'20 WV PG - Kaden Metheny (Bowling Green)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

'20 WV PG - Kaden Metheny (Bowling Green)

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Kaden Metheny - PG
School: University High School
Travel/AAU: Big Shots WV Elite

Ht: 5'10"
Wt:

RANKINGS:
Rivals: NR

OFFERS:
Rhode Island
Drexel
James Madison
Penn
Western Carolina
Youngstown State

INTEREST:
Georgia Tech
Virginia

http://verbalcommits.com/players/kaden-metheny
Last edited by URIRecruitingInfo 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
rhodyrhodyrhody
Frenchy Tomlin

Re: '20 WV PG - Kaden Metheny (Offer)

Unread post by rhodyrhodyrhody »

thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Nice looking player. Wish he was a little taller. Defense could be a problem at this level.
rhodyrhodyrhody
Frenchy Tomlin

URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He is too small for D1 college. We are recruiting PGs that are 6’5”.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Um, Fatts is 5-10
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago He is too small for D1 college. We are recruiting PGs that are 6’5”.
That is a ridiculous comment, especially at the A10 level.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago He is too small for D1 college. We are recruiting PGs that are 6’5”.
That is a ridiculous comment, especially at the A10 level.
A10? The Toronto Raptors just won an NBA championship playing 2 six foot guards at the same time for most of the 4th quarters of all of the Finals games.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Let’s see where he ends up. Tell me which ‘20 PG or SG recruiting prospect on Rhody’s list that you would take Metheny over.
His other offers are from Drexel, James Madison, Penn, Western Carolina & Youngstown State. He has visited Drexel, West Carolina & Youngstown State. Only two visits left.
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

He’s better then one of the 6”5 guys URI took in the 2020 class.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I nominate Slim for President of the Elijah Wood Fan Club.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Slim wrote: 4 years ago
He’s better then one of the 6”5 guys URI took in the 2020 class.
The funny thing is that you are probably right. Height with talent is obviously the best option, but we have seen tons of guys come to URI that had height, but no game. Agree on the defense being an issue though
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Let’s see where he ends up. Tell me which ‘20 PG or SG recruiting prospect on Rhody’s list that you would take Metheny over.
His other offers are from Drexel, James Madison, Penn, Western Carolina & Youngstown State. He has visited Drexel, West Carolina & Youngstown State. Only two visits left.
If you said we need to be chasing guys with more quality offers than him I would have agreed. But you didn’t list off his offers you listed his height.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Let’s see where he ends up. Tell me which ‘20 PG or SG recruiting prospect on Rhody’s list that you would take Metheny over.
If you said we need to be chasing guys with more quality offers than him I would have agreed. But you didn’t list off his offers you listed his height.
Height is probably the main reason that his offers are what was listed. After a strong AAU tournament last week he just added offers from Elon and Lafayette.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

This is the type of kid that drops 30 on us when we play a cupcake and I sit there wondering why he's playing on a lower level team.... He has no problem dropping HUGE numbers on higher ranked recruits....Reminds me of another guard on our team...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I admit that I am height prejudice when is comes to Rhody BB recruiting.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I admit that I am height prejudice when is comes to Rhody BB recruiting.
I don't know anything about Metheny but considering the heights of our best all-time PGs, I don't think we should be the program to outright eliminate recruits 6'0 and under.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

There are always exceptions. However, we do realize the college game has changed since Tyson played for URI. The ball handling skills of players 6’3-6’7” is tremendously better. Outside shooting of 6’5”-6’10” players has improved.
I like Gs that are 6’3” or taller.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I admit that I am height prejudice when is comes to Rhody BB recruiting.
I’m basically the opposite. I would say it is nearly a non-factor for me in terms of ball handling guards. Being a long team has advantages, but players much shorter than this kid have dominated in college forever. I don’t know anything about this particular player beyond what’s in this thread, but if the competition he’s been playing against is any good and he’s getting buckets, I’m interested. Even during the resurgent years since Dan turned the corner, I wouldn’t call anyone we’ve had a pure scorer. I’d love to get one.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago This is the type of kid that drops 30 on us when we play a cupcake and I sit there wondering why he's playing on a lower level team.... He has no problem dropping HUGE numbers on higher ranked recruits....Reminds me of another guard on our team...
Bingo. My thoughts exactly
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago There are always exceptions. However, we do realize the college game has changed since Tyson played for URI. The ball handling skills of players 6’3-6’7” is tremendously better. Outside shooting of 6’5”-6’10” players has improved.
The exception thing is obvious, no program is going to seek out short players. But the game has changed in other ways too. It used to be short guards were considered defensive liabilities because they could be posted up by bigger guards. That doesn't happen anymore, forwards don't even post up now nevermind guards.

I like Gs that take us to the Tournament. Silk, Garrick, Tyson, Preston, Terrell, and Garrett were all under 6'3.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago There are always exceptions. However, we do realize the college game has changed since Tyson played for URI. The ball handling skills of players 6’3-6’7” is tremendously better. Outside shooting of 6’5”-6’10” players has improved.
The exception thing is obvious, no program is going to seek out short players. But the game has changed in other ways too. It used to be short guards were considered defensive liabilities because they could be posted up by bigger guards. That doesn't happen anymore, forwards don't even post up now nevermind guards.

