11/27 | Manhattan | 4:00PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: 11/27 | Manhattan | 4:00PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago
spookydog wrote: 4 years ago
I just called the box office regarding this tweet. If you know a student, they can bring anyone (up to 2 people) for this game. It does not have to be a fellow college student, it can be anyone. So time to make friends with a student.
My freshman year ('07 Baron era) you could get up to four tickets. I can't remember if you needed to show 4 IDs at first or if they changed it later in the season. We had something like 15 of us all line up and go and we were just handing off IDs to one another. Ended up with a ridiculous amount of tickets and handed them out all over Frat Circle.

Needless to say, the policy changed once we got rid of Baron. Probably around the time people actually wanted to go to games again.
That was the year after I graduated. I didn't really go to games towards the end of the Baron era. Came back when Danny was hired.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NHRamFan wrote: 4 years ago The tbd v. tbd game at 11pm will be "must see TV!" :lol:
maybe...I think that's still tbd....
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Manhattan preview.

Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
NHRamFan wrote: 4 years ago The tbd v. tbd game at 11pm will be "must see TV!" :lol:
maybe...I think that's still tbd....
I would expect you to be at that game 😂
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Why would they put this game during the afternoon when people have to work? Going to be a small crowd i am afraid
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Roz wrote: 4 years ago Why would they put this game during the afternoon when people have to work? Going to be a small crowd i am afraid
This was a late addition to the schedule so there were probably not many reasonable dates left to schedule this one. The 4:00pm tip could be to give any players traveling home for Thanksgiving some additional travel time.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

So far not many people here showing lots of confidence in this team. Will Manhattan be the Stony Brook of 2019-20???
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago So far not many people here showing lots of confidence in this team. Will Manhattan be the Stony Brook of 2019-20???
after what happened last night, if you haven't figured it out yet, we can't take Manhattan lightly. There is just too much parity in college basketball. A little surprised to hear a lot of you guys saying we are going to use this as a game to try new things, get Tyrese out of his funk, etc. I can assure you DC is planning for this game no different than LSU or Maryland, with a plan tailored to the scouting report on Manhattan. We are the favorites and if we execute correctly could win big, but there is nobody on this schedule, including Brown that we can go in without complete focus. Also having a light crowd doesn't help, but this again goes back to focus by the team - go out and execute, limit turnovers and bad shots, limit lapses on defenses and it shouldn't matter if there is 1 person or 8,000 in the crowd.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Our margin for error is small.

Both in the OOC and conference schedule.

Just can't afford any hiccups.

We could, if we were to beat a couple of the top teams on our schedule.

That remains to be seen. So far, except for Alabama, no. And really how good is Alabama?

Obie, I think confidence is low, because we really weren't close in our 2 losses to LSU and Maryland.

If we need a big home crowd to win games, we're in trouble. What about on the road?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Our margin for error is small.

That remains to be seen. So far, except for Alabama, no. And really how good is Alabama?

Obie, I think confidence is low, because we really weren't close in our 2 losses to LSU and Maryland.

If we need a big home crowd to win games, we're in trouble. What about on the road?
We will find out a little bit about Alabama tonight. I agree that we really don’t know how good they are. They play Stephen F Austin after UNC so it will be interesting to see how they make out in these games.
Last edited by RamStock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Bone I ain’t seein what you’re seein

Doesn’t mean you are wrong but I just don’t see the same thing.

I think Cox has full control and the players have bought in regarding his new half court offense. If Walker has some game Rhode Island can go from capable to dangerous.

It’s early tho and you could be right only time will tell.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

We will find out a little bit about Alabama tonight. I agree that we really don’t know how good they are. They play Stephen F Austin after UNC so it will be interesting to see how they make out in these games.
I don't think confidence is low and still think the teams goals are obtainable, which is getting back to the tournament. We have beaten who we need to beat, in addition I think Alabama will be considered a good win in March. Beating LSU and Maryland would have been great, but not a game changer for what the team is trying to accomplish.

