Great news on Tom Ryan gift to URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Great news on Tom Ryan gift to URI

Unread post by Obadiah »

$35 million!!! I wonder if any will go to Athletics.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Great news on Tom Ryan gift to URI

Unread post by theblueram »

The guy is a legend. Thank you Tom for supporting this fabulous University!!!! Can you post the source, I can't find it in the news.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I couldn't find anything either. He's been instrumental to taking URI to a globally respected research university.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Heck yeah!

Any going to the basketball practice facility???

Heheee.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

This is advanced news and will soon be made public. About $1+million will go to the basketball practice facility's first phase.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Holy freaking mother that is amazing.
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

....if true, this January it will be two years since Dooley related to me the repurpose of the West Gym/court was the designated practice facility.......good things take often take its own slow bureaucratic slog.......maybe something bigger in the pipeline......?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I would do the same if I had his money. I love this school and only wish the best for the future students who attend here.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

At this rate we should rename URI to Thomas Ryan University. Go TRU!!
Slava Ukraini!
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Great news! Thanks for sharing
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I wish many alum had the same love for the school. We could always use more.
Last edited by theblueram 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Tom Ryan has already given URI some $20M previously:

1998 $250K to endow pharmacy chair
https://today.uri.edu/news/gift-from-cv ... -pharmacy/

2000 $1M gift toward the construction of basketball arena (CVS aslo gave $3M)
https://today.uri.edu/news/cvs-head-uri ... lion-gift/

2007 $2.5M to College of Pharmacy
https://web.uri.edu/pharmacy/2007/01/18 ... -pharmacy/

2013 $15M to establish neuroscience research institute
https://today.uri.edu/news/tom-and-cath ... institute/
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago This is advanced news and will soon be made public. About $1+million will go to the basketball practice facility's first phase.
😍
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Wow! That's not exactly chump change. Pretty cool Tom Ryan.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......interesting and not surprising the gift toward the practice facility is apparently part of a fund raising challenge with the community......wonder what the goal is......?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

In addition to the initiatives above, the Ryans are issuing a $1 million challenge to inspire community support for a new basketball training facility. The upgrade will benefit the men’s and women’s teams and make URI a competitive destination for recruits.
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Great,will give the board members a chance to step up.
I am in. Anyone else?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Great,will give the board members a chance to step up.
I am in. Anyone else?
They are usually looking for donations of $25,000+. That is what they did for the football field renovation.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Brian Forster
ARD

No,FB renovations were all the way down to $500-$1000.
it will never work at the $25K level IMO for any sport.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......designate revenue from parking fees......oh right, we don’t have them......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Parking fees are a pipe dream- you need a longer run of success to build a bigger fan base. The program has to basically give tickets away (or at the very least deeply discount tickets) to get the attendance numbers they currently have.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Great,will give the board members a chance to step up.
I am in. Anyone else?
We are in...we are ready to step it up.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Official release.

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago No,FB renovations were all the way down to $500-$1000.
it will never work at the $25K level IMO for any sport.
You have a different picture of the football renovation donations than I was told by the URI Foundation in the Athletic Dept.

I believe the goal for the practice facility is for a several major donors to pledge a total of $4 million (includes the $1 million from Ryan) and for the remaining $1 million to come from donations of $25,000-$100,000. Then the Athletic Dept will announce the project is going forward. It could be that some of the seed $4 million comes from student fees.

It just takes too many donations at $500 to raise $1 million. That would be almost $500 for every season ticket.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
I am in. Anyone else?
They are usually looking for donations of $25,000+. That is what they did for the football field renovation.
$25,000?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Someone should check .... who gives more money to URI the state of R.I. or the Ryans?
Slava Ukraini!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago Someone should check .... who gives more money to URI the state of R.I. or the Ryans?

