Is Fatts considering a transfer? (Spoiler: No)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Is Fatts considering a transfer? (Spoiler: No)

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Or am I taking too far a leap of faith here?

I caught wind of serious rumors earlier this season before the late turnaround that he was talking with Iona about a transfer... they were apparently ready to give him the keys to the program.

Now, today, via his own Instagram, he was at ASU - I'm sure I don't need to draw the Hurley connection there. Dan wouldn't take him at UConn to make good on his "family" talk... but Bobby has not made that commitment:

Now the ASU thing wouldn't worry me as much if it weren't for this GCU stop, as well... For those that don't know, GCU was always in the running for Fatts (as much as we all know it's a terrible, terrible call) because his brother was first-team WAC with GCU:

Is this something to worry about or am I just paranoid?
Last edited by the_one_mike 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Is Fatts considering a transfer? (with context)

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

the_one_mike wrote: 4 years ago Or am I taking too far a leap of faith here?

Via his own Instagram, today he was at ASU - I'm sure I don't need to draw the Hurley connection there. Dan wouldn't take him at UConn to make good on his "family" talk... but Bobby has not made that commitment:

Now the ASU thing wouldn't worry me as much if it weren't for this GCU stop, as well... For those that don't know, GCU was always in the running for Fatts (as much as we all know it's a terrible, terrible call) because his brother was first-team WAC with GCU:

Is this something to worry about or am I just paranoid?
I vote "yes"
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
I vote "yes"
Yes to what? Considering a transfer or me being paranoid? Lol.

Probably both tbh.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

No, he made the same trip at the same time last year. Either his brother is still out there or he has other family in the area (which could explain how his brother ended up out there in first place). Not a huge leap for him to text his ex coach (Dan) or his brother to see if he can get in a gym. If a kid is being lured away he likely isn't going to tag the location and post about it on social media.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago No, he made the same trip at the same time last year. Either his brother is still out there or he has other family in the area (which could explain how his brother ended up out there in first place). Not a huge leap for him to text his ex coach (Dan) or his brother to see if he can get in a gym. If a kid is being lured away he likely isn't going to tag the location and post about it on social media.
He has family in the area and a lot of the guys are still in contact with Daniel Marshall, too.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

I'd like to believe you guys that it's totally coincidental... but that's one hell of a coincidence if it is.

I'd buy into the gym thing if it weren't both gyms within just a few hours of each other. I understand GCU to ASU is a short ride but even if availability was a problem at one court, I doubt he was looking to run for 8+ hours without some kind of reason to do so (not to mention needing to drive to get over to the other).

This is something to watch, at the least, if you ask me.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I vote you are Paranoid about this.
Fatts’ brother Dewayne was born in Philadelphia but raised in Peoria Arizona. He graduated from Peoria HS and went to Northern Arizona before transferring to Grand Canyon University.
As has been already stated, Fatts has visited Arizona in the past
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Absolutely nothing to this. The kid is on vacation basically.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Paranoid
Fatts’ brother Dewayne was born in Philadelphia but raised in Peoria Arizona. He graduated from Peoria HS and went to Northern Arizona before transferring to Grand Canyon University.
Aware of this, it's in the OP. GCU has always been a contender for him, BECAUSE of what you mention, not despite it. If anything those details make it MORE likely to me that he's chewing on his options.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Yes he's going to leave a potential NCAA tourney team at the peak of his college career to sit out a year at Grand Canyon. And he's going to let those intentions known via transparent Instagram stories for anyone to see. I mean
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Same type of videos last August at GCU. Ace already mentioned connection with Marshall (and Bobby) to get open gym time st ASU. He isn’t going anywhere. He is visiting his brother. He spent the entire August break out there last year. I believe his mother was in one of his IG videos in AZ this past week.

Are you asking us to vote? I go with paranoid.
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This is the most tinfoil hat shit lol

Not to get all grad-level anthropology here, but humans visit with other humans that they know, sometimes traveling great distances to do so. And basketball players look for gyms to play when they travel. This is next-level silliness unless there is a lot more to the story than Fatts went to Arizona to visit people he knows and then visited other people he knows while out there, and he played some basketball while doing it.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Same type of videos last August at GCU. Ace already mentioned connection with Marshall (and Bobby) to get open gym time st ASU. He isn’t going anywhere. He is visiting his brother. He spent the entire August break out there last year. I believe his mother was in one of his IG videos in AZ this past week.

