[OFFICIAL] Hurley Signs Extension With URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: And it begins.. Renewed Speculation of Dan Hurley to Rut

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Double or triple his salary? The guy who just got fired makes about the same
as Dan does at URI!
If they break the bank, it will be on some of the bigger names mentioned by Zags.
Again, remember, Zags is the Hurley and Carr mouthpiece.
When he says family doesn't want to move, he's hearing it from someone close.
Rod is right about this. Zag has easy access to Dan and Bobby, and vice versa, and if he says the brothers are staying where they are, i believe that's coming from the brothers.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Rhodyhooopz wrote:Whateve happens this isnt good for URI. If he stays this year and We have succes next year it will happen again. How many times will he lsiten before he is gone. Grantesd the cupboard is a lot fuller than it was before he got here but this happening after year 1 doesnt bode well for the future.
But if Hurley stays, then next year Rutgers has a new coach so they're out of the picture for a few years. And Seton Hall upped Willard, so let's hope he wins more games and then SH is out of the picture.
I see it less likely for Dan to move across the country for a job.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Iggy1979 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Double or triple his salary? The guy who just got fired makes about the same
as Dan does at URI!
If they break the bank, it will be on some of the bigger names mentioned by Zags.
Rod is right about this. Zag has easy access to Dan and Bobby, and vice versa, and if he says the brothers are staying where they are, i believe that's coming from the brothers.
I agree with this. I guess my issue is why not be directly quoted (instead of a nebulous opinion from Zagoria)? Especially with a nice recruit on campus. It's pretty easy to do these days with all the media outlets. The two reasons you don't are that 1. You want to hear what Rutgers has to say -or- 2. You want to pull a Shaka Smart and squeeze Rhody for more money for him and assistants.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah basically I am going to be rooting very hard for Rutgers and Seton Hall to be very good for years to come I guess.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

(As seen 5 posts earlier in this thread)

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 25m
Just because Rutgers is "targeting" Dan Hurley doesn't mean Danny's interest would be reciprocal.

THE SKY ISN'T FALLING, PEOPLE!!!
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

Rod - you're keeping me off the ledge.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yes, but I'm in denial, so what do I know?
My favorite post was the one that said, even if Hurley stays, this is bad for URI.
WTF! I just don't get some people at all.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Gonebarongone wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
as Dan does at URI!
I agree with this. I guess my issue is why not be directly quoted (instead of a nebulous opinion from Zagoria)? Especially with a nice recruit on campus. It's pretty easy to do these days with all the media outlets. The two reasons you don't are that 1. You want to hear what Rutgers has to say -or- 2. You want to pull a Shaka Smart and squeeze Rhody for more money for him and assistants.
1 or 2 or both. Even Shaka Smart and Stevens took a few days before removing their names.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Tommy Tuberville when he was with Texas Tech last season was actually out to dinner with a recruit and other members of his staff when he went to take a call, accepted Cincinnati's offer and never even came back to the table.

So coaches can pull all kinds of stunts.

Until Rutgers hires a coach that isn't Dan Hurley I won't believe that he isn't going to Rutgers.
rhodyras
Abdul Fox

Unread post by rhodyras »

I think Neil nailed it... maybe i am looking through the same rose colored glasses, but i say a man with integrity doesn't rescue a kid like Gil from that hell-hole, then leave for the same place for any amount of money after year one. I think (hope) Dan is bigger than that.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Slava Ukraini!
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I have to tell you I am not feeling optimistic.

I fully expect Hurley to leave for Rutgers. Hope I'm wrong.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

All the PC buttmen are out in force.
Go to the PC board. Some piece of shit who goes by the
screenname Crotchbutter (nice job Rich Coren of monitoring)
and a couple of others are personally attacking me in numerous posts.
This despite the fact that I haven't posted on that board since December.
Obviously this scumbag reads our board.
These cretins hope Hurley leaves, and are wetting their panties at the very idea.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Whitemist wrote:
---------------------------------------------
--- crotchbutter wrote:

rodfromcranston on the URI board is saying there is no chance that Rutgers hires Hurley. If you have read what he thinks will happen in the past then Hurley is destined to Rutgers. This idiot is always wrong.

---------------------------------------------

Guy is unbelievably delusional, I would love to see Hurley leave URI just to see his reaction.

