2019 Offseason Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2019 Offseason Discussion

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Just saw that. I have a feeling we MIGHT be underrating this team.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah’s contest gets more interesting?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago RhodyMBB insta just posted some behind the scenes from the photo shoot. It shows Toppin jumping over Cyril to dunk. Talk amongst yourselves.
You can copy links of IG post. Here it is.
“We will be good when we are good.”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Just saw that. I have a feeling we MIGHT be underrating this team.
I don't think so, at least not yet. Having us ranked as the 4th best team in the A10 feels exactly right for us at this moment in time. We haven't proved that we should be ahead of any of the Top 3 who all return as much if not more than we did from last year. I also wouldn't get too giddy about highlight videos and dunks, at end of day defense and making shots is what will win games and we have yet to see how we fare in either of those departments. I am cautiously optimistic, and I think this team has a high ceiling, but unrealized potential happens all the time in sports so we will just have to wait and see.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We’re underrating this team because guys are athletic and can jump high?

Am I really reading that right?
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago We’re underrating this team because guys are athletic and can jump high?

Am I really reading that right?
Nah. I think it's more we may have underrated Toppin.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Who are the top 7 rotational players at the start of the season and who are the top 7 at the start of A10 league play?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Toppin can jump thru the roof

This needs more likes. Head at the rim, arm above the box...sheesh...
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’d be shocked if the starters aren’t Fatts, Downtin, Langevine, Harris and Martin. Tate and Antwan make it 7. But I think the rotation will be at least 8. If so my guess Shepherd will be the 8th.
Slava Ukraini!
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Agreed. Rotation might be slightly larger in the beginning of the year as Cox sorts out the rotation. I see those 8 brig our primary names toward year end. With the possibility of injuries, who knows who will step up though.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

While I'm excited about this team also, let me just say that camera angles can be deceiving.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I don't understand why Dayton is rated above URI at this point in time when in reality, no one has seen most of Dayton's players play
for the Flyers as yet. They have lost their 2nd and 5th top scorers scorer from last season in Cunningham and Jordan Davis . so they return 3 starters
in Toppin, Crutcher and Landers/ Mikesell . They have brought in 4 transfers . How they will work as a team is yet to be determined. URI returns
6 of its top 7 scorers . losing Thompson and Preston are far less important losses than Cunningham and Davis . and I don't see Dayton's additions
as any better than Rhody's . So, I would think at least to begin, The Rams have the upper hand and should rate as no less than 3rd in the A 10.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Toppin can jump thru the roof

This needs more likes. Head at the rim, arm above the box...sheesh...
The camera angle is deceiving. Appears to be down at floor level. If the camera was at a level even with the hoop then I’d like to see where his head is relative to the rim and arm is to the backboard.

In this video released yesterday you can see how #21 gets up on two different dunks.....

Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

luke wrote: 4 years ago I don't understand why Dayton is rated above URI at this point in time when in reality, no one has seen most of Dayton's players play
for the Flyers as yet. They have lost their 2nd and 5th top scorers scorer from last season in Cunningham and Jordan Davis . so they return 3 starters
in Toppin, Crutcher and Landers/ Mikesell . They have brought in 4 transfers . How they will work as a team is yet to be determined. URI returns
6 of its top 7 scorers . losing Thompson and Preston are far less important losses than Cunningham and Davis . and I don't see Dayton's additions
as any better than Rhody's . So, I would think at least to begin, The Rams have the upper hand and should rate as no less than 3rd in the A 10.
144 Madness has Dayton ranked #51, URI ranked #79

A big difference is Obi Toppin was only a Freshman last season and is already chosen by some publications as A10 POY

In terms of minutes played:
Crutcher: 36
Davis: 33 - gone
Mikesell: 30
Cunningham: 29 - gone
Landers: 27
Toppin: 26

So Dayton returns 4 of their top 6 mpg guys of which Toppin was 6th. So you could say Dayton returns 3 of their Too 5 in minutes played PLUS Toppin who was Freshman of the year.

Dayton finished (21-12) and (13-5)
URI finished (18-15) and (9-9) and had to win their last 4 games to finish (9-9)

Good news is URI returns all 5 starters. One could say bad news is those starters were (18-15) and (9-9). What changes besides getting a year older, stronger, more experienced playing with one another? The Achilles heal was shooting proficiency being last of 353 teams. What does the additional year do in the regard?