I'm just more concerned on any given night if we don't fully execute we can lose to anyone on our remaining schedule. This has been a crazy month already when you look at some of the eye opening losses across Division 1. RIC was our only cupcake and unfortunately that did not count towards the regular schedule.
Last edited by bkoeppen 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....my often “no Stony Brook game”......is based we were given like a 84% chance to win over Stony Brook and we were like 10 pt fav......but more than that, I recall a clueless/helpless look on the face of the new coach and players to respond......good for us that changed as the season went on......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago

I think Cox has full control and the players have bought in regarding his new half court offense. If Walker has some game Rhode Island can go from capable to dangerous.

Not seeing what Rambone is saying exactly either.

Domt think it's fair to say our game with LSU wasnt even close. It was close for the majority and got to 14 really late We weren't hopeless, they shot the ball like crazy and we couldnt quite keep up.

I think we have plenty of confidence and are playing hard out there.

Definitely havent seen the best from us yet.

Do need to make some noise here soon though or our confidence may very well be low.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think we were down 8-9 with 10 minutes left at Maryland. Sorta similar with LSU though we went more back and forth with them than Maryland who kinda buzz sawed us from that point. But to say neither game was close is wrong. Also as the A10 is proving to be stronger than ever it actually makes our margin for error greater than it would be in past years. There may actually be resume building wins to be had in conference which wasn't the case the last 3-4 years. IMO if we beat PC and Western Kentucky we will be set up just fine to build a tourney resume via a Top 4 finish in A10. This assumes Alabama plays to their predicted order of finish (5th) in SEC and proves to be a quality win.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No question that the Rams achieved with the Alabama game and that is true no matter how Alabama turns out. The other wins have had their flaws which is why questions surround this team. Fatts is the one bright star. The saying is the good thing about freshman is they become sophomores. With one fifth of season gone is that true about Tate, Martin and Harris? Will we get senior level performance consistency from Dowtin and Langevine? Are the numerous scoring droughts an aberration or a sign this team has basic shooting woes? Is the defensive intensity enough? Will Walker make a significant difference?
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago No question that the Rams achieved with the Alabama game and that is true no matter how Alabama turns out. The other wins have had their flaws which is why questions surround this team. Fatts is the one bright star. The saying is the good thing about freshman is they become sophomores. With one fifth of season gone is that true about Tate, Martin and Harris? Will we get senior level performance consistency from Dowtin and Langevine? Are the numerous scoring droughts an aberration or a sign this team has basic shooting woes? Is the defensive intensity enough? Will Walker make a significant difference?
1. True that Freshman become Sophomores. Toppin is better than expected. Hammond is worse at this point.
2. Martin and Tate have shown maturation. Not so for Harris.
3. Langevine is fine and Dowtin seems to be playing as a combo guard rather than the great PG he is for the good of the team.
4. Walker had better be the real thing for this year and beyond.

Manhattan is a filler game that will retard development of those players prone to sloppy play. The RC will be empty of students and season ticket holders. The positive will be if revenue from mainly season ticket holders exceeds game expenses and this must be what matters most.

I didn't see the game listed in ProjJo as being shown on TV.
NCAAs or Bust!
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years agoI didn't see the game listed in ProjJo as being shown on TV.
On Cox YurView per GoRhody.com
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Not sure what was expected from Hammond. I think he will help more in time.

Also Harris has gotten better.....not what we want or need yet, but there is some halting improvement evident.