It's funny, because back when people started saying Rice may be on the hot seat at RU months ago, URI fans, especially Rod, were telling us how crazy we were to even think Hurley would be a possibility to replace him...Also, of course I won't forget the time Rod made a guarantee on here that Hurley would be at URI longer than Cooley is at PC. They are really ridiculous, they just don't accept reality. Ever.

Would be awesome to see this happen.
Here's a few of rods statements:

1 No A10 teams would leave to join the new Big East.

2 The new Big East would never get a tv deal worth 3-4 million a year per program.

3 And like you stated Hurley would be at URI longer than Cooley at PC.

I love that board for the entertainment value.
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

Rod, there are folks in both camps that want nothing but bad things to happen to the other camp. Most real basketball fans want all the local teams to be good. It's just more exciting here when it is. Having Hurley leave will be bad for the state, not just for URI. Take it with a grain of salt.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Haha PC has a board? I didn't know they had computers in nursing homes and jails now.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You forgot barrooms.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I just can't see Dan leaving right now for a situation where the AD who might want him, is on the hot seat, and could be gone by next season.

That program right now is a train wreck, just about as bad as URI's was at the end of the Baron regime.

People might think that hiring Hurley will save his job, but imo his job is going to depend on what investigators find out about the Rice situation. He might not even have the support necessary to open up the Rutgers wallet for a new coach.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

If Hurley leaves, this program continues to wallow in mediocrity for the forseeable future. I hope he shows some integrity and sticks to his promises to the school, the fans and especially the athletes that came to play for him and put URI hoops on the right track. In my gut I think he leaves. We are just a stepping stone for bigger and better.. I wish it was Cooley on Rutgers radar so the PC butt kissing clowns we have for journalists and their arrogant fans (who knows why) could eat some humble pie....
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I'm completely confident he stays.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think he is gone
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Cooley were to go elsewhere, I don't think that's a big deal whatsoever.

Cooley hasn't proven much yet, maybe he's a good recruiter but there's a lot of good recruiters out there.

No big loss to PC, really.

Now URI losing Hurley, right after Bobby leaving, would be a killer.

Would Preston take over? Good recruiter, but totally unproven as a coach. Carr would most likely leave with Hurley. Total do-over would be needed.

Al? I'd take him in a heartbeat.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Preston Murphy cannot be the next head coach at URI if DH leaves. What has that guy done to merit consideration? DBO at BC? Recruit some players that might have been high profile that didn't pan out or haven't panned out (yet)? Maybe in 5-10 years but, please, not now.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramster and ATP, I'd put the odds of Dan leaving, right now, at 10%.

I mean, he's on the cusp of creating something special here. He'll go to the Dance two or three times for every one time he'd make it at Rutgers.

The money will come. He knows that. Because that's all Rutgers can offer him right now, is more money. He'll have his chance down the road, to have his pick of top programs after having achieved success here. And who knows? Maybe he'll be the next Shaka Smart, and stay put.

What has he really done yet, except for one year at Wagner. He has name recognition, so what. He needs to prove he can build a program and get results. It would be a TON tougher to do that at Rutgers, especially being in the B10.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Al will be the next coach if Hurley leaves. Don't know for how long, but that would be my guess.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Odd, because even the pro Rutgers article urging them to hire Hurley,
admits, it's the worst job in D-1.
So, why in hell would Dan Hurley want it? Is he a total masochist? Wasn't this past season bad
enough, that he'd want to do it again elsewhere?
I'm also reading a lot of other names, but those who around us, who
wish us ill, only see Dan Hurley's name being mentioned.
Then again, according to the knuckle dragging mouth breathers on the PC Scout board, I'm an idiot and delusional.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Al were to take over, my hope is, he could assemble a strong staff. Preston would stay I would think.

URI would Dance again, but not as often, and the ceiling for NCAA tourney success would be lower. Al has made a lot of Dances, but hasn't got past the 1st round very often.

In other words, much better than JB, but below what we could expect with DH.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'll worry about Hurley's successor if and when I see him standing at
another school's press conference.
Any other speculation is to me, unwarranted now.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No one on this board really knows what's going on in Dan Hurley's mind right now. If he makes the decision to leave, I would feel bad since it would set the program back a bit, but I would wish him well and thank him for his contributions. In the final analysis, URI will always be here and we must move on no matter the adversity.