I am laughing so hard I'm crying. I did a quick google and found this budget link: https://web.uri.edu/budget/files/URI-FY ... .12.18.pdf

Without combing through it right now.... the state gives URI ~6% of its operating budget from what I know. Tom and Cathy donate $53 million, if URI's operating budget is $530 million (I think it's got to be less than that?), then yes, Tom and Cathy just gave more to URI than the state does.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Forster
ARD

83-I know several people who gave $1K to the football renovation. My mom for one.
No big deal,i hope you are right.
Just to hear that $25K min. buy in # casually thrown around when well heeled soccer people can't come up with $100K to build a press box sounds crazy. I know how hard it is to raise $$. My point and others is there are waaay too many people giving nothing.
Hoops team would need to make an NCAA run to get checks stroked for $25K with ease IMO. There is also a slight "donor fatigue" factor.
Someone died recently and left Eng. $700K. So,anything is possible.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago 83-I know several people who gave $1K to the football renovation. My mom for one.
No big deal,i hope you are right.
Just to hear that $25K min. buy in # casually thrown around when well heeled soccer people can't come up with $100K to build a press box sounds crazy. I know how hard it is to raise $$. My point and others is there are waaay too many people giving nothing.
Hoops team would need to make an NCAA run to get checks stroked for $25K with ease IMO. There is also a slight "donor fatigue" factor.
Someone died recently and left Eng. $700K. So,anything is possible.
I agree with you. I think they could drum up excitement from the fanbase with a campaign for $500 & $1,000 donations.

You can also donate to the MBB Program. There are perks at the $500, $1,000, $2,500 etc levels.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This gift from the Ryan family is huge. It's very much needed and I'm glad some of it is going towards the practice facility.

It is a little disheartening though to learn that there is still so much more additional fundraising needed to get the project started. I was really hoping we were much closer to the project starting, but if additional money still needs to be raised I worry that we are still years away.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago Someone should check .... who gives more money to URI the state of R.I. or the Ryans?

I am laughing so hard I'm crying. I did a quick google and found this budget link: https://web.uri.edu/budget/files/URI-FY ... .12.18.pdf

Without combing through it right now.... the state gives URI ~6% of its operating budget from what I know. Tom and Cathy donate $53 million, if URI's operating budget is $530 million (I think it's got to be less than that?), then yes, Tom and Cathy just gave more to URI than the state does.
Taylor, you are mixing up different subjects here, let me clarify using the current year budget as shown in the link you provided.

1. The unrestricted URI revenue budget is $443 million. URI's overall budget is much larger, closer to $700 million when you add in all the restricted revenue. For example, if a corporation gives URI $1 million to study the best design in the use of plastics for automotive instrument panels, this is considered restricted revenue which cannot be used for anything else. The $1 million does help to pay the salaries of the professor, grad assistants, travel, other expenses etc and, as such, it does provide relief to the unrestricted budget.

2. The State's contribution to URI this year is $80 million, or some 18% of the unrestricted budget. The state's also supports URI through payment of the debt service on bonds which amounts to another $23 million. Adding the two figures brings the total state contribution to $103 million, some 23% of the budget. This is important facet in comparing URI support to another schools. UMass, for example, pays their own debt service out of their total state appropriation.

3. The state appropriation is a yearly event and as you see in the link, URI is requesting the appropriation be increased to $90 million next year. The Ryan $35 million gift is generous, but it is not a yearly gift.

4. All factors considered the state support for higher ed and its flagship university lags behind most other states.
dave11to28
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by dave11to28 »

Tom is an excellent Alumni and the university and us should be very proud to have him as a fellow alumni and supporter of URI. I made an additional $1K donation this morning to go directly to URI men's Basketball. Let's get this practice facility built....
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Obadiah thanks for the info. I was being facetious with my question.
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If the 4 mil has already been donated...start the construction already!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I’m definitely aware it’s not yearly from the Ryans, it’s more to point out the GA continues this paltry attitude when it comes to URI in response to 74’s comment. I was doing my math as a “hey how cheap is this state”.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago This gift from the Ryan family is huge. It's very much needed and I'm glad some of it is going towards the practice facility.

