Asst. Coach Posting?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Asst. Coach Posting?

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Mid-August? Wow.
The players last practice is July 24th or 25th and then they leave campus until the end of August.
From a recruiting perspective the rest of July is a Dead Period (no in person contact) except for Evaluation Period at the NCAA Youth Development camps (July 23-28). It is rumored that the recruits from AAU sponsored teams are going to boycott these camps. August 1-Sept 8 is a Quiet Period (only contact can be on campus) - because the current players are away coaches don’t schedule campus visits in August. August is vacation month.
“We will be good when we are good.”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Mid-August? Wow.
The players last practice is July 24th or 25th and then they leave campus until the end of August.
From a recruiting perspective the rest of July is a Dead Period (no in person contact) except for Evaluation Period at the NCAA Youth Development camps (July 23-28). It is rumored that the recruits from AAU sponsored teams are going to boycott these camps. August 1-Sept 8 is a Quiet Period (only contact can be on campus) - because the current players are away coaches don’t schedule campus visits in August. August is vacation month.
Seems like all the more reason why this should have all been resolved before July. I realize its not necessarily that simple of course.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Based on my work experience I believe that when an employee is out on sick leave (Carroll is out on unpaid sick leave until July 30th), the employer has to provide the employee with a similar job at a similar pay upon their return. So if they replaced Carroll before July 30th, they would’ve had to offer him an administrative position (no coaching jobs left) at $110,000+. Holding off one month saves URI that money. They also have to consider the legal issue regarding discrimination against a protected employee class. I believe people 60+ years old are a protected class. Carroll is 63 years old. Anyone in employment law or Human Resources might be able to speak better to these issues.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

The release isn’t clear. It says that the vacancy is expected to be filled by 7/30, but also references the mid August timeline for a completed staff.
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Based on my work experience I believe that when an employee is out on sick leave (Carroll is out on unpaid sick leave until July 30th), the employer has to provide the employee with a similar job at a similar pay upon their return. So if they replaced Carroll before July 30th, they would’ve had to offer him an administrative position (no coaching jobs left) at $110,000+. Holding off one month saves URI that money. They also have to consider the legal issue regarding discrimination against a protected employee class. I believe people 60+ years old are a protected class. Carroll is 63 years old. Anyone in employment law or Human Resources might be able to speak better to these issues.
Common sense is not common.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I believe people 60+ years old are a protected class.
Tell that to IBM who laid me off at 63.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I believe people 60+ years old are a protected class.
Tell that to IBM who laid me off at 63.
Sorry to hear that.
Layoffs are different than terminations.
Layoffs are the elimination of positions.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago It is certainly our hope that Coach Carroll's health will allow him to apply
How does URI prevent unhealthy people from applying?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 4 years ago The release isn’t clear. It says that the vacancy is expected to be filled by 7/30, but also references the mid August timeline for a completed staff.
It’s interpreting the wording. The wording says:
“and also ensure that the URI basketball staff will be complete by mid August.”
AND
“He currently is on unpaid sick leave, and this will remain in effect through July 30, at which time the department expects to fill our vacancy.”

So the July 30th date is in reference to the end of Carroll’s unpaid sick leave. The “at which time” is a little confusing.

I believe the job posting will be open thru either July 30th or Aug 1st so they can’t officially hire anyone until after the job posting is closed.

“basketball staff” also includes Director of Basketball Operations (TJ’s current position), Director of Player Development (Jerrell’s current position), Video Coordinator (Ryan’s current position). Once TJ gets hired as an assistant they will need to post and fill the DBO job. If others are promoted their positions will need to be filled.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago It is certainly our hope that Coach Carroll's health will allow him to apply
They don’t. They don’t have to hire people whose health would “not allow” them to complete the “rigors required to serve in this capacity” (assistant coach’s requirements).
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago
They don’t. They don’t have to hire people whose health would “not allow” them to complete the “rigors required to serve in this capacity” (assistant coach’s requirements).
I know but the wording (obviously the result of a negotiated agreement) is weird.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Based on my work experience I believe that when an employee is out on sick leave (Carroll is out on unpaid sick leave until July 30th), the employer has to provide the employee with a similar job at a similar pay upon their return. So if they replaced Carroll before July 30th, they would’ve had to offer him an administrative position (no coaching jobs left) at $110,000+. Holding off one month saves URI that money. They also have to consider the legal issue regarding discrimination against a protected employee class. I believe people 60+ years old are a protected class. Carroll is 63 years old. Anyone in employment law or Human Resources might be able to speak better to these issues.
"The law prohibits discrimination in any aspect of employment, including hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, benefits, and any other term or condition of employment." https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/age.cfm
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I believe he had a 1 year contract and also believe that once the contract is up all bets are off and the school has no obligation to continue his pay.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Reading the statement from URI and Carroll, and accepting that there are things going on in the background that will and should remain private, I think the University and athletic department are handling the right way, all things considered.

