Blue & White Tip-off

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Blue & White Tip-off

Unread post by Rhody83 »

“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Blue & White Tip-off

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Details
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

What’s the story behind this?? Almost like they forgot to have some sort of “late night madness” event and threw something together last minute. Should just create an event around the RIC exhibition. Basically 2 scrimmages in 4 days.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I love watching practices- got to watch one of Temple’s already, but that seems like a tough time for a lot of people. Nice to offer it, though.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The start time for the Men’s scrimmage is 7:15. Games start at 7:00
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago What’s the story behind this?? Almost like they forgot to have some sort of “late night madness” event and threw something together last minute. Should just create an event around the RIC exhibition. Basically 2 scrimmages in 4 days.
People are never pleased. A lot of fans from other schools have been negative about the elimination of any basketball at “late night madness” events.
Coach Cox doesn’t want the big hoopla. He wants the team to deliver.
This year URI will have four events:
Season ticket holder appreciation night where fans get to interact with the coaching staff and players (and free food & drinks).
A Rap concert for students that the players went to
The Blue & White Tip-off with a scrimmage of 12 high level players at 7:15 free to the public
An exhibition game against RIC on a Saturday at 7:00 Homecoming weekend with a reasonable general admission price.

Find something else to complain about.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I didn't realize an exhibition game was an event. Would be nice to see Cox ride into the RC on a Harley and get the fans pumped.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I didn't realize an exhibition game was an event. Would be nice to see Cox ride into the RC on a Harley and get the fans pumped.
Not his style.
Not every team has a home exhibition game. It really sucks. They should do something different even if it doesn’t get the team ready for their first regular season game.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago What’s the story behind this?? Almost like they forgot to have some sort of “late night madness” event and threw something together last minute. Should just create an event around the RIC exhibition. Basically 2 scrimmages in 4 days.
People are never pleased. A lot of fans from other schools have been negative about the elimination of any basketball at “late night madness” events.
Season ticket holder appreciation night where fans get to interact with the coaching staff and players (and free food & drinks).
The Blue & White Tip-off with a scrimmage of 12 high level players at 7:15 free to the public
An exhibition game against RIC on a Saturday at 7:00 Homecoming weekend with a reasonable general admission price.

Not a complaint- just questioning how/why it came about so last minute. I’m interested in seeing how many people show up. I’m having a hard time convincing myself to go to the RIC game- never mind a scrimmage 4 days earlier.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I agree with this. I can’t attend but I’d rather see a scrimmage than some gimmicky slam dunk contest.
Slava Ukraini!
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago

I agree with this. I can’t attend but I’d rather see a scrimmage than some gimmicky slam dunk contest.
I think the scrimmage next tuesday is more for students to attend. I doubt anyone (except for students who can walk) will drive over to see them practice. Anyways, I think it will be fun to see as a student.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I will be there for sure to watch both......love watching practice sessions......Go Rhody.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Several posters have expressed interest in an open practice. This is the open practice version.

URI doesn’t have a fan base that shows up for many events. Two years ago coming off the great showing in the Tournament and returning a Tournament level team the attendance was weak for the Exhibition Game against a strong Buffalo team - there was a suggested donation of $10 I think to enter. General Admission - could sit a few rows from the court.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago

Not a complaint- just questioning how/why it came about so last minute. I’m interested in seeing how many people show up. I’m having a hard time convincing myself to go to the RIC game- never mind a scrimmage 4 days earlier.
Why are you interested in how many people show up?
It’s just a scrimmage
There will be no additional costs for advertising, lights, heat....
Just like there would be a practice for the team
They used to have open practices a very long time ago, very few people went, but it was a good thing.
Jim Baron I don’t recall ever had an open practice
Jim Harrick did
Jerry D did not
Jack Kraft did
Dan Hurley did
I don’t think Al Skinner did
Tom Carmody did

I could be wrong on some of those HC’s
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

It’s just a scrimmage
They used to have open practices a very long time ago, very few people went, but it was a good thing.
Jim Harrick did
Jerry D did not
Jack Kraft did
Dan Hurley did
Tom Carmody did

I don't ever remember Jack Kraft having them. I remember looking through those little windows in the doors to Keaney gym to watch. Heard all about this new kid named Sly. I just had to see him play.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

It’s just a scrimmage
Jim Harrick did
Jerry D did not
Jack Kraft did
Dan Hurley did
Tom Carmody did

I don't ever remember Jack Kraft having them. I remember looking through those little windows in the doors to Keaney gym to watch. Heard all about this new kid named Sly. I just had to see him play.
What a great Coach Jack Kraft was. We were fortunate to get him to URI. Jiggy Williamson, Mark Cyzinski, Randy Wilds, Stanley Wright, Jimmy Wright, Sly Williams, Irv Chatman, John Nelson, Phil Kydd, Percy Davis, Willie Midddlebrooks.......and more. Wow. He really turned things around at URI from The day he arrived.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

If you post on this board and live close by, how can you not at least want to go to an open practice?
Maybe some folks are worried about missing the beginning of "This Is Us" ;-).

