General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago No sign of JUCO forward DeVale Johnson all summer. Not on campus,
no updates and now we are offering another JUCO forward. Methinks
something is afoot. Perhaps Johnson is not coming / not eligible???
DJ is coming. He was finishing up courses at his JUCO.
Will be on campus Aug 26th.

Rhody has an open scholarship for this season.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I knew North Carolina stole are keaney blue color. Now they are stealing our mascot 😜
“We will be good when we are good.”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

These tweets about Posh Alexander’s commitment to St. John’s seem so unnecessarily dickish-

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 4 years ago These tweets about Posh Alexander’s commitment to St. John’s seem so unnecessarily dickish-

Goodman did this because he criticized the Davis hiring and made a comment about that he wouldn’t be able to get top recruits to St Johns. He is defending himself by reducing the recruit.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Per The Miller Report, 2021 SG Ed Holland of Wynnewood, PA Friend's Central is taking an unofficial visit to Rhody on 08/26. Holland holds offers from VCU and Old Dominion among others.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A nice pick up for The Patrick School.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I would almost guarantee his transfer is a precursor to him reclassifying to 2020. He is a man-child physically, looks about 20 years old, and I just don't see him spending 2 more years in high school .
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ace wrote: 4 years ago These tweets about Posh Alexander’s commitment to St. John’s seem so unnecessarily dickish-

Goodman is an asshole.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

Goodman is an asshole.
Agreed: I felt like he was a good news-gatherer/analyst years back, but he's become less a fan of basketball and now just roots for his opinions to be correct.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Exactly it, he is slamming a committed recruit to support his opinion about St Johns.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Goodman had given URI crap in the past.
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Looks like Pastore is letting everyone know that Mass Rivals pipeline is to BC now. Not a good thing for Cooley.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Looks like Pastore is letting everyone know that Mass Rivals pipeline is to BC now. Not a good thing for Cooley.
I think it was obvious when MAL left, he and his brother had high chance of landing at the same place. Jordan Vander Baan is a mid-level prospect. I’m sure MAL’s time at PC rubbed some folks the wrong way, but I think you need more commitments than those three to feel like BC is going to dominate the Mass Rivals pipeline. They also really aren’t recruiting many Rivals players right now.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Pastore thinks he has more control over the top players than he really does. Geronimo and DeMarr Langford are top players. I talked to Pastore once after Dan had gone to UConn. He said Dan would never get his players and neither would URI because Dan hired his competitors (Boswell and Carroll who were still at URI). His top player last year Akok ends up at UConn.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Looks like Pastore is letting everyone know that Mass Rivals pipeline is to BC now. Not a good thing for Cooley.
I think it was obvious when MAL left, he and his brother had high chance of landing at the same place. Jordan Vander Baan is a mid-level prospect. I’m sure MAL’s time at PC rubbed some folks the wrong way, but I think you need more commitments than those three to feel like BC is going to dominate the Mass Rivals pipeline. They also really aren’t recruiting many Rivals players right now.
Agree with you RJ. No way Cooley was expecting to recruit well with Mass Rivals. Not the best relationship between PC and MAL’s father either. No way PC was ever going to get MAL’s brother.
Expressions is much better to be connected too.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

You do realize that David Duke and AJ Reeves came from Mass Rivals. Two Top 50 recruits last year.
PC has zero players on their roster from Expressions.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ed Cooley watched every Expressions game at Peach Jam.
I’m talking about the future

Cooley really wants Earl Timberlake and 7’ Hunter Dickinson If he gets those two he’s golden. Both solid 4-star players.
Also Bryce McGowens 2021 who will be playing at Lincoln in NC with Wood this winter is getting attention from Friar coaching staff.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Pastore thinks he has more control over the top players than he really does. Geronimo and DeMarr Langford are top players. I talked to Pastore once after Dan had gone to UConn. He said Dan would never get his players and neither would URI because Dan hired his competitors (Boswell and Carroll who were still at URI). His top player last year Akok ends up at UConn.
Cox hired Carroll. It’s always fun when a bloviating fool who think he’s important comes to realize he’s not. There are a lot of other good people involved in AAU who do put the kids first. Be better, Vin.

And Akok is going to be great.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Ed Cooley watched every Expressions game at Peach Jam.