Everyone’s a critic, I get that. And obviously I wish that we were allowed to act more decisively in these matters. But with the red tape we are all aware of and with the complication of Carroll’s medical situation from a legal, ethical and moral standpoint, I want to just put a flag in the ground here that considering the constraints I think they’ve done as good of a job with this as they can.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Shane D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Shane D »

Hi all,

Because of state procedure policies, there are limitations to what can be said, but I wanted to try and help clear up a couple things.

Earlier this offseason, there was a job posting that many of you saw. This was for Kevin Sutton's position. Because of the timing of having to put together the entire staff last offseason, a one-year waiver was granted by the state to hire Sutton without a full search. When the one-year waiver expired, state process requires the position to be posted and a full search conducted, which was done. While Coach Sutton was already on staff, he could not simply be renewed without going through the search process.

There is one active search ongoing. Without getting into specifics of the active search, when openings are posted, they are up for 10 business days before the search committee can move forward with the actual interview process. Once the posting is active for the required period, the search committee must submit names for interview candidates, and those candidates must be approved by HR and Affirmative Action before moving forward with the actual interviews. This process can take time.

After the interviews, approvals must again be granted before any official offers can be extended. So while there is a 10-day posting, the process takes longer due to the various review/approval steps. If language is ever changed in job descriptions, that can add time to the process as well, as the changes must be reviewed at different steps before the job can actually be posted.

It is a process, to be sure. I hope this helps a little.

Shane
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Thanks, Shane. These rules are are arcane. Will there be efforts to streamline the rules without affecting EEO requirements? Surely other state universities need to follow state hiring regs?
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Maybe URI can stagger the hiring dates so this doesn't happen again?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Let's start some wild speculation: how about Sean McAloon, JD's high school coach who just won a national championship with IMG
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago I believe he had a 1 year contract and also believe that once the contract is up all bets are off and the school has no obligation to continue his pay.
You are correct about the pay that is why Carroll has been on unpaid leave since June 1st.
You are incorrect about all bets are off. He was out on short term disability.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Let's start some wild speculation: how about Sean McAloon, JD's high school coach who just won a national championship with IMG
This issue would be another coach with DMV ties (as far as recruiting)
https://www.imgacademy.com/people/sean-mcaloon

I think they go after someone with NY/NJ or New England ties.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago FWIW I always scope the URI job board and there are so many issues with the job titles and descriptions themselves. They still hire “word processing typists” and the job description says “must be able to replace typewriter ribbon”. I have no idea what that even means!
Not surprised at all and normally would be amused.
Oh I used to be disgusted
And now I try to be amused.

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

After all the discussion and speculation, turns out the Job Posting was not for Carroll or Ty's position but for Sutton's position.

Article posted on GORHODY

https://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/201 ... 0715fvupbf
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Shane D wrote: 4 years ago Hi all,

Because of state procedure policies, there are limitations to what can be said, but I wanted to try and help clear up a couple things.

Earlier this offseason, there was a job posting that many of you saw. This was for Kevin Sutton's position. Because of the timing of having to put together the entire staff last offseason, a one-year waiver was granted by the state to hire Sutton without a full search. When the one-year waiver expired, state process requires the position to be posted and a full search conducted, which was done. While Coach Sutton was already on staff, he could not simply be renewed without going through the search process.

There is one active search ongoing. Without getting into specifics of the active search, when openings are posted, they are up for 10 business days before the search committee can move forward with the actual interview process. Once the posting is active for the required period, the search committee must submit names for interview candidates, and those candidates must be approved by HR and Affirmative Action before moving forward with the actual interviews. This process can take time.

After the interviews, approvals must again be granted before any official offers can be extended. So while there is a 10-day posting, the process takes longer due to the various review/approval steps. If language is ever changed in job descriptions, that can add time to the process as well, as the changes must be reviewed at different steps before the job can actually be posted.

Shane
I wonder who had to explain these state hiring process and procedures to Danny Hurley back when he started. Lol.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago
Shane D wrote: 4 years ago Hi all,

Shane
I wonder who had to explain these state hiring process and procedures to Danny Hurley back when he started. Lol.
Hard to do business with

Reasons why R.I. came in 50th as worst state for business

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.c ... -2019.html
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

If there were 51 states RI would have been 51st. 100 states: “you betcha” #100!

RI= first in war, last in peace (first to declare independence from England, last to ratify the constitution). Kind of downhill after the Industrial Revolution.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Shane; U mentioned “approved by HR and Affirmative Action

I understand HR s role —re Affirmative Action -is there actually a formal group that has to sign off on a new hire?
Shane D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Shane D »

Hi McRam,

Yes, that is correct. The office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Diversity that reviews every applicant pool for every state job at the University. It is a two-person staff, and every candidate pool/official offer must be approved by one of the two people. It is separate from HR, and you can imagine the number of applications/resumes they review with every job opening the school posts.

Having served on multiple search committees, I can verify that they really do look at all resumes and will in fact question why or why not candidates are offered interviews. They do their best to make sure every search is approved in timely fashion, but there are times when a search process gets held up simply because of the sheer volume of different job pools that need to be reviewed.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’m not arguing against the need for affirmative action but if the volume is that great it seems crazy that it’s only a two person office.
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago If there were 51 states RI would have been 51st. 100 states: “you betcha” #100!

