11/22 | North Texas | 4:30PM (CBS Sports)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

11/22 | North Texas | 4:30PM (CBS Sports)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs University of North Texas
Montego Bay Convention Centre, Montego Bay, Jamaica
Friday, November 22, 2019
4:30PM

Media
TV: CBS Sports
Online: CBS Sports
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or iHeart Radio App

Previews:
North Texas Fan Forum

Rhody travels to the white sand beaches of Montego Bay, Jamaica to take on the University of North Texas Mean Green in the opening game of the Jamaica Classic. After beating Nicholls St at the Ryan Center, we have now reached the destination portion of this tournament. This is the first ever meeting between North Texas & URI. This is a game that Rhody should win but hopefully they aren’t looking past the Mean Green to when they take on former top 25 team LSU on Sunday. North Texas did play at VCU this year & the game came down to the wire with VCU squeaking out a victory but by just 3 points. Hopefully the rams in Keaney Blue get the victory as well with a bit more room to spare. North Texas is turnover prone, so I can see Fatts & Jeff swarming the ball forcing quite a few turnover. Have some fun in the sun but remember this is a business trip. Go take care of business. Go Rhody!

Opponent
Record:
2-3, 0-0 in Conference USA
Last season: 21-12, 8-10 in Conference USA

Rankings:
RPI: 339
KenPom: 181
NCAA NET: 147

Leaders :
Points – Umoja Gibson, 11.4 (Soph., G)
Rebounds – Zachary Simmons, 7.2 (Jr., F)
Assists – Umoja Gibson, 3.0 (Soph., G) (3.0 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 0-0
H: 0-0, A: 0-0, N: 0-0
Match-up Predictor: 62.7% Chance of URI Winning
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/22 | North Texas | 4:30PM (CBS Sports)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Every game this season is important. Need to win Friday. This team has a JUCO SG James Reese that we recruited and might have come here if we didn't get Sheppard.

Of course we know how that turned out.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Team Rankings gives the #85th URI a 74% chance to win over the #170th North Texas......URI now a 25% chance to make the Dance, down 12% from yesterday......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I think this game could unfold similarly to last night. Betting on a hard-earned win against a pesky opponent.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Every game this season is important. Need to win Friday. This team has a JUCO SG James Reese that we recruited and might have come here if we didn't get Sheppard.

Reese has started all 5 games and averaging 28 minutes per game
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Hate to throw the "must win" tag around on an early season OOC game - but we can't afford bad losses this year. We can absorb losses to good teams, but based on how tough our schedule is, and how tough the A10 looks (lol who had that sentence coming this season) - but we have to save the losses to come from the top 100 teams on our schedule. Take care of business boys.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

North Texas hung tough with VCU in Richmond earlier in the season. Looking at the results of their 5 games so far this season, they given up more than 60 points only once - a 23 point blowout loss at Arkansas in which the Razorbacks put up 66. Arkansas is one of the better SEC teams this season, pretty similar to LSU based on the computers, possibly a little better.

I honestly think Nicholls is legit good and the computers just havent caught up with them yet. Not sure I’d say the same about North Texas. The only thing that gives me pause is that they did give VCU a tough game. Still, I’d expect Rhody to play a moderately comfortable game here, winning by 3-4 possessions.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Every game this season is important. Need to win Friday. This team has a JUCO SG James Reese that we recruited and might have come here if we didn't get Sheppard.

Reese has started all 5 games and averaging 28 minutes per game
Reese is averaging 7.8 ppg and is shooting 37% FG and 33% 3P. He had his best game last night with 13 points (3-5 3P).
“We will be good when we are good.”
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

guessing we are favorites by 51/2. Certainly not a gimme!!

We will probably be 7-8 point underdogs to LSU. That means it is winnable--
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

51/2 favorites over North Texas
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree with Blue Man this would fall into the bad loss category so need a win here

I will guess URI -9
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Which means he will make at least three threes and have a really solid game against us...
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

Which means he will make at least three threes and have a really solid game against us...
Reese was much higher rated than Sheppard in the JC rankings.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

Reese was much higher rated than Sheppard in the JC rankings.

I guess we favored Sheppard for his PG abilities?
I remember watching film of Reese. He was in the Ryan Center with Buffalo raining threes on us.
Not overly athletic, but a good shooter and uh we would definitely take him now....

So would Sheppard he eligible next year IF he does well in school here?
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

UNT appears to be a good shooting team, especially 3-point shooting. Umoja Gibson is their top scorer and last year he set a C-USA freshman record when he hit on 99 treys. Jim Reese is not far behind with similar stats. UNT has good depth with no player averaging more than 30 minutes. UNT is prone to turnovers and steals and is a bit weak at free throw line.

UNT ended last season opposite to URI by losing eight of their last nine games and had lots of injuries as a promising start ended up bitter. With some newcomers in grad transfer, Deng Geu, from North Dakota State, Javon Hamlet a junior college transfer and Reese, UNT hopes the added depth will turn things around.
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

Anyone have any luck finding the game using IHeartRadio app? Seems like this year the game is on the B101 live broadcast station but not in iHeartRadio.
Keeping things in perspective...
Hurley (12-18):
Y1 8-21 (T14th), Y2 14-18 (10th), Y3 23-10 (T2nd, NIT), Y4 17-15 (7th), Y5 25-10 (T3rd, NCAA), Y6 26-8 (1st, NCAA).
Miller (22-?):
Y1 9-22 (14th), Y2 12-20 (T10th).
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