I vote you are double paranoid.
Also, you should probably stay off of IG for awhile and enjoy the summer,
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Yes he's going to leave a potential NCAA tourney team at the peak of his college career to sit out a year at Grand Canyon. And he's going to let those intentions known via transparent Instagram stories for anyone to see. I mean
I mean.

If we are being sarcastic to try and nullify each other's opinions, you define the "peak" of a career quite interestingly considering he was one of the worst shooters, statistically, in all of division 1 last year. Hah
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago This is the most tinfoil hat shit lol
Don't disagree, hence the tone I've maintained on this post. It certainly raised an eyebrow for me regardless of the validity in the end.

I hope you guys are right, though, because that would be tough pill to swallow. Program's morale would be at an all-time low.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago I vote you are double paranoid.
Yes, because using IG and enjoying summer cannot happen simultaneously... lol

But also hope you're right.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Please delete this post. It is baseless.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Please delete this post. It is baseless.
Asking a question is baseless? Please do explain.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Yes he's going to leave a potential NCAA tourney team at the peak of his college career to sit out a year at Grand Canyon. And he's going to let those intentions known via transparent Instagram stories for anyone to see. I mean
In a way, I’m fascinated by GCU. It’s such a sham of a school, but the gameday atmosphere is kind of amazing. Majerle seems like a guy who could maybe move up, but I guess he’s a devoted Arizona guy who’s happy where he’s at.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

ace wrote: 4 years ago
In a way, I’m fascinated by GCU. It’s such a sham of a school, but the gameday atmosphere is kind of amazing. Majerle seems like a guy who could maybe move up, but I guess he’s a devoted Arizona guy who’s happy where he’s at.
One of my exact thoughts and partially why this caught my attention.

GCU is on the cutting edge of where NCAA sports very well could be going; if student athletes are to be paid, it's schools such as GCU that are able to blend education with for-profit service that will probably begin the transition. GCU is definitely a case study, no doubt.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0ZYWJAlvuU ... jx7lrvtaflDid you also happen to conveniently miss fatts post an edit photo of him in rhody uniform that same day.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Somehow “sham school” turned into “case study” 🤔.
You asked is Fatts transferring or are you paranoid. Everyone answers one way and you respond basically disagreeing with any point that he isn’t transferring. So you wanted us to agree with you about his potential to transfer and not give you are opinion.

Just to add to why he wouldn’t transfer. He would have to sit out a year.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago https://www.instagram.com/p/B0ZYWJAlvuU ... jx7lrvtaflDid you also happen to conveniently miss fatts post an edit photo of him in rhody uniform that same day.
Man, it's the sarcasm I see here sometimes that reminds me why most message boards died years ago.

No, I didn't see that!! Instructions unclear, dick stuck in blender.
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Somehow “sham school” turned into “case study” 🤔.
You asked is Fatts transferring or are you paranoid. Everyone answers one way and you respond basically disagreeing with any point that he isn’t transferring. So you wanted us to agree with you about his potential to transfer and not give you are opinion.

Just to add to why he wouldn’t transfer. He would have to sit out a year.
No, "fascinating" turned in to "case study."

Some of you can truly be insufferable.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago https://www.instagram.com/p/B0ZYWJAlvuU ... jx7lrvtaflDid you also happen to conveniently miss fatts post an edit photo of him in rhody uniform that same day.
He did, but I think the confusion was that he reposted just the AZ gym stuff today. If you didn’t see the earlier set of posts, with the specific URI post, it probably read differently.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

