Bob Ryan: College Hoop Scoring Woes

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Bob Ryan: College Hoop Scoring Woes

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Boston Globe's Bob Ryan consults Bill Walton and writes about scoring issues in college basketball.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/ ... story.html
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Bob Ryan: College Hoop Scoring Woes

Unread post by sf2010 »

Ugh...I really can't stand Bill Walton. I was listening to him cover the PAC12 tournament and he said: "This week has been one of the best, most exciting experiences of my life." I shit you not. Watching the championship tournament of a mediocre conference beats playing on national championship teams.

It also frustrates me when people start to say "Man, they really don't play the game like they used to..." OF COURSE THEY DON'T! Bill Walton talked about how he used to throw outlet passes all the time. Anybody ever notice (since the athleticism in college basketball is at a higher level than it has ever been) how many of those outlets get picked off? Watch Syracuse, Louisville, or VCU. They play three drastically different types of defense, but just watch how difficult it is to pass the ball at all without it getting deflected or stolen.

Should coaches not coach to the strengths of their teams defensively and let them play "street ball?" If that happened there is no question that people would complain about the lack of fundamentals being taught in the game today. And I don't doubt for a second that if teams were averaging 90 per game Walton and others would be complaining that nobody plays defense anymore.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I love listening to Walton. No filters at all.
I think the rules now favor the defense. I've
never seen so many offensive fouls as I have
this season.
John Wooden never overcoached, so Walton probably
thinks all coaches can be John Wooden.
I think the lack of mid range game has hurt.
Everyone wants to be on Sports Center, dunking.
Either that or 3 pointers.
The game isn't what it was. Most people think that is the case.
When Bob Ryan talks, I listen.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I agree with sf2010. I like coaches that are defensive minded. Just look at what Hurley did this year. He helped the team to compete and stay in every game by making sure URI was solid on defense. If we had let them play, many of the loses by 7 points or less would've been blow out loses.
I've enjoyed watching the tournament. Myself and some of my friends enjoy watching NCAA basketball more than the NBA because the kids actually compete and play defense. If you're a casual fan of a sport, or don't really actively play the respective sport, or are as dumb as a brick, or don't understand the nuances of the game, then I can understand how the game wouldn't be appealing. Now, I'm NOT saying a person is dumb if they find the sport to be boring or less attractive. Personally I think the way college basketball is played these days is much like the game of soccer. Both sports are or are becoming more intellectual in nature and therefore appeal more to that kind of crowd. Some people find soccer boring. Those of us who play it are very into it because we understand everything it entails and exactly what's going on....every move, every pass, every look and every run. The casual fan just wants to see the team score a bunch of goals or in basketballs case...score a bunch of points.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I hate soccer, and no matter how much ESPN tries to jam it down
everyone's throats, with their Euro highlights on Top Ten,
and spending half the show last week on some scoreless tie.
This NCAA has been the worst one in my lifetime. Just shit game after shit game.
Watch the 30-30 Survive and Advance about the NC State-Phi Slamma Jamma and tell me
the game is better now.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

well I love soccer, and if you know the game there is plenty of excitement in even a 0-0 draw if you are watching world class teams. if you are watching the MLS that is not the case, but i get why ppl struggle with it. tough to watch if you cant appreciate the intricacies.

i think defense is much tougher now. and i hate bill walton also, he should not be allowed to call pac 10 games given he basically cheers for UCLA during the game. he is funny because he is so not PC, but his shtick is shtick and its just as annoying as the next guy.

give me gus johnson and ian eagle, they are the best.
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Rod is right. There is no mid-range game anymore. They need to make the circle under the basket the same size as the nba. I believe it is small?
Love Walton and Raferty. I do not miss the angry old man billy packer.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Smokinjimit wrote:Rod is right. There is no mid-range game anymore. They need to make the circle under the basket the same size as the nba. I believe it is small?
Love Walton and Raferty. I do not miss the angry old man billy packer.

Onions!
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think Rod is 100% correct on this one. I think offensive skills have eroded. There is no midrange game. Travelling is rampant but never called. Same with palming (or whatever they call it now). That being said, the biggest problem is still that the best players leave early, so the teams do not have a chance to develop chemistry over a long period. Plus most of the good players never get a chance to become great players while still in college.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I'm far too young to speak to what most of you are discussing but one problem that kept coming up in the tourney were the amount of charges and block calls. Many times I felt the refs should have just let it go and let them keep playing. Blocks and charges are so subjective and seem to be called to often based on the momentum of the game.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Blocks and charges are just like pass interference calls in pro football.

You never can tell which way they're going to call them. And you're right, they call them too often in both sports.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Its amazing the amount of low scoring games we see
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I agree that defense is much better than it was years ago. But the other day Little Red and I, trying to remember a time that URI was relevant, watched the 1988 game against Syracuse. Both teams attacked the basket relentlessly. Think about this: the final score of that game, played with a 45-second shot clock, was 97-94.

BTW, it was weird watching Syracuse play mostly man-to-man defense.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I think 39 points by a team deep in the tournament tells you what you need to know. defense is better but players just can't shoot and have no idea how to move without the ball. Rod is right. The last great player I remember with a decent mid-range game was Rip Hamilton.
The three-pointer did a lot of damage.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I've read much better analysis than this on why points are down. One important factor that Ryan ignores is how technology lets the coaches have tapes of EVERY game that are broken down play by play. No matter who you're playing you know everything they run and you know the tendencies of every player. Talk to players and they will tell you how difficult this makes it on offense.
And, sorry, Bill, it was has nothing to do with whether the coach sits or stands during a game.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."