It is a little disheartening though to learn that there is still so much more additional fundraising needed to get the project started. I was really hoping we were much closer to the project starting, but if additional money still needs to be raised I worry that we are still years away.
Assuming the $4 million has been committed from several donors the fundraising should be completed this year.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago I’m definitely aware it’s not yearly from the Ryans, it’s more to point out the GA continues this paltry attitude when it comes to URI in response to 74’s comment. I was doing my math as a “hey how cheap is this state”.
Shouldn’t the new $175 million Engineering Complex be included as state support?
The Bike Path extension?
The new dorms by the football field?
Improvements to other buildings?
Engineering building was a humongous undertaking and will have. Significant impact on recruiting better Engineering Students and obtaining more research grants
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago I’m definitely aware it’s not yearly from the Ryans, it’s more to point out the GA continues this paltry attitude when it comes to URI in response to 74’s comment. I was doing my math as a “hey how cheap is this state”.
Shouldn’t the new $175 million Engineering Complex be included as state support?
The Bike Path extension?
Engineering building was a humongous undertaking and will have. Significant impact on recruiting better Engineering Students and obtaining more research grants
The politicians complain about student loan debt. Yet they fail to fund universities so in state tuition is affordable. Until they do that, it's all show. The gov wants free tuition. Just fund the schools so tuition is affordable, that's all.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago This gift from the Ryan family is huge. It's very much needed and I'm glad some of it is going towards the practice facility.

Assuming the $4 million has been committed from several donors the fundraising should be completed this year.
I hope so! I was at Notre Dame this past weekend for the football game, and spent a couple hours on Friday in their basketball practice facility which is pretty new. Now I fully understand we aren't an ACC level program and do not have ND kind of money floating around, but they took an existing space and renovated it for a dedicated basketball facility and it was very impressive. The news clip below has some good video of it. Also kind of interesting to hear the coaches talk about how long it took to get it done.

It definitely had me thinking about the possibilities at URI and what can be done even when renovating an already existing space.

https://abc57.com/news/notre-dame-compl ... e-facility
Brian Forster
ARD

The Bike Path extension?
[/quote]

No,that was a bond referendum. That would be like Keaney Blue members voting on what local bar to go to for a get together and wondering if there would be a bill. All the state did was push the bill for engineering bill onto the taxpayers.

True state support comes in one form=from the budget period.
Just push a button,give URI the $$. Instead of stupid entitlements like needle exchanges and drug addiction as a disability.
Brian Forster
ARD

sorry-push the bill for the engineering building onto the taxpayers.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Shouldn’t the new $175 million Engineering Complex be included as state support?
The Bike Path extension?
No,that was a bond referendum. That would be like Keaney Blue members voting on what local bar to go to for a get together and wondering if there would be a bill. All the state did was push the bill for engineering bill onto the taxpayers.

True state support comes in one form=from the budget period.
Just push a button,give URI the $$. Instead of stupid entitlements like needle exchanges and drug addiction as a disability.
[/quote]

Just seems to me it’s taking focus and attention away from the very generous gift from the Ryan’s by bringing up state support old as the hills subject.
Congrats should also go to Dr Dooley who continues to lead URI to new heights. The Engineering Complex is phenomenal and it was very well designed and publicized by the Engineering School.
URI continues to get more and more research money.
Dr Dooley is leading us to these new heights without letting the state support hold the school back
Things continue to look up. Construction everywhere.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago sorry-push the bill for the engineering building onto the taxpayers.
URI needed the Engineering Complex. URI will be able to recruit higher quality students because of this. URI will gain more research funding. This was a huge plus for URI.
Brian Forster
ARD