Cooley really wants Earl Timberlake and 7’ Hunter Dickinson If he gets those two he’s golden. Both solid 4-star players.
Also Bryce McGowens 2021 who will be playing at Lincoln in NC with Wood this winter is getting attention from Friar coaching staff.
So now we measure a college’s connection to an AAU program by the number of games the HC watches at PJ :)
PC has made zero offers to ‘20 recruits from Expressions. The only two N.E. ‘20 recruits that PC has offered played for Mass Rivals.
PC has made zero offers to ‘21 recruits from Expressions.
Cooley was probably watching ‘21s Clarke (PC has no chance) and Joseph. PC hasn’t made an offer to either of them.

PC/Cooley are trying to expand their recruiting even more nationally. They are on the final list for many ‘20 recruits. It’s a big recruiting class for Cooley. Let’s see how he does against some major competition.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Ed Cooley watched every Expressions game at Peach Jam.

So now we measure a college’s connection to an AAU program by the number of games the HC watches at PJ :)
PC has made zero offers to ‘20 recruits from Expressions. The only two N.E. ‘20 recruits that PC has offered played for Mass Rivals.
PC has made zero offers to ‘21 recruits from Expressions.
Cooley was probably watching ‘21s Clarke (PC has no chance) and Joseph. PC hasn’t made an offer to either of them.

PC/Cooley are trying to expand their recruiting even more nationally. They are on the final list for many ‘20 recruits. It’s a big recruiting class for Cooley. Let’s see how he does against some major competition.
Just because offers are not in twitter does not mean players are not being recruited.
My point about Expressions was that his interests might lie elsewhere from mass Rivals.
I am no PC fan as most all here know, but Cooley and his staff are making a lot of noise this year on the recruiting trail.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Looks like all those Expressions games Cooley went to at PJ aren’t really paying off.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Throwing a bone to local BC amongst Duke and Kentucky
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yeah...BC has a chance.....NOT
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Yeah...BC has a chance.....NOT
BC has no chance here but they definitely seemed to have turned the corner in recruiting. Buddy of mine knows Vin Pastore really well and they are close to making Mass Rivals a feeder type program. He loves Jim Christian. Ashton-Langford (former top 100) just transferred there from PC. He's just a guy but the younger brother (Demarr) is a 2020 top 100 and Jordan Geronimo is, too. Both have visits there this month. The AAU team that sent a top 100 to BC in 2018 (Team Loaded NC) has a top 50 PG that is visiting this weekend. Christian took over a recruiting disaster at BC, did a nice job recruiting some NBA guards, and is starting to pick up steam on the recruiting scene. Also got a former five star to grad transfer this year. They don't cross paths with URI often so I am rooting for him to succeed. Nice guy and Rhody alum. Great rep for finding and evaluating guard talent. People have finally taken notice.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like Christian too but that ACC is so damn tough . He is 62-100 and 18-72 conference in 5 years I wonder how long they keep him ???
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Looks like all those Expressions games Cooley went to at PJ aren’t really paying off.
Guess you could say that for all the Coaches who watched Expressions and don’t land their guy.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

It’s also not all about Expressions. PC was recruiting guys from other teams in that pool in Peach Jam. Lance Ware played for Renaissance. Elijah Taylor played for Team Final. Those are two off the top of my head where PC is on their Final 5/6 list.

As for Clarke, I don’t know has I ever heard PCs name as a team involved there. Me personally, I always assumed with Boswell at URI that PC was never going to touch Expressions players. Now with Boswell getting canned, who knows if URI lands any Expressions players.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago It’s also not all about Expressions. PC was recruiting guys from other teams in that pool in Peach Jam. Lance Ware played for Renaissance. Elijah Taylor played for Team Final. Those are two off the top of my head where PC is on their Final 5/6 list.

As for Clarke, I don’t know has I ever heard PCs name as a team involved there. Me personally, I always assumed with Boswell at URI that PC was never going to touch Expressions players. Now with Boswell getting canned, who knows if URI lands any Expressions players.
You are right RJ, it’s not all about Expressions for Cooley. With 4 games being played simultaneously the first 3 days of Peach Jam, Cooley saw a lot more teams in addition to Expressions.
He is recruiting some top players this year many of whom were at Peach Jam playing for strong teams.
This will be a very interesting recruiting year for Cooley and staff. Earl Timberlake and Hunter Dickinson would be huge additions to any team. Cooley is heavily involved with those two guys.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Does anyone have an update/news on a Cyril replacement in 2020?

