Jermaine Harris - Season Expectations

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Jermaine Harris - dramatic improvement?

Unread post by rambone 78 »

JH definitely has an aversion to dunking....he just doesn't get off the floor like a guy that size should.

That's a problem playing inside, especially since he doesn't have much in the way of post moves.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago I still get the feeling everything is going to click at some point for JH, my guy tells me early February. I am almost looking at this as his freshmen year. When you watch him he clearly has basketball skills, he does work hard on D and I think is fairly effective before he picks some fouls and plays more tentative. Once Walker is in the mix for bigs, the staff should just tell him to go out there and play aggressive, don’t worry about fouls so much because it’s ok if we only get 20 mins from you.
I didn't think he had an awful game. Would have been nice to see him finish on a couple close ones, but starting to see incremental progress with JH, including the ability to stay on the floor.
He shot 1-7 FG and 1-3 FTs for 3 points against a very weak D1 team. What part of that wasn’t horrible?
“We will be good when we are good.”
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

We're not getting the Karl Malone of the A10. The kid is giving his best. He needs this year to continue his development.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

This guy is just going to take a while.

The fact that he has been relatively serviceable is better than what he was last year.

I'm still holding out hope.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I remember looking at box scores from JH’s high school games and thinking this guy fouls out a lot. This has been a constant problem for him at both levels.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Still waiting for him to hit a 3 and dunk. He looks good from the free throw line, FWIW.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago I still get the feeling everything is going to click at some point for JH, my guy tells me early February. I am almost looking at this as his freshmen year. When you watch him he clearly has basketball skills, he does work hard on D and I think is fairly effective before he picks some fouls and plays more tentative. Once Walker is in the mix for bigs, the staff should just tell him to go out there and play aggressive, don’t worry about fouls so much because it’s ok if we only get 20 mins from you.
I didn't think he had an awful game. Would have been nice to see him finish on a couple close ones, but starting to see incremental progress with JH, including the ability to stay on the floor.
He shot 1-7 FG and 1-3 FTs for 3 points against a very weak D1 team. What part of that wasn’t horrible?
And what was Cyril's line yesterday? We didnt get much from our bigs yesterday
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

And what was Cyril's line yesterday? We didnt get much from our bigs yesterday
[/quote]

I hope I'm wrong, but I think Cyril has an injury. He doesn't seem to have his usual intensity and his minutes have been lower the last few games.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If Cyril does have an issue, he will have a lot of time to get better after the PC game.

However we need him big time in the next 2 games.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago And what was Cyril's line yesterday? We didnt get much from our bigs yesterday
I hope I'm wrong, but I think Cyril has an injury. He doesn't seem to have his usual intensity and his minutes have been lower the last few games.
[/quote]

The guys on the post-game show last night were wondering if he was sick.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Parts that were not horrible for Harris:
  • Season high 7 rebounds exceeding his previous high of 5. His best career was 10 vs Bryant last season and 7 vs VCU last season. So 7 rebounds is a solid, encouraging number for Harris
  • Harris played a season high 26 minutes and finished with 4 fouls - so good he is extending his playing time - a frequent complaint here
  • Harris had a nice block. He had 2 blocks vs LSU. Had zero blocks the first 5 games so maybe his shot blocking confidence is rising
  • He looks to me to being more active on defense and playing better defense
  • His points came from an offensive rebound. Even though he moves actively on offense and gets open at times, the guards do not pass to him inside. Possibly an opportunity that Cox could exploit?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Certain guys on this team have to show up in the box score in order to have impacted the game. There are others that don’t necessarily and can contribute other ways. I’d put Harris in the latter category right now. His floor game seems to be rounding into form, and I’ll take that as a positive. Hopefully the stats will follow.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago Still waiting for him to hit a 3 and dunk. He looks good from the free throw line, FWIW.
He dunked a game or 2 ago
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Expecting Harris to average 17-20 this year