I agree with the lame showing for the midnight madness events in the past.
It is just not a New England thing.

When you do it right it, MM can be an awesome event.
When no one shows up, it can actually have a negative impact - especially if you want to use it to wow recruits ....
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It’s exciting to have this event announced. Can’t wait to go.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with 83 and Ramster. How can you not like this if you are a fan of this program? Some people will complain no matter what happens.
If you are within driving distance and have the free time and don't go to events like this then you have no right having an opinion or complaining about anything. Support the program or keep it moving.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

It’s just a scrimmage
Jim Harrick did
Jerry D did not
Jack Kraft did
Dan Hurley did
Tom Carmody did

Not that it's my $ but I'm sure they have to pay additional staff for the scrimmage they they would not normally have to pay
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Agree with 83 and Ramster. How can you not like this if you are a fan of this program? Some people will complain no matter what happens.
If you are within driving distance and have the free time and don't go to events like this then you have no right having an opinion or complaining about anything. Support the program or keep it moving.
I think it’s great. We will be there!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It’s just a scrimmage
Jim Harrick did
Jerry D did not
Jack Kraft did
Dan Hurley did
Tom Carmody did

Not that it's my $ but I'm sure they have to pay additional staff for the scrimmage they they would not normally have to pay
2 hours?

This is why we can’t have good things
Think BIG, we do!!
raminwarwick
Abdul Fox

Unread post by raminwarwick »

tHIS IS GREAT TO BRING THE GRANDKIDS. MAYBE THEY WILL BE ABLE TO MEET SOME OF THE PLAYERS OF BOTH TEAMS. tHE BOYS WILL BE AMAZED AT THE ABILITY OF THE WOMENS TEAM.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......I made a commitment to the new women’s coach to give my best shot at getting to more women’s games, where in the past I went to like 1-2 games, I have enjoyed conversations with her on her desired style of play......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Players are talking about a 3 point contest and dunk showcase as well...
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

I remember Saturday mornings before a noon time rhody football game going into Keaney gym to watch practices.

Skinner was the coach and I was amazed how great of a shooter mike brown was and how athletic Abdul fox was...

Just saying...
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......in an email, free stuff, sounds like an OK event, missing the RIC game, this will be my eyeball test of this years product......Go Rhody........can’t trust my eyeball test, cause I early saw Ryan Preston making significant impacts.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DJ IG story shows him with an ankle injury. Guessing we don’t see him in the scrimmage or exhibition game next week.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

RamIt! wrote: 4 years ago Players are talking about a 3 point contest and dunk showcase as well...
:o where did you hear about those?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram
Frank Keaney

I don't get this at all. They announce this a week before and they have recruits coming to this?
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I don't get this at all. They announce this a week before and they have recruits coming to this?
Be careful. I questioned the timing/planning of this earlier and I was told to find something else to complain about. Will recruits be impressed if the place is less than 1/4 full? I still have no idea what they are trying to do with this “event”.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
RamIt! wrote: 4 years ago Players are talking about a 3 point contest and dunk showcase as well...
:o where did you hear about those?
He said from the players
Do you want him to list the exact players?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I don't get this at all. They announce this a week before and they have recruits coming to this?
Be careful. I questioned the timing/planning of this earlier and I was told to find something else to complain about. Will recruits be impressed if the place is less than 1/4 full? I still have no idea what they are trying to do with this “event”.
This is from the email I received:

The Rhode Island men's and women's basketball team will open up the 2019-20 season with a Blue/White Tip-Off event Tuesday, October 22 at 6:00 p.m. inside The Ryan Center. The event, free to the public, offers fans a sneak peek at the 2019-20 basketball season prior to the men's basketball exhibition game versus Rhode Island College on Saturday, October 26 at 7:00 p.m.

The men's and women's basketball teams will be introduced during the event along with interactive skills sessions and situational drills by both programs and a variety of fan activities throughout the evening. Following the event, Coach Cox and Coach Reiss along with both programs will be signing autographs.