Ramster -you are correct,it was.
But the state didn't do anything for it.
The condemned track is also direct reflection on the states support.
Those kids do a great job also. Just give them the $$ for a new one.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago
The Bike Path extension?
The politicians complain about student loan debt. Yet they fail to fund universities so in state tuition is affordable. Until they do that, it's all show. The gov wants free tuition. Just fund the schools so tuition is affordable, that's all.
Exactly. When these bonds pass it is still the same old rigamarole from Smith Hill.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago

I hope so! I was at Notre Dame this past weekend for the football game, and spent a couple hours on Friday in their basketball practice facility which is pretty new. Now I fully understand we aren't an ACC level program and do not have ND kind of money floating around, but they took an existing space and renovated it for a dedicated basketball facility and it was very impressive. The news clip below has some good video of it. Also kind of interesting to hear the coaches talk about how long it took to get it done.

It definitely had me thinking about the possibilities at URI and what can be done even when renovating an already existing space.

It took you seeing an ACC practice facility in person to fully understand we’re not on an ACC level as a program? You have to be joking right? If that’s the case, you’ve had wildly ridiculous expectations for our program, and if other share your same sentiment, this program will never make everyone happy no matter how good we become.
Go Rhody
raminwarwick
Abdul Fox

Unread post by raminwarwick »

Thanks, Brian for mentioning the track. Rhody has not had an outdoor track for many years. I believe it was last usable in the 1900s, yet the teams are among the top in the a10. They also have fewer scholarships than most of their rivals. I know the answer should be to raise the money for it. Should they need to? Most High Schools and many Junior Highs in RI have tracks but the URI athletic department and the state can't. Name another sport that doesn't have a place to practice and compete.
I won't donate to something that is treated with no respect from the people in control.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago

It took you seeing an ACC practice facility in person to fully understand we’re not on an ACC level as a program? You have to be joking right? If that’s the case, you’ve had wildly ridiculous expectations for our program, and if other share your same sentiment, this program will never make everyone happy no matter how good we become.
I legitimately have no idea how that was your take away from my post, but thanks for playing anyway.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Haha I read his response to you and couldn’t figure out if he had maybe quoted the wrong post or something.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

There two aspects to State support for URI:

1. The annual appropriation which had been cut as a consequence of the Great Recession of 2018 and its impact on the state budget. URI funding is now just getting back to the pre-recession level.

2. Capital investment in facilities. It is this aspect that URI has recently seen a significant increase in funding with voter approval of new buildings for biotech, pharmacy, chemistry, and engineering. All of the bond issues in these disciplines were promoted on their positive impact on the RI economy and job creation. BTW, very few states use voter approved bond issues for higher ed and I am only aware of Maine and West Virginia using this approach; neither of which is leading edge state on higher ed. This approach is impossible in a large state like California with its 7 flagship universities, 23 state universities, and 117 community colleges. No, most states use special legislative committees knowledgeable on the facilities needs of state schools. In RI bond issues work when they relate to job creation, but what happens when the bonds are requested for softer values, like the humanities, the fine arts center, a library, an administration building and germane to this forum URI Athletics. Well we already know the answer to the Athletics question given the voter disapproval of the bonds to build the west stands at Meade.

It's easy to say that Athletics has to turn to private funding to get anything done, but the amount needed is daunting. The funding of the Ryan Center was done through revenue bonds which only needs legislature approval, but that project also required $15 million in private giving. (UMass alumni, in contrast, contributed zero to the construction of Mullins and could use a private funding approach for other projects.) This becomes a real dilemma given the "arms race" which characterizes all levels of college athletics. To re-build Meade Stadium with the latest amenities would cost over $30 million. The proposed basketball training facility will be built in two phases with the first phase involving a re-do of the old gym at a price tag of $4-5 million. The second phase is more costly and involves tacking on a two story addition at one end of structure - cost estimate for that phase is $20 million. The next priority is the outdoor track and how about stands for baseball, and a press box for soccer field......... you get the drift.