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago Still waiting for him to hit a 3 and dunk. He looks good from the free throw line, FWIW.
He dunked a game or 2 ago
Yes he did. I believe it was off of a feed from Fatts.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The fact we’re talking about / wanting a Top 80 recruit to just dunk a ball in his sophomore year just shows how low of expectations are at this point for Harris.
Go Rhody
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

I still think he has potential to be good, not great, but he wont put it together until his final 2 years. I think his defensive possessions are solid, obviously a little too aggressive and needs to work on coordination. He has potential to be a very good shooter for his size just needs a few outside shots to fall at some point for confidence. Just taking longer to develop in my opinion and will be a 6-7pt guy all year. I think he will be in the 10pts/6reb avg range next year and we will need that at a min without Langevine. Unfortunately his ranking was a little off but he still has way better skills than the majority of our inside recruits.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I often wonder what Jermaine thinks?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody Sody wrote: 4 years ago I still think he has potential to be good, not great, but he wont put it together until his final 2 years. I think his defensive possessions are solid, obviously a little too aggressive and needs to work on coordination. He has potential to be a very good shooter for his size just needs a few outside shots to fall at some point for confidence. Just taking longer to develop in my opinion and will be a 6-7pt guy all year. I think he will be in the 10pts/6reb avg range next year and we will need that at a min without Langevine. Unfortunately his ranking was a little off but he still has way better skills than the majority of our inside recruits.
I’m not ready yet to say his ranking was off. I continue to see improvement in Harris. Still believe he can be a 4 year starter at URI and will continue to improve. It’s only November of his Soph year

Looking at Top 100 Recruits keeping it local to RI for the past 3 years:
2019 Greg Gantt PC #68

2018 David Duke PC #49
2018 AJ Reeves PC #55
2018 Jermaine Harris #90

2017 Makai Ashton-Langford #38

Looking at this group, I’d not say Harris was Incorrectly ranked #90 at his time

A lot of basketball still to be played this year

Next Friday we have 4 of these guys going up against one another. Let’s see how Harris does compared to Duke, Reeves and Gantt.

I would not want Harris out of the starting line up or to leave URI. I’m still optimistic.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody Sody wrote: 4 years ago I still think he has potential to be good, not great, but he wont put it together until his final 2 years. I think his defensive possessions are solid, obviously a little too aggressive and needs to work on coordination. He has potential to be a very good shooter for his size just needs a few outside shots to fall at some point for confidence. Just taking longer to develop in my opinion and will be a 6-7pt guy all year. I think he will be in the 10pts/6reb avg range next year and we will need that at a min without Langevine. Unfortunately his ranking was a little off but he still has way better skills than the majority of our inside recruits.

How can you honestly say he has potential to be a good shooter when he’s 0- his career on three point attempts?
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

How can you honestly say he has potential to be a good shooter when he’s 0- his career on three point attempts?
Because he led the team on FT Shooting as a Freshman and he was also an excellent FT Shooter all through High School

In addition, 2 weeks ago David Cox said he wanted Jermaine shooting 3 point shots and more of them. So his own Coach believes in his shooting ability for 3 pointers.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Expecting Harris to average 17-20 this year

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oooopppsss

Can I use the ole I was drunk posting excuse ?

While I was drinking way too much kool aid, I did expect a vast improvement... disappointing :(
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Because he led the team on FT Shooting as a Freshman and he was also an excellent FT Shooter all through High School

In addition, 2 weeks ago David Cox said he wanted Jermaine shooting 3 point shots and more of them. So his own Coach believes in his shooting ability for 3 pointers.

