them at halftime tonight.
It is very possible that the soccer team left for Syracuse yesterday and wasn’t in Kingston last night.
I know that Cox is close with Coach Elliott. Cox was at the team’s selection event Monday.
“We will be good when we are good.”
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

When is the next show?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago When is the next show?
Tomorrow night at Mews. I will be attending most likely, thankfully. Mews is and has been the best venue for these shows since it’s our Ram Fam and isn’t inundated by screech owl tools who aren’t paying attention.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago When is the next show?
Tomorrow night at Mews. I will be attending most likely, thankfully. Mews is and has been the best venue for these shows since it’s our Ram Fam and isn’t inundated by screech owl tools who aren’t paying attention.
Should be a good show considering the timing of the PC game
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fatts at the show tonight
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No Fatts.

There might have been 20 people there tonight.

Dave speaks quietly, could hear him easily, could hear a pin drop otherwise.

Sutton was the guest speaker.

Listen, I like Dave, think he's a good coach and he has a good staff.

But there's ZERO excitement around this program right now. Night and day from when Dan was here.

Beating stiffs and losing to the good teams on the schedule isn't getting it done.

PC 2 days away, and it's like no one cares.

I was disappointed. I asked the only question after the show...what about replacing Cyril...answer, we're working on it....

No buzz whatsoever. Looks like this board is the only group that really cares at this point.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

It would certainly help if they publicized it. Crickets. You can’t expect anyone to attend if they don’t know about it. It was’t even mentioned on this board until I asked about it.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We are awful at marketing and have no desire to get better at it. In terms of buzz and DC that will come when we get more wins.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I've been to several of the Mews shows. This was easily the worst attended of them.

You could have taken a nap and not missed anything.

We are losing whatever there was when Dan was here. And that's a shame.

URI has never learned their lesson after several fleeting successes they've had.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Well we had three chances to create some buzz but didn't capitalize. Guess we have to wait until conference play.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago No Fatts.

There might have been 20 people there tonight.

Dave speaks quietly, could hear him easily, could hear a pin drop otherwise.

Sutton was the guest speaker.

Listen, I like Dave, think he's a good coach and he has a good staff.

But there's ZERO excitement around this program right now. Night and day from when Dan was here.

Beating stiffs and losing to the good teams on the schedule isn't getting it done.

PC 2 days away, and it's like no one cares.

I was disappointed. I asked the only question after the show...what about replacing Cyril...answer, we're working on it....

No buzz whatsoever. Looks like this board is the only group that really cares at this point.
I think "buzz" requires something for Casual Fan to get excited about - like, beating a big name or opponent that you were not expected to beat. Not sure there'a anything near term that's going to change that. Even a win Friday...would be followed by 15 days of buzzkill time. At this point it's probably going to take a 5-6 game win streak at least... just my opinion.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Agreed. If we win out the rest of the non con and win the first 3 games of conference play we will have some buzz.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So what did Cox and Sutton talk about Rambone?

Anything about Dowtin? Harris? Toppin?

Anything about Walker as his eligibility is around the corner?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I listened on the radio; Dave went over the WV game, kinda recap, my main take-a-way was he used the word “jolt” again, in reference to using reduction in playing for Dowtin
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The lack of buzz on campus was apparent before the season started which explains the poor attendance for the season opener and why the Alabama game did not sell out. URI has had chances to change that, but in three big games they came up short. Fatts is the excitement so far, but the other players create no special enthusiasm.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If every student seat isn't filled by a student on Friday, then I'll really worry about the buzz.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yep. If we dont make the tournament this year, we will be in serious jeopardy....

Ot was really just two good years with Dan.

Then the majority of last year was awful.

Could definitely bring a lot of excitement with a win over PC.

Would have to follow it up.

Get in the bubble conversation and beyond.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cox did say that they are looking forward to Walker being able to play.

Should make them better.

Otherwise, he was pretty short on specifics.

Agreed with you guys, a win over PC will help. A loss, and I don't want to think about it.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Wanted to add that Cox thinks Walker will take a few games to get up to speed...…

Also Sutton has the scout for PC.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Wanted to add that Cox thinks Walker will take a few games to get up to speed...…

Well hope he can do something against Western Kentucky, but luckily the two games after that might be our easiest ones. Perfect for getting him up to speed for A-10 play.