Walker is a wild card. If he becomes a major contributor, that will help the frontcourt...a lot....and our ceiling will be higher than it appears now.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I can’t say I’ve been tracking this super closely, and this is a non-scientific observation, but I wanna suggest that this is the worst pre-game thread in the history of this board. I just read thru it and a few posts aside, this thread is just full of bad, wrong and dreary takes and opinions. Why? We should do better!
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......OK, I want a beat down on the Jaspers, a laffer stomp them out, Harris monster game, a few high lite reel material from a Toppin, Jeff back in his groove, bench contributions, Fatts being a Fatts, Martin and Tate showing why they are far, far better than MAAC level......a game that clearly shows the difference in A-10 and MAAC conferences......leave no doubts.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Agree 105. And hopefully gtake care if business early enough that Hammond can get some extended run at guard. I don’t know that we are going to survive without another ball handling option over the course of 30 games so he needs reps. These are the opportunities to get him some and save a little tread on Fatts’ and Jeff’s fires at the same time.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Fatts is currently tied for 1st place in steals in D1.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I’m going to the game despite the depression I feel after reading this thread
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago I’m going to the game despite the depression I feel after reading this thread
Lucky! I wish I was going.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I can’t say I’ve been tracking this super closely, and this is a non-scientific observation, but I wanna suggest that this is the worst pre-game thread in the history of this board. I just read thru it and a few posts aside, this thread is just full of bad, wrong and dreary takes and opinions. Why? We should do better!
Look spat the posters’ names on the thread. They have been the “negative” posters for years. It is just that they have a higher percentage of the posts on this thread compared to other pre-game threads.
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago They’re not going to lose to Manhattan, and if they somehow do it will have nothing to do with the crowd. That’s not an excuse.
Kentucky wasn’t going to lose to Evansville.

Then they did.

We’re no way shape or form good enough to think we’ll win just by showing up.

With that being said, still taking Rhody -14.
No way Duke was losing to SFA at -27.5.

But....
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago

Just doombone doing doombone things.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago They’re not going to lose to Manhattan, and if they somehow do it will have nothing to do with the crowd. That’s not an excuse.
Kentucky wasn’t going to lose to Evansville.

Then they did.

We’re no way shape or form good enough to think we’ll win just by showing up.

With that being said, still taking Rhody -14.
No way Duke was losing to SFA at -27.5.

But....
I could make an argument about the exception proving the rule, or make the obvious point that these things sometimes happen but tail risk doesn’t change the very strong probability against such events. But also consider that Duke and Kentucky are (perpetually) young teams susceptible to early season slip ups like this, and that it also doesn’t matter for them because they will play and beat a ton of tournament teams between now and March and so the loss won’t cost them anything in the long run. URI doesn’t have that luxury and they know that.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Where is everybody,?!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Cue app should be renamed "Waiting to Sync".
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

A little better ...

A little better
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

First basket of the game was a beautiful looking play.
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

It would be beautiful if this was the game that Harris got a couple shots to drop from the outside.
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Nothing against stone freemen but why can’t they sync up Steve and don with the video? Maybe use stone as sideline reporter?
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Letting Manhattan get too any easy buckets. These guys aren't THAT good.
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Also, looks like Manhattan has scouted us. Went to a zone pretty early.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Looking ROUGH
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Not worried or anything.

We started off nice then.... yuck
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Don’t ruin my turkey day

-LETS GO RHODY
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

It just occurred to me that golfers on the PGA tour have a better statistical chance of getting it in the hole from the tee than these two teams have of getting the ball in the basket from 12-20 feet out.
LamonteUlmer15
Michael Andersen

Unread post by LamonteUlmer15 »

This game might be legit rigged. Refs want Fatts outta here.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

on second thought, I don't care if you win ugly, so long as you win
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Haven’t seen Sheppard on/around the bench today.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

We are getting our mojo back a little!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

11 TOs with 4 mins left in half.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’d really like it if YurView didn’t go blurry every 17 seconds. Good lord this production is embarrassing.
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

JH is lost out there

We are gonna be screwed next year w/o Cyril
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Thank God we are rebounding and shooting our free throws well.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I don’t see Harris getting better. At all.

He’s way too stiff, rigid, and just doesn’t look athletic at all when he moves.
Go Rhody