He did, but I think the confusion was that he reposted just the AZ gym stuff today. If you didn’t see the earlier set of posts, with the specific URI post, it probably read differently.
Thank you, Ace, for at least accepting that me proposing this question is not as ridiculous as some here are trying to spin it.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

the_one_mike wrote: 4 years ago
Thank you, Ace, for at least accepting that me proposing this question is not as ridiculous as some here are trying to spin it.
It’s absolutely ridiculous. This thread should seriously be deleted.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Fatts wanted to leave with Hurley. Dan didn't like the way that would look. Would Bobby really want him after the year he had? Fatts' loyalty is to himself but I don't see how leaving now makes sense.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Check out his IG story right now. He just filled it with URI stuff. 13 post in URI uni. He also responded to a question - How do you like RI? with it’s cool. Maybe he saw this thread.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And he responded to someone who stupidly asked are you leaving URI...gee wonder who that was. Did you see his reply, are you still scurred? And to bring up another point, Fatts leaving would put the program at an all time low...clearly you either aren’t a fan or became one yesterday bc I can think of a half dozen way lower lows in the last 10 years. And I agree with DC delete this thread it’s ridiculous.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Same type of videos last August at GCU. Ace already mentioned connection with Marshall (and Bobby) to get open gym time st ASU. He isn’t going anywhere. He is visiting his brother. He spent the entire August break out there last year. I believe his mother was in one of his IG videos in AZ this past week.

Hey, I just saw Ben Simmons feeding a kangaroo. Instagram is magical! :)
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Also agree this thread should be deleted it’s baseless
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago It’s absolutely ridiculous. This thread should seriously be deleted.
Those in the know took the Iona rumors pretty serious last year, bro. Forgive me for being worried about losing a rare talent.

I pretty much agree to delete this at this point but I don't see exactly how on this board tbh. Not because I feel proposing this is that crazy a question, but because some responses - mine and others. This really isn't that serious and was never intended to be, hence including both, "Am I taking too far a leap of faith?" and, "Am I paranoid?" in the OP...
Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts wanted to leave with Hurley. Dan didn't like the way that would look. Would Bobby really want him after the year he had? Fatts' loyalty is to himself but I don't see how leaving now makes sense.
I tend to agree with this take and did before I even made the post. I expected more responses to this nature than some of the others...
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Check out his IG story right now. He just filled it with URI stuff. 13 post in URI uni. He also responded to a question - How do you like RI? with it’s cool. Maybe he saw this thread.
Wouldn't be surprised if he did. Probably not the worst thing for him to see us clearly hoping it's nothing more than a crazy what-if.
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago And he responded to someone who stupidly asked are you leaving URI...gee wonder who that was. Did you see his reply, are you still scurred? And to bring up another point, Fatts leaving would put the program at an all time low...clearly you either aren’t a fan or became one yesterday bc I can think of a half dozen way lower lows in the last 10 years. And I agree with DC delete this thread it’s ridiculous.
Not me. Hah

Also... don't have it in me to just let that snide shit go. Until this past season I could count the amount of home games I've missed on two hands a foot since my freshmen year in '08. Take that for what it is, as somebody who has lived in RI and commuted to Boston for my entire professional career. Would you make that drive through rush hour on a weeknight to usually only make the second half? Then drive another 35 minutes home after? Must be a pretty shitty fan!

Definitely an inflection of language there, my apologies... but man, you're kind of a dick, huh?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I’m sensitive to the idea of censorship here. I don’t want to delete a thread just because I don’t like it. It isn’t even the speculation that I don’t like, it is the outright silliness of this particular speculation - not trying to bang on the poster because he’s generally a good contributor here, but this is kind of embarrassing. Even the OP is asking me to delete it, so I probably will.

I’ll leave this post until the morning so some people can see it and know why it is eventually taken down.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I’m sensitive to the idea of censorship here. I don’t want to delete a thread just because I don’t like it. It isn’t even the speculation that I don’t like, it is the outright silliness of this particular speculation - not trying to bang on the poster because he’s generally a good contributor here, but this is kind of embarrassing. Even the OP is asking me to delete it, so I probably will.

I’ll leave this post until the morning so some people can see it and know why it is eventually taken down.
I truly don't even think it's that silly, man, given the context in which it was presented. Having questioned the idea from the beginning I think presenting the question itself is not that big of a deal. Probably just should have done it in a thread somewhere rather than creating one when things are dead here.