Bold strategy Cotton, let’s see if it pays off for him.
Go Rhody
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

because he's playing more minutes, not making as many stupid fouls and his defending is getting better. He's not where we all would want him to be, but man the negativity on this poor kid is disgusting.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I think we’ve been fair

We are all pulling for him

We are tough on him cas of his rating and we hold him to a high standard

He seems to me like a good kid and I can’t wait until he puts it all together - but pls let it be this year Santa
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago I think we’ve been fair

We are all pulling for him

He seems to me like a good kid and I can’t wait until he puts it all together - but pls let it be this year Santa
But he did not create his rating - why should he be held to a high standard? It’s only November of his Sophomore year. Where did the posters go who were calling for Tate to start for Harris? I’d hate for any big men considering URI to read this thread.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....I am still here......if Walker delivers the 9-5, as one suggested, then what?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Obviously all of us want the kids to excel; especially the highly rated ones, even more again for the bigs. BUT once they're here, all we should ask for them is to work hard, and be a good student and teammate. By all appearances Harris is all of those. Those knocking him repeatedly should give it a break. I happen to think he can be a good shooter too; it just hasn't happened in the games yet. Only way to find it is to keep shooting. If he sticks around I think he will be a good solid player for us.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .....I am still here......if Walker delivers the 9-5, as one suggested, then what?
If Walker plays well in the three OOC games once he gets back and Harris continues to struggle, Walker will be in the starting lineup to start the A10 season. Cox is very loyal but he feels the pressure to deliver this year with the core of Jeff, Cyril & Fatts and he carries with him the bad feelings about last year. Harris would become the 6th man.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Harris is a bag of trash. Period. 1 TO. 2 missed defensive assignments. Missed layup. Missed shot.

Gtfo. He’s a -10 by himself 3 mins into the game.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Harris is a bag of trash. Period. 1 TO. 2 missed defensive assignments. Missed layup. Missed shot.

Unacceptable way to talk about OUR student athletes.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Harris is a bag of trash. Period. 1 TO. 2 missed defensive assignments. Missed layup. Missed shot.

With big expectations comes big criticism.

I’ll try and find a more flowery way to say it.

“Gee, this top 100 player has a really great demeanor when he’s not boxing out for rebounds, not making layups, missing defensive assignments, and generally looking lost every time he steps on the floor. Very excited for the future! Nowhere to go but up!”
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

“Gee, this top 100 player has a really great demeanor when he’s not boxing out for rebounds, not making layups, missing defensive assignments, and generally looking lost every time he steps on the floor. Very excited for the future! Nowhere to go but up!”
Cool, tell him to his face next game.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

I will. Then I’ll hide from him directly under the rim and he won’t be able to find me.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC, you called someone a female because they didn’t agree with your opinion.

You’re the last person to be judging about what is said on this board.
Go Rhody
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago ...
---
JH rating affected both the teams recruiting strategy as well as their ability to interest other big men from coming to URI. So, it isn't just his performance on the court. All we can do is hope he steps up his game and meets expectations. Our options in replacing JH are not great.
NCAAs or Bust!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

To a fickle ass fan. And I’d say much worse to his face, at the time.

We are talking about kids that are REPRESENTING OUR UNIVERSITY.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I will. Then I’ll hide from him directly under the rim and he won’t be able to find me.
Cute, but cut it out.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Take it easy blueman.

More importantly FTF.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

A college scholarship does not mean he is a professional. These are still kids. You can criticize without making it personal. Those of you who attacked the kid personally, if you reread your posts later after the emotion of the game has died down and you still feel the same way, I feel sorry for you.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago A college scholarship does not mean he is a professional. These are still kids. You can criticize without making it personal. Those of you who attacked the kid personally, if you reread your posts later after the emotion of the game has died down and you still feel the same way, I feel sorry for you.
Not sure how I attacked him personally, considering my problems with his play are clearly all basketball related - as are my criticisms.

That said, not sure anyone thinks exactly what they think in the middle of a high intensity game after having time to think about it later.

That would be like stopping me mid-scrum in rugby to ask me my feelings on my grandma. Not sure I’d give the right response there either.

But welcome to the internet? More specifically a message board?

So for clarity - no I do not think Jermaine is actually a bag of trash. He’s a good young man who I would love to see live up to his potential and ranking.