Notable elements of the tip-off event include:

· First 250 URI students will receive a free throwback jersey
· First 500 fans will receive free pizza courtesy of Twisted Pizza
· Dunkin' Hot Shot Contest to win Dunkin' coffee for a year
· Twisted Pizza Dash for Cash to win Pizza for a year
· Performances from the Cheerleaders and Ramettes

Doors for the free event open at 5:30 p.m. and parking is free, available in the Plains Road Lot. Concessions (snacks and beverages) will be available for purchase in the North Lobby. The men's team open up the regular season at home on November 5 versus Long Island University at 7 p.m. in the annual Salute to Service game. The women's team also hosts Long Island University in their home opener on November 7 at 7 p.m. Tickets are available to both games online at GoRhody.com/tickets or by calling 401-874-RAMS.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Would be a question that could be asked of David Cox Monday night at George’s - the night before the Tip Off Event. Or send your question to Don or Steve to ask why they are scheduling so late and why would they bring recruits in for a Tip Off Event like this.
Don’t question the KB Board but go straight to the top

From URIMBB Facebook page:
Bbe sure to join us at George’s of Galilee next Monday, October 21st from 6-7 pm for our next David Cox Radio Show Presented by Miller Lite. Stop by for some great food and drinks, and hear what Coach has to say as we begin to look ahead to the start of the 2019-20 season. Can’t be there live? Listen in on News Radio 920 or the TuneIn App.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

These are recruits that are ‘21s that can make it during the week from NYC (and have games on the weekends). It is their first visit and there will be plenty more. They have been invited to attend regular season games where the crowd should be 6,000+.

Rhody has 8-10 recruits (‘21s & 22s) coming on Homecoming Saturday and will watch the exhibition game. Again just an intro to the campus. The serious targets will see the RC packed for several games before reaching their final year in the recruiting process.

I think Cox knows what to do for recruiting but you should ask him your questions.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think what they are trying to do is throw open the doors and say “hey if you want to come watch this you can do that!”

This seems like just a casual but cool gesture to fans, and I’m honestly puzzled by the response by some here that seem to want a bunch of pomp and circumstance. Just seems like that’s a fundamental misread of what this is intended to be. People are entitled to complain about whatever they want, I guess, but it seems shortsighted to want everything to be a wrestlemania-style promotion. Eventually the novelty of that stuff wears off. I’m very, very good with the idea of a low-key basketball event for people that are interested in basketball.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
I think what they are trying to do is throw open the doors and say “hey if you want to come watch this you can do that!”

This seems like just a casual but cool gesture to fans, and I’m honestly puzzled by the response by some here that seem to want a bunch of pomp and circumstance. Just seems like that’s a fundamental misread of what this is intended to be. People are entitled to complain about whatever they want, I guess, but it seems shortsighted to want everything to be a wrestlemania-style promotion. Eventually the novelty of that stuff wears off. I’m very, very good with the idea of a low-key basketball event for people that are interested in basketball.
If you have reservations about how the Coaching Staff and the AD are handling things then just share your concerns with them.
Perfect opportunity would be Monday night and again on Tuesday night. Bringing concerns up here is fine, but you really want to go straight to the staff.

Not sure what has happened to the trust the coach group.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago These are recruits that are ‘21s that can make it during the week from NYC (and have games on the weekends). It is their first visit and there will be plenty more. They have been invited to attend regular season games where the crowd should be 6,000+.

Rhody has 8-10 recruits (‘21s & 22s) coming on Homecoming Saturday and will watch the exhibition game. Again just an intro to the campus. The serious targets will see the RC packed for several games before reaching their final year in the recruiting process.

I think Cox knows what to do for recruiting but you should ask him your questions.
Cox is the guy. His success lies with recruiting and that was his strength in taking the HC position. It’s only his second year and only his first full year with recruiting responsibilities. Let’s see how things play out.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If you have reservations about how the Coaching Staff and the AD are handling things then just share your concerns with them.
Perfect opportunity would be Monday night and again on Tuesday night. Bringing concerns up here is fine, but you really want to go straight to the staff.

Not sure what has happened to the trust the coach group.
I implore people not to complain about this to the coach or AD, or ask Steve to complain about it on the radio show or whatever. I would be deeply embarrassed to have our fans come off as that weird.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I wouldn't classify what I said as a complaint, more so a questioning query.
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

This is a great event to bring little kids too. Trust me they will have fun and plus get to meet the players after. This is how you build fan bases for the future.
This “ low key “ event is such a much better idea than any midnight madness.
It’s a great family night out to watch which hopefully will turn people to come back with the family for games.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I didn't realize an exhibition game was an event. Would be nice to see Cox ride into the RC on a Harley and get the fans pumped.
Not his style.
Yeah, definitely more of a red Ferrari kind of guy (I’ll never forget the person who complained about him doing that and referenced taxpayers).