RI= first in war, last in peace (first to declare independence from England, last to ratify the constitution). Kind of downhill after the Industrial Revolution.
But....Awesome beaches, great place to live, it's all good.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

RI isn't the worst when it comes to taxes....CT has it beat there.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago If there were 51 states RI would have been 51st. 100 states: “you betcha” #100!

Right and we don’t have to eat at Arby’s
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

There won't be any affirmative action issues with this hire because of the makeup of the staff.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RI is lousy because half of CT flocks to South County each summer. Then again, South County doesn't really exist.
NCAAs or Bust!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

Hey you cant beat Arbys lamb gyros though!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago RI is lousy because half of CT flocks to South County each summer. Then again, South County doesn't really exist.

I'd say it's more like 3/4 of CT. :shock:
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

You can if you’re at a legit Greek place, which I happen to be at right now! So pumped for this gyro.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Position for Carroll’s spot isn’t posted yet. I would think it has to be posted tomorrow to close out the posting July 31st.
Based on Shane’s explanation yesterday, I would think they start the process August 1st and have position filled August 16th.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

You can if you’re at a legit Greek place, which I happen to be at right now! So pumped for this gyro.
I saw this at noon and was craving a gyro. But meetings kept me in the building and I couldn't go out for one. Tomorrow hopefully!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago RI is lousy because half of CT flocks to South County each summer. Then again, South County doesn't really exist.
Would rather be living where people flock 'to', than 'from.'
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Would rather be living where people flock 'to', than 'from.'
I agree with you
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Are we still expecting an announcement on TJ this week?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Are we still expecting an announcement on TJ this week?
Based on Shane’s post about all the steps in the process I would say no. It sounds like a minimum 2 weeks for the process. There isn’t anything urgent. TJ is already acting Ast Coach (and has been since late Feb).
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhodt 83, Don't agree that it is not urgent; just because we have done without for a period of time, does NOT make it ok for even two weeks.

We will never know what coaching development we have missed or what players we have not seen, or what relationships we do not have--even two weeks makes the issue that much more detrimental. In this competitive environment we need to maximize every minute.

I sure hope that Cox has his staff filled in his own mind and just waiting for the "swamp time" to end!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago Rhodt 83, Don't agree that it is not urgent; just because we have done without for a period of time, does NOT make it ok for even two weeks.

We will never know what coaching development we have missed or what players we have not seen, or what relationships we do not have--even two weeks makes the issue that much more detrimental. In this competitive environment we need to maximize every minute.

I sure hope that Cox has his staff filled in his own mind and just waiting for the "swamp time" to end!
My not urgent comment is that TJ’s responsibilities and functions do not change in the next two weeks one bit. He is acting Assistant Coach and in two weeks the acting will be removed. He is, has been (since late Feb) and will be performing all of the duties of an Assistant Coach.

Rhody has been hurt by being short one assistant since Ty left on June 1st. That will continue until Carroll’s position is filled in mid August. From now until August 15th the team has 1 practice left tomorrow. The players leave campus early this week once their final exam is over. From a recruiting standpoint we are in a Dead Period (no contact) thru Sept 8th except for the NCAA youth development clinics this week that none of Rhody’s top 10 recruiting targets are attending. August is vacation time for the coaches.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

When does David get much needed vacation time? If a coaching search is ongoing, he's not getting it.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Based on IG post from coaches in the past I believe the coaches take 1-2 weeks in May and 2 weeks in August.
rhodyrhodyrhody
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by rhodyrhodyrhody »

https://jobs.uri.edu/postings/6165

Coach Carroll’s spot
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

This just keeps dragging on and on. Took them 10 days to post the job. Interviews can't begin until the posting ends. Sigh.
reckless jake
ARD

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago This just keeps dragging on and on. Took them 10 days to post the job. Interviews can't begin until the posting ends. Sigh.
This is totally ridiculous. Are we administratively inept? An incomplete staff and an incomplete schedule just days from August 1st.

There is no sense of urgency or purpose in the athletic department organization. And I don''t mean the basketball staff.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago This just keeps dragging on and on. Took them 10 days to post the job. Interviews can't begin until the posting ends. Sigh.
This is totally ridiculous. Are we administratively inept? An incomplete staff and an incomplete schedule just days from August 1st.

There is no sense of urgency or purpose in the athletic department organization. And I don''t mean the basketball staff.
The athletic department is subject to state hiring regulations. Has nothing to do with a lack of urgency. Read above.
Common sense is not common.
reckless jake
ARD

RhodyRams12 wrote: 4 years ago

The athletic department is subject to state hiring regulations. Has nothing to do with a lack of urgency. Read above.
I've read all the posts above, even the ones by Shane Donaldson. You know what those posts are? They're all excuses to cover for the fact that tasks don't get done on a timely basis. Are we seriously committed to winning or not? If we are, then find ways to get things done. It's that simple.