BTW, rod, you should not be at all bothered or surprised by the PC comments. By and large, PC and their fans lack class. It's always been that way, and it's likely to always be that way.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, a lot of those names being mentioned, would be delusional to take the Rutgers job.

They may want to have a proven winner to take over, but who would want that challenge?

Maybe they think they can get Hurley on the cheap compared to some of those other names.

The Rutgers job would be a pay cut for a lot of them too.

If Dan truly wants to go home, and that's his biggest motivation, then he's gone. But I just can't see it, and neither can you.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Ramster and ATP, I'd put the odds of Dan leaving, right now, at 10%.

I mean, he's on the cusp of creating something special here. He'll go to the Dance two or three times for every one time he'd make it at Rutgers.

The money will come. He knows that. Because that's all Rutgers can offer him right now, is more money. He'll have his chance down the road, to have his pick of top programs after having achieved success here. And who knows? Maybe he'll be the next Shaka Smart, and stay put.

What has he really done yet, except for one year at Wagner. He has name recognition, so what. He needs to prove he can build a program and get results. It would be a TON tougher to do that at Rutgers, especially being in the B10.
What has he really done? Are you kidding?
- EC Mathews was the highest ranked A10 Recruit in Rivals. Phenomenal performances to lead his team to the Michigan State Class A Championship
- Hassan Martin ranked #137 in Rivals.
Trivia Question: When was the last time URI landed two recruits in the same year that were ranked Top 150 in the Nation?
- Hired the strongest group of assistant Coaches that I have ever seen at URI
- Kept the team playing at 100% throughout the year
- Brought respect back to the URI Basketball program that has been sorely missing - and did it FAST
- Managed a team with virtually zero decension throughout the year - despite winning only 8 games
- Kept the team in most all games played desite an overall "bare Cupboard"
- Managed through no Billy Baron or Jonathan Holton - URIs two best returning players
- Got 4 talented transfers coming on board

Dan Hurley can handle the Rutger's job with no problem whatsoever in my opinion. I am very surprised at posters not thinking that he is ready.
I'd hate to lose him but he is a hot commodity even though he only won 8 game - again left with no Billy Baron or Holton - that was a huge loss - even though some did not care for either one, they were strong talents that we could not replace.
Hurley did a great job considering the circumstances - in fact I don't know how he could have possibly done any better.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

It doesn't really concern me that Hurley didn't immediately come out with a press release saying he's not interested. It might even worry me more if he had. If he's really that committed to building URI, why should he even care that Rutgers is available? It would be below him to comment on it if nobody has directly asked him about it.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramster, you know posters saying he isn't ready is a defense mechanism. If I was Rutgers AD, I'd offer him the job. On the other hand, I can honestly say that if I was Hurley I wouldn't take it. Research the Rutgers job. That job is a death sentence for coaches.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Ramster, you know posters saying he isn't ready is a defense mechanism. If I was Rutgers AD, I'd offer him the job. On the other hand, I can honestly say that if I was Hurley I wouldn't take it. Research the Rutgers job. That job is a death sentence for coaches.
You think so? So they really think he is ready but they think if they post he is not ready then someone will read that on our Board and then stop going after him?

For sure he will be offered the job, and probably already has been offered it. These things are moving very fast, especially with the Recruiting Job Fair of all Job Fairs coming up tomorrow through Monday - the Final 4.

The big news on the Rutgers job is that the Big 10 is a strong conference. Very attractive opportunity in his home state back yard, Big 10, chance to rebuild, program is at a dismal low point - nowhere to go but up. Opportunity is huge.

My fear is that we could lose a super great recruit in EC Mathews who came here specifically because of the Point Guard oriented Coaching staff and now Bobby is gone and who knows how this turns out.

The A10 losing teams to the C7 BE did not help us in our efforts to retain Dan over the pull of the Big 10.

I'll be glad when Rutgers announces their new Coach - it can't happen soon enough and hopefully it turns out to be someone else.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, I'm sure that a LOT of people will ask him about it in the days ahead.

I sure would, if I saw him.

If he says, "no comment" then I'm worried.

P.S. Ramster, what I meant, by saying Dan hasn't done much yet, is in terms of tournament appearances and success there.

He's done a lot at URI, both on the court and off, to change the culture of losing that became almost ingrained at URI since Harrick left. The losing itself, is finally going to stop, unless.....

