A10 Media Day

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

A10 Media Day

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: A10 Media Day

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody predicted for finish 4th.

Cyril - First team and All Defense
Jeff - Second team
Fatts -Third team

Spot on.

There’s no way anyone can say the A10 shafted URI with their preseason predictions like someone says every year.

(Wouldn’t be surprised if someone found a way though.)
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Mickey Mouse production. A10 Media Day production should hire 5th grade VoTech students. Maybe they wouldn’t have open mics broadcasting, and video would actually stream. Shameful!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Is the ESPN+ stream working for you all?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Rhody predicted for finish 4th.

Jeff - Second team
Fatts -Third team

Spot on.

There’s no way anyone can say the A10 shafted URI with their preseason predictions like someone says every year.

Im actually pretty surprised Fatts is a preseason all-A10 player. I think he definitely has the potential to get there, but you could make an argument that it is the most pro-URI result in the history of voting for pre- and post- season A10 awards.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

Jeff - Second team
Fatts -Third team

Spot on.

Im actually pretty surprised Fatts is a preseason all-A10 player. I think he definitely has the potential to get there, but you could make an argument that it is the most pro-URI result in the history of voting for pre- and post- season A10 awards.
How so?

I’d argue he is the most explosive/electric player on the team. And while I can name 10-14 players as good or better, I don’t know that I could name 15....
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I am surprised that Fatts is 3rd team also. Team picked to finish 4th in the conference has 3 out of top 15 players. Rhody has been picked much higher as a team (1st & 2nd) and not had three players on all conference teams.
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I mean the most obvious argument i could make is that if he just repeats his 2018-19 season he will not be an all-A10 anything. He also has the potential to lead the conference in scoring and has a ceiling of a 1st team player. If you want to say that smoothing out those two extremes puts him as a 3rd team preseason player, I’ll buy that. My point was more URI never gets the benefit of the doubt in these votes to the extent Fatts got it here. Don’t confuse that with a complaint.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I mean the most obvious argument i could make is that if he just repeats his 2018-19 season he will not be an all-A10 anything. He also has the potential to lead the conference in scoring and has a ceiling of a 1st team player. If you want to say that smoothing out those two extremes puts him as a 3rd team preseason player, I’ll buy that. My point was more URI never gets the benefit of the doubt in these votes to the extent Fatts got it here. Don’t confuse that with a complaint.
Makes sense, I’d tend to agree.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Here is your positive question from Donaldson. And people wonder why Rhody fans dislike him.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't know, sounds like a valid question to me...
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I’m blocked by Donaldson which should tell you all you need to know about my thoughts on his b-ball opinions, but I didn’t think there was anything wrong with that question.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I’m blocked by Donaldson which should tell you all you need to know about my thoughts on his b-ball opinions, but I didn’t think there was anything wrong with that question.
Right, I cant stand the guy, but I am kind of wondering how we are going to improve on 3 point shooting to!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Fatts scored 40+ in a game last season on the road. He absolutely belongs there.
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts scored 40+ in a game last season on the road. He absolutely belongs there.
So one game is the reason he should make an all conference team? He shot 34% FG and 22% 3P. He avg 2.3 TO per game.
The last time URI 3rd best player made an all conference team was it was Kenny Green.
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Full coverage from Brooklyn. Twitter account also includes quote threads from David Cox and Bernadette McGlade.

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Great coverage today Bill! Thank you.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I’m blocked by Donaldson which should tell you all you need to know about my thoughts on his b-ball opinions, but I didn’t think there was anything wrong with that question.
Right, I cant stand the guy, but I am kind of wondering how we are going to improve on 3 point shooting to!
Easy...a team just can't shoot any worse than they did last year. Just natural law of averages....
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

With all the flexibility the NCAA has given to big name transfer (with no rhyme or reason) Walker should definitely be playing day one. Love how Cox tried to bite his tongue not to criticize the NCAA.
...bunch of jokers.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am hoping Jeff gets to 1st team lesgue he deserves it
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts scored 40+ in a game last season on the road. He absolutely belongs there.
That's not a great reason to put him on any team. It's clunky stat but he was a net negative offensive and defense player last year in BPM. It is really, really hard to be a top flight player when your shooting is that bad. 3.7 assists to 2.7 TOs doesn't do it. 3 rebounds doesn't do it. This is clearly a vote on projection, which is fine, but he probably doesn't belong there the same way the other two belong on the 1st/2nd team. If he replicates last season, Fatts will hurt more than he helps. He took 14 shots per game last and made 34%. Taking as many shots as he does, he is bound to have a crazy game or two where he gets hot and drops a 30 or even 40 spot.
Ram96
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ram96 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

Jeff - Second team
Fatts -Third team

Spot on.

How so?

I’d argue he is the most explosive/electric player on the team. And while I can name 10-14 players as good or better, I don’t know that I could name 15....
Most upside potential but also statistically the worst shooter and arguably the most inconsistent player on the team.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Gonebarongone wrote: 4 years ago
That's not a great reason to put him on any team. It's clunky stat but he was a net negative offensive and defense player last year in BPM. It is really, really hard to be a top flight player when your shooting is that bad. 3.7 assists to 2.7 TOs doesn't do it. 3 rebounds doesn't do it. This is clearly a vote on projection, which is fine, but he probably doesn't belong there the same way the other two belong on the 1st/2nd team. If he replicates last season, Fatts will hurt more than he helps. He took 14 shots per game last and made 34%. Taking as many shots as he does, he is bound to have a crazy game or two where he gets hot and drops a 30 or even 40 spot.
I'd actually assume that if he shoots like he did last year, he's probably going to get benched and/or lose minutes to other players. If you put that kind of stat line up for one year, it's not great, but it's easy to say, "Look at his freshman year - His sophomore year is the outlier here." I'm also surprised he got a third team nod, since as you said, it's solely a vote based on projection.