Not being critical - we seemed to have had some really good momentum with offers to solid bigs and there's been little news lately.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Was on UConn’s list.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Josh Banks picks VCU over PC

https://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/platfo ... ssion=true
How long till VCU jumps ship from A10? They've been hitting on a lot of recruits, and their OOC schedule is consistently above the rest of the A10 (with exceptions like ours this year).
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Jump ship to where? They don't play FBS football so their options are limited to either the Big East or the American. Don't see the BE adding them ever, so it's really just the American. And they just had a chance to add a school even for basketball only to replace UConn and have said they aren't going to. IMO Dayton is a more attractive program than VCU, they have a long history, pack 13k a night into their arena and are Top 25 in terms of revenue generation. But Xavier will never allow them in the BE.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It’s interesting that on Sept 3rd not one ‘20 recruit has mentioned they will be taking an Official Visit to URI in Sept or Oct. I don’t recall being as this date in the last five years without an OV scheduled for Sept. I realize we have one commitment in Wood and that Leggett visited this summer. We need three new incoming players - one big and Leggett isn’t a guarantee.

This weekend with the football Saturday night sold out would’ve been a prime weekend to bring a recruit in.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Don’t worry dude, Carroll and TJ have deep recruiting ties and just look at Sutton’s track record since he arrived.

:D :D
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Despite losing our best 2 players after this year, we are still really loaded next year. I’m not worried at all. If we hit on Leggett, we got Wood (controversial player but I think he could be a really good in the A10), then just need a big.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Matt Cross commits to Jim Larranaga and Miami
Cross upped his stock in AAU playing with BABC this Spring and Summer.

https://miami.rivals.com/news/miami-lan ... matt-cross
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

:geek:
rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Despite losing our best 2 players after this year, we are still really loaded next year. I’m not worried at all. If we hit on Leggett, we got Wood (controversial player but I think he could be a really good in the A10), then just need a big.
Agree, but two big ifs in your post. If we get Leggett and if we get a big man. I would’ve expected visits from some of their top big man recruits this month.

Another option is the Cox wants to go for a mid year transfer for a big man.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Gonebarongone wrote: 4 years ago
BC has no chance here but they definitely seemed to have turned the corner in recruiting. Buddy of mine knows Vin Pastore really well and they are close to making Mass Rivals a feeder type program. He loves Jim Christian. Ashton-Langford (former top 100) just transferred there from PC. He's just a guy but the younger brother (Demarr) is a 2020 top 100 and Jordan Geronimo is, too. Both have visits there this month. The AAU team that sent a top 100 to BC in 2018 (Team Loaded NC) has a top 50 PG that is visiting this weekend. Christian took over a recruiting disaster at BC, did a nice job recruiting some NBA guards, and is starting to pick up steam on the recruiting scene. Also got a former five star to grad transfer this year. They don't cross paths with URI often so I am rooting for him to succeed. Nice guy and Rhody alum. Great rep for finding and evaluating guard talent. People have finally taken notice.
Hearing from a guy pretty connected to BC that they believe they're going to get a commit from Demarr Langford.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Geronimo committed to Indiana.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
Gonebarongone wrote: 4 years ago
Hearing from a guy pretty connected to BC that they believe they're going to get a commit from Demarr Langford.
Langford is #3 ranked NERR. BC already has a verbal from #9 2020 NERR 7’ Justin Vander Baan. Jimmy Christian making some noise.

https://newenglandrecruitingreport.com/ ... ss-of-2020
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Can I assume there are no recruits visiting this weekend? I haven’t read any mention of it. Would have been nice for one to take in tonight’s game.
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

There is
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

So which recruit was here this weekend?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

EasyEdBrown wrote: 4 years agoThere is
What does this mean?
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Camaron Tongue was scheduled to visit
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting article on how Calipari spent his Day 1 with visiting allowed.

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 35420709_1
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

EasyEdBrown wrote: 4 years ago Camaron Tongue was scheduled to visit
Was he actually on campus? Anyone see him? How did the visit go?