In my mind, a madness type event is for the students and an open practice is more for other fans, and the best ones are those that make that distinction- less people to complain because they wanted something else. In any case, I hope the players have fun with it, and it goes off well.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I wouldn't classify what I said as a complaint, more so a questioning query.
If you’re really curious, I think it’s legit to ask why they opted for this type of event over a madness style event. I just hope we do t complain that nobody even rode a motorcycle onto the court at the scrimmage or whatever.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I wouldn't classify what I said as a complaint, more so a questioning query.
If you’re really curious, I think it’s legit to ask why they opted for this type of event over a madness style event. I just hope we do t complain that nobody even rode a motorcycle onto the court at the scrimmage or whatever.
It’s a legit question to ask why schedule a Tip Off game such as this with only a weeks notice. Will this be an annual event, and if so, can we let the fans know the tentative plans are to hold it every year? Nothing embarrassing about a question like that.

We might even learn that the idea just happened to come up and they decided to give it a shot at the last minute? Might learn that the idea came from Tammi Reiss or a member of her new staff - possible an idea that came from her experience at Syracuse. Never know, that’s why it’s a legit question to ask Monday night or anytime. I personally love the idea of the scrimmage and recruits being invited. Excited about going. But I respect the questions and concerns being shared and encourage asking the people who know the answers. Ask Shane who is very knowledgeable and forthcoming.
C2D1736A-F47B-4F4C-B44C-907851B8B54A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It’s a legit question to ask why schedule a Tip Off game such as this with only a weeks notice. Will this be an annual event, and if so, can we let the fans know the tentative plans are to hold it every year? Nothing embarrassing about a question like that.
I actually don’t think that’s a legit question at all, to be honest. I think that looking at it that way is just framing it wrong. If they wanted to tweet at 4pm that they’re having a scrimmage at 7pm and they’ll open the doors to the public for anyone that wants to come by, that is more than they’re obligated to do. They don’t owe fans a preseason event; if they want to do one, I think that’s cool. If it’s a Madness event, that’s cool. If it’s a scrimmage, that’s cool. If it’s an open practice, that’s cool too. If they want to put a lot of time and energy into organizing it and promoting it, fine with me. If they do not want to do that and just keep it casual, also fine with me. I don’t feel like I’m entitled to challenge their thought process about it, mostly because I feel like all of that stuff is extras that are peripheral to the core nature of our relationship to the program. So to the extent that there is genuine curiosity about why they decided on one option over another, I think it’s fine to ask some questions about that, but interrogating them about the decision making process in a way that is demanding and/or insinuates that they’ve somehow mismanaged it I think it a really bad look and comes off as a little weird and obsessive.

There are some things that as a fan I’m willing to be demanding about and hold people to account, but the messaging around a pre-season event is not a hill I want to die on - and all things being equal, my preference would be an understated, basketball-focused event rather than an overhyped hypefest anyways.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I actually don’t think that’s a legit question at all, to be honest. I think that looking at it that way is just framing it wrong. If they wanted to tweet at 4pm that they’re having a scrimmage at 7pm and they’ll open the doors to the public for anyone that wants to come by, that is more than they’re obligated to do. They don’t owe fans a preseason event; if they want to do one, I think that’s cool. If it’s a Madness event, that’s cool. If it’s a scrimmage, that’s cool. If it’s an open practice, that’s cool too. If they want to put a lot of time and energy into organizing it and promoting it, fine with me. If they do not want to do that and just keep it casual, also fine with me. I don’t feel like I’m entitled to challenge their thought process about it, mostly because I feel like all of that stuff is extras that are peripheral to the core nature of our relationship to the program. So to the extent that there is genuine curiosity about why they decided on one option over another, I think it’s fine to ask some questions about that, but interrogating them about the decision making process in a way that insinuates that they’ve somehow mismanaged it I think it a really bad look and comes off as a little weird and obsessive.
I don’t see it as interrogative
It sounds interrogative the way the points have been phrased on this board.
I love the idea of the Open scrimmage.
Some are concerned recruits will get a negative impression with not many fans in the stands partially due to the lateness of the announcement. Earlier scheduling could result in a better attended event - a legit comment.
It’s how the question is phrased as always in life. I’m sure how things get said on a message board will never be the same when given the mic on Monday night at George’s directly to the Coach.

No worries because my guess is this has died already.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The season can’t start soon enough. 😱
Slava Ukraini!
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

IMO, everyone should just say "Thanks, Coach!" and then don't let it fail by SHOWING UP for the event.
It's free - tell all of friends to bring their kids. Over by 8 o'clock, so even younger kids can go.
If this is something you want to see as an annual event, help to market it.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

A lot of wrangling over this; not sure why; no big deal one way or the other to me. I think maybe they have been working on their overall schedule pretty late this year. The regular schedule was not finalized until late; then working on the scrimmages; the exhibition etc. maybe they just didn't turn their attention to some sort of kick off until late in the process.