Just burn it. Was never wildly serious about it, intended to initiate discussion and not rumors, and what ensued did. Really not a big deal. Expected forum reaction, in retrospect.
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

I guess the friend he outfitted w/ a URI uni (well at least the shorts) on his trip is now coming to URI... Maybe Fatts is the new Assistant coach and recruiting? *wink*
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I’m sensitive to the idea of censorship here. I don’t want to delete a thread just because I don’t like it. It isn’t even the speculation that I don’t like, it is the outright silliness of this particular speculation - not trying to bang on the poster because he’s generally a good contributor here, but this is kind of embarrassing. Even the OP is asking me to delete it, so I probably will.

I truly don't even think it's that silly, man, given the context in which it was presented. Having questioned the idea from the beginning I think presenting the question itself is not that big of a deal. Probably just should have done it in a thread somewhere rather than creating one when things are dead here.

Just burn it. Was never wildly serious about it, intended to initiate discussion and not rumors, and what ensued did. Really not a big deal. Expected forum reaction, in retrospect.
It’s ok to have questioned it. You didn’t know Fatts had family there, nor did you know he had visited there last August as well. You knew Grand Canyon had recruited Fatts out of HS.
No need for censorship, no need to delete things. The thread will simply die just like most all other threads. No vulgarities, no character assignations in the thread.
Simply Freedom of speech. Don’t understand posters calling for moderators to delete threads or lock threads, never will. Let old threads die. Plus if Fatts ever does transfer to GCU it lets The_One_Mike Post say “I told you so” :lol:
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

It’s ok to have questioned it. You didn’t know Fatts had family there, nor did you know he had visited there last August as well. You knew Grand Canyon had recruited Fatts out of HS.
No need for censorship, no need to delete things. The thread will simply die just like most all other threads. No vulgarities, no character assignations in the thread.
Simply Freedom of speech. Don’t understand posters calling for moderators to delete threads or lock threads, never will. Let old threads die. Plus if Fatts ever does transfer to GCU it lets The_One_Mike Post say “I told you so” :lol:
The players know this board exist and they do read it. This is not one of those threads that need any further visibility. It’s embarassing.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

DELETE THIS TRASH!!!! IT'S ANNOYING AND EMBARASSING!
COMPLETE SPECULATION WITH ABSOLUTELY NO BASIS IN
FACT.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

He's going to Australia
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago DELETE THIS TRASH!!!! IT'S ANNOYING AND EMBARASSING!
COMPLETE SPECULATION WITH ABSOLUTELY NO BASIS IN
FACT.
Which is exactly what makes it interesting...
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Imagine if they had Instagram back in the barnstorming baseball days? “Babe Ruth is going to demand a trade to the Topeka team!!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I think “Fatts is loyal to himself” is a worse look than any transfer rumors. But really, no player or recruit or family member should ever read this place. Nothing good can come from that.

(pouring one out for Mr. Powell...)
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

i can’t believe this is happening 😂
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Think he's leaving the Sixers to play in Australia? ETA whoa just found out he's FROM Australia! It all makes sense! He's gone.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

This is crazy town.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

This thread is fairly irresponsible
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Until Pat Riley shows up in a convertible, this thread is nothing.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I thought this was being deleted this morning???
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

ace wrote: 4 years ago Until Pat Riley shows up in a convertible, this thread is nothing.
Three real-life URI basketball memories...

Randy Wilds taking off his warm-up pants only to discover he had no basketball shorts underneath.

Derek Groomes wearing a home jersey that had his name misspelled on the back.

Tavorris Bell sitting at the end of the bench eating a hot dog --during a game.
Last edited by reckless jake 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Haha Tavorris Bell. If you guys really want some good stories I should start talking about the math class I took with him freshman year.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I thought this was being deleted this morning???
Eh it turned fun.

It could have gone off the rails and turned into a complete embarrassing mess, but it seems like ultimately it was one poster who got a little overexcited and misread some innocuous IG updates, and literally everyone else saying “uhhh...no lol” and kind of goofing about it. It’s the dog days of summer. This place deserves to have whatever threads people want to post in.