He is however, playing like a bag of trash.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If Cox can sit Dowtin down the stretch of WV game, he can take Harris out of the starting lineup once Walker is up to speed.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

blueman, blueman, blueman, it doesn't matter what your state of mind is when you post something, you said it and all you can do is justify saying it. It's a theme on this board, people can't just be like "my bad, that was an asshole thing to say about a kid." Great look calling a kid a "bag of trash," that's what you say about someone who is a bad person, a person that plays dirty or someone that screws you over, not a kid just trying to sports entertain you and don't waist your time re-explaining how you were speaking of his level of play, you can't fall back on your poor impulse control issues forever, you are responsible for calling a teenager a "bag of trash" because he doesn't entertain you well enough. I am scolding you, yes, who am I to scold you? your brother, I would react with as much vigor in your defense if someone called you a "bag of trash." You should seek to understand why making such a comment is an asshole thing to do, then you should apologize without any caveats attached. My final suggetion for you, grasshopper, is you should seek to understand that when JH doesn't live up to your expectations, that is your issue not his.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am hopeful Walker is just a better more polished player than JH

If that proves to be then Walker should play more

You may see JH still start but Walker play more minutes
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago blueman, blueman, blueman, it doesn't matter what your state of mind is when you post something, you said it and all you can do is justify saying it. It's a theme on this board, people can't just be like "my bad, that was an asshole thing to say about a kid." Great look calling a kid a "bag of trash," that's what you say about someone who is a bad person, a person that plays dirty or someone that screws you over, not a kid just trying to sports entertain you and don't waist your time re-explaining how you were speaking of his level of play, you can't fall back on your poor impulse control issues forever, you are responsible for calling a teenager a "bag of trash" because he doesn't entertain you well enough. I am scolding you, yes, who am I to scold you? your brother, I would react with as much vigor in your defense if someone called you a "bag of trash." You should seek to understand why making such a comment is an asshole thing to do, then you should apologize without any caveats attached. My final suggetion for you, grasshopper, is you should seek to understand that when JH doesn't live up to your expectations, that is your issue not his.
BRA-FUCKING-VO!
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

didn't we have a similar string going for Fatts last year? how did that work out?

Kid is one month into his second year and today he played against one of the better front courts in the country. lets give it a rest.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And still seems to think it’s just fine to use “woman” or “female” as an insult.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I wish Harris had one or two strengths. If his offense struggled but he was good on defense and/or rebounding that would help. I can’t find a strength in his game at this point.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago blueman, blueman, blueman, it doesn't matter what your state of mind is when you post something, you said it and all you can do is justify saying it. It's a theme on this board, people can't just be like "my bad, that was an asshole thing to say about a kid." Great look calling a kid a "bag of trash," that's what you say about someone who is a bad person, a person that plays dirty or someone that screws you over, not a kid just trying to sports entertain you and don't waist your time re-explaining how you were speaking of his level of play, you can't fall back on your poor impulse control issues forever, you are responsible for calling a teenager a "bag of trash" because he doesn't entertain you well enough. I am scolding you, yes, who am I to scold you? your brother, I would react with as much vigor in your defense if someone called you a "bag of trash." You should seek to understand why making such a comment is an asshole thing to do, then you should apologize without any caveats attached. My final suggetion for you, grasshopper, is you should seek to understand that when JH doesn't live up to your expectations, that is your issue not his.
Apologies. I will make sure I only say nice things from now on. I will start now.

Jermaine looked so good today! Everyone who thinks he isn’t living up to expectations is an IDIOT!

Of course he’s going to get it going you MORONS- he’s only 41 games started into his college career, it’s still super early!

I think there’s a ton of good in how he gets lost on defense all the time - he’s just rope-a-doping the offense into a false sense of security that’s going to pay off when they keep going through him!

I’ve seen the light! Hallelujah!

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ace wrote: 4 years ago

And still seems to think it’s just fine to use “woman” or “female” as an insult.
What are you talking about? I apologized for it.