Sheppard and Johnson come in as statistically proven 43+% shooters from 3 point range. If we are to leapfrog Dayton, Davidson and VCU I’d think considerable improvement is required with 3FG accuracy and therefore Sheppard and Johnson must see considerable Playing Time.

Excerpt from 144 madness re the 4 eligible transfers....
but Dayton will go to the next level thanks to four transfers. Ibi Watson, from Michigan, and Rodney Chatman, from Chattanooga, will add options on the perimeter. Watson was used sparingly with the Wolverines, but is a big, tough guard. Chatman averaged 13.2 points and 6.2 assists with the Mocs two years ago. The frontcourt adds 6-11 center Jordy Tshimanga and 6-9 sophomore Chase Johnson. Tshimanga spent two years at Nebraska and averaged 4.0 points and 4.6 rebounds two years ago. Johnson spent most of his time at Florida injured, but he is a very talented player who can make a huge impact if he can stay healthy. Dayton has the talent to reach the NCAA Tournament and win the Atlantic 10, but all of those pieces need to come together quickly if that is going to happen.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17798
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Starting the year I think Sheppard is first G of the bench and Walker is first off F. Tate will be sub for Martin.
By A10 season I could see DJ and Toppin working their way into the rotation for whoever is struggling.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

luke wrote: 4 years ago I don't understand why Dayton is rated above URI at this point in time when in reality, no one has seen most of Dayton's players play
Luke,

This is an article about Obi dropping out of the draft.

Imagine the excitement of Toppin vs Toppin?

Circle on your calendar:
February 11 URI @ Dayton CBSSN 7:30pm
March 4 Dayton @ URI SENIOR Night CBSSN 9pm

Could be Obi’s last regular season college game

Could be the most intriguing and most interesting Senior Night game ever depending upon how the A10 season play goes for Dayton and URI. Get your tickets now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dayton ... J/amp.html
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Starting the year I think Sheppard is first G of the bench and Walker is first off F. Tate will be sub for Martin.
By A10 season I could see DJ and Toppin working their way into the rotation for whoever is struggling.
Agree with this. Cox also has a lot of flex with combos based on matchups. Can go 3 guards w/Fatts, Sheppard and Jeff. Tate can probably slide into the 4 at times with his added bulk, and obviously his more natural 3 position. Antwan can be a 4 or 5 pending situation with Jermaine and Cyril (foul trouble, etc). Then you have DJ and Toppin who seem able to play a couple diff positions, again depending on matchup. Coach will have a lot more options, will be interesting to see how he uses them. But I see the depth chart to start as follows (subject to change based on practice and early season performance):

Cyril
Jermaine
Jeff
Fatts
Tyrese
Sheppard
Tate
Walker
DJ
Toppin
Long
Hammond

Not as much star power at the top compared to Dan's 2016-18 bunch, but definitely more quality depth (on paper), more athleticism top to bottom and more length.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seems obvious and I haven’t heard otherwise, but Walker is cleared to play from the start of the season?

I was just reading about that Wisconsin player Micah Potter and was reminded of the NCAA’s incompetence with such things.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

GO RAMS
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

From Wednesday's practice. Fair amount of ground covered.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... pen-season
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

For anyone on Twitter there is tons of footage and interviews from today’s practice. Some highlights:

Fatts saying Cox ratcheted things up 100% this preseason and was mirror image of Hurley type practices. And Fatts admitting that chemistry is at an all time high but that last year it wasn’t, and they were at each other’s throats at times.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 4 years ago Seems obvious and I haven’t heard otherwise, but Walker is cleared to play from the start of the season?

I was just reading about that Wisconsin player Micah Potter and was reminded of the NCAA’s incompetence with such things.
You were right in questioning Walker’s NCAA eligibility a week ago. Hope this situation gets approved soon.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Cryil’s IG story has them working on his right foot. Toe problem, ankle?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago Cryil’s IG story has them working on his right foot. Toe problem, ankle?
Minor sprain
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Check out the pic. They had his toes wrapped and it looks like they were using file. I don’t know. His quote was “The worst.”