But first.

Beat PC.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago If every student seat isn't filled by a student on Friday, then I'll really worry about the buzz.
I really hate that they moved to a lottery system for student tickets to the game. Having students line up guarentees that every seat is filled. What happens when kids who have tickets dont show up?
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Wanted to add that Cox thinks Walker will take a few games to get up to speed...…

Well hope he can do something against Western Kentucky, but luckily the two games after that might be our easiest ones. Perfect for getting him up to speed for A-10 play.

But first.

Beat PC.
Yes, lets get the W vs PC, def goes w/o saying

But, when Walker suits up vs WKU, i hope with him adding to the depth, it can take a toll on Charles Bassey, along with Cyril, Harris, etc.

He's averaging 15.9 pts and 9.6 rbs a game so far this season
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

You want to create buzz for the students... stop sticking them in the nose bleeds...
100 section should be ALL students. Just like every exciting court you see on tv, bring them closer to the action. absolute BS that cheerleaders are sitting in the student section, seats behind the URI bench are emptier than the opposing teams traveling fans behind their bench and the end zone seems to be for other student athletes and guest halftime performers. You want a ruckus? give them seating to be a ruckus.

That lower section bleacher seating is designed so that when that section stands it does not interfere with higher paying 200 section season ticket holders.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RamIt! wrote: 4 years ago You want to create buzz for the students... stop sticking them in the nose bleeds...
100 section should be ALL students. Just like every exciting court you see on tv, bring them closer to the action. absolute BS that cheerleaders are sitting in the student section, seats behind the URI bench are emptier than the opposing teams traveling fans behind their bench and the end zone seems to be for other student athletes and guest halftime performers. You want a ruckus? give them seating to be a ruckus.

That lower section bleacher seating is designed so that when that section stands it does not interfere with higher paying 200 section season ticket holders.
The Ryan Center was designed with this in mind - which is why the 3 sides have rails separating the students from the season ticket holders.

Thanks to Baron's phenomenal work to drive the program into the ground, we couldn't get consistent student attendance so somewhere along the lines they decided to sell those seats to season ticket holders to ensure they wouldn't go to waste. Good luck trying to give up that revenue now!

It's a shame - it was great to sit 2 rows behind the visitors bench and berate the opposing team. Now we need to be nice to everyone because family friendly atmosphere is what helps win basketball games!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The thing is...they do go to waste now. Every time I watch a home game, the 100 level seats are rarely more than 50% full.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago The thing is...they do go to waste now. Every time I watch a home game, the 100 level seats are rarely more than 50% full.
........yep, for sure there are lots of empty seats in the 105/6 sections. There are those of us with seasons, but it seems the set aside many comp, player, family will call etc go unused, except for tomorrow nite.....if the powers wanted to place all the existing season holders into, let’s say 105 along with the comps etc, then place students into 104/6, I would have no beef with that......Disclaimer, I have no clue as to the number of seasons currently spread out in 104/105/106.....
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Why do they reserve seats for cheerleaders? They sit on the floor.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Re: Coach’s Show Oct. 21st

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago Dan’s carriage house might be the only venue I can attend for the foreseeable future unless the Mews installs in elevator to the Irish pub or 210 oyster bar put the ramp down to the back deck.

Doesn’t look like any 210 this season. Red Parrot is not handicapped accessible as far as I remember since the last show was on the upper level.

https://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/201 ... 1021icv3sd

Monday, Oct. 21 - George's of Galilee
Wednesday, Nov. 6 - Mews Tavern
Monday, Nov. 18 - The Trap
Wednesday, Dec. 4 - Mews Tavern
Wednesday, Dec. 18 - Red Parrot
Monday, Jan. 6 - Dan's Place
Monday, Jan. 20 - Mews Tavern
Thursday, Feb. 13 - TBD
Thursday, Feb. 27 - The Trap
Monday, March 9 - Mews Tavern
Wednesday, April 8 - Dan's Place
Really wish they would reconsider the Trap. Reschedule somewhere else please!!

That was absolutely the worst venue yet. Even though it is only 5 minutes from home, I will skip this one every time.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago The thing is...they do go to waste now. Every time I watch a home game, the 100 level seats are rarely more than 50% full.
........yep, for sure there are lots of empty seats in the 105/6 sections. There are those of us with seasons, but it seems the set aside many comp, player, family will call etc go unused, except for tomorrow nite.....if the powers wanted to place all the existing season holders into, let’s say 105 along with the comps etc, then place students into 104/6, I would have no beef with that......Disclaimer, I have no clue as to the number of seasons currently spread out in 104/105/106.....
There are a significant amount of us “seasons” in 104!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
There are a significant amount of us “seasons” in 104!
The Ryan Center policy is even if you move to an empty seat at half time you can still be asked to move since you didn’t pay for the seat. This is what I was told. but there was an appalling amount of empty seats in the 100’s/200s. Tons in the 300s that were for Fruyh Fanatics.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Why do they reserve seats for cheerleaders? They sit on the floor.
There is only enough floor space for 12 Ramettes and 12 cheerleaders. The ones that can’t fit on the floor sit in the stands. I haven’t sat near them this year, but I know that last year, when all the Ramettes were in 107, they stood and cheered the entire game. The only way to keep the Ramette and cheerleaders out of the stands would be to cut the size of the spirit squads and why would they do that?
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Why do they reserve seats for cheerleaders? They sit on the floor.
There is only enough floor space for 12 Ramettes and 12 cheerleaders. The ones that can’t fit on the floor sit in the stands. I haven’t sat near them this year, but I know that last year, when all the Ramettes were in 107, they stood and cheered the entire game. The only way to keep the Ramette and cheerleaders out of the stands would be to cut the size of the spirit squads and why would they do that?
I'm a student and It's kind of annoying that they moved the ramettes to section 102. They don't really participate in the chants and never stand during the game so on TV it looks odd. Also many students still walk by and forget that the section is reserved for them. I have nothing against the girls at all I just think they should let students stand/sit there because when the ramettes go out of the section there are all these empty seats left over.

Put them on the floor or back to 107 :?
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I hear you, and, believe me, they would all rather be on the floor. There just isn’t enough room. It’s not a great situation for those girls in the stands, regardless of what section they are in. They are cut off from the rest of the team. Last year, when the Ramettes were in the last two rows in 207 and they stood most of the time, they heard complaints from people sitting in the first couple rows of 208 that they were blocking their view: no win situation. The younger ones are in the stands and they know when they get more seniority, they’ll be on the floor.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago I hear you, and, believe me, they would all rather be on the floor. There just isn’t enough room. It’s not a great situation for those girls in the stands, regardless of what section they are in. They are cut off from the rest of the team. Last year, when the Ramettes were in the last two rows in 207 and they stood most of the time, they heard complaints from people sitting in the first couple rows of 208 that they were blocking their view: no win situation. The younger ones are in the stands and they know when they get more seniority, they’ll be on the floor.
I actually would prefer them to stand haha. It just looks awkward having the whole student section standing the whole game and then that little part in 102 sitting down.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Coach Sutton makes a pod appearance:

giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I thought I heard this a little earlier, and now again listening to WHJJ. They currently running an advertisement for the David Cox Coaches show, but the person that is doing the commercial is calling it the "David Wilcox" show. Shouldn't our own station be able to get our coaches name correct? Unless I heard it wrong.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......a Wednesday nite, Red Parrot Newport......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago I thought I heard this a little earlier, and now again listening to WHJJ. They currently running an advertisement for the David Cox Coaches show, but the person that is doing the commercial is calling it the "David Wilcox" show. Shouldn't our own station be able to get our coaches name correct? Unless I heard it wrong.
That's funny. I still have a poster from 210 Oyster Bar advertising the Dan Hurley URI Coaches Road Show...from 4pm-9pm.
Showed it to Hurls after the show was over and he just shook his head and asked me to hold it so he could take a picture.

ETA: I liked that spot for those shows.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Show starting now.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Any replay links?