That's why it's so damned important that he stay, at least for a couple more years.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It is not all about making the NCAA tournament. Sharp Athletic Directors and School Presidents can see what Hurley has done at URI in just one year - it is quite an amazing story. He did more for recruiting than I expected - best two recruits of any of the 16 A10 Teams - that says a ton right there.
Then look at the guys we are involved with now still for this year and for next year?
It is the most excited I have been about recruiting in 15 years - since Jim Harrick.
Unfortunately there are too many out there who believe he is ready to move higher up the Coaching ladder - NCAA or no NCAA
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramster, my guess is, if Hurley and Rutgers talk, it will be this weekend.

You're right, things move fast nowadays. Look at the Alford hire by UCLA.

We'll know how this ends up very soon, probably no later than early next week. Of course, Dan could end it now.....but I have a feeling he will at least listen to them....so he'll say nothing until he does.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rutgers has long been the graveyard of coaches.
Gary Waters is a good coach. look it up. He died at Rutgers.
He had success before and after Rutgers. Does that tell you anything?
It's the UNH of the Mid Atlantic.
They haven't done anything much since the 70's, when they played in an old theater.
Haven't had a winning season since 2004-05.
Unless Dan's ego is bigger than anyone thinks it is, I can't see it.
He coached there on a staff under Dan Herron, for five years.
They were all fired. Hurley knows the problems of coaching there.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Kevin Bannon
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

All good points Rod, except that's all in the past.

It's because Rutgers is going B10, that worries me. They will have to adhere to much higher standards to fit in that conference.

What happened with the last several coaches at Rutgers, is strange indeed. Is the problem higher up? There's got to be a common thread that ties together all the negative things that have happened there.

If it's the administration and/or the people in the athletic dept. that's rotten, then I would hope Dan sees that, and wants no part of it. I mean he was there, he should know.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So they were in a shit league in the Big East all these years?
There were no Pitt, Georgetown, Syracuse's et al to set the standards?
The original Big East was more successful that the Big Ten in basketball.
Now, they moved to the Big Ten. What in their DNA shows they can be more successful in a better league?
Technically, Dan was fired by Rutgers, too at the end of the 2001 season.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

This actually could be a great thing for URI. If Hurley stays then it will be reported nationally: Dan Hurley has passed on the Rutgers job to stay in RI.
Who wouldn't love to read that!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I sure as hell would love to read that, for a lot of reasons!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Wouldn't it be something if Cooley took it?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Make it happen, Dan. SOON!

He's got to know we're on pins and needles here!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cooley is in the catbird seat right now at PC.

Why would he want that gig?

He's in the best non BCS BB league in the country now, almost by default. No, he's not going anywhere. I'm sure even Sean would agree with that!

He also knows he's going to make more money soon, thanks to Fox.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I know I'm in denial, and according to some scum on the PC board, and idiot and
delusional, but tell me, if this crap is so, how do you go from this on Sunday to Rutgers?

"My first year as a Rhode Islander is in the books. Great place and people. Excited to see what the next year has in store."

I know, as someone I was once engaged to used to say,"Well, I meant it at the time."
Me? I call that lying.

I've reached out to a couple of insiders and so far, it's crickets. Then again, they probably know as much
as any of us do.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Maybe the glass is half full. !!?

Think of this, Rutgers players want out, no sit out year when transferring. Hurley knows them, Gil knows them;

is this part of the answer for the two remaining scholorships??
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Just saw that Pitino's son was moving onto the big bad big 10 (Minnestoa)after one year of head coaching
with mediocre results at Florida International. (although he did get Holton to sign)

The big boys of the Big 10 are the promotion, Rutgers, Northwestern etc is not a promotion.

Dan will get the job of his dreams after he succeeds here- mediocre results at Rutgers sets his reputation and hurts his chances for future success. I would be very surprised if Dan does not see this.

However, he needs to listen to Rutgers, smart business, never know how Thorr might sweeten the pot!!!

Let's hope so!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah Rod, but what are they supposed to say?

"I actually hate it here, first chance I get I'm hightailing it out of this one horse town" or something like that?

Many coaches have said they have no intention of leaving, and the next day they're gone. Just the nature of the business. And it is a business.

One more thing: I know Dan hasn't bought a house yet. I think he was planning to, after the early signing period, and before the Europe trip.

Probably means nothing, but it would be easier to move if just renting. Dan's family may not want to move, but Dan's career calls the shots, I would think.