They can’t be shooting that good.
In their 3 losses they scored 43, 51 & 56 points. Shooting 33.3%, 37.5% & 40.4%.
Turnovers in those games were 18, 19 & 18.
“We will be good when we are good.”
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

rhodylocal wrote: 4 years ago Anyone have any luck finding the game using IHeartRadio app? Seems like this year the game is on the B101 live broadcast station but not in iHeartRadio.
I’ve used TuneIn radio. I have the app on my phone and it seems to work just fine.
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodylocal wrote: 4 years ago Anyone have any luck finding the game using IHeartRadio app? Seems like this year the game is on the B101 live broadcast station but not in iHeartRadio.
I’ve used TuneIn radio. I have the app on my phone and it seems to work just fine.
Thanks I'll try that on my next drive home from a home game. Mods want to start updating the game thread to show TuneIn radio from here on out because Rhody Sports Network braodcast for the games hasn't been on the I heart app once this year.
Keeping things in perspective...
Hurley (12-18):
Y1 8-21 (T14th), Y2 14-18 (10th), Y3 23-10 (T2nd, NIT), Y4 17-15 (7th), Y5 25-10 (T3rd, NCAA), Y6 26-8 (1st, NCAA).
Miller (22-?):
Y1 9-22 (14th), Y2 12-20 (T10th).
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rhodylocal wrote: 4 years ago
Thanks I'll try that on my next drive home from a home game. Mods want to start updating the game thread to show TuneIn radio from here on out because Rhody Sports Network braodcast for the games hasn't been on the I heart app once this year.
I've also been tripped up by the iHeart Radio thing this year. My baseless speculation is that because these games are on quasi-national things like ESPN+ and CBS Sports, that might preclude them from being streamed out of market on the app. (I say this because the last game, it played for about 3 minutes, and then seemed to cut out for me.) I'll have to give TuneIn a shot.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The radio info in the pregame write-up On GoRhody includes the tune in link.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rirams95
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Rirams95 »

North Texas plays really....really...really...slow.
They are #351 in adj. tempo. The only teams in country slower are Liberty and Virginia. Rhody is #93
They also commit a lot of turnovers, only five teams turn it over at a higher rate.

What they do well is grab offensive rebounds, defend the three point line, and get a good number of turnovers.
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

I've had the same experience. I don't understand it and am really frustrated by it. I always try to listen to Steve and Don, and used to go through great lengths to sync up the audio with the video. Thankfully Stone does a good job, but it's not the same as listening to the guys I've known since I was a little kid. Especially when it's national announcers who often mess up pronunciations (e.g., Cy-REEL Lan-GEE-Vine...)
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

TuneIn gives you the student broadcast, correct? Not Steve and Don.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

If you use the Tune In app you get the game with Steve and Don. If you use I Heart you get music. I can’t figure it out. I use the link for audio in the GoRhody app and it goes right to the Tune In app.
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

North Texas/Jamaica Classic preview.

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I have a feeling we’ll be seeing the keaney blues this weekend !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Weird "arena" with what looks to be a low ceiling - is there any danger of a shot hitting the ceiling?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Weird "arena" with what looks to be a low ceiling - is there any danger of a shot hitting the ceiling?
No.

It’s like a high school gym with nicer flooring.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Thanks for all the info on the radio issue...it was really annoying. I was just about to try and contact B101 about the issue then I saw the info about Tune in...I'll try that.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Weird "arena" with what looks to be a low ceiling - is there any danger of a shot hitting the ceiling?
More worried about Toppin banging his head on it.
(Last game, near the end of the first half,. he fell for an up-fake and the guy scored. But...he got up sooooo #@!$% high that... it was almost ok...)
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

How many people are they able to fit in that place??
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The big question

Do they having Wi-Fi that works in the Arena? :oops:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago How many people are they able to fit in that place??
About 120, 140 when they sell SRO
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago How many people are they able to fit in that place??
About 120, 140 when they sell SRO
Does that include the cheerleaders?
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

getting pumped up - got the DVR setup already so i don't miss the 1st half

let's go RHODY !!!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unfortunately the game time is as I get out of work, so will listen to the first half on the radio. Have it DVR'd so I'll watch the full game later on.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

CUT WORK BAIT !

hey mon - we are on (rhode) ISLAND time !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Need to turn them over and get some easy scores.

If it turns into a stand around game we will struggle.

If we can score 70 or more this is a win. Anything less and it will probably come down to the last couple of minutes same as Nicholls.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I’ve seen that Fatts is a gametime decision with his knee. Does anyone have any inside information?
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Somebody pointed out bad sight lines.

Looks like a shooters nightmare like a lotta HS/CYO gyms I played and coached in. Shoot the baseline/ corner ball exclusively till you figure it out. No fooling around in warmups/ layup line dial in that gym sight lines!!

Run the high post stuff and attack the basket!!

Nicholls State yikes did they forget to set wake up call? That loss could be a season wrecker.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Any Keaney blues make the trip to Jamaica ???
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I saw Koch say that Fatts has practiced this week.
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

There's still 4 minutes left in the EM/UMBC game, so I'm guessing the Rhody game will start a bit late.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......found game coming on 920 am on the dial.....Steve and Don.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

104.7 FM too
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

See who just scored 25 for Tulane. I wish we could get a scorer as good as that.
NCAAs or Bust!
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago See who just scored 25 for Tulane. I wish we could get a scorer as good as that.
Wow, 5-6 from 3. Man, if he ever shot like that for us he would have gotten more minutes and been fine, probably stayed. I remember him missing so many important open 3's last year. Always rooted for him, but he just never had the confidence.