I like Gs that take us to the Tournament. Silk, Garrick, Tyson, Preston, Terrell, and Garrett were all under 6'3.
So was Jiggy. Strong as a bull, but about 6'0".
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The game has changed, yet a frail, skinny, unathletic and undersized PG is still amongst the Top 5 or 6 best players in the NBA. If you can play you can play, discriminating based on size is asinine in the context of an A10 PG.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Do you think the avg Guard has got bigger since 1998? Now you are comparing Methey to Terrell. Please. Terrell was 6’3” 215 lbs his Fr year. Btw Garrett (6’0”) didn’t take Rhody to the Tournament. He lost his starting job to Dowtin (6’3”). I would say Dowtin, EC & Terrell where the Guards who led Rhody to two Tournaments- all 6’3 and taller.

You don’t have to post a small G down on the blocks to take advantage of a height situation.

Height and Sr year played
Silk 6’0” 1988
Garrick 6’2” 1988
Tyson 5’10” 1998
Preston 6’1” 1998
Btw you missed the best Guard on that team Mobley (6’4”)

Guards listed on Rhody’s 19-20 roster
Fatts 5’10”
Jeff 6’3”
Sheppard 6’1”
Martin 6’6”
Hammond 6’5”

My point is that I wouldn’t recruit a 5’10” Guard. There are exceptions but they would have to show they can play against the highest level teams in high school/prep and AAU that have tall players at Guard and upfront because that is what they are going to play against at URI.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Do you think the avg Guard has got bigger since 1998? Now you are comparing Methey to Terrell. Please. Terrell was 6’3” 215 lbs his Fr year. Btw Garrett (6’0”) didn’t take Rhody to the Tournament. He lost his starting job to Dowtin (6’3”). I would say Dowtin, EC & Terrell where the Guards who led Rhody to two Tournaments- all 6’3 and taller.

You don’t have to post a small G down on the blocks to take advantage of a height situation.

Height and Sr year played
Silk 6’0” 1988
Garrick 6’2” 1988
Tyson 5’10” 1998
Preston 6’1” 1998
Btw you missed the best Guard on that team Mobley (6’4”)

Guards listed on Rhody’s 19-20 roster
Fatts 5’10”
Jeff 6’3”
Sheppard 6’1”
Martin 6’6”
Hammond 6’5”

My point is that I wouldn’t recruit a 5’10” Guard. There are exceptions but they would have to show they can play against the highest level teams in high school/prep and AAU that have tall players at Guard and upfront because that is what they are going to play against at URI.
I assume since I'm the one that said Terrell in my post that this is a response to me. I didn't compare Metheny to Terrell and I don't think you think I did either.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Well Terrell was a big guard who was arguably 6'3 so he is not like a Garrett Fatts or Wheeler at all.

There are plenty of guys that are plenty good to be on our team at 5'10.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I am obviously in the minority. I defer to the overall consensus. Let’s get this kid.
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Leggett is our big fish but as we saw last year sometimes we don't reel them in. So if he can shoot 3's/FT's well and not a liability on D (seems to want to prove himself) I'm for him being a backup plan (B or C).
rhodyrhodyrhody
Frenchy Tomlin

Watching his highlights he actually reminds me a lot of Fatts with his quickness/dynamic playmaking but obviously is much more of a shooter, not quite the same breed of athlete
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

At that size you have to be elite at something and most likely shooting. Fatts is a bit of an outlier in that he can find ways to score in the paint but he does have elite quickness. I am not going to argue that size is preferable if all things are equal, Of course it is.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Coach Sutton was in Illinois the last two days at the NCAA Development camp (he flipped locations with TJ for Session 2).
Watched some of Kaden Metheny.

Big Shots is playing PR director for Kaden because he participates in their events. This video isn’t from the NCAA camp. It’s his highlight video from Big Shots.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He’s the kind of shooter that will change our offensive identity.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Haven’t seen the kid play but if he can really shoot we should go get him, not everyone has to be 6’4
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Haven’t seen the kid play but if he can really shoot we should go get him, not everyone has to be 6’4
Currently two spots open for 20-21 team. One current open scholarship plus two Seniors graduating. Subtract the commitment from Elijah Wood. It seems clear that one remaining spot will be for a C/PF. That leaves one spot for a G or SF. So what order is your preference of Leggett, Miles, Stroud & Metheny?
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

83 I have seen none of these kids play so it's hard for me to comment. I will say that I think bigs are overated in the college game and between Harris Walker and Tate I don't think we need to get a big just to get one. If we can get our hands on an elite shooter then I think we should go for it.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago 83 I have seen none of these kids play so it's hard for me to comment. I will say that I think bigs are overated in the college game and between Harris Walker and Tate I don't think we need to get a big just to get one. If we can get our hands on an elite shooter then I think we should go for it.
Well if we trust in the staff (I know most KBers do), they have identified two needs for th ‘20 class - a PG and a C/PF. I am pretty sure that two of the three spots will fill those positions. The two PGs on the team are a Sr and a Jr. The one true C is a Sr.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I have a feeling this kid is going to be good for someone
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Picked up offers from Bowling Green, Holy Cross and Lipscomb over the weekend
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not the best of schools but if he gets an opportunity freshman year and blows up then he can transfer to a much better